Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/1/2015 3:23:08 PM EDT
I'm a senior in high school this year and I am greatly interested in taking some AP Exams to test out of some lower level college courses... For those that have taken them in the past, what are your experiences with them?  Which ones are best for self-studying?  Which ones did you find easiest?  Any information is greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#1]

View Quote
Take whatever ones you think you can pass.  I took the AP Physics and AP Environmental science tests even though my HS did not offer those courses.  I learned both those subjects by self study not in preparation for the exams but because I was interested in them.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm an AP English teacher.  Take 40 minutes and write a response to the following prompt - no spellcheck or assistance, and keep to the timeframe; I'll give you an accurate score and tell you whether or not you should take the AP English Language and Composition exam.  (On the actual test you'd need to write three essays in two hours.)

For centuries, prominent thinkers have pondered the relationship between ownership and the development of self
(identity), ultimately asking the question, “What does it mean to own something?”

Plato argues that owning objects is detrimental to a person’s character. Aristotle claims that ownership of tangible
goods helps to develop moral character. Twentieth-century philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre proposes that ownership
extends beyond objects to include intangible things as well. In Sartre’s view, becoming proficient in some skill and
knowing something thoroughly means that we “own” it.

Think about the differing views of ownership. Then write an essay in which you explain your position on the
relationship between ownership and sense of self. Use appropriate evidence from your reading, experience, or
observations to support your argument.

I'm serious; let's see what you've got.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
For non-math based exams, go to your local library and check out the study guides. Skip all the fluff and head straight to the glossary. Make sure you are familiar with all the definitions related to that subject. Go take the exam and apply the definition/answers to the context of the question.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Take what you can pass, as already stated.

I came into college with 13 credits from AP exams. That's a whole semester worth of credit and money being saved.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I also taught AP English Literature for years, too.  Based on your writing, I can give you a gut-feeling reaction to whether or not you should take that exam, as well - but be warned, the Lit test is assuming you have done some broad reading of the English classics and have a working knowledge of literary terms and devices.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I would not suggest taking the european history test without taking the course.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#7]
BTW OP make sure you CLEP all you can. Talk to the college adviser during enrollment to see what CLEP credits they accept.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I took as many as I could get. They weren't very hard, my most difficult one was chemistry, which I got a 3 on, and my college still accepted.

I went into college with over 20 credit hours. You can either use that to get out nearly a year early, or to take fewer credit hours per semester. They aren't tremendously expensive to take, so it can come out being a good moneysaver.

Just make sure you find out the college you want will accept the scores you get. Some schools take lower scores than others on certain exams, and some higher scores will exempt you from more classes.

I didn't have to take a single lab or bio class in college because of AP enviro science, physics, chem, and biology fulfilling most of my reqs, and if I hadn't pursued them myself I would have only required one low level math course. Your major of course will possibly make that different. I went to UNC-Chapel Hill.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm an AP English teacher.  Take 40 minutes and write a response to the following prompt - no spellcheck or assistance, and keep to the timeframe; I'll give you an accurate score and tell you whether or not you should take the AP English Language and Composition exam.  (On the actual test you'd need to write three essays in two hours.)

For centuries, prominent thinkers have pondered the relationship between ownership and the development of self
(identity), ultimately asking the question, “What does it mean to own something?”

Plato argues that owning objects is detrimental to a person’s character. Aristotle claims that ownership of tangible
goods helps to develop moral character. Twentieth-century philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre proposes that ownership
extends beyond objects to include intangible things as well. In Sartre’s view, becoming proficient in some skill and

Think about the differing views of ownership. Then write an essay in which you explain your position on the
relationship between ownership and sense of self. Use appropriate evidence from your reading, experience, or

View Quote

And government says, " I'll own everything and distribute to only those that I deem to  have moral character".
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I also taught AP English Literature for years, too.  Based on your writing, I can give you a gut-feeling reaction to whether or not you should take that exam, as well - but be warned, the Lit test is assuming you have done some broad reading of the English classics and have a working knowledge of literary terms and devices.
View Quote

I IM'd you.  
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  Currently, I'm going in with 30 college credits (through various dual credit opportunities).  I'm looking at taking AP Exams to add onto my total credits and get several Liberal Art Requirements out of the way.  The AP Exams I'm considering taking are: AP English Language/Lit, AP Government-American, AP Bio, AP History-European or World not sure yet, AP microeconomics, and AP Environmental Sciences.  The lowest I can get for credit is a 3.  Anyone have input on difficulty level of European History vs World History?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I IM'd you.  
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  Currently, I'm going in with 30 college credits (through various dual credit opportunities).  I'm looking at taking AP Exams to add onto my total credits and get several Liberal Art Requirements out of the way.  The AP Exams I'm considering taking are: AP English Language/Lit, AP Government-American, AP Bio, AP History-European or World not sure yet, AP microeconomics, and AP Environmental Sciences.  The lowest I can get for credit is a 3.  Anyone have input on difficulty level of European History vs World History?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I IM'd you.  

