Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/27/2015 4:22:08 PM EDT
Apparently Purina Beneful dog food is being blamed for killing dogs

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/02/25/lawsuit-brand-purina-dog-food-is-killing-dogs/

My mother in law bought some a couple weeks back and her dog (pit bull beagle mix)  started having seizures and "zoning out"

She said he almost bit her twice when she snapped him out of his daze

She has never had problems with her dog before and the dog is a very healthy and sturdy young dog.....kinda odd

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't feed your dogs shit food with Chicom biproducts....

Go Wellness or Blue Buffalo

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Blue Buffalo is what my dad feeds our German Shepherd, she likes it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Corn based garbage, and imported chicken waste from China.

Tractror supply 4Health, Kirkland grain Free, and many others are reasonable, grain free, and U.S. sourced.

Beneful is some seriously fucked up Mutt chow.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember driving by a Purina (I think) plant in Denver. That place smelled like absolute filth.

I would never feed my dogs that shit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife always checks the package, if it says China, we do not let our dog have it.

Weather it's Toys, Treats, Food, etc

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Dogs eat poop.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Just took our dag off this last week, we tried the adult kibble and he was vomiting every day.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Supposed to be a polypropylene glycol issue. I've been feeding my dag Beneful for all of his 15 years. He's pretty damn healthy for being 15.

Europe has stricter standards on the amount of PG that can be added to foods. Nestles owns Purina. Nestles is a European company.

The 'Fireball cinnamon whiskey having anti-freeze in it' internet rumor comes to mind. That turned out to be hokum.

There was also a rumor a couple years ago about Chinese dog food being poison. Also overplayed.

I'll likely switch brands to be safe...but I still believe this is going to turn out to be bullshit.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/02/25/lawsuit-brand-purina-dog-food-is-killing-dogs/

My mother in law bought some a couple weeks back and her dog (pit bull beagle mix)  started having seizures and "zoning out"

She has never had problems with her dog before and the dog is a very healthy and sturdy young dog.....kinda odd  
View Quote

Pitbull mix?
I thought those were supposed to try to kill everyone around them.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had decent success with boots and barkley. Purina made my dog very sick.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dogs eat poop.
View Quote

So?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Pitbull mix?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pitbull mix?

He does

She has "dangerous dog" signs plastered all over the yard

He's a pretty good dog.......just don't try to touch his face

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Is Purina Beneful using Chinese made products? That would be really messed up if they do, those Chicoms do some f'd up things to food products. "Melamine"
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Our dog refuses to eat it.
She starved herself for 4 days until I caved and threw it out.

The only human food she gets is the odd bone out of a roast , so she's not spoiled when it come to food.

She's on Cesar right now and is quite happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Let me guess... made in china?

Yep...

I hope purina gets their meat sacks sued off for this.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#16]
at first i was thinking this was their higher end stuff, but I was mistaken, that is pro-plan.

our dogs get purina one, and the main ingredient is just chicken, not corn/chicken by product (when comparing ingredients from their sites) and says made in MO

meh, dags like it and have been on it for years
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Our dogs all eat Purina EN Gastroenteric, which is for dogs with digestive issues. It's very expensive but the dogs like it and they no longer have any issues. When our vet first recommended it we resisted, there was no way we were going to feed our dogs Purina trash. She agreed she would never recommend Purina, except for this one product, which is apparently not a part of their Chinese operation. The dogs like it and no longer have problems, so we have kept them on it for several years. But just knowing it is made by Purina is unsettling.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I applied for a job at a local place that makes that dog food.

I was very impressed with the place.  

It is a shame they use chinese ingredients, if true.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#20]
anyone heard anything about purina one?  we feed our dogs this.

the little one got the shitz the other day,  he had stuff squirting out his butt like someone stepped on a ketchup pack..........

poor puppy
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I actually have been feeding my dog Purina Pro Plan recently since it was on sale at the pet store and looked to be a high dollar dog food I could trust.

Now I'm a bit worried myself
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#22]
i don't know if it's a proven thing or not, but personally, i lost three dobies inside of 14 months, to a fast acting stomach/pancreatic cancer. we feed blue diamond now, and haven't had any issues. fuck beneful. and fbho.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#23]
ya, my wife had a melt down about this.
I bought a different brand last night

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Petaphiles"
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Supposed to be a polypropylene glycol issue. I've been feeding my dag Beneful for all of his 15 years. He's pretty damn healthy for being 15.

Europe has stricter standards on the amount of PG that can be added to foods. Nestles owns Purina. Nestles is a European company.

The 'Fireball cinnamon whiskey having anti-freeze in it' internet rumor comes to mind. That turned out to be hokum.

There was also a rumor a couple years ago about Chinese dog food being poison. Also overplayed.

I'll likely switch brands to be safe...but I still believe this is going to turn out to be bullshit.

View Quote

You'll find comfort in knowing that when you eventually bury your dog he's never really gone.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I would never consider feeding my dog that garbage to begin with.

Orijen FTW!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#27]
My dog gets that stuff.

All she does is lie around in the middle of the street, drool, and shed.

Think I can get in on the suit?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#28]
What, no DINOVITE users here??
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Gave my pit/lab seizures.   Switched her to iams back in September,  no problems since.  Woulda known it was shit food, never woulda fed it to her.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#30]
But people told me stuff made in China was just as well made as it is in Canada and the US.

