BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:00:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not being snarky, but seriously, you should start there.  It's not that long or difficult to get through.

Texas has many nuances to its laws, so I can't hold that against you, especially since you don't live here.  I can, however, hold it against a TX police officer, who is expected to know and enforce the laws, and to abide by them himself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fair enough, I don't know Texas law well.  

I'm speaking in generalities regarding an OC stop. I haven't watched the video in this thread.

Not being snarky, but seriously, you should start there.  It's not that long or difficult to get through.

Texas has many nuances to its laws, so I can't hold that against you, especially since you don't live here.  I can, however, hold it against a TX police officer, who is expected to know and enforce the laws, and to abide by them himself.

I'll try to watch it later tonight.

From what I read he sounds like a dick.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:01:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm on the officer's side with this.  He started off the right way.....the video shows the guy taking off at a brisk pace after he was told nothing was going to happen, who wouldn't be suspicious?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:02:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yep fine by me.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This paragraph was right in the middle of your cite......
But how can you tell if an officer asking you to identify yourself has reasonable suspicion? Remember, police need reasonable suspicion to detain you. So one way to tell if they have reasonable suspicion is to determine if you’re free to go. You can do this by saying "Excuse me officer. Are you detaining me, or am I free to go?” If the officer says you’re free to go, leave immediately and don’t answer any more questions.
Yep fine by me.  

This is precisely what the OC'er in the video did.  Except that the officer decided he didn't really mean what he said, swung his car around into the guy's path, and got out with his own rifle in hand (and at the dreaded "low ready", no less ).
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm on the officer's side with this.  He started off the right way.....the video shows the guy taking off at a brisk pace after he was told nothing was going to happen, who wouldn't be suspicious?
View Quote

Who would be dumb enough to stick around and chat after being told you're not being detained?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This is precisely what the OC'er in the video did.  Except that the officer decided he didn't really mean what he said, swung his car around into the guy's path, and got out with his own rifle in hand (and at the dreaded "low ready", no less ).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This paragraph was right in the middle of your cite......

But how can you tell if an officer asking you to identify yourself has reasonable suspicion? Remember, police need reasonable suspicion to detain you. So one way to tell if they have reasonable suspicion is to determine if you’re free to go. You can do this by saying "Excuse me officer. Are you detaining me, or am I free to go?” If the officer says you’re free to go, leave immediately and don’t answer any more questions.
Yep fine by me.  

I'll check it out.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please articulate your suspicion.

That is what a lawyer asks a cop on the witness stand when probable cause is being determined.

If the cop says that the person walked away briskly after being told he was not being detained, the lawyer just made some easy money.
The stupidest thing a cop can say is that he had a gut feeling. Again easy money for the lawyer.

The only right answer the cop can give is to cite what law he thought was being broken and why a reasonable person would think that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Let me state this again at about 14:33 the officer flat out admitted he did not think he had Probable cause to detain the man yet he still detained him. That is pretty damning.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A lot of General attacks against open carry people. About 20-30 people should be getting warnings or bans but I guess the mods are okay with it. Give me a break.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I stopped watching at 15 mins.

Cop seems like a good guy, just got a little ahead of himself.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:28:13 AM EDT
[#10]
The cop needs a vacation. He was being a dick from the very start. The way the cop was talking to, or in essence yelling at the OC guy was very unprofessional. You don't talk down to people like that in a field interview. You get the most cooperation by talking as one adult to another adult in a respectful manner and tone. And the comment by the cop about it being his streets was a total dick move.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The cop needs a vacation. He was being a dick from the very start. The way the cop was talking to, or in essence yelling at the OC guy was very unprofessional. You don't talk down to people like that in a field interview. You get the most cooperation by talking as one adult to another adult in a respectful manner and tone. And the comment by the cop about it being his streets was a total dick move.
View Quote
Yea I noticed that too.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:30:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A lot of General attacks against open carry people. About 20-30 people should be getting warnings or bans but I guess the mods are okay with it. Give me a break.

http://www.perpetualpageturner.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/41806-Emma-Stone-are-you-crying-gif-71rm.gif

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:49:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.perpetualpageturner.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/41806-Emma-Stone-are-you-crying-gif-71rm.gif

Only for you

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:59:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I am all for open carrying, But I thought it was illegal in Tx?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:26:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I am all for open carrying, But I thought it was illegal in Tx?
View Quote

To my knowledge rifles and shotguns are okay but handguns are not. http://www.texasgunlaws.org/texas-open-carry.htm

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:32:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Man these stupid fucks make me angry. They have no conception whatever of how society works. No tact. No social grace. No. fucking. clue.  They will make people hate us, and they will make people hate our cause.I seriously think most of them must be high-functioning autistics.

