Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/2/2015 2:04:49 AM EDT
I had seen a few episodes and all the movies, but I grew up in the Next Generation era. I never really went back and watched much of the original series, but since it's on Amazon Prime I decided to with the death of Leonard Nimoy.

I'm up to the first episode with the Romulans, "Balance of Terror". Despite the cheesiness of the special effects and sets (understandable considering the age of the show)...it's very well written. This episode, especially, is really well written. The Romulans are interesting as fuck and the cold war social commentary is interesting.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:05:29 AM EDT
[#1]

They're available on Youtube as well.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:11:53 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife bought me all three seasons, she watched the first two with me , she's not as geeky as I am. I've been showing some hand-picked ones to the kids too. Rewatching all the seasons I didn't remember it being as provocative when I saw them growing up.

There's a couple where they bring in very western ideals, and I almost kind of gagged when they push the capitalism on other cultures in the show. Not that I'm against capitalism, but America does it to an unhealthy level, which also showed through in some of the episodes, drippingly so.

Otherwise I like the show a lot. My wife saw more of the TNG, so we'll probably start watching those sometime too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:15:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:22:16 AM EDT
[#4]
As a kid growing up in the "Next Generation" era, I too dismissed TOS as a campy, superficial 1960s sci-fi series; fun to watch, but not terribly deep. As an adult I have a new-found respect for those early episodes. It's amazing how far ahead of its time TOS was; probably why it only lasted 3 seasons. Many of the ideas and themes in TNG can be traced back to TOS as well.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:25:48 AM EDT
[#5]
best episode ever:

Kirk isn't a scientist and has never been to this planet before. No worries, he can still pull some Macguyver-beating Mr. Wizard shit and mix up some chemicals in the proper proportions...  

After I got Netflix I watched all the Star Trek stuff, except DSN. The newest series with the quantum leap guy and duck lips chick was way better than I expected. 'bout time they put a redneck on a space ship. Seriously though, it was really good!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:31:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Best Episode:  Mirror Mirror

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:33:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My wife bought me all three seasons, she watched the first two with me , she's not as geeky as I am. I've been showing some hand-picked ones to the kids too. Rewatching all the seasons I didn't remember it being as provocative when I saw them growing up.

There's a couple where they bring in very western ideals, and I almost kind of gagged when they push the capitalism on other cultures in the show. Not that I'm against capitalism, but America does it to an unhealthy level, which also showed through in some of the episodes, drippingly so.

Otherwise I like the show a lot. My wife saw more of the TNG, so we'll probably start watching those sometime too.
View Quote

There is nothing at all wrong with pushing capitalism.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:40:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I grew up with TOS and Gene Roddenberry was a genius. Sure it's full of campy acting and weirdo '60's costumes but the ideas and plots were decades ahead of their time.

That said, I'm a much bigger fan of TNG. But there wouldn't be a TNG without Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scottie, Uhura...
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:44:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I grew up with TOS and Gene Roddenberry was a genius. Sure it's full of campy acting and weirdo '60's costumes but the ideas and plots were decades ahead of their time.

That said, I'm a much bigger fan of TNG. But there wouldn't be a TNG without Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scottie, Uhura...
View Quote

Speaking of costumes, I can't believe some of the costumes for the women that they got away with. Last time I saw skirts that short was at a Las Vegas night club.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:46:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

best episode ever:

http://www.scvhistory.com/gif/lw2098d.jpg

Kirk isn't a scientist and has never been to this planet before. No worries, he can still pull some Macguyver-beating Mr. Wizard shit and mix up some chemicals in the proper proportions...  