While it's good to get some credits going into your freshman year, I would also be wary of having "too many". There are some core/ intro level classes which may be more beneficial to take rather than pass over as they help acclimate you to the college environment.  

Also, in my experience there was normally a max on the amount of hours that a freshman could come in with. Do you already have a school you have been accepted to?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

While it's good to get some credits going into your freshman year, I would also be wary of having "too many". There are some core/ intro level classes which may be more beneficial to take rather than pass over as they help acclimate you to the college environment.  

Also, in my experience there was normally a max on the amount of hours that a freshman could come in with. Do you already have a school you have been accepted to?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I IM'd you.  

Yes, I've been accepted and confirmed my enrollment to go to UMN-Twin Cities.  I am not currently aware of a limit on credits, and some of my 30 credits will not transfer 100% anyway. The courses I want to take the AP exams for I feel fairly confident about.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want to go to med/dental/pharmacy school, research which AP credits the school will take first
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Take APUSH you wont regret it
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Consider taking some CLEP as well. This can really knock out most of your gen ed requirements and they only run about $80.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Consider taking some CLEP as well. This can really knock out most of your gen ed requirements and they only run about $80.
View Quote

UMN only accepts 3 different CLEP credits.
They accept AP mostly.  
I'm planning on Pharmacy for graduate school at UMN as well so they will take it.
I will have already completed APUSH, Calculus I and II, Intro to Statistics, Speech (Communications), Intro to Chemistry, and Intro to Physiology through dual credit courses.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I took 11 AP classes in high school and 11 tests.  Although I took AP Spanish Lit and Language classes, I did not take the tests,  and I took both of the tests for AP English (I only took the course for one) and Enviro Science.  I found those two the easiest and I passed with 4's without having taken the classes.  

Overall, I think it helped somewhat.  The tests knocked out some basic courses but it also ran up my total credit hour count and put me in danger of some financial thing (I don't remember what but I graduated with a bachelors and nearly 200 credit hours).  I officially graduated high school as a junior in college but in reality the AP credits didn't count towards a significant chunk of my major (physics), thus the high number of credit hours.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I took 11 AP classes in high school and 11 tests.  Although I took AP Spanish Lit and Language classes, I did not take the tests,  and I took both of the tests for AP English (I only took the course for one) and Enviro Science.  I found those two the easiest and I passed with 4's without having taken the classes.  

Overall, I think it helped somewhat.  The tests knocked out some basic courses but it also ran up my total credit hour count and put me in danger of some financial thing (I don't remember what but I graduated with a bachelors and nearly 200 credit hours).  I officially graduated high school as a junior in college but in reality the AP credits didn't count towards a significant chunk of my major (physics), thus the high number of credit hours.
View Quote
I think being a boy scout and watching the discovery channel (in the 90s) is enough to pass the Environmental Science test.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think being a boy scout and watching the discovery channel (in the 90s) is enough to pass the Environmental Science test.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, pretty much.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I took several. AP Human Geo, AP Bio, AP Language/Comp, whatever senior AP English was (Brit Lit?), AP Government, and probably some others I'm forgetting. They were good as far as getting used to what a college workload is like, but my AP scores did nothing because my college didn't recognize them. I graduated in 2012 so I'm not too far ahead of you.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I came into college with 13 credits from AP exams. That's a whole semester worth of credit and money being saved.
View Quote

It's also an excuse to place you in a more advanced class where, unless you're at a cupcake school, you're going to get your ass kicked.

Yes, this is the voice of experience speaking.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I would look at foreign language requirements for colleges you're considering, and see what is required to place out of those. Foreign languages in college are generally harder and more of a pain in the ass generally than they are in high school. If you can get out of a college's requirement by hitting a certain number on an AP or SAT II test - do it. I scored just high enough on the Spanish SAT II to get out of my college's requirement, and watched others suffer.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's also an excuse to place you in a more advanced class where, unless you're at a cupcake school, you're going to get your ass kicked.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if you're smart and actually try to work hard.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go ahead and "place out" of first semester calc or physics at someplace like MIT. Again, non-cupcake schools here. Let me know how that works out for you unless you're Sheldon Cooper.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Go ahead and "place out" of first semester calc or physics at someplace like MIT. Again, non-cupcake schools here. Let me know how that works out for you unless you're Sheldon Cooper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read my previous reply a few above this.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought AP exams were the entry exams into AP classes.  When I took the AP US History exam, I wondered why everyone was a junior and I was a sophomore.

