Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#1]
New Jersey.

Guess that makes me a felon.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#2]
at the dentist, in the waiting room/lobby me and this older lady strike up a conversation about all the break ins lately. I told her if they break in my house they better be able to run real fast. She looked at me, grinned and said "hard to outrun a bullet."
most people here figure one should have a gun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#3]
As you would have guessed, no big deal in Alabama

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't carry long guns in my state unless they are in locked cases due to bumpkin deer poachers

Pistol OC is supposed to be AOK, but a yoga mom in the Spittsburgh suburbs would shit bricks and SWAT someone who did
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Nobody cares here, as long as it's Fudd stuff.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#6]
San Diego is pretty much "Don't ask don't tell".

You never see them on the streets, but I have 5 tactical shops within a 10 mile radius that are always crowded on Saturday, and a dozen more general gun shops & ranges within 20 miles where you have to take a number.

At the local gun show, half of the booths are up and coming So Cal black rifle and tactical gear companies. It's weird, honestly.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Where I live, guns are nearly non existent. Cops don't even carry them. The only time I see them are on the Internet or in magazines in store shelves. I own a Tanfoglio Witness 1911 BB gun that I play around with and dry fire when I'm bored. Most of the people that I talk with are happy they are gone and don't see why Americans need them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Putting aside "Open Carry."  

I can remember seeing a guy armed with a .45 M1911 on his hip exit his car and walk into the gun shop while on a trip to LV way back in the 80s.   Being from Hawaii, I was surprised.

Around here (Vancouver, WA), I see that the local GS and the big box retail type store that carrys firearms w/ signage prohibiting loaded weapons on the premises.  Course, I believe in CCW.   And, don't advertize.  

Anyways......I can also remember seeing a vehicle parked at the bank with a rifle rack and rifle in it while in a smaller town in WA back in 2005.  I was surprised at the time.

But now that I've been in WA for awhile......well, say it his way.......I get upset with the stupidness in Seattle and hope that it doesn't spread to Vancouver, WA.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#10]
if you own a gun in neck of the woods you are a derainged manic and are endangering the lives of public. You should be locked up, your dog should be shot and your property seized and given to the FSA
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I often have rifles strapped to my motorcycle or slung over my shoulder while riding - in all the times I've done this, I think I have had all of one person over in Lynchburg appear to take notice/alarm when I was bringing a new rifle home - they were tailgating so closely that I had to wonder if they could even read the damn plate on my bike.

We'll still see rifles in the back window of pickups from time to time.

Retirees immigrating from NoVA and further North are our biggest problem.  They tried to enact a ban such that only your own family members would be allowed to shoot on your farm - no friends - it didn't work, but they tried.  These are the same idiots that move to a town with a military school - and then complain about the sound of gunfire and sight of cadets ruck marching with arms.  Some people.

ETA:
In the cities like Roanoke, it's not unusual to see someone OCing a pistol at lunch.  Nobody ever seems to make an issue of it.  Ironically enough, in rural areas, it's far more rare to see OC'd pistols.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in Louisiana, we don't have guns. They're dangerous.
View Quote

Is it that bad? I've never been there but I would have thought yall were pretty gun friendly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Positive.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#14]
It's Idaho.

CCW and NFA sign off have their own busy counter at the Sheriff's office. Car dealerships advertise "buy a car, get a free gun." Little old ladies at church have purse guns. I have fewer guns than many local liberals.

Hospitals let their staff know before active shooter drills, so nobody gets hurt, and those are places where guns aren't allowed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In the immediate area of Austin? Guns are icky. Outside the city limits you return to Texas.
View Quote

I live in a condo in downtown ATX
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I live in a "conservative" part of NJ but it's still NJ. Take a guess.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In the immediate area of Austin? Guns are icky. Outside the city limits you return to Texas.
View Quote

Came here to post this, I live in Willco, but work in Austin. I wish my company had an office outside of Austin, I hate coming here.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I changed the title to better reflect what I was asking.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#19]
We ALL carry at least a handgun. Everywhere. We are at subway at lunch, and nine of ten are carrying downtown. 2 blocks from the courthouse.

We are all very respectful and polite. We are a team, by casual association. Johnny law walks in, and is hopelessly outgunned.

How's it going, brother/sister? Tell us your latest tale of perp stupidity.

This is how it should be. If it isn't like this where you are, FIX IT.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#20]
In East Tennessee it is assumed that everyone either has a gun on their person, in their vehicle, or in their home. In our congregation I know of several ladies with handguns each and every Sunday morning.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I live in a small town in Georgia, if you don't own a gun people think you are weird
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I regularly see pro-2A stickers on vehicles and long guns on racks in trucks. I've just recently bought a few acres and am building a house near the Blue Ridge Parkway - I usually hear gun fire when I'm out there on the weekends. The anti-gunners in VA are most likely concentrated up in damn NoVa.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Same here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone over the age of 7 has a firearm here.

