Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/1/2015 12:01:02 PM EDT
We have an '05 Pilot that my wife loves.  

Looking to upgrade in the mid-term future.  She wanted to move up to the new (well, up to 2015) bodystyle Pilot.  She loves her Pilot, and just wants "a newer one".  I'll likely inherit the old (current) one, when my daily driver dies.  We've checked them out at a dealership, and man...it sure doesn't seem to be much more than an updated '05!  By that, I mean same basic features, layout, etc.  A few new neato things, a couple lost neato things.  Overall...it feels like paying a fortune to "freshen up" what we already have.  I have a hard time spending that much money, and feeling like I'm getting the same thing I already have.  Oh, and I think that 08-15 (or whatever it is) body Pilot is ASS UGLY.  I'm not a fan of the Cube, the Leaf, and I don't like the "block on a block" styling of the Pilot, either.

A co-worker suggested we look at the Highlander.  The co-worker has owned 2-3 Pilots, went to the Highlander, and say she much prefers the Highlander.  I like the Toyota because it's not as ugly, and if we're dropping coin on a new vehicle, I'd like it to feel like a new, DIFFERENT vehicle.  Toyota = Honda in the trust/reliability area, so that's a wash to me.

I'm personally a big fan of the styling on the Ford Explorer, but I know nothing about their reliability:

Anything else we're missing?  Would consider the Acura MDX/Lexus RX, but we're unlikely to drop any significant additional coin for the "premier" badging.  2 adults, 3 kids, will be the wife's daily driver, occasionally haul a small trailer/4 wheeler/boat/etc.  I'll have a truck for any "real" hauling/towing duties.  

ETA:  3rd row seating is a requirement.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know how well those options will tow, but I wouldn't want a pretty little lady's car to haul anything. I'd get a used car instead of dropping all your cash on something that will depreciate in value the moment it leaves the lot under your name. However, someone's gotta take the hit and it might as well not be me!

Look at the newer F-150s, quadcab style. PLENTY of room in them for three kids and not bad on fuel either for their size. How far does your wife have to drive for work? What is the average weight you'd have to tow? What does your wife look like? Why do you hate the American economy? ETA: Saw you like the Explorer...I was going to recommend that to you. They're pretty nice, but like you, I haven't heard much about their performance as they're pretty new to the market.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]
We have a '13 Pilot and love it.

MIL has a Highlander and loves it.

Everyone around here seems to love the Explorer.

So I guess I can't help you.

Just find the best deal.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#3]
We have explorers at work. 4x4 models. They are badass vehicles.

And have given zero problems so far after a couple years of .gov usage.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Look at the newer F-150s, quadcab style. PLENTY of room in them for three kids and not bad on fuel either for their size..
View Quote

Incredible deals on 2014s right now, and the crewcabs have more legroom than the explorer does. The explorer does have the option of a third row seat, though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#5]
The new Explorer is one of the best handling CUVs I've ever driven. The Sport is even better. My wife drives a Limited.

That said, we had a Highlander for a long time. Reliable and ergonomic.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I drive an explorer for work. They are very nice. The handling and interior room are unbelievable.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Tahoe/Yukon.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Toyota for the win.

My Land Cruiser just topped 200,000.

The only thing I've done to the engine was replace a starter.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#9]

The 2016 Pilot is all new. My wife has a 2005 Pilot as well and loves it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Totally redesigned Pilots coming out for 2016 model year. Might want to wait for that one to make a decision ( they look too minivan like though).
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#11]
If she plans on upgrading before the 100k mark, you may want to check out the kia sorento.
We test drove every mid size suv, before we drove the kia.We were set to buy the highlander, but the kia was better equiped, had a better warrenty, and was $10k Cheaper.
Our sorento now has about 92k on it, and all it has needed is a new front strut, and back up camera, both coverd by warrenty. I have a feeling the reliability will start to fade after 100k, but i could be wrong.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Check out the GMC Terrain

We just bought one and I'm impressed.

