User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:16:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Page 2
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:19:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Seems to me that everything has a beginning and an end. Saying that something never had a beginning and just always was... doesn't make sense to me.

Then again, not much does... my wife reminds me constantly .
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:22:51 AM EDT
[#3]
WHAT????!!!!!!!  Without beginning of days or end of years?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:23:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...and what's on the other side of that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never bought into the it all came from nothing " big bang" theory anyways. Way to much matter out there to have all came from nothing.

You guys with your "Matter" crack me up.

Matter is really the simple part of the problem.

What about all that void or space? And what's on the other side of it, far out man . Seriously, the idea that the universe is 9 billion light years across is bedazzling.

...and what's on the other side of that?

Another universe? Heaven? The cell wall of the being we are living in?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:47:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The arrogance of man to think that he actually knows anything at all other than that he is wearing pants...is superbly astounding.

View Quote

I don't understand how people don't get this. If they actually understood the theories that they themselves merely parrot, they would realize not one scientist claims to know jack shit about the origin of the universe. If he or she did they would be the laughing-stock of the scientific community. Same thing applies to deists and religious folk.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:53:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

He didn't say that.

His point is that you shouldn't be overly convinced of your own intellect.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The arrogance of man to think that he actually knows anything at all other than that he is wearing pants...is superbly astounding.

So never at any point try?
I hate posts like this.

He didn't say that.

His point is that you shouldn't be overly convinced of your own intellect.

Oh, I thought he meant I should put on some pants.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:55:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So no gib gnab? Man, thats fucking depressing, I was feeling a bit peckish.  

View Quote

So suck a towel.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:57:22 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

right click, save as

I want that for an avatar.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:00:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I Am

View Quote

yep!

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:16:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't understand how people don't get this. If they actually understood the theories that they themselves merely parrot, they would realize not one scientist claims to know jack shit about the origin of the universe. If he or she did they would be the laughing-stock of the scientific community. Same thing applies to deists and religious folk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But Neil DeGrasse Tyson tweets it!

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:35:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So its not disputing expansion, just disputing a singularity?

Meh, we'll see what predictions it makes and how it can explain things compared to the standard model.

Don't read too much into a yahoo news headline, sensational science journalism at its worst.

View Quote

No one is disputing expansion. What scientists is disputing is constant universal expansion with cosmic edges. Constant universal expansion without contraction have been proved wrong. Certain parts of the universal are contracting. If you google galaxies colliding you will find pictures. Galaxies colliding is impossible in the big bang theory. It cannot happen due to constant expansion. Pictures after pictures of galaxies colliding. That means space is contracting in those areas. A year or so back there was a research paper finally proved space is contracting at certain area in the universe.

The big bang singularity theory doesn't make sense at all. What do you call infinity small singularity? Nothingness. Contain infinity mass. Created a finite universe. Seriously does that making any logically sense at all? It fail at a logic point.

Before the big bang people believed in a static infinity universe which I think is the right theory or the right path. There are a number of scientists still believe in it. Certain part of space expand and contract but it goes in cycles. In other words a part of space expand for few hundred or billion years and start contracting again and so on.  

Personally I find the big bang theory to be very flawed. The theory break fundamental natural laws.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:39:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yeah we did this one, although the other thread title was so full of derp it really brought out the crazies.

As I currently understand this all it does is solve a few mathematical problems at once, it doesn't really change the model.

If it's true there was no singularity though that means our information horizon may be extended farther than we thought possible, which is interesting.

I like this theory a lot because I've never liked the dark matter/energy hypothesis and this does away with them entirely.
View Quote
Obviously the article didn't explain much, but how does it get rid of dark matter?

I mean, wouldn't the galactic velocity problem still exist with or without a singularity?

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No one is disputing expansion. What scientists is disputing is constant universal expansion with cosmic edges. Constant universal expansion without contraction have been proved wrong. Certain parts of the universal are contracting. If you google galaxies colliding you will find pictures. Galaxies colliding is impossible in the big bang theory. It cannot happen due to constant expansion. Pictures after pictures of galaxies colliding. That means space is contracting in those areas. A year or so back there was a research paper finally proved space is contracting at certain area in the universe.

The big bang singularity theory doesn't make sense at all. What do you call infinity small singularity? Nothingness. Contain infinity mass. Created a finite universe. Seriously does that making any logically sense at all? It fail at a logic point.

Before the big bang people believed in a static infinity universe which I think is the right theory or the right path. There are a number of scientists still believe in it. Certain part of space expand and contract but it goes in cycles. In other words a part of space expand for few hundred or billion years and start contracting again and so on.  

Personally I find the big bang theory to be very flawed. The theory break fundamental natural laws.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh, we'll see what predictions it makes and how it can explain things compared to the standard model.

