Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an 825 score and 18 year credit history with no negative items like judgements or missed payments.  I've had as much as $50k in credit card debt, $40k in vehicle loans, and a half million dollar mortgage all at the same time.  The key is to use your credit...a lot.  View it as a tool.  I've never had any debt where I didn't also have a corresponding asset/cash available to pay it off (even the credit cards).  Sometimes I just have better things to do with my money and a credit card is a fantastic bridge that allows me to accomplish multiple goals simultaneously.

Ultimately, you have to prove you have no problem servicing large amounts of debt.  Run it up to the limit and then pay it off.  Always make payments well in excess of the minimum required.  If you don't have anywhere better to park your $$$ then debt is of limited use, but having large limits available can make you quite nimble when other opportunities come along.

ETA: I'm currently down to one mortgage, no car payments, and zero credit card debt.  Just looking for the next opportunity and not seeing much right now.  Already have my fair share of m855.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A credit score is really a "I love debt" score.  Despite the claims of people who say they have a high credit score but always pay it off, that doesn't match the components of a credit score.  They are:

1.  Payment History: 35 Percent of the Total Credit Score  It tracks both credit cards and loans.  Having no loans will lower your credit score.
2.  Outstanding Debt Amounts -- 30 Percent  Again having no outstanding debt lowers your score.
3.  Length of Credit History -- 15 Percent
4.  New Credit -- 10 Percent
5.  Credit Mix -- 10 Percent

So people who claim to have an 800 credit score and no debt are completely full of it.  I have a 760 credit score and I'm in debt up to my eye balls.  A credit score has no connection to how well off financially you are.  It is a score that says you will take out debt often, carry the debt so they collect interest, and make your payments on time.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dont worry about having the highest credit score. Its a fools game that will keep you in debt forever.
under 700 eh?  

A credit score is really a "I love debt" score.  Despite the claims of people who say they have a high credit score but always pay it off, that doesn't match the components of a credit score.  They are:

1.  Payment History: 35 Percent of the Total Credit Score  It tracks both credit cards and loans.  Having no loans will lower your credit score.
2.  Outstanding Debt Amounts -- 30 Percent  Again having no outstanding debt lowers your score.

So people who claim to have an 800 credit score and no debt are completely full of it.  I have a 760 credit score and I'm in debt up to my eye balls.  A credit score has no connection to how well off financially you are.  It is a score that says you will take out debt often, carry the debt so they collect interest, and make your payments on time.

LOL, no.  Just got my quarterly credit score update - 818.
Mortgage paid off in 2009.  I had a previous mortgage, paid in full when I sold the home in 2003.
Have not had an auto loan since 1991.  Bought a new car in Dec of '99 and Jan 2010, paying cash both times.
I charge $2K-$3K on credit cards per month depending on expenses (gas, groceries, cable, cell, ammo, guns, alcohol, dining out, gifts, charitable donations, etc) and pay it off in full, on time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm still in Chapter 13 for another 2 years. House is paid off. Truck loan is almost paid off. No credit card debt. Paying off the IRS and the creditors. Will be completely debt free with everyone paid off when it's done.

It amazes me that I am this high again. Before the real estate crash and the bankruptcy I was always very high 700s or just over 800. I once bought a new motorhome with just a signature and a 15% trade in, 1,000 miles from home (No that's not how I ended up bankrupt)

I'm getting credit card offers again for good cards. (I'm not taking them) It's hard to believe.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Do not keep too many credit cards open. If you have some you do not use, close them out and cut them up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do not keep too many credit cards open. If you have some you do not use, close them out and cut them up.
View Quote

This is a fantastic way to crash your credit score.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine stays around 700.  No consumer loans and no mortgage.  I plan on keeping it that way.  F#%k thieving banks and credit scores.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Over 800 for me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is terrible, terrible advice.  Do not close cards unless there is an annual fee you wish to avoid.  Charge a stick of gum every months to keep it current, and pay it in full.  Your credit score will be so much better.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#9]
@740 for me right now,house paid off, one payment left on my truck
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#10]

I checked my score as my bank lists it for free and one of my negative factors is that I have too few loans.  I only have a mortgage so I guess when I finance a car later this year my score will go up.  Seems kind of crazy to me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:33:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I've never seen so many 800+ credit scores in one place in my life. I work for an insurance company and see tier ratings and scores all the time, GD must not be an actual representation of the real world.

We all have 10" dicks, we are all debt free, we all make 500K+, our wives are all tens without pointy elbows, and our mortgages are all paid off.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:17:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've never seen so many 800+ credit scores in one place in my life. I work for an insurance company and see tier ratings and scores all the time, GD must not be an actual representation of the real world.

We all have 10" dicks, we are all debt free, we all make 500K+, our wives are all tens without pointy elbows, and our mortgages are all paid off.

View Quote

People with good credit are more likely to self-select for participation in a thread like this.  It's a sample bias.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck yea!

In all actuality, my wife and I are not debt free. In fact, I would like to think that its impossible because you always have taxes and utilities.

Additionally, my wife is a 10 (in my eyes), my dick is 8.5", and we make a combined $140k gross.

I'd say we are about the average.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Fuck yea!

In all actuality, my wife and I are not debt free. In fact, I would like to think that its impossible because you always have taxes and utilities.

Additionally, my wife is a 10 (in my eyes), my dick is 8.5", and we make a combined $140k gross.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck yea!

Bills are not debt, unless they are left unpaid.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is wrong advice

Op I bought a house with a 650 last year and my interest rate is in the 3s you're gtg with your score
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Your scores are more than fine to qualify as A rate the same as someone with an 835 score.

My scores were around 795-820 when I bought me new house a couple years ago.

Great job managing your $$ and being credit smart in todays society.

Put your effort into other things you need to focus on as your credit scores are rock solid.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#17]

I was around 750 when I was paying for my truck. Now that it is paid off, I'm at 720. Never defaulted on anything. I have 4 credit cards, and I owe $2600 for a personal loan, and I owe $700 for tires. Everything gets paid on time.

Not sure what my wife's is.

She has $48k in student loans left to pay off, $18k left for her car, no credit cards, although she was pre-approved for a Visa Black Card, but there is no way I would pay $500 a year for it. I'll stick to no annual fee cards.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What is the length of you credit history?
View Quote

That's the thing that always fucked me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dont worry about having the highest credit score. Its a fools game that will keep you in debt forever.
under 700 eh?  

Interesting that you claim to have the numbers and what they base credit off of, especially given that the algorithm is a trade secret.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#20]
6'4" 220, 12"
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#21]
You need to carry debt to carry up your credit score, it's a balance and not an easy one to get to the 850's.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top