During the break I talked to a junior I knew, he said the AP class was preparation for this exam.

I kind of panicked at first and then realized if I hadn't taken the class my grade wouldn;t held against me, so I did my best and got a '3' out of '5' which counted as college credit.  

I took the AP US History course and about half the class was too chicken to take the test even after completing the course.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with what you wrote there about APs giving you a taste of college level work. That's fine. Using it to place into higher levels right when you come in ... again, be careful what you wish for.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Just my personal experience but if you had a carpet munching fat ass history teacher try to ram women's history down your throat, hopefully you paid attention.

I had such a teacher. I went to school with some really smart, really hard working people. Her fanatical approach to women's lib/history would have saved us had we paid attention instead of saying fuck this shit to her blatant college like libtardedness.

The fucking essay was on Women's history of all things. The highest score of all of us on AP American History was a 3. That essay murdered us.

I was 11th in my class of 300 or so plus in case that matters. The people I mentioned above were the top 10.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:57:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The courses I'm planning on testing out of are lib ed requirements that I will probably never have to expand my knowledge on.  My current major is math (pharmacy school for graduate school), so testing out of Government, Euro History, and Environmental Science aren't going to get me put in other classes.  It's just going to make it so I have less classes to take and pay full price for.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:13:33 AM EDT
[#30]
If I remember correctly, I took the following tests and received the following scores:

AP World History - 5
AP US History - 4
AP English Lit - 4
AP English Comp? - 4

Funny thing is I never made better than B+ in any of those classes. My teachers complained I didn't apply myself and underachieved. That's definitely true, but it was pretty hilarious when I got a 5 in AP world history (class in which I made a C+ Due to senioritis). My teacher was incredulous.

Overall, I wouldn't be too excited about placing out of the entry level classes in college. They are easy As and a good place to meet other freshmen (girls).
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:20:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Wait... Join date is Nov '13 and you're a senior in HS now? I thought this place had an age limit?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:41:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Have you had many AP classes to back them up?

I took all the AP tests for the classes I'd taken, and I swung for a fences on a couple of others. The ones I'd had the classes for I crushed with 5's, but the ones I didn't, I ended up getting a 2 and a 3 on.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:42:39 AM EDT
[#33]
There are a refreshing lack of spelling and grammatical errors in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:47:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:53:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Have you had many AP classes to back them up?

I took all the AP tests for the classes I'd taken, and I swung for a fences on a couple of others. The ones I'd had the classes for I crushed with 5's, but the ones I didn't, I ended up getting a 2 and a 3 on.
View Quote

The AP classes I have taken I have already received credit in.  My school offers only 2 AP classes in total, but we also offer dual credit in those classes as well as others.  For some classes there is a dual enrollment opportunity in which you can pay to get college credit in the class while taking it in high school.  They only offer this for courses that have a teacher with at least a Master's Degree.  I have taken non-AP and non-Dual Credit classes such as Government, History of the Ancient Era, History of the Modern Era, Ecology etc.  Currently, I'm hoping that taking those classes coupled with some studying can get me between 3-5 on some AP Exams.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:56:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wait... Join date is Nov '13 and you're a senior in HS now? I thought this place had an age limit?
View Quote

I don't even think they ask for a birthday when signing up.  Nonetheless, I've been lurking since I was around 10.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:27:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

great fucking prompt!  interesting question, and gives the student a fair bit to go on.  way, way better than GRE essay questions.

in two or three concise paragraphs, explain the geopolitics of the middle east (12 minutes).

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:05:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just when I think I miss school, I see something like the above. That is a damned good prompt. It is not a whole lot easier than some of the 300/400 level philosophy material I had in college.

I took the Euro History, US History, English Composition, English Lit, US Government, Chemistry, and Calc I AP tests. Euro and English Composition were the most difficult IMO. Our Government teacher was garbage. I found US History and Calc to be easiest. I went into college almost a semester ahead.

However, I ultimately couldn't/didn't take all the credits. The engineering school did not accept my Chem. Calc is way more difficult at a collegiate level, especially if you are doing engineering or any sort of science. I'd recommend thinking long and hard before taking credits for classes that are core to your major.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:47:15 AM EDT
[#39]
How many of you bookworms went to state for football?

heh heh....nerds

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:52:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

heh heh....nerds

View Quote

meh--played football and ran track.  did not make state, so my bundy-fu is weak...
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:08:43 AM EDT
[#41]
What are you planning on majoring in? If it is a STEM degree, I would recommend dual credit over AP if you can.