Lots of features for the bucks

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#13]
You cant go wrong with the Honda or Toyota. Go drive them both and decide which you like better. Similar warranty, Toyota comes with 2/25 maintenance.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Do not overlook the Dodge Durango. We have a 2013 and it has been great.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Went through the same thing last year when we needed to upgrade from our Acura RDX.

Had about the same thoughts on the Pilot - felt like a bit of a step back.  Love the reliability but for the money we felt we should be getting something just nicer.

Looked at the Highlanders and really liked them.  They felt a bit smaller than the others.

We also checked out the Nissan Pathfinders - they were actually really nice.  I would go take a look at one before settling on anything.

Our Acura was super nice and if you can drop $50k+ go look at the RDX and MDX.  The RDX was a super fun car that I really miss.  If you don't need massive amounts of room, the RDX might be a great option.

In the end we ended up with a Ford Explorer Limited.  Tons of bells and whistles, rides nice, gets 20 MPG in the real world.  One thing I really hate is it is kind of hard to see laterally - the model we have has the lane monitoring system so that helps.  I just feel I can't see well enough when taking a tight turn around an obstacle - that area between the front tire and main window.  14K on the mileage now and everything is working as it should (knock on wood).
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I don't know how well those options will tow, but I wouldn't want a pretty little lady's car to haul anything. I'd get a used car instead of dropping all your cash on something that will depreciate in value the moment it leaves the lot under your name. However, someone's gotta take the hit and it might as well not be me!

Look at the newer F-150s, quadcab style. PLENTY of room in them for three kids and not bad on fuel either for their size. How far does your wife have to drive for work? What is the average weight you'd have to tow? What does your wife look like? Why do you hate the American economy? ETA: Saw you like the Explorer...I was going to recommend that to you. They're pretty nice, but like you, I haven't heard much about their performance as they're pretty new to the market.
View Quote

As mentioned in the OP, I have a "real" truck for towing/hauling duty, and we'll likely not be buying anything less than 3 years old.  That should address the hauling/depreciation issues.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Tahoe or Yukon.
It's not gimped due to lawsuits like the Explorer (I love the ones running around with a factory Class II hitch above the aftermarket Class III hitch ) and the huge engine bay is easy to work in.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Incredible deals on 2014s right now, and the crewcabs have more legroom than the explorer does. The explorer does have the option of a third row seat, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Look at the newer F-150s, quadcab style. PLENTY of room in them for three kids and not bad on fuel either for their size..

Not buying a new truck.  Still need a truck, but it'll likely be an older, sub $10k unit that sits 90% of the time.  Found a '99 Chevy dually crew cab 4x4 that I really like, locally, for $6500.   That's the route the truck is going to go.  New truck purchase is a non-starter.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Tahoe/Yukon.
View Quote

No go.  This will be the wife's daily driver.  After driving my '99 Suburban and recently '12 Silverado, she hates the full-size units.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

We won't be buying anything less than 2-3 years old, so any 2016 vehicle is out of the running.  Likely 2015, and maybe 2014 as well.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#22]
This thread is relevant to my interests.

Ive been thinking about a nissan pathfinder 4x4 or maybe a honda pilot 4x4.
But my off road needs are really minor.

We have ford explorers at work which i like to drive. But im not a ford guy, and seen other ford products really fall apart with low miles.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Do not overlook the Dodge Durango. We have a 2013 and it has been great.
View Quote

Not a Dodge guy.  I've owned Dodge/Ram/Jeep in the past, but unlikely to do it again.  Chalk it up to personal preference.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#24]
My wife drives an 08 Highlander. 150K and never a problem! I'd buy one again. Can't speak to the others...
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

As mentioned in the OP, I have a "real" truck for towing/hauling duty, and we'll likely not be buying anything less than 3 years old.  That should address the hauling/depreciation issues.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have a truck for "real towing", why bother hauling something with your wife's daily driver? Have you considered the Ford Flex? Its a compromise between car and SUV. Seats seven and seems decently built.