Same here.

Yup.  You would be hard pressed to find anybody who didn't at least have access to a firearm (or dozen).
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I moved here in '92 and was shopping at a Garts Sports when a guy did that exact thing.  Nobody seemed to give much of a shit and this was in Boulder, for crying out loud.  Now?  I bet a lot of panties would get twisted and a cop may swing by to ask for some clarification but I don't expect there would be a major freak out.  Wouldn't want to test that theory, though.  Damn shame.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I live in a metro area of 1 million, and people don't bat an eye if it's in a gun shop or sporting goods store parking lot, even in downtown Norfolk.

You see thug life looking guys with tattoos, gold grills, and baggy pants open carrying too.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's Idaho.

CCW and NFA sign off have their own busy counter at the Sheriff's office. Car dealerships advertise "buy a car, get a free gun." Little old ladies at church have purse guns. I have fewer guns than many local liberals.

Hospitals let their staff know before active shooter drills, so nobody gets hurt, and those are places where guns aren't allowed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Sounds similar to my area.  The last NFA sign off I dropped off was on a friday afternoon and a few minutes later the undersheriff called me on my cell to apologize that the sheriff was out of town and wouldn't be able to sign until monday.  Then proceeded to chat about suppressors with me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Where I live, guns are nearly non existent. Cops don't even carry them. The only time I see them are on the Internet or in magazines in store shelves. I own a Tanfoglio Witness 1911 BB gun that I play around with and dry fire when I'm bored. Most of the people that I talk with are happy they are gone and don't see why Americans need them.
View Quote

Explain to them that the idea of having to explain why you "need" something to a governing body is foreign to most Americans.

Actually, don't...they don't have the capacity to understand.

In which of the lesser (in every capacity) countries do you reside?

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Oklahoma is basically Texas, but with Open Carry....
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I live a good hour south of Chicago, about 15 minutes from the true rural routes.  In the city, a cop or gangsta would have shot you and asked questions later.  Down by me, wouldn't be as big a deal.  Anywhere downstate and no one would bat an eye.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Pretty positive actually, given the circumstances.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I changed the title to better reflect what I was asking.

View Quote

I am in Bend. Sounds like you were in Bi-Mart? If so, that scene in the Bend Bi-Mart Parking Lot would cause no ruckus, but that's just because all the pricks who have moved here recently don't shop there, so they wouldn't see it happen.

Try that around the Home Depot/Target mall area (Sportsman's Warehouse) and I'll bet you'd get some calls.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm in Louisiana, we don't have guns. They're dangerous.
View Quote

having been married to a Coonazz O.U.A.T...I would concur, her freaking brothers were dangerous with
anything that could bring blood..
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Im in WV by law you have to own a gun or we kick you out and make you live in VA or MD.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Texans are given guns for their first birthday, 6th grade graduation, high school graduation, numerous Christmas' and
wedding gifts..along with a pre nup if there's any oil money or ranch land in the transaction..
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Fuckin awful.

The suburban cops here would love to boot my door down and shoot me for being a gun owner. It would break up the monotony of arresting college kids and ticketing black people for driving across the clearly marked boundaries of this three square mile slice of heaven.

Shame the kiddos school is so good.

I'll keep renting.
View Quote

You must live down state.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Live in southern rural NM: I just assume everyone else carries.  Out here in the country (way far out), I always carry .........not uncommon.  Which gets me wondering:  if there was a fire arms ban (USA wide), wonder how that would go down given all the responses so far ........would be interesting to say the least.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#37]
I've been asked to bring some of my antique firearms to the local elementary school the last two years. The kids were learning about the Civil War and they wanted to see what was used at that time.
While talking to the kids, fourth graders, it came out that nearly every one of them own their own guns, and hunt and shoot regularly.
No one thinks twice at the sight of a gun, even at an elementary school!

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Total panic around here, people screaming, running and cops, lots of cops.
Did I mentioned swat and armored vehicles.?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#39]
I honestly have no idea. Being so close to Detroit I assume most people would flip their shit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just to clarify, I don't live in Portland or Eugene. I live in a small town, about 1½ hours south of Eugene. Today I went to a local store down the street. Sort of like an EverythingMart (but not Walmart, it's a smaller store). As I got out of the car, a guy was walking up to the door of the store with a scoped rifle in one hand (Browning .22, I believe). Not in a case, just the rifle. I figured he was taking it to the gun counter to get some help with his scope. I've seen many guys do that here. Whatever.