After I got Netflix I watched all the Star Trek stuff, except DSN. The newest series with the quantum leap guy and duck lips chick was way better than I expected. 'bout time they put a redneck on a space ship. Seriously though, it was really good!
View Quote
I'm a big fan of Enterprise as well, other than TOS it is my favorite. T'Pol

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:48:00 AM EDT
[#11]
TNG for life.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:48:20 AM EDT
[#12]
People like of think of ST:TOS as all special effects, but many many Star Trek sets were nothing more than  a table and a chair.  Very sparse sets.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:51:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Omega Glory was a hell of an episode.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:55:48 AM EDT
[#14]
One of the biggest differences between the first star trek and the later ones was that the first had characters that were mostly all likeable. Charisma was a rare thing in all the other Star Trek shows.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:01:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I was born in 1960, the ex-wife, 1975, married 1997.
I grew up with the original Star Trek, at first she hated it, thought it was stupid.
After she watched a few episodes, I had to be sure to tape it for her, or I'd be in trouble!
She really enjoyed the antics between Spock and Doc M.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:03:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One of the biggest differences between the first star trek and the later ones was that the first had characters that were mostly all likeable. Charisma was a rare thing in all the other Star Trek shows.
View Quote

the characters on TNG weren't "likeable"? Me thinks you were watching Ice Pirates and just thought it was TNG.

Now DSN...there I'll agree with you...
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:03:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:11:42 AM EDT
[#18]
TOS has very valuable life lessons, like never wear a red shirt on an away mission, send your most important and valuable personell on the most dangerous missions, and sleep with every hot alien chick you can, especially if she is blue or green.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:15:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

the characters on TNG weren't "likeable"? Me thinks you were watching Ice Pirates and just thought it was TNG.

http://www.punkasspunk.com/videolog/20050610/The_Ice_Pirates_(1984)_3.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.punkasspunk.com/videolog/20050610/The_Ice_Pirates_(1984)_3.jpg

I didnt like any but Picard, and Worf around the end when he started acting all Klingony. Maybe I'm missing someone, but I cant really think of anyone else.

Wait, I remember one- Wesley. I loved that little guy. In a non homosexual way, of course.

(I didnt really love Wesley)
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:16:41 AM EDT
[#20]

I've thought for a long time that they need to do a 5-year story arc on the Mirror Universe - covering the rise and fall of the Terran Empire.  No touchy-feely kumbaya allowed - dark and brooding, in stark contrast to the relative "utopia" of the other ST series.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:17:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree when it comes to covertly meddling with other people's governments. I'm not talking about sping either. I'm talking full-on regime changes and coups.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:19:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I just found them on youtube last year, I had never watched a TOS episode before. It's so corny, yet I love every second of them. A few too many episodes are just, "Spock, we much teach them to love or we will all die".

It's also pretty nice that I now get the punchline/spoof of about 20% of Futurama's jokes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:20:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:I didnt like any but Picard, and Worf around the end when he started acting all Klingony. Maybe I'm missing someone, but I cant really think of anyone else.

Wait, I remember one- Wesley. I loved that little guy. In a non homosexual way, of course.

(I didnt really love Wesley)
View Quote

c'mon man, Data was bad ass. I always liked it when Picard would send in his "ass kicking away team" of Ryker, Data, and Worf. He didn't do it that often, but when he did...someone was about to get their butt kicked!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:21:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Voyager was my favorite then TOS, Deep Space 9, TNG with Enterprise being last.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:10:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
People like of think of ST:TOS as all special effects, but many many Star Trek sets were nothing more than  a table and a chair.  Very sparse sets.
View Quote

Very limited budget.

We actually have Desi Arnez (sp?) and Lucille Ball to thank for the show too'

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:13:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've thought for a long time that they need to do a 5-year story arc on the Mirror Universe - covering the rise and fall of the Terran Empire.  No touchy-feely kumbaya allowed - dark and brooding, in stark contrast to the relative "utopia" of the other ST series.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Watch the two mirror universe episodes of Enterprise. Great episodes, and with out a fucking doubt the best intro sequence of any Star Trek series.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:17:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:37:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
best episode ever:

I really liked Enterprise as well. I liked all the ST Series actually which puts me in a small minority who feels that way.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:56:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I really liked Enterprise as well. I liked all the ST Series actually which puts me in a small minority who feels that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
best episode ever:

It's a very polarizing series, but personally I liked it. I think it struggled in the first two seasons (the temporal cold war arc was a bit of a mess) but seasons 3 and 4 were really good.

