Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 3/10/2015 9:27:34 PM EDT
Don't. I am forever grateful that their are still people in this country that appreciate my service and that of a great many others, but it is awkward as shit when you get all "Thanks bud". I joined the military because my country was at war and she needed soldiers. That is it, and that is all there is to it for a lot of vets. I really don't want to come across as an ass, because I love that some of you care, but lets not make a thing of it. The following is a small list of things I would find helpful if maybe a few non vets followed.

1) If we are out in public don't tell people I am a veteran. I don't care enough about it to explain what I did to some hipster nerd at a bar.

2) If we are going to a movie don't ask about the "military discount" for me. I would rather give them the extra two bucks than hear about how the cashiers cousins step moms son in law is a Navy SEAL now because he was so good at being a Ranger.

3) Don't put "Now hiring veterans" in your job add. The only people trying to use their 88M MOS to get a job at Walmart are [sexist slur removed - Paul].

I don't want to hurt any feelings, but please, let us be. When I get around other vets all I want to talk about is how fucking awesome war is, but around most people I don't want to talk about it at all. Nor does anyone else.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#1]
People love it when you talk for them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#2]
................moving right along
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#4]
For this we promulgate, thy tankless man have spoketh for all ye vets.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:32:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't. I am forever grateful that their are still people in this country that appreciate my service and that of a great many others, but it is awkward as shit when you get all "Thanks bud". I joined the military because my country was at war and she needed soldiers. That is it, and that is all there is to it for a lot of vets. I really don't want to come across as an ass, because I love that some of you care, but lets not make a thing of it. The following is a small list of things I would find helpful if maybe a few non vets followed.

1) If we are out in public don't tell people I am a veteran. I don't care enough about it to explain what I did to some hipster nerd at a bar.

2) If we are going to a movie don't ask about the "military discount" for me. I would rather give them the extra two bucks than hear about how the cashiers cousins step moms son in law is a Navy SEAL now because he was so good at being a Ranger.

3) Don't put "Now hiring veterans" in your job add. The only people trying to use their 88M MOS to get a job at Walmart are faggots.

I don't want to hurt any feelings, but please, let us be. When I get around other vets all I want to talk about is how fucking awesome war is, but around most people I don't want to talk about it at all. Nor does anyone else.
View Quote

Sounds like you don't have the opportunity for any problems if you hide your veteran status as you do.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#6]
If OP had a tank, I *might* pay attention to what he had to say in regards to military matters.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm completely OK with OP's message. That being said,

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

3) Don't put "Now hiring veterans" in your job add. The only people trying to use their 88M MOS to get a job at Walmart are faggots.

View Quote

Got a fucking mouse in your pocket sparky?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If OP had a tank, I *might* pay attention to what he had to say in regards to military matters.
View Quote

How does one get said tank?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sounds like you don't have the opportunity for any problems if you hide your veteran status as you do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't now, but I did when I first came home.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sell your soul to Striker.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sell your soultrailer to Striker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sell your soultrailer to Striker.

fixed
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He gives you a leather strap to bite down on.  It's over quickly if you don't squirm.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#15]
OP is SMA Chandler?

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I simply reply, "it's been my pleasure and honor."  Then comment about the weather, or the Bears, or whether or not Han shot first.  (He did.)

They're trying to be appreciative.  I try to be a not-jerk.  We both win.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Many good men endured great hardships and general unpleasantness so we may have the freedom to thank whomever deserves it on any given day.

So A:  Thank you for your service

And B:  Eat a frosty dick
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After reading the OP, why the fuck would you even want one?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To become Ironic Hipster Vet?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really wish they had a hidden tank, so only others with a hidden tank could see it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Tank thread!
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I just say "Thank you for your support."

After that the conversation moves on to something else.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate you, not because you are french, but because invader aim was awful.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I really wish they had a hidden tank, so only others with a hidden tank could see it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stanks like retread.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Stanks like retread.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thought u dont want people to know you were in the military?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Stanks like retread.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stanks like retread.  
I'm thinking drunk.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Stanks like retread.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stanks like retread.  

I caught a whiff of that myself, just now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm off to make a sandwich board to let everyone know that I don't want everyone to know I'm a vet.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't want one I thought.

Then people might thank you and talk to you about war.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe he's a Marine.  You know how they like to keep on the down low.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Beats getting called baby killer and spit.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I love you. Not because you are a vet, but I now know where my avatar came from.

PS: It's Zim
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#34]
What was OPs MOS?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Sounds like that asshole who wrote the article about not thanking vets.

Or the one that wrote the article about Chris Kyles war not being his war.

Next time you want to talk for a whole community OP don't talk for the Vet community we greatly appreciate it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I simply reply, "it's been my pleasure and honor."  Then comment about the weather, or the Bears, or whether or not Han shot first.  (He did.)

They're trying to be appreciative.  I try to be a not-jerk.  We both win.
View Quote

This

Don't be an asshole.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#37]
OP, thank you for serving
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmm, retread?

Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#39]
well, i am not a vet, but i can kind if see where you're coming from.  i hate it when people thank me for shit or give me compliments on something i've done.  it's just awkward and i dont know what to say.

that being said, thanks for your service OP  btw, my moms dads brother was a special forces coast guard sniper in the army in ww1.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#40]
The fact that you took the time to make this thread....

I'd rather someone thank a vet than spit on them. I'm sure the vets that returned home from Vietnam felt the same way you do.

The old timers that wear the ww2 and Vietnam vet hats, I shake their hand and thank them for their service all the fucking time and I Dont mention a damn thing about my time in service. And i will continue to do so. And I will thank the younger vets for their service when I'm older also.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Go away
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#42]
So OP, how many tangos did you kill?  

Thanks for serving.  Sorry me and mine left such a mess for you young pups to clean up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Haha no!

If I find out you're a vet you're going to have to listen to my "I was going to join...but" stories like how I was going to join the USMC to slay dragons and lava monsters and shit, but I got a medical disqual in MEPS because I broke my leg in 4 places winning the big game in high school and then rolled my '72 Chevelle 5 times on prom night.

I may even throw in a "Do you know my cousin __________, cause he was in Iraq in '03 too!"
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#45]
You know, OP. You may not care. Great. But maybe someone is struggling with some "whys". Maybe hearing that helps put things in perspective for them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#46]
I like when my brother is in uniform, he's like a walking coupon.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#47]
To each their own man.

Best of luck in your civilian endeavors.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#48]
I agree with the OP and feel the same way sometimes. The few people I know that actively advertise that they are vets and ask for discounts are normally the ones that performed the least while in theater.

I do appreciate that people are trying to show us that they appreciate us, which is decent of them. I'm probably being overly picky, but when someone says "thank you" I would normally be inclined to say "your welcome" but that does not seem like an adequate response to why I served and what I did or did not do. ( I mean, I would not say, "your welcome"  "it was my pleasure"  or  "thats my job")

For me, if someone wanted to thank me, I'd be content with a nod, and the statement " to the Republic..."
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I had a great uncle that killed himself shortly after he returned from Vietnam. In his suicide letter he explained how he could no longer deal with the pain of the war and the constant reminder of being a "murderer" and "child killer" as he was called by anti-war hipster fucks.

I was very close to my aunt and have seen how much it still hurt her until the day she died. As a result I have always felt very strongly about thanking vets when I see them . If for nothing else then to let them know that no matter what they have gone through, I am truly thankful for their service to our country. Why they served does not matter.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#50]
In for the trainwreck...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top