Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/1/2015 8:40:44 PM EDT
From video:

Possibly the scariest moment of my life. On the 14th of November 2014 while doing stage five of my Accelerated Free Fall program I have a near death experience. At around 9000ft I have a seizure while attempting a left hand turn. I then spend the next 30 seconds in free fall unconscious. Thankfully my jumpmaster manages to pull my ripcord at around 4000ft. I become conscious at 3000 ft and land safely back to the ground.

Good thing it was a training jump and he had a jumpmaster closely observing.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#1]
That's some seriously well trained clutch action.  Nice job.  Didn't think, he just did.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Does anyone make a device that auto deploys your parachute when you hit a certain elevation? If not, why not? Seems like something like that could save someones life in a situation like this.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does anyone make a device that auto deploys your parachute when you hit a certain elevation? If not, why not? Seems like something like that could save someones life in a situation like this.
View Quote

Yes. They are required in many places. I don't jump with anyone who wears one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
AAD:  automatic activation device

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#5]
So I am guessing his sky diving career is over?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Suppose he owes that man a drink.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.  Your chute will auto deploy.  Just may save your ass
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.  Automatic Activation Devices (AAD) can be used.  If I was prone to siezures, I would give up skydiving.  landing on roadways, houses, high voltage wires can be bad...
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yea when I did my accelerated freefall many years ago they gave us  rigs that would auto deploy the chute at 2000ft. I think it was called Cyprus or something?

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As long as you remember to activate it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

Because I saw a friend killed as he was flying over someone and that guy's AAD went off way above activation altitude. He impacted the bag, broke his neck, died.

No thanks. You have one thing to do for the rest of your life. Pull. If you can't do that, you don't need to jump.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not? Are they expensive or cumbersome? Just curious why not wear one.

ETA: answered above.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Because I saw a friend killed as he was flying over someone and that guy's AAD went off way above activation altitude. He impacted the bag, broke his neck, died.

No thanks. You have one thing to do for the rest of your life. Pull. If you can't do that, you don't need to jump.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

In the olden days, AADs were notoriously unreliable. Those days ended with the CYPRES, in about 1990. Today, all students and most sport jumpers wear an AAD. Id say well over 90% of skydivers are equipped with an AAD. Either a CYPRES, Vigil or an Argus. All proven and reliable AADs.

You must be awfully lonely in freefall.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#15]
He owes that guy beers for life. Fuck.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

In the olden days, AADs were notoriously unreliable. Those days ended with the CYPRES, in about 1990. Today, all students and most sport jumpers wear an AAD. Id say well over 90% of skydivers are equipped with an AAD. Either a CYPRES, Vigil or an Argus. All proven and reliable AADs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

Nope. I don't jump with turds. Don't give a fuck about your statistics. In fact, this generation of skydivers has turned into such a brainwashed group of monkeys, that most of them are afraid to jump a rig without one. It's fucking pathetic.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Gnarly.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a parachute rigger, and although they are not required at my D.Z., they are highly recommended.
As far as size goes, they are tiny, the unit that you turn it on with is about the size of a stick of gum, about 1/4" thick. The battery unit is inside the reserve container and it's very small and light also ... about the size of 2 boxes of matches stacked. It's good for 4 years.
I've made a lot of jumps without one in the past, but now I never jump without it.
I've personally seen them save at least 6 of my buddies over the years.
They cost about $1,500.00 .... not too bad for a life saving insurance policy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

Sorry. That had to be horrible to witness.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#20]
If I go skydiving I want to be with that jumpmaster.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Completely respect your opinion.  Good point and I jumped without one for years for similar reasons.

If I can add my own anecdote. Brad Foster, from my home DZ, could quite possibly be alive today if he had jumped a cypres.  Hit the tail of a King Air on exit and was knocked out.

The technology has come a long way and many lives have been saved.   But YMMV as always.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nope. I don't jump with turds. Don't give a fuck about your statistics. In fact, this generation of skydivers has turned into such a brainwashed group of monkeys, that most of them are afraid to jump a rig without one. It's fucking pathetic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is where you lose me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sorry, but did you actually type that?

A freak accident from an older generation of AADs and you're off them forever?  I've seen multiple people die from pulling too low (or not pulling at all... we can leave hook turns out of the discussion).

I wouldn't jump without one.  All it takes is to receive a blow to the head on exit, have a bird-strike, a seizure (like the video), or some other incapacitating incident in free-fall.  I knew a guy who blew out a sinus in free-fall, and passed out from the pain... AAD saved his life.  He regained consciousness with blood streaming out of his nose, in full canopy flight, under his reserve.

It's an insurance policy.

You can choose to risk your life however you want... But why do you have to sneer at other jumpers who have done the math for themselves, and come to a different conclusion?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A freak accident from an older generation of AADs and you're off them forever?  I've seen multiple people die from pulling too low (or not pulling at all... we can leave hook turns out of the discussion).

I wouldn't jump without one.  All it takes is to receive a blow to the head on exit, have a bird-strike, a seizure (like the video), or some other incapacitating incident in free-fall.  I knew a guy who blew out a sinus in free-fall, and passed out from the pain... AAD saved his life.  He regained consciousness with blood streaming out of his nose, in full canopy flight, under his reserve.

You can choose to risk your life however you want... But why do you have to sneer at other jumpers who have done the math for themselves, and come to a different conclusion?