For the record, I support open carry. I just can't stand it when these idiots go out into metropolitan areas with AR's strapped to their backs wearing crappy clothes and looking like they just escaped from the psych ward. Then when a cop tries to check out the situation they act like complete and utter dicks (and if anyone here is familiar with my views I am usually NOT on the cop's side).
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:57:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Man these stupid fucks make me angry. They have no conception whatever of how society works. No tact. No social grace. No. fucking. clue.  They will make people hate us, and they will make people hate our cause.I seriously think most of them must be high-functioning autistics.

For the record, I support open carry. I just can't stand it when these idiots go out into metropolitan areas with AR's strapped to their backs wearing crappy clothes and looking like they just escaped from the psych ward. Then when a cop tries to check out the situation they act like complete and utter dicks (and if anyone here is familiar with my views I am usually NOT on the cop's side).
View Quote
what type of open carry do you support Texas only allows open carry of long guns

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:19:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
what type of open carry do you support Texas only allows open carry of long guns  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not looking like a douche in a kilt with an AR and a safari hat.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:21:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So, open carry should not be permitted. It that what you mean? Just trying to clarify what ruining it for everyone means.

If not please explain.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Open carry activists need to stop being idiots and ruining it for everyone.

So, open carry should not be permitted. It that what you mean? Just trying to clarify what ruining it for everyone means.

If not please explain.

No, I never said it shouldn't be permitted.  I just see all these open carry activists pushing the limits.  You have those guys with full rifles walking through coffee shops.  Is it legal?  Yes.  Is it in poor taste?  Yes.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:25:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So instead of giving an answer you give a pointed attack at a person, real clever. Even though this was not pointed at you you decided to answer. What is your answer to the original comment rather than a douche answer.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:27:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

No, I never said it shouldn't be permitted.  I just see all these open carry activists pushing the limits.  You have those guys with full rifles walking through coffee shops.  Is it legal?  Yes.  Is it in poor taste?  Yes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If not please explain.

But in texas open carry of pistols are not allowed what is their other option for open carry.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:49:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So instead of giving an answer you give a pointed attack at a person, real clever. Even though this was not pointed at you you decided to answer. What is your answer to the original comment rather than a douche answer.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, actually that's exactly the answer. Whether you like it or not, society is ultimately responsible for the laws it supports. Were the sociological factors present during the penning of the Constitution different from what they were, the Constitution would be different from what it is. Society determines law (I am making no claim about natural rights, which are completely different altogether). Mob rule? Yep, albeit with some buffers.

It's really quite simple. Soccer mom sees basement dude walking around with scary looking gun and calls the police. She doesn't know any better. She's soccer mom. Then soccer mom sees basement dude's Youtube video and thinks, "holy shit, that guy's a douche who probably has mental issues." Then soccer mom is conditioned, not by the evil, wicked media, but by basement guy who looks like he just broke out of the psych ward, to associate guns with seemingly unstable douche-bags.

That's bad for us, since soccer mom is also voter mom, and her encounter with basement dude mostly likely just raised raised the probably that she will vote for someone who promises to "keep guns off of our kids' streets." Now, is soccer mom being rational? No, but that's entirely beside the point. It's completely irrelevant. As long as soccer mom is also voter mom, we just have to deal with it and try not to look like fucking douchebags.

Am I being hyperbolic? No, honestly I don't think I am.

We are, all of us, ambassadors for the civil rights movement (of the 2A type). When we look like complete fools, it makes our cause look foolish. It's as simple as that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:15:37 AM EDT
[#23]
You guys living in the free states should take note what happened to us
in Ca when those idiots started hanging out at the beach and coffee
shops with their AR15's and finally got open carry banned in this state.
Yes they ruined it for everyone. It was perfectly legal in this state
until they started having those large group meets solely to walk around with
an AR strapped around your chest with nothing else to do, and yes it was
scaring all the soccer moms and even some cops so a bill was introduced which easily got passed.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:26:48 AM EDT
[#24]
What do cops have to respond to? I had my car broke into and could see 5 other cars with there doors wide open on my street and they would not even send out an officer. There was a case in Madison Wisconsin where a lady called 911 on some OC people at a restaurant and the operator told the lady that OC was legal but the cops still tried to jam up the OC people with some BS charges. This video would not have existed if the COP had followed the law. He admits that he has nothing on the OC person and is trying his best to get something on the OC person who is actually following the law. Unfortunately the cop and many people here think that his following the law and expecting the cop to follow the law makes him a dick  