Don't read too much into a yahoo news headline, sensational science journalism at its worst.

Uh, no, sorry, that's just not true.

Not sure where you are getting this information, but its BS.

There are plenty of problems with the standard model of cosmology, and galaxies colliding isn't one of them.

ETA::There are also other problems your assertions:

1) The farther we look out (aka, back), the universe looks different. Galazies look different.  The universe is not static, at BEST it could be cyclic. The theory in the article doesn't change this fact.  The article states that expansion and "development" of the universe isn't eliminated, just the singularity.

2) The universe looks pretty uniform in all directions we look, if "parts of it are collapsing and other parts are expanding" we have no data to show that.  Such a statement would be just a guess on what could be happening far outside of our horizon of visibility.

3) Why do you think that the "fundamental laws" are correct? They are rules that we have observed to be true for the stuff we interact with here on earth. They are just as fallible as any theory, hypothesis, or guess when we are talking about exotic things like the creation of universes.

4) Depending on the "static universe" model you choose, some of those also "break" these fundamental laws of physics as well.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I Am

View Quote

the Beginning and the End. The Alpha and the Omega.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

In the Beginning God Created the Heavens and the Earth.

http://ih0.redbubble.net/image.9754279.0369/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Thank you God!
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, screw things like vaccines, antibiotics and all that sciency stuff.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
We've had what, 80 years to determine something billions of years old is expanding? With light that takes millions of years

to reach our primitive viewing devices?

WE don't know shit. WE just have a lot of guesses. I.E. global climate change, and that

is SO very recent, and ALL bunk.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We've had what, 80 years to determine something billions of years old is expanding? With light that takes millions of years

to reach our primitive viewing devices?

WE don't know shit. WE just have a lot of guesses. I.E. global climate change, and that

is SO very recent, and ALL bunk.

Brilliant observation, Oppenheimer.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View Quote
And its the beauty of science to allow man to make predictions about the way things in the universe are going to behave all while humbly admitting what uncertainties exist in our understanding.
No scientist who understands the standard model of cosmology will say "that we have it all figured out".
Science is just about making models of apparent reality.  The ones that allow you to make better predictions about the universe are "better". That's why relativity is more accurate than Newtonian physics.
If you are simple enough to be fooled into thinking that therefore people are claiming "relativity is definitely true, and Newtonian physics is definitely false", then its a failure on your part, not science or scientists.
When it comes to the standard model of cosmology, the fact is this: We either don't understand most of what makes up the universe (aka, dark matter and dark energy), or we really don't understand the fundamental forces that control the universe, and our current model is just a pretty decent approximation for limited applications.

None of this even remotely implies: "We don't know everything, so we don't know anything".  This is just childish nonsense.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#20]
It's turtles all the way down.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Also, most life on earth capable of making predictions follows the
fundamental assumptions of science without ever knowing it.

From
wolves, to chimps, to children, they all assume if something happened
in the past a certain way, they can expect a similar thing to happen in a
similar situation in the future.  Science, really, it taking this to
the extreme. Quantifying things and trying to remove subjectivity and
confounding factors allows you to make much more accurate predictions
than just simple observation and intuition.

Most people behave this way about most things in their daily lives and the only time they question it is:

1) When someone says that their observations and predictive model conflict with your observations and predictive model (think about planes vs treadmill situations).

2) When its hard for people to reconcile their preconceived notions (particularly political and religious notions) with observations and models that don't fit them.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Matter had to be created at sometime.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#23]
The universe can't last forever, given all of the observations we see and data we have. It would contradict the second law thermodynamics.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#24]
That's a cute theory.

My God laughs at it and weeps at the same time.

In the Beginning......
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

That's a cute theory.

In the Beginning......
View Quote
Why do you feel the need to bring up mythological beings in science threads?

No one is impressed by your belief in fictional entities.

You post reminds me of the kid who still believes in Santa laughing at those who don't and are doing other things instead of waiting in line at the mall.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

That's a cute theory.

In the Beginning......
View Quote

The devil created telescopes to make us not think we are the center of the universe. What a dick.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do it every day on global warming/climate change/etc. It's just a VERY poor theory and yet, it's accepted as absolute  fact by thousands of those in the scientific community that should know better. They have been pushing the BB theory for quite some time now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
They do it every day on global warming/climate change/etc. It's just a VERY poor theory and yet, it's accepted as absolute  fact by thousands of those in the scientific community that should know better. They have been pushing the BB theory for quite some time now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

A "well supported theory", or even "a theory that you personally accept" is allot different than "absolute fact" when it comes to science.

In fact, "absolute fact" is a not present in science, because absolute certainty is a myth.