I don't sneer. I just don't jump with them. We've all seen things that impact our lives (no pun intended). This one cut pretty deep. Sometimes a man takes an oath to himself. Sometimes that man takes his oaths seriously. I've never had a dz turn me away for not wearing one. Me and the the crew don't jump a lot anymore. When we do, we do it during off days. The DZ will break out a 182 for us. I'm too old to be hang out at dz's all weekend. We get it on, then we leave. One day, we'll be dead dinosaurs, and the skydiving world can forget about our ilk. But we won't be dead from jumping.

Sorry to step in y'alls sandbox. I'll back out.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

So I am guessing his sky diving career is over?
View Quote

Lol, ya, he's probably re-thinking quite a few activities.

It would make for an interesting series of vids though.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A friend of mine had a heart attack on the way down, he didn't have the automatic deployment, so was killed on impact, that device may have saved his life.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do me a favor and stay the hell off of my load if we ever meet. I can understand the reasoning behind your decision; but just like you have done I will make my own decision also. Just from the Skygod attitude I'm getting from your posts you seem like the type of guy who would be screaming through my airspace at 3k still at terminal while I am under canopy.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm not new to the sport either. I first started skydiving >20 years ago.

I'm no skygod.  My license has lapsed, and I haven't jumped in quite some time.  

I  just see it as a life-saving piece of tech... That's all.   Saves more lives than it costs... Just MHO
View Quote

When you first started skydiving, did T-Rex's try eating you out of the sky when you got close, or did they leave you alone for the most part?

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It took Wilbur and Orville almost an hour to get us to altitude.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not new to the sport either. I first started skydiving >20 years ago.

I'm no skygod.  My license has lapsed, and I haven't jumped in quite some time.  

I  just see it as a life-saving piece of tech... That's all.   Saves more lives than it costs... Just MHO

When you first started skydiving, did T-Rex's try eating you out of the sky when you got close, or did they leave you alone for the most part?

It took Wilbur and Orville almost an hour to get us to altitude.  

When I started skydiving, it was uphill both ways!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not?

I would never jump without a cypress

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I find it amusing people here are arguing about safety equipment for sky diving.

I am no better, I put more safety gear on so I can take more risk.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Do you think it would be possible to have sex with a women during freefall? Wonder if its been done yet?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I used to think the same way about auto belay devices in rock climbing.

I thought they created bad habits and lax attitudes that would create dangerous situations down the road.

One day in 2006 I was climbing in Rumney, belaying a friend on a Black Diamond ATC.

He fell near the top of the first pitch, and I must have been looking away or something.

All I remember is looking at the ATC all of a sudden and seeing the rope just whisking through the device.

I looked at it for a second in shock, and then grabbed the rope, locking it up in the ATC but causing sever burns on my hands.

He fell almost 60 feet, only had about ten more to go before he hit the ground. His feet were right above my head by the time he stopped.

If I had been using an auto belay device, that event would never have happened. The device would have arrested his fall immediately, whether my hands were on the device or not.

I now use all safety equipment I can get my hands on. That memory is seared in my brain forever.

I've never been skydiving, but I know that I can fail to do what is needed at the moment, no matter how much attention I pay or how well I am trained.

It just takes one moment of inattention to make a device like that worth every penny.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Do you think it would be possible to have sex with a women during freefall? Wonder if its been done yet?
View Quote

I know nothing of skydiving but I can tell you one thing, when it comes to sex, it's all been done.  The craziest, weirdest, grossest, wildest sexual thing imaginable, man has done it.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:54:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
There has been more than one tandem done naked and with the girl in front turned around in the harness...

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#38]
jumpmaster is a *bad ass*.  got to him, lost him, tracks him down intercepts and pops his chute.   very fast and collected action.

If I was the jumper, that'd be the last jump for me.  No way I'm going out a plane if I  can seize up and not pull the chute.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't jump out of perfectly fine working aircraft, but if I have to... I want this guy on my side.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Holy crap, that dude is lucky the jump master was able to save his ass.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#43]
The instructor was interviewed on Fox this morning. Said the kid had an AAD on both his main and his reserve, but he flew in anyway and pulled the kids main simply to get him under a canopy right away instead of relying on the AAD's to do their job.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#44]
That jump master is a fkn hero
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If I was the jumper, that'd be the last jump for me.  No way I'm going out a plane if I  can seize up and not pull the chute.
View Quote

I can't see any drop zone letting him jump.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That jump master is a fkn hero
View Quote

No joke what a hard core motherfucker
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Saw that video last night on the news and that instructor did a great job of docking on that student.  I personally wouldn't jump without my cypres.  I don't count on it to save my life but if I did go unconscious or for some reason am physically unable to deploy my chute I would like that extra chance of survival.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm a parachute rigger, and although they are not required at my D.Z., they are highly recommended.
As far as size goes, they are tiny, the unit that you turn it on with is about the size of a stick of gum, about 1/4" thick. The battery unit is inside the reserve container and it's very small and light also ... about the size of 2 boxes of matches stacked. It's good for 4 years.
I've made a lot of jumps without one in the past, but now I never jump without it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

is it re-usable or is it a one time shot?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The instructor was interviewed on Fox this morning. Said the kid had an AAD on both his main and his reserve, but he flew in anyway and pulled the kids main simply to get him under a canopy right away instead of relying on the AAD's to do their job.

View Quote

I don't believe there was an AAD on the main. I've never seen that on normal student equipment. I've never seen it on any modern equipment.

And the AAD (Cypres, anyway) will activate a licensed jumper's reserve at 750 ft., not 2000. FYI that's about 5 seconds from impact.

Student Cypres' activate at 750' or 1000' depending on the setting.

I've seen WAY more AAD saves than injuries or deaths caused by AADs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol does it matter?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top