I'm not a fan of Voyager, though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:22:33 AM EDT
[#30]
My fav. In order:

TNG
VOY
DS9
Enterprise
TOS

I am ready for a new series to come out. Same time frame as TNG/VOY/DS9 but different story line.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
best episode ever:

View Quote

I was in second grade when that first aired.  I begged my mom to let me stay up and watch it.  Then the Gorn came on screen and scared the jeebus out of me and I hid behind the couch, fell asleep and missed the whole rest of the episode!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:40:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That would be pretty kick ass.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Worst episode:

SPOCK'S BRAIN

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:31:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
IF you've watched the original series you'll appreciate the latest Star Trek movies and character much more imo.
View Quote

So true.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Speaking of costumes, I can't believe some of the costumes for the women that they got away with. Last time I saw skirts that short was at a Las Vegas night club.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Skirts that short were the norm back then, even out in public.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I disagree when it comes to covertly meddling with other people's governments. I'm not talking about sping either. I'm talking full-on regime changes and coups.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a thread about Star Trek.  Take your whiney crap and start a thread about it and stop trying to derail this one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
best episode ever:

Why did they not show the current or WWII Big E in the opening?

Maybe it's just me, but seems somewhat political.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#39]
It was pretty ahead for it's time.  The different races of aliens reflected different cultures here on earth and the Rodenberry was making political statements in a lot of the episodes.  It was also the first show to have an inter-racial kiss- Kirk and Uhura which was a bit scandalous at the time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Eisenhower was Prez when I was hatched.
The Star trek joke I STILL find funny is that Kirk will go where "No Man Has Gone Before"

I like Women with experience!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This is a thread about Star Trek.  Take your whiney crap and start a thread about it and stop trying to derail this one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The OP was the one that first mentioned an aspect of the political overtones of the show. I brought up another aspect based on my observation and inserted my opinion in the matter.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The OP was the one that first mentioned an aspect of the political overtones of the show. I brought up another aspect based on my observation and inserted my opinion in the matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you started your America bashing crap which has nothing to do with the show.  The post you quoted said nothing about what you posted.

He said "provocative" which is not necessarily about politics.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#43]
I've read that Michael Dorn wants to do a series or movie centering around Worf as captain. That would be kickass. Either Klingons or Vulcans, I don't care, either one would be cool.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Just to clarify, I was the one that mentioned the word "provocative" which wasn't meant to be political, it was my comments on the projection of capitalism as used by the Federation and somewhat relating it to decades of US projection that was meant to touch on the political aspect.

Anyway, someone mentioned that Mirror Mirror was they're favorite episode, that one has always stuck with me as the most memorable.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've read that Michael Dorn wants to do a series or movie centering around Worf as captain. That would be kickass. Either Klingons or Vulcans, I don't care, either one would be cool.
View Quote

That would be sweet. How likely is it to happen?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Their budget was quite limited, the chairs on the bridge were cheap ones from the store instead of something custom. the transporter was invented because they didn't have a shuttlecraft built soon enough.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#47]
I was born in 1962 and remember bugging my dad to take me to grandma's house on Friday nights to watch the show.  They had a color tv and we did not.  

Growing up in NYC in the 70's they showed reruns of the TOS all the time.  I've seen them all too many times to count.

If you have never seen them and watch them today remember to try to put yourself in the time period they were made.  Try to understand what was going on in the US and the world at that time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
best episode ever:

View Quote

Wait a minute, is that a lightsaber, on the Gorn's belt?  Loved watching TOS when I was a kid, then TNG came out, and I loved watching Marina Sirtis, and Gates McFadden
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But that's the most effective way to spread the finest system ever devised.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:20:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh how I long for those days to return...

“Mr. Spock, the women on your planet are logical. That’s the only planet in the galaxy that can make that claim.” – Captain Kirk, Star Trek
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top