At work, I see people all day long with different vehicles and I do inspections on vehicles of all kinds. Very few have I been impressed with as far as interior room, styling and ergonomics. The little Asian "SUVs" (really just a car on large tires) seem to be overpriced for their performance and what they are. Each company seems to have copied the Lexus RX. They've ALL gone that styling route. Jeep, Hyundai, Toyota etc.

How often will all of your kids be traveling in this vehicle together? Do they play sports? How close in age are they? I think a lot of people buy "large" cars/SUVs assuming their kids will be three season athletes and grow to be 6'5" by the time they're 9th graders. Buy something that suits your needs, not your expectations, no matter how lofty they are.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

My off-road "needs" in this vehicle essentially consist of snow and ice.  Our Pilot is 10 years old, and I'm still blown away by how phenomenally well it does in the snow/limited traction environments.  Then again, it's the newest vehicle we've owned, so it may seem retarded compared to the new stuff.  :)  My amazement may also be due to the fact that this was the first vehicle I've owned with active traction control.  Most everything else were bare bones /older/ pre-traction control vehicles.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I drive an Explorer at work.  Standard V6.  It's decent, but the transmission seems hesitant at first when shifting from park into drive.  Other than that it's been OK.  

I drive a Highlander for a personal car.  Has over 100K miles on it now.   It's been dead nuts reliable and it feels better than my work Explorer as far as build quality, like how solid the doors are when they close, even for an older vehicle.

No experience with the Honda, but it was more expensive when I bough the Toyota, and is listed a little slower.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

We won't be buying anything less than 2-3 years old, so any 2016 vehicle is out of the running.  Likely 2015, and maybe 2014 as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Highlander for FTW.

With used prices on Toyotas, & finance rates what they are on New, Find the best deal on a New Highlander & enjoy the equally low payment & longer warranty.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My off-road "needs" in this vehicle essentially consist of snow and ice.  Our Pilot is 10 years old, and I'm still blown away by how phenomenally well it does in the snow/limited traction environments.  Then again, it's the newest vehicle we've owned, so it may seem retarded compared to the new stuff.  :)  My amazement may also be due to the fact that this was the first vehicle I've owned with active traction control.  Most everything else were bare bones /older/ pre-traction control vehicles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Minivan with AWD?

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Why no Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland?

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
If you have a truck for "real towing", why bother hauling something with your wife's daily driver? Have you considered the Ford Flex? Its a compromise between car and SUV. Seats seven and seems decently built.
At work, I see people all day long with different vehicles and I do inspections on vehicles of all kinds. Very few have I been impressed with as far as interior room, styling and ergonomics. The little Asian "SUVs" (really just a car on large tires) seem to be overpriced for their performance and what they are. Each company seems to have copied the Lexus RX. They've ALL gone that styling route. Jeep, Hyundai, Toyota etc.
How often will all of your kids be traveling in this vehicle together? Do they play sports? How close in age are they? I think a lot of people buy "large" cars/SUVs assuming their kids will be three season athletes and grow to be 6'5" by the time they're 9th graders. Buy something that suits your needs, not your expectations, no matter how lofty they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because sometimes it's just handy to throw the tilt-trailer behind the SUV, and haul the 4 wheeler to my parents.  No need to shuffle the car seats (7 month old and 3 year old).  19mpg in Pilot > 10mpg in truck for casual usage.  The truck is needed mostly for the shit I get into that won't work in an SUV.  Moving forklift, CNC mill, racecar stuff, or just generally heavy, nasty shit.  Also, because my "workhorse" truck won't need to be a cosmetically nice, or mechanically as clean as the wife's daily driver.  I don't mind driving stuff that's not 100%, but I don't want her in one (on any sort of regular basis).
I'd buy a minivan in a heartbeat (provided it was all wheel drive), but she's a no-minivan kind of person.  So, we look at what she likes, for her car.  :)  FWIW, while the crew cab, 4x4, dually sits parked next to the shop...I'll likely be driving my daily driver Focus wagon (or equivalent).  I'm not too hung up on my vehicle defining me.  ;)
How often will be in the vehicle together?  Based on our current usage...a shit ton.  Oldest plays sports, middle is just getting into gymnastics.  Youngest can't crawl yet.  ;)  Ages 11, 3, 7 months.  Still need car/booster seats for the youngest two.  We want an SUV because we need the room and all weather capabilities, and my wife hates wagons/minivans.  :)

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Highlander for FTW.