After going to the hardware section to get a couple of things, I went over to the gun area to check the ammo situation. I was right, he was there getting some help with his scope. Then it occurred to me how that would have went down in the places I used to live, different cities in the San Francisco Bay area and the Puget Sound area. People would have panicked and called 911, there would have been a SWAT team in an MRAP there in short order. As it was, people in the parking lot who saw him going into the store didn't give him a second look. Just another day around here.

Yesterday I was driving behind a guy who had a lever-action rifle in the back window of his truck. No big deal, I still see that around here.

What would have happened in these cases where you live?

View Quote

I live in Eugene and If I went to bimart to have my scope looked at they would have the sporting goods guy meet me and carry it to the counter.  I see people all the time carry rifles across the parking lot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Honestly I'd probably leave. I don't trust anybody, especially someone open carrying.
Think whatever the fuck u want
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Judging just by the sound of gunfire around here during the temperate months I have to say we have a gun ownership rate above 50% in immediate  I'm under the impression that a lot of the gunfire is  our area is from weekend visitors from NY and NJ.  My BIL has grandkids up from Jersey to shoot all the time during our good weather season and last summer had a niece visiting from Iceland who got to handle a gun for her first time.

Spring, summer and fall weekends you will hear all types of firearms being shot, including an occasional full auto mag dump.  There may be a lot of Fudds here in PA during hunting season, but during casual shooting times people are letting loose with every kind of gun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#43]
No one would bat an eye around here. It is quite possible there are more guns than people in SD. Couple that with all the ammo mfgs's here, we could possibly be the best stocked ammo wise. Hell we have three silencer mfg's in my town of 100k.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuckin awful.

The suburban cops here would love to boot my door down and shoot me for being a gun owner. It would break up the monotony of arresting college kids and ticketing black people for driving across the clearly marked boundaries of this three square mile slice of heaven.

Shame the kiddos school is so good.

I'll keep renting.

Shorewood. Where the well off Milwaukee libtards escape to.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#45]
if you did that in the nicer areas of atlanta or one of its upper-crust suburbs full of soccer moms and yankee transplants you might end up talking to police. my immediate area i very much doubt anybody would raise an eyebrow unless the person was doing something stupid.  however it's usually good form to have a chamber flag in (or clearly open chamber) if it's not cased when taking one in/out of a store like that.

lets be realistic, the "guns are icky" mindset is absolutely out there.  it takes one concerned parent with a cell phone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Tree huggin anti-gun hippies would have called the cops.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:12:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Honestly I'd probably leave. I don't trust anybody, especially someone open carrying.
Think whatever the fuck u want
View Quote

Well, I was asking how the people in your area would react, not you. But that's cool too.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#48]
some transplanted hippie douche from a blue state would probably call the cops and claim that some ne'er do well with an assault rifle was about to go on a rampage in said store.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:35:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just to clarify, I don't live in Portland or Eugene. I live in a small town, about 1½ hours south of Eugene. Today I went to a local store down the street. Sort of like an EverythingMart (but not Walmart, it's a smaller store). As I got out of the car, a guy was walking up to the door of the store with a scoped rifle in one hand (Browning .22, I believe). Not in a case, just the rifle. I figured he was taking it to the gun counter to get some help with his scope. I've seen many guys do that here. Whatever.

After going to the hardware section to get a couple of things, I went over to the gun area to check the ammo situation. I was right, he was there getting some help with his scope. Then it occurred to me how that would have went down in the places I used to live, different cities in the San Francisco Bay area and the Puget Sound area. People would have panicked and called 911, there would have been a SWAT team in an MRAP there in short order. As it was, people in the parking lot who saw him going into the store didn't give him a second look. Just another day around here.

Yesterday I was driving behind a guy who had a lever-action rifle in the back window of his truck. No big deal, I still see that around here.

What would have happened in these cases where you live?

View Quote

The part in red would be illegal here.  Unless it was an SBR or a grandfathered "Michigan Pistol."  Long guns have to be either unloaded and broken down, unloaded and cased, or unloaded and inaccessible from the passenger compartment.

As for the rest?  Open Carry is common here and the police and dispatchers have gotten pretty good with it, but that's with pistols.  Rifles would still be "odd" but I think most cops now know that it is legal to do so.  They would probably come, and probably harass, but that would be about it.  Taken in context though, carrying in to a "gun" store?  Probably no reaction at all.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:38:20 AM EDT
[#50]
I've walked out of a gun shop, down the street a good ways to my vehicle, and drove off with uncased long arms. Not a fuck was given.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top