BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Trespassing in NYS is a violation, punishable by at most 15 days in jail ( 10 with good time ) and /or a small monetary fine
In other words, nothing even close to justifying the use of deadly physical force
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it is after dark here and someone opens any of my doors they will have a bad night. Just because it is not locked doesn't mean it is not  trespassing.

Out of control police state. He deserved to have his face chewed off and then shot in the face.

Trespassing in NYS is a violation, punishable by at most 15 days in jail ( 10 with good time ) and /or a small monetary fine
In other words, nothing even close to justifying the use of deadly physical force

I don't care. Someone opens my front door at night it will end badly for them. Thank God I don't live in a commie state.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does VA have a castle doctrine?

No.

That's not really correct. Virginia doesn't have a statutory "castle doctrine," but what we have is actually BETTER. There is no duty to retreat ANYWHERE in the state, inside or outside your home, as long as you did not contribute to causing the altercation.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I feel like this thread is starting over again.  People that have not read all 7 pages are just vomiting out their mouth because they don't have all the facts that the OP has posted throughout said 7 pages.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't care. Someone opens my front door at night it will end badly for them. Thank God I don't live in a commie state.
View Quote

You have to care because your actions have to be legally defensible for the offense being committed,  and that applies in any state
And as I noted in my last post, it is actually Criminal Trespass, not simple trespass.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#5]
You got bluffed by the "dog prosecutor". You should have taken the attorney to Court and told that other bozo to go pound his pud.

I know....the above is easy for me to say, but you got railroaded big time.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#6]
What kind of freaking city do you live in. Register your dog. WTF?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You, should have called the cops on him while he was standing there with your shotgun on him.
View Quote

At a minimum.

The fact the cops were not called lends even more suspicion that this never even happened.

Is anyone really so naive, so out of tune with the issues at hand, that they would just let someone go in a situation as this?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Firstly, the guy would be dead if he opened my front door at 10pm at night.

Secondly, if by chance he survived to tell his "story" and the court decided my dog was dangerous and should be put down, I would hire the best damn lawyer in the world to fight it.

Thirdly, if we lost the case, they would have to send SWAT to get my dog.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

I have not heard of a city that lacks a Dog registry top be honest.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Haven't read the whole thread. But as I read the OP I had one image in my head (if they'd have put your dog down for doing its job!)...

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Or....  

Have morals, and realize the situation for what it is.

Jesus, you guys really want to murder someone don't you?

FFS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should have killed him. He said he had a gun and almost shot your dog, as soon as he said that, kill him, tell the police that he was forced out of the house by the dog and was drawing his pistol on you. Dead men don't talk.
Or....  

FFS

Killing somebody on the porch (on these facts) is beyond the pale. That said, I have to think that the death of a process server who would enter a residence at night without permission would not be a great loss to civilization.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You have to care because your actions have to be legally defensible for the offense being committed,  and that applies in any state
And as I noted in my last post, it is actually Criminal Trespass, not simple trespass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are we supposed to ask the intruder, who may well be armed...may have armed buddies outside or elsewhere in the house and knowing that scum do kill innocent people for no reason....whether he is there just to watch TV, make a sandwich, is just looking around or intends to injure or kill?

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Killing somebody on the porch (on these facts) is beyond the pale. That said, I have to think that the death of a process server who would enter a residence at night without permission would not be a great loss to civilization.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should have killed him. He said he had a gun and almost shot your dog, as soon as he said that, kill him, tell the police that he was forced out of the house by the dog and was drawing his pistol on you. Dead men don't talk.
Or....  

FFS

Agreed.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Are we supposed to ask the intruder, who may well be armed...may have armed buddies outside or elsewhere in the house and knowing that scum do kill innocent people for no reason....whether he is there just to watch TV, make a sandwich, is just looking around or intends to injure or kill?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The question of whether he's armed is answered when he says, "I almost shot your dog," and the question about his intent is answered when he tells you to go fuck yourself. Or at least, that's the conclusion I'd come to. Whether he gets shot at that point really depends on how delicately he can un-ass the area without further provocation.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never had to register a dog.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If by register you mean get a rabies tag, then yes. Otherwise I've never heard of it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You think if Obama's third cousin, a black high school exchange student from Kenya walks into the wrong house by mistake while visiting friends and gets sawed in half by some arfcommer's Mossberg in Arizona or Texas or where ever there won't be an arrest?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would hope that people 1- read their state's self defense laws, don't take the word of some guy who taught you a CCW class, or your cousin or whatever
2-keep in mind that even a justified shooting can ruin you financially and cause a huge amount of terrible stress.

https://allhiphop.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/george_zimmerman_mugshot_120410_620x350.jpg

Using Zimmerman in a house intrusion is not a good analogy.  Especially when racist black and liberal America wants to screw over all white folks.
You think if Obama's third cousin, a black high school exchange student from Kenya walks into the wrong house by mistake while visiting friends and gets sawed in half by some arfcommer's Mossberg in Arizona or Texas or where ever there won't be an arrest?  

google "Joe Horn" and "Texas", and mull that one over.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you miss the part where the guy who entered at night without permission said, "I almost shot your dog" (thus declaring that he was armed) and "Go fuck yourself?"

While I think that in good conscience I'd refrain from shooting him until he made a move toward me or a weapon, those facts don't really strike me as being "beyond the pale" if one were to have shot him.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Dead men tell no tales. You should have shot the intruder.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So why didn't you beat the fuck out of someone standing inside your home at 10pm?
View Quote

this, X10. armed intruder? seems like a potential clean shoot.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The laws might be similar,but the legal culture is different.I'm not saying he should have shot the guy,but I do believe he had the right to.Out here,no one with good intentions will enter a private residence in that fashion,because they know that there's a very good chance of being shot.ETA..the legal system has a track record of not catering to the guilty party.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Why 10 PM?

It seems to me that the state should have set limits on when and where a process server could serve papers.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Should have called the cops on him and had him arrested for trespass.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why 10 PM?

It seems to me that the state should have set limits on when and where a process server could serve papers.
View Quote

Why SWAT raids at 300 AM  or 400 AM?  The person should be home.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#25]
tl,dr the OP.
Also, didn't read any of the other posts.

Nice pic of dog and OP.
Did that guy just walk in unannounced?

TAGGED
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor’s occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment;  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm betting it wouldn't fly in Texas either.

http://www.rc123.com/texas_castle_doctrine.html

I doubt opening an unlocked front door qualifies

Doesn't matter if the door is locked or not. He had no lawful reason to enter the house.
Even if he had, there's a good chance OP wouldn't have been charged for shooting him here. People have been no-billed after shooting cops serving actual warrants at the right house.
A process server breaking into the wrong house, especially with a gun, would be a good shoot.

(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor’s occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment;  

You moving my book bag/suitcase/sneakers/rug that gets hung up on the door that was preventing you from fully opening my unlocked door is FORCED entry.  All I have to do is toss a book bag down, or other,  by the door.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The laws might be similar,but the legal culture is different.I'm not saying he should have shot the guy,but I do believe he had the right to.Out here,no one with good intentions will enter a private residence in that fashion,because they know that there's a very good chance of being shot.ETA..the legal system has a track record of not catering to the guilty party.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're talking about New York here...... They have a track record of not catering to law abiding citizens!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Would have shot the guy as soon as I had angle on him under those circumstances.  There would not have been any conversation.

Late at night, opened the door, and trying to enter the house.  I would have absolutely believed he was breaking in to rob the place and may harm me.

That is not considering what a dick the guy turned out to be after the fact, just based on any unknown adult male trying to gain unauthorized entry to the house.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Went into