With used prices on Toyotas, & finance rates what they are on New, Find the best deal on a New Highlander & enjoy the equally low payment & longer warranty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Highlander for FTW.

Helped my mom buy a highlander recently, quickly found out theres no point to buy one used.
IMO the highlander is now up there with the Tacoma and 4 runner with how crazy that specifc market is.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Highlander for FTW.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Highlander for FTW.

That may very well be a possibility.  If so, we'll certainly consider that route.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Minivan with AWD?

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Minivan with AWD?

Kharn

Fine with me, but the wife hates minivans.  I've pointed out that her Pilot is essentially a re-bodied Odyssey, but that did nothing for my argument.  lol

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#35]

I've not had good experience with fuel economy, transmission/transfer case issues on MoPar products.  Their styling is the tits, but I feel the mechanicals let them down.  And their fuel economy seems to suck balls.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#36]
New or used? Thats the old style highlander.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I've not had good experience with fuel economy, transmission/transfer case issues on MoPar products.  Their styling is the tits, but I feel the mechanicals let them down.  And their fuel economy seems to suck balls.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

the never ones have a 8- speed iirc, get the V-6. but i will say the dealership is a turn-off.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Of those 3 It's pretty much a coin toss. I have owned an Explorer and test drove a 2014, nice and roomy so that would have an edge. I ended up with a 4Runner because I wanted to choose when  to go in 4X4 and the price was good.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#39]
A few years ago, I wanted a new Highlander.  Until I drove one.  It drove like a small car.  

So I bought a 4Runner.  

Yes, I'm a Toyota fanboy.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

New or used? Thats the old style highlander.
View Quote

Was considering 2-5 year old used.  Based on the comments above, new may be a financially viable option.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Highlander.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#42]
get a 4runner
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The new ones have a ZF transmission, and mine with a V8 will get 24MPG on the highway.  I have 20k miles on it and not a single issue so far.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
We have an '05 Pilot that my wife loves.  

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=0CAUQjBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autoguide.com%2Fblog%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F%2F2012%2F10%2F2005-honda-pilot-ex-index2.jpg&ei=izXzVLnjHoP9yQTOoYG4Dw&psig=AFQjCNHDzHMkHm7P7e7g23L8injL6vp9SQ&ust=1425311499574471

Looking to upgrade in the mid-term future.  She wanted to move up to the new (well, up to 2015) bodystyle Pilot.  She loves her Pilot, and just wants "a newer one".  I'll likely inherit the old (current) one, when my daily driver dies.  We've checked them out at a dealership, and man...it sure doesn't seem to be much more than an updated '05!  By that, I mean same basic features, layout, etc.  A few new neato things, a couple lost neato things.  Overall...it feels like paying a fortune to "freshen up" what we already have.  I have a hard time spending that much money, and feeling like I'm getting the same thing I already have.  Oh, and I think that 08-15 (or whatever it is) body Pilot is ASS UGLY.  I'm not a fan of the Cube, the Leaf, and I don't like the "block on a block" styling of the Pilot, either.

http://hondaride2016.com/wp-content/uploads/2015-Honda-Pilot-Special-Edition.jpg

A co-worker suggested we look at the Highlander.  The co-worker has owned 2-3 Pilots, went to the Highlander, and say she much prefers the Highlander.  I like the Toyota because it's not as ugly, and if we're dropping coin on a new vehicle, I'd like it to feel like a new, DIFFERENT vehicle.  Toyota = Honda in the trust/reliability area, so that's a wash to me.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/01/01-2011-toyota-highlander-review.jpg