Im a junior Chem E major and I took dual credit history and english(that was all my tiny high school offered) over the AP just bc I liked going through a whole course for credit rather than basing on credit at one exam at the end.

I took (mainly for UIL science practice) AP biology, chemistry, and physics and got credit for all 3 but still took them my first year because I didn't want to jump into college level sciences without taking the basic sciences so I could get the hang of how college science classes operated, and I'm glad I did, because my high school was joke.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:14:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

heh heh....nerds

View Quote

I won state Science my senior year

ETA  my high school didn't have football, but did go to state for basketball senior year but we lost in the first round.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:46:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Chem: 4
Calc AB: 5
Stats: 4
C++: 5
Physics: 5
Magnetism: 4
English: 2

I did independent study for the programming one, but that's because the normal offering conflicted with a different class, so I sat in the back of the computer teacher's room and worked the assignments while he taught a lower-level class. Without taking the classes, I would only consider the English classes as having a chance of passing, I considered it my dump course because my degree program only required one English course and it couldn't be waived via AP, so I didn't study for the test.

The sucky thing was when I got to college, my parents told me I was retaking the two physics courses in case they taught anything different. Nope. Even used the same book, but they wouldn't let me drop them. Easy As, but I would've rather been taking higher level classes earlier.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Scored 4s and 5s in Calc and Physics.  But, I was very glad that
I did not place out of those classes in college.  I did place
out of the foreign language req, but that wasn't crucial
to engineering.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I "placed" out of Calculus 3, Linear Algebra and Diff Equations by taking them at a community college while still in highschool. It wasn't really an advantageous option in terms of finances, but it gave me far more options.  Placing out of classes is no problem if your willing to put in the time.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

great fucking prompt!  interesting question, and gives the student a fair bit to go on.  way, way better than GRE essay questions.

in two or three concise paragraphs, explain the geopolitics of the middle east (12 minutes).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone is a dick, but some of those dicks have oil.  One of the dicks is circumcised, which pisses off some of the other dicks.

Stretch another 8 sentences in there, done.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:06:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Take all that you can.  It saved me a lot of time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Scored 4s and 5s in Calc and Physics.  But, I was very glad that
I did not place out of those classes in college.
I did place
out of the foreign language req, but that wasn't crucial
to engineering.
View Quote

When I was in engineering school, this was the consensus.   The college courses are more rigorous than the AP high school courses, so unless you're a real Doogie Howser, it's best just to take the college courses, because you'll end up with a stronger foundation and understanding as you progress.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#49]
I took them so I didn't have to waste money on prereq courses and get done with my major faster...

College is expensive when you're paying out of your own pocket for it--even 20 years ago...
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm a senior in high school this year and I am greatly interested in taking some AP Exams to test out of some lower level college courses... For those that have taken them in the past, what are your experiences with them?  Which ones are best for self-studying?  Which ones did you find easiest?  Any information is greatly appreciated!
View Quote

Glad you have the option to test out for credits.  That didn't start until my senior year (in college) back when I was going through.  DO IT!  My Freshman year at A&M I had to take College Algebra as a requirement for my major.  I was well beyond that level of math already but *had to take it*.  Since our school didn't have an attendance policy I signed up, bought the book, and went to the first day of class for the syllabus.  I then went home and did all the homework for the entire semester that week and turned it in the following week.  

I was chewed out in class, had to talk to the Dean, and was told in no uncertain terms that I couldn't return to class because I made it clear I didn't think I needed to be there.  As such the Prof said he'd throw away my home work, give me 0's for participation, 0's for pop quizes and tests and allow me to take the final only to determine my grade.  The Dean asked if I was OK with that.  I told him only if he allowed me to skip Alg II, Trig, Genometry, and Calc and go straight to Applied Engineering Calculus if I passed.  They agreed.

I took my test, got a 80 something (I think he was ticky tacky on some deductions for work shown) and skipped 4 classes, after a LOT of effort and humiliation.

The Dean should have looked at my record and he would have saw I was on a full academic scholarship for math.  HAHAHAHAHA  Not that I knew more math than the prof or the dean, but I knew more math than the average 18y old and shouldn't be held back because of their inability to challenge me.

Fast forward 20y and now it is common place for kids to graduate highschool with calculus already under their belt, and it is common place to test out for credits.  That was NOT the norm when I was there.  Take advantage.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top