ETA> Madison 5 link http://www.ammoland.com/2011/07/wisconsin-carry-files-second-lawsuit-in-madison-5-culvers-incident/
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:29:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

You guys living in the free states should take note what happened to us in Ca when those idiots started hanging out at the beach and coffee shops with their AR15's and finally got open carry banned in this state. Yes they ruined it for everyone. It was perfectly legal in this state until they started having those large group meets solely to walk around with an AR strapped around your chest with nothing else to do, and yes it was scaring all the soccer moms and even some cops so a bill was introduced which easily got passed.

View Quote
I always love this argument. Dont use your rights or you might lose them. Guess what by not using them you already lost them.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:43:06 AM EDT
[#26]
ITT: people who don't like Liberty.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:55:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I always love this argument. Dont use your rights or you might lose them. Guess what by not using them you already lost them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys living in the free states should take note what happened to us in Ca when those idiots started hanging out at the beach and coffee shops with their AR15's and finally got open carry banned in this state. Yes they ruined it for everyone. It was perfectly legal in this state until they started having those large group meets solely to walk around with an AR strapped around your chest with nothing else to do, and yes it was scaring all the soccer moms and even some cops so a bill was introduced which easily got passed.

Yea I have no problem with using your rights but there's a time and place for it. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Is it proper to take your AR15 to a nice a steak house with your women and show off your gun in front of everyone? The promoters that kept putting these on were told repeatedly they were doing more harm then good. The way they were putting them on was just shoving it down every ones throat which is not cool in my opinion.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:02:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Yea I have no problem with using your rights but there's a time and place for it. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Is it proper to take your AR15 to a nice a steak house with your women and show off your gun in front of everyone? The promoters that kept putting these on were told repeatedly they were doing more harm then good. The way they were putting them on was just shoving it down every ones throat which is not cool in my opinion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So out of curiosity other than OCing your rifle while hidden on your own property where do you think an acceptable time and place for it would be?

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:05:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

time and place for RIGHTS? lmao.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:07:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So out of curiosity other than OCing your rifle while hidden on your own property where do you think an acceptable time and place for it would be?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know. I have a saxophone, and I'm free to carry my saxophone with me wherever I want to, but it would look weird (and stupid) for me to bring it into a McDonalds.

If you insist on bringing your AR-15 into a restaurant (if you really feel that a concealed G19 just isn't enough firepower), then dress like a respectable individual and don't act like a fucking child when people react to seeing something they don't usually see--something that is specifically designed to kill people.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:10:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So If I wear a business suit, and an AR slung, is that ok then?  It's about fashion?  

Or is it too scary to think about citizens walking around with rifles in public?

I think everyone here has been affected by the media, to an extent, including me.
But I have realized the slow insidious message being put out in all forms of media, in our schools, in movies and TV series, blogs and newspapers.

The message that guns are NOT ok. That they should NOT be seen in a gun rack in your truck, or slung over your shoulder.

We have been told guns in public are scary again and again. And you believe it.

The NRA and GOA are the only ones talking about all the lives that have been saved by some honest citizen carrying a gun in a public place.

So even though we have the right, and the privilege, we are afraid of what others might think. We will be outcasts, fringe gun nuts, the brunt of jokes and criticism. People will call the police and report us because it's frightening. So we dare not do that thing.

Is that close? If not please explain.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:12:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I don't know. I have a saxophone, and I'm free to carry my saxophone with me wherever I want to, but it would look weird (and stupid) for me to bring it into a McDonalds.

If you insist on bringing your AR-15 into a restaurant (if you really feel that a concealed G19 just isn't enough firepower), then dress like a respectable individual and don't act like a fucking child when people react to seeing something they don't usually see--something that is specifically designed to kill people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So oc is a right you can and should do as long as no one sees it

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:13:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If not please explain.

explain why?  What is in good taste? I don't feel the need to carry often, but if I don't want to leave my $2500 HK93 in the car on the way back from a sand pit shoot, do I need to worry about the fashion police giving me a ticket while I pick up some coffee and a sandwich?

