Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2015 11:48:56 AM EDT
I have a female co-worker who was trying to buy tickets to the UNC vs Duke basketball game, this weekend.  Her and her boyfriend located a ad on Craigslist in NC for 2 tickets and parking pass at a decent price and sent the poster a email.  The story was that the girl that had the tickets for sale was UNC alumni and wasn't going to be able to attend.  My co-worker looked up the girl on Facebook and saw graduation pictures from UNC and everything looked legit.  The girl with the tickets was in constant communications with my co-worker and asked that send the money via MoneyGram.  The girl with the tickets emailed pictures of the tickets and a picture of a UPS overnight envelope that they were suppose to be mailed in.  So, my co-workers sends the money and that's when the communication stops.  The girl with the tickets has stopped emailing and has had no communication since.  All my coworker knows is her name is Melissa Reynolds, she lives in Asheville, and works for a company called Univision.  Do you guys have any suggestions on what she needs to do next?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#1]
She learned a hard lesson.  Seller could have used the Facebook girls name.

ALL Craigslist transactions are FTF with cash.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

She learned a hard lesson.  Seller could have used they Facebook girls name.

View Quote
yup

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#3]
She lucked out, basketball is boring as shit.

And as usual FPNI
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#4]
StubHub.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Anything that asks for anything other than cash on Craigslist is a SCAM, how do people not know this yet?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe a co-worker has been scammed. How would you handle this transaction?
View Quote

Try not to laugh in her face for being so stupid.  Some folks let the greed of an incredible deal override common sense.  She learned a painful lesson.

Have her call the Asheville police.  I'm sure they'll get right on that.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Scammer went on facebook and found someones name who went to UNC. The girl likely has nothing to do with it.

Anything other than a FTF deal with cash on craigslist is scam. Why this is so hard to understand for some people I don't know. When was the last time a legit seller asked for payment via money gram? Hint: never.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Pics of co-worker.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

When was the last time a legit seller asked for payment via money gram? Hint: never.
View Quote

My cousin did when he emailed from a Mexican prison last year, poor fucker was so embarrassed he pretends to have no recollection of the events.

Denial is more than just a river in Egypt
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Well, she got an expensive lesson out of it, anyway.

Pics of co-worker to establish level of stupid.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Another one pays the stupid tax
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
She learned a hard lesson.  Seller could have used the Facebook girls name.

View Quote

You forgot 'sidearm.'
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Even FTF off Craigslist isn't safe. I bought playoff mavs tickets from a guy one time for physical in hand tickets. Got to the game and was put in a line with over 60 other people that had all met up with and bought the exact same seats from the same guy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#14]
She probably fell for this one too

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Point, laugh.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a female co-worker who was trying to buy tickets to the UNC vs Duke basketball game, this weekend.  Her and her boyfriend located a ad on Craigslist in NC for 2 tickets and parking pass at a decent price and sent the poster a email.  The story was that the girl that had the tickets for sale was UNC alumni and wasn't going to be able to attend.  My co-worker looked up the girl on Facebook and saw graduation pictures from UNC and everything looked legit.  The girl with the tickets was in constant communications with my co-worker and asked that send the money via MoneyGram.  The girl with the tickets emailed pictures of the tickets and a picture of a UPS overnight envelope that they were suppose to be mailed in.  So, my co-workers sends the money and that's when the communication stops.  The girl with the tickets has stopped emailing and has had no communication since.  All my coworker knows is her name is Melissa Reynolds, she lives in Asheville, and works for a company called Univision.  Do you guys have any suggestions on what she needs to do next?
View Quote

There is a reason why Craigslist says that all transactions should be done in person and face to face!  Maybe your co-worker will grow up some day and learn to read. Me, I'm tired of hearing complaints about what happened after somebody did something stupid!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Pics of co-worker.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

99% likely your coworker was scammed.  Did communication come from the FB account? If not, then I'm betting the scammer looked around for the FB account of a UNC alum with enough information publicly available to make the scammer's backstory more legit.  If the communication wasn't through FB, I'd try to get in touch with the person to let them know a scammer was using their info.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

99% likely your coworker was scammed.  Did communication come from the FB account? If not, then I'm betting the scammer looked around for the FB account of a UNC alum with enough information publicly available to make the scammer's backstory more legit.  If the communication wasn't through FB, I'd try to get in touch with the person to let them know a scammer was using their info.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, there has been no communication via Facebook.  Only through email, which seems like a bogus email address.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do you guys have any suggestions on what she needs to do next?
View Quote

She needs to check the box that says "I got scammed!" in her diary and learn from the experience.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  Why is this so difficult for some people.

Trust no one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

That tells you right there.   http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Let her know I am holding $80,000,000 for her, she just needs to PayPal me $5,000 and her account info and I will transfer it to her account!

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#24]
All my coworker knows is her she claimed her name is Melissa Reynolds, she lives in Asheville, and works for a company called Univision

FIFY
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
Did she believe Obama's lies too?

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Mail fraud?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Sure sounds like she got scammed.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Think of it this way. The tuition at a private university is now something crazy like $20k-$30k per year , , which with about 10 courses per year works out to $2k-$3k per course.  A semester has what, 14 weeks? 2 classes per week.  That works out to $71-$107 for each and every class.

Let's say she got scammed out of $400.  I can guarantee you that she got way more learnin' out of that $400 than any ivy league student.  She'll carry that lesson for life.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Think of it this way. The tuition at a private university is now something crazy like $20k-$30k per year , , which with about 10 courses per year works out to $2k-$3k per course.  A semester has what, 14 weeks? 2 classes per week.  That works out to $71-$107 for each and every class.

Let's say she got scammed out of $400.  I can guarantee you that she got way more learnin' out of that $400 than any ivy league student.  She'll carry that lesson for life.
View Quote

Pro response for the thread.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Tell her you can clear up the situation for her for 20 bucks.

Once she gives you the money.  Grab her by the ears and scream in her face, "STOP BEING STUPID!"

Then give her 10 dollars back with a lesson learned.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Trust no one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trust no one.

A fool and their money...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top