Also, theories don't become facts, they explain facts.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A "well supported theory", or even "a theory that you personally accept" is allot different than "absolute fact" when it comes to science.

In fact, "absolute fact" is a not present in science, because absolute certainty is a myth.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to many in the scientific community it is absolute FACT and is stated as such and you know that to be true. Is that how it should be presented, absolutely not but you can't grub money from the govt and attempt to control the public by telling them that ''global change'' is merely theoretical and really, all their modelling hasn't even come close what they have actually been.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct!
We know about the origins of the Universe?....but we cannot even manage our own culture or society in a productive manner!

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#31]
The Universe is truly enormous, and yet it's only a part of the tree of Yggdrasil.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I Am
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Does this mean that all the smarter-than-thou people who believed in the BB are actually stupid, easily-duped brain-dead morons who clutch desperately at whatever "truth" is handed down to them from On High by crazy people wearing funny hats?  

Because I want to party with THOSE guys!

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#34]
There are a lot of theories trying to explain the creation of the universe based on available evidence.  Now we have one more.

She's not the first to come up with this concept.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
FPNI. Funny how science is always playing catchup.
View Quote

Sounds like you live in a bizzaro delusional world.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Our twin universe.  Everything looks the same except

They are evil

And they all wear cowboy hats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Eh, the thing is either way the universe is completely unlike anything we are used to dealing with.  If there is an edge to the universe, than what is beyond that edge?

Our twin universe.  Everything looks the same except

They are evil

And they all wear cowboy hats.
..and goatees, don't forget the goatees.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#37]
It funny, strange and sad all at once that when someone mentions or eludes to a supreme being in reference to the enormity of the universe and our pathetic understanding of it, the argument immediately goes to "Yeah, then we should just move back to huts!  THATS what you crazy believers in the mythical spaghetti monster want, amIright?"

Why is it so impossible to think maybe, just maybe there are things going on we don't understand.  Including the possibility of a supreme being or power?

Similar to atheists who MUST set up during Christmas to show their distain for religion.  The opposite of love is not hate, it is ambivalence.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Correct!
We know about the origins of the Universe?....but we cannot even manage our own culture or society in a productive manner!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct!

No one with any sense ever said this shit was easy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

It funny, strange and sad all at once that when someone mentions or eludes to a supreme being in reference to the enormity of the universe and our pathetic understanding of it, the argument immediately goes to "Yeah, then we should just move back to huts!  THATS what you crazy believers in the mythical spaghetti monster want, amIright?"

Why is it so impossible to think maybe, just maybe there are things going on we don't understand.  Including the possibility of a supreme being or power?

Similar to atheists who MUST set up during Christmas to show their distain for religion.  The opposite of love is not hate, it is ambivalence.
View Quote

Atheism is emotional in nature. Logical skepticism at least arrives at agnosticism or deism.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Indeed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I Am

Indeed.

Word.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#42]
I have always questioned if we are just an infinitesimal segment  of an electron in a very much larger atom.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Matter had to be created at sometime.
View Quote

You probably failed in Science class....

The Law of Conservation of Mass

1. The law of conservation of mass, or principle of mass conservation, states that for any system closed to all transfers of matter and energy (both of which have mass), the mass of the system must remain constant over time, as system mass cannot change quantity if it is not added or removed.

Meaning, it cannot be created or destroyed. It is simply transferred.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Interesting how a religious thread gets locked much faster when scientific arguments are made, but a scientific thread remains open after being flooded with religious arguments.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#45]
When my Dad got into the Chemistry business in the '50's, there was a school of thought among the 'Scientific Community' that "everything that could be discovered had already been discovered".

So, arrogance in the Scientific Community is nothing new.  From the Solar System revolving around Earth to Climate Change, the arrogance is strong...

TC
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Flat earthers are going to flat earth.  It's settled science. We started with the Bang.

Al Gore
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

When my Dad got into the Chemistry business in the '50's, there was a school of thought among the 'Scientific Community' that "everything that could be discovered had already been discovered".

So, arrogance in the Scientific Community is nothing new.  From the Solar System revolving around Earth to Climate Change, the arrogance is strong...

TC
View Quote

Not more arrogant than people whom claim a 3000 year old, 500 page book explains everything.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's only a model.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Not more arrogant than people whom claim a 3000 year old, 500 page book explains everything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TC

I have always considered that particular book is a method of bronze age people to understand the world around them and to get a handle on human nature.........this does not mean that parts are not divinely inspired, just that much of it is comprised of parables.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Tell a man that the universe has always existed without beginning or end and he will believe you.

Tell him there's wet paint on a patio chair.....he has to f*cking touch or sit on it to believe you.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top