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:15:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK so I'll play. So when is the right time?  Never?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:16:13 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe it's your god given right to carry where ever you want. I just think its dumb for some people to do the things they do to ruin it for everyone especially after being told by many gun owners they were doing more harm then good. Now we lost those rights. What I'm sayin is if these promoters start doing this in your states put a stop to it these people have an agenda and its not for the good.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:18:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
when people react to seeing something they don't usually see--something that is specifically designed to kill people.
View Quote

Ah...so that's it. Guns are only for killing - and that why we shouldn't OC them.

We have heard that before. A Certain congress critter named Feinstein said it way before you.

We should hide away our guns like dirty secrets in their cases and bags. locked in the trunk lest someone realize there are men and women with purpose made killing machines walking around.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:18:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

All of them.  

Pick them all up.

View All Quotes
Really? 5 cents each here in Iowa

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:20:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
[So oc is a right you can and should do as long as no one sees it  
View Quote

The irony of the is profound.

Please read my comment again, as it is quite obvious that you spectacularly failed at grasping the point the first time around (it's not like I was writing in cryptic metaphors or using esoteric verbiage--pretty simple stuff really).
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:22:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ah...so that's it. Guns are only for killing - and that why we shouldn't OC them.

We have heard that before. A Certain congress critter named Feinstein said it way before you.

We should hide away our guns like dirty secrets in their cases and bags. locked in the trunk lest someone realize there are men and women with purpose made killing machines walking around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
when people react to seeing something they don't usually see--something that is specifically designed to kill people.

Yes, AR-15's were designed to kill people. Am I wrong on this

And please stop putting words in my mouth. It's getting irritating. I do you the respect of responding to the things you write, not the things I pull out of my ass so I can build a bunch of straw men.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:27:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And please stop putting words in my mouth. It's getting irritating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are opposed to them being OC'd because they were designed to kill people?

Just trying to get a handle on the sentiment. Pretty sure the second amendment wasn't referring to arms designed for sport.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:29:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

So you are opposed to them being OC'd because they were designed to kill people?

Trying to get a handle on the sentiment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you're not. You're putting words in my mouth because your position is weak and you need to build a bunch of straw men to knock down so you can feel like you've won. Stop being dishonest about the things I say and/or imply and maybe we can have a conversation.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:31:46 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well when open carry was legal in Ca for all the years I have lived here I never felt the need to strap my rifle on and walk around the neighborhood or take it to Home Depot to pick up some sprinklers. But if some people want to do it then its up to them I just think its lame to stand around pacing back and forth in front of Starbucks trying to get every ones attention..

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:34:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No you're not. You're putting words in my mouth because your position is weak and you need to build a bunch of straw men to knock down so you can feel like you've won.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you're not. You're putting words in my mouth because your position is weak and you need to build a bunch of straw men to knock down so you can feel like you've won.

What position is weak, the position that people should be allowed to exercise their rights under the law?

And who said I was talking about military weapons exclusively. What if I carry OC a 410 shotgun with modified choke and a 26" barrel. Was that designed for killing people? I know a lot of dove and quail that would disagree.

Is that shotgun ok to OC, then, since it was never designed to be used on people?

I really don't understand your argument. When is OC ok, when isn't it. Or is it never ok according to you.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:37:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Well when open carry was legal in Ca for all the years I have lived here I never felt the need to strap my rifle on and walk around the neighborhood or take it to Home Depot to pick up some sprinklers. But if some people want to do it then its up to them I just think its lame to stand around pacing back and forth in front of Starbucks trying to get every ones attention..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what you are saying is that exercising the right gets it taken away? But if you don't, what's the point of having it?
You sure it wasn't just electing politicians who are bent on taking away gun rights period that didn't cause the problem?

I have never felt the need to carry a rifle to home depot either, but I won't criticize anyone who does.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:40:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What position is weak, the position that people should be allowed to exercise their rights under the law?

And who said I was talking about military weapons exclusively. What if I carry OC a 410 shotgun with modified choke and a 26" barrel. Was that designed for killing people? I know a lot of dove and quail that would disagree.