Arc'teryx shit made in China is just as good as the stuff made in Canada.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not bullshit.  A neighbors dogs died from poisoned dog food years ago, and my dog at the time got really sick and refused to eat.  Eventually after a few days, my dog started eating again, but refused to eat his poisoned dog food.  He was smarter than me.  It was at this time the neighbors dog died, and a few days after talking to them it was announced about the poisoned dog food from China (name brand).  My dog only got really good food from then on, and prob the reason he survived was his size, the neighbors dog was 20lbs, mine was 125lbs. and my dog only got a small amount of the name brand can food added to his dinner.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Not that we need anymore .gov, BUT...all food products from China, be they for humans or critters, should have to be labeled as being from China.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#33]
make your own dogfood out of fresh ingredients you source.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#34]
watching this closely. Got some a few weeks back for our weenie dog and he shit like a fire hose for two weeks. He did NOT like it. Went back to Royal Canin.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#35]
My best friend is a vet, he told me he has been seeing 3-5 sick dogs a day from Purina.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

The bad Chinese dog food was no a rumor.  The company importing it into China went to the factory to check out their manufacturing processes.  The factory had been leveled.  The food was contaminated with melamine.  It was causing renal failure.  This was in 2007.  A woman who tried to show her dog that it was okay to eat by eating some herself suffered renal failure.  Here is a link toe the Wikipedia article on the bad food.  Thousands of dogs died after eating the stuff.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_pet_food_recalls
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Supposedly. Although it's accepted as safe for dog consumption, so if that were the case I don't see Purina/Nestle being liable.

Another supposed cause was contaminated grain, which seems more likely to me.

Either way, doesn't matter to me. Never fed my dags Beneful.

Recently picked up some Blue Buffalo and they fucking love it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#38]
There are usually dog food plants local to everyone, or at least within 50 miles or so.

Find out who is local. Talk with them about their ingredients, origin countries etc, and if satisfied, ask what "no name" or "feed and seed " store name brands they sell locally, that are the same as the higher end stuff. There are usually several types and brands that come from a plant, and many of the " feed and seed store " brands that are cheap, are the exact same thing, from the same run as the top quality high end brands. Those feed and seed store brand's orders are usually filled after the high end stuff is done, but are just overruns. Sometimes a run may be rejected for first line high end use due to a small percentage of difference in content, and that is used to fill the second line.

There was a local here that dis some of the $45 bags 20lb or really high end stuff for $15 for 50lbs here at the local feed and seed. Same stuff most of the time, sometimes fat content would be off a bit but not bad.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I switched my dogs over to this a few months ago. I got curious after I read this article yesterday. Looks like Blue Buffalo also has a lot of negative reviews, which doesnt surprise me. Most people wont take the time to write a review for something positive, but I also saw someone mention they are starting to outsource to China. Still not sure if thats true or not.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

"Petaphiles"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Petaphiles"

I don't get it?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
 I have no idea why polypropylene glycol  would actually be added to anything.  Years ago I used to repair equipment in food processing plants. It's listed as an ingredient on many things, including bread.

But, this comes from the fact that there can be some cross contamination from heat exchangers where a liquid product is cooled.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no idea why polypropylene glycol  would actually be added to anything.  Years ago I used to repair equipment in food processing plants. It's listed as an ingredient on many things, including bread.

But, this comes from the fact that there can be some cross contamination from heat exchangers where a liquid product is cooled.

Actually, I misspoke. It's Propylene Glycol...not Polypropylene Glycol. Propylene Glycol is a preservative used in a lot of food products. PG is even used in e-cigarette juice.

"Propylene glycol is an approved food additive for dog food under the category of animal feed and is generally recognized as safe for dogs with an LD50 of 9 mL/kg. The LD50 is higher for most laboratory animals (20 mL/kg). However, it is prohibited for use in food for cats due to links to Heinz body anemia"

Polypropylene Glycol is anti-freeze and is toxic.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I remember driving by a Purina (I think) plant in Denver. That place smelled like absolute filth.

I would never feed my dogs that shit.
View Quote

They have a dog food plant in Lafayette, south of me, and the place smells like a bag of smashed assholes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#43]
SHOCKING.

Our dog passed away from the 2007 dog food problem
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

This stuff will terminate skin issues.  I mix a scoop with some wet dog food, warm bacon fat and Taste of the Wild kibble from Tractor Supply.  My golden retriever used to get hot spots and shed awfully--now, you can't pull fur off him.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Raw fed FTW!

Don't feed crappy dog food if you actually love your animals. Remember, just like with children, you make their dietary decisions for them. Your children might survive on candy and mac & cheese, and I'm sure they'd love it, but it ain't healthy. Neither is crappy dog food healthy for your dog. Meeting the AAFCO minimum standards just means that feeding it long term won't cause your animal to die, assuming it's uncontaminated.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

Dinovite is a powdered supplement...not a dog food.

I used to buy dinovite until the pricks double billed me and when I called them...they accused me of trying to fuck them out of 50 bucks, and it took a chargeback to get my money back. I won't trade with them again.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#47]
From here on out, if a dog gets sick from anything.... it's Purina's fault.    I'm sure they're in the business of killing dogs.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Beneful is garbage.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Always leery of grain-based, cheap foods...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top