I'm personally a big fan of the styling on the Ford Explorer, but I know nothing about their reliability:

http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/ford/explorer/2013/fd/2013_ford_explorer_actf34_fd_1010121_600.jpg

Anything else we're missing?  Would consider the Acura MDX/Lexus RX, but we're unlikely to drop any significant additional coin for the "premier" badging.  2 adults, 3 kids, will be the wife's daily driver, occasionally haul a small trailer/4 wheeler/boat/etc.  I'll have a truck for any "real" hauling/towing duties.  

View Quote

Well the highlander photo you posted is of a 2013 model.  The highlander was redesigned in 2014.

Personally I would go with the highlander, it is the current benchmark in its class.  I would skip the current explorer since it will be refreshed later this year.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Because sometimes it's just handy to throw the tilt-trailer behind the SUV, and haul the 4 wheeler to my parents.  No need to shuffle the car seats (7 month old and 3 year old).  19mpg in Pilot > 10mpg in truck for casual usage.  The truck is needed mostly for the shit I get into that won't work in an SUV.  Moving forklift, CNC mill, racecar stuff, or just generally heavy, nasty shit.  Also, because my "workhorse" truck won't need to be a cosmetically nice, or mechanically as clean as the wife's daily driver.  I don't mind driving stuff that's not 100%, but I don't want her in one (on any sort of regular basis).

I'd buy a minivan in a heartbeat (provided it was all wheel drive), but she's a no-minivan kind of person.  So, we look at what she likes, for her car.  :)  FWIW, while the crew cab, 4x4, dually sits parked next to the shop...I'll likely be driving my daily driver Focus wagon (or equivalent).  I'm not too hung up on my vehicle defining me.  ;)

How often will be in the vehicle together?  Based on our current usage...a shit ton.  Oldest plays sports, middle is just getting into gymnastics.  Youngest can't crawl yet.  ;)  Ages 11, 3, 7 months.  Still need car/booster seats for the youngest two.  We want an SUV because we need the room and all weather capabilities, and my wife hates wagons/minivans.  :)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It just sounds like you won't be traveling all together for very long. Especially if you have two kids of very drastic age differences. The youngest will probably travel together more than the oldest and middle. How often does the oldest ride the school bus? Everybody thinks they have to be their kid's personal chauffer nowadays when in reality, that is more of the pampered, special snowflake mentality. What does your wife do for work? What distance does she drive? What sports does your oldest play? As a kid, I grew up in a Jeep Cherokee. a 1986 Cherokee, not a Grand Cherokee. I played baseball, we went camping, hauled rock for the yard, dirt etc. It isn't a big vehicle by any means. Family trips with all our camping gear and a tent trailer behind the Jeep. I had one sibling and we're closer in age than your oldest two, so we were always at baseball. I later drove that Jeep in college to lacrosse games all over WA state with five of us and all our gear. Plenty of room. You don't need a massive car because you have three little kids in your family.

I like your mentality of not letting your car define who you are. I have a 2003 VW wagon. I also have a Jeep Cherokee (1999) and a 2003 Ford Ranger. I don't need a fancy car. What do you do for work that you'd use a truck to haul those items? Minivans suck IMO. They are emasculating men everywhere .
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#46]
A few local agencies are piling up the Explorer sport, mainly for LEO. I hate the new Tahoe and I love Tahoe's.....just can't stand it to look like a hearse.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Tahoe/Yukon
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Trailhawk for the win
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Trailhawk for the win
View Quote

even my wife makes fun of those
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:22:53 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm surprised there only have been a couple suggestions for the 4runner. The Highlander is a good choice if you want a CUV. If I recall, the 4runner is still body on frame, so it's more capable in 4wd. My 04 has 140k on it, and I've only done routine maintenance. I'd go 1. Toyota, 2. Honda 3. Ford
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top