Is that shotgun ok to OC, then, since it was never design to be used on people?
View Quote

Then some random guy on the internet whispered to _DR "psssst, hey dude, I don't think that Bizzarolibe guy ever actually said that people shouldn't be allowed to OC..."
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:51:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Then some random guy on the internet whispered to _DR "psssst, hey dude, I don't think that Bizzarolibe guy ever actually said that people shouldn't be allowed to OC..."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you didn't say people shouldn't be allowed to OC, but you seemed to be criticizing some of those who do. I apologize if I misinterpreted your statement.

I just see a whole lot of posts this thread clearly expressing their disdain for those who would exercise their right to OC their longarm in public, and I find it somewhat disturbing to see on a gun forum.

I would like to see so much of it that it's as common as seeing someone texting on an iPhone or Galaxy.

I can remember a time when nobody would raise an eyebrow at someone walking though a hardware store with a shotgun slung over their shoulder. In fact most hardware stores sold shotguns. I was glad to see our local Gebos started carrying guns and ammo again last year after years of nothing but horse tack and hardware.

If OC was more common it would be a non issue and we could all move on to better things than discussing whether or not we should OC in public or not. Like discussing whether 9mm is better than .45.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:58:21 AM EDT
[#47]
How easy it would be to snag one of those rifles.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
How easy it would be to snag one of those rifles.

http://freakoutnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/RaisingCanes3-1.jpg

View Quote

If the owner of that that Cain's had any kind of decency, he would provide some nice rifle racks for his customers to put them in.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:17:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No, you didn't say people shouldn't be allowed to OC, but you seemed to be criticizing some of those who do. I apologize if I misinterpreted your statement.

I just see a whole lot of posts this thread clearly expressing their disdain for those who would exercise their right to OC their longarm in public, and I find it somewhat disturbing to see on a gun forum.

I would like to see so much of it that it's as common as seeing someone texting on an iPhone or Galaxy.

I can remember a time when nobody would raise an eyebrow at someone walking though a hardware store with a shotgun slung over their shoulder. In fact most hardware stores sold shotguns. I was glad to see our local Gebos started carrying guns and ammo again last year after years of nothing but horse tack and hardware.

If OC was more common it would be a non issue and we could all move on to better things than discussing whether or not we should OC in public or not. Like discussing whether 9mm is better than .45.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I sympathize with your position (I really, truly do). I would also like to see it become a norm once again. The problem is that, until that happens, there is a right way to OC--a way that will cause the public to look on us favorably--and a wrong way to OC--a way that will cause the public to look on us contemptuously--and we should strive to do it the right way and shame those who would do it the wrong way.

Many here would sneer at the cultural norms that define our society, and I think they do so to the detriment of the 2A community. Like it or not, one of the reasons democrats attract so many young, college age people is damn good marketing. Libtards know how to dress, what to say, and what kind of font to use on their websites. You and I both know that ideals have little to do with it. We quite literally have to make OC cool, and walking around in a kilt and a silly hat antagonizing a cop who, misguided though he was, was trying to be personable just isn't the way to do it.

As much as I hate to say it, our war is as much a PR war as it is an ideological one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:20:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No, actually that's exactly the answer. Whether you like it or not, society is ultimately responsible for the laws it supports. Were the sociological factors present during the penning of the Constitution different from what they were, the Constitution would be different from what it is. Society determines law (I am making no claim about natural rights, which are completely different altogether). Mob rule? Yep, albeit with some buffers.

It's really quite simple. Soccer mom sees basement dude walking around with scary looking gun and calls the police. She doesn't know any better. She's soccer mom. Then soccer mom sees basement dude's Youtube video and thinks, "holy shit, that guy's a douche who probably has mental issues." Then soccer mom is conditioned, not by the evil, wicked media, but by basement guy who looks like he just broke out of the psych ward, to associate guns with seemingly unstable douche-bags.

That's bad for us, since soccer mom is also voter mom, and her encounter with basement dude mostly likely just raised raised the probably that she will vote for someone who promises to "keep guns off of our kids' streets." Now, is soccer mom being rational? No, but that's entirely beside the point. It's completely irrelevant. As long as soccer mom is also voter mom, we just have to deal with it and try not to look like fucking douchebags.

We are, all of us, ambassadors for the civil rights movement (of the 2A type). When we look like complete fools, it makes our cause look foolish. It's as simple as that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. I think most people already have their minds made up and no amount of discussion or facts will change their views. For others, who are open to a cultural change, the behavior of the OC activists makes a difference.

For example, I don't give a crap if someone is gay but no way will I *ever* support gay marriage because of the behavior of its supporters.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top