User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Whatever... It's Monday morning, cut me some slack!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Google openly admits the track everything you do and reads all of your emails. For that reason, I do not use google at all.

Semantics.

No.

"Google reads your email" is lazy.

Google doesn't 'read' anything.  Their software scans it for keywords they can use to target ads.

A robot scans your email to sell you shit.  Terrifying.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#2]
After the Charlie Hedbo thing, there were a bunch of calls for increased electronic surveillance, especially in Britain.  Then one of the TOR people pointed out that the Hedbo terrorists all knew each other and communicated in person, so how would electronic surveillance have changed anything?  It is becoming like gun control.  Whatever disaster happens becomes justification no matter how illogical.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No.

Google doesn't 'read' anything.  Their software scans it for keywords they can use to target ads.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Google openly admits the track everything you do and reads all of your emails. For that reason, I do not use google at all.

Semantics.

No.

That same robot can scan keywords and put them in a database for future retrieval. We all know those emails never go away.
That database perhaps originally intended for marketing purposes can be retasked for many other nefarious purposes.

While not terrifying, it's certainly not something most of us really want.

However I have a feeling anything pre-0bamanet will soon seem like the good 'ol days.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That same robot can scan keywords and put them in a database for future retrieval. We all know those emails never go away.
That database perhaps originally intended for marketing purposes can be retasked for many other nefarious purposes.

However I have a feeling anything pre-0bamanet will soon seem like the good 'ol days.

View Quote

Unless you have your own e-mail server, that danger exists with any e-mail system.

You're putting your (ostensibly) private data into another's hands and hoping they don't misuse it.

At least Google tells you what they're doing with it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Unless you have your own e-mail server, that danger exists with any e-mail system.

You're putting your (ostensibly) private data into another's hands and hoping they don't misuse it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ITT: We go apeshit over the privacy implications of how a company may or may not treat messages sent via a plaintext, unencrypted protocol. (SMTP)
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I know the .gov hates their phones because the cannot crack them and Apple told the to fuck off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/11441265/Terrorists-should-be-eliminated-says-Apples-Tim-Cook.html

Exclusive interview: Apple's chief executive Tim Cook explains to Allister Heath why the threat of terrorism should not scaremonger citizens into giving up their privacy

...The chief executive of Apple is a radical privacy advocate and was on the last leg of a trip to Europe and Israel where he discussed this issue extensively.
In an exclusive interview with The Telegraph, Cook said that it is clear that there are many instances of people’s information being "trafficked around” and that this is something his company abhorred.

At the moment, however, consumers often "don’t fully understand what is going on", he added. "One day they will, and will be very offended.”...

I know there is a lot of Apple hate and a lot of Apple love around here, what do you think?

I know the .gov hates their phones because the cannot crack them and Apple told the to fuck off.

The .gov sure as hell can crack them, Apple just didn't give them a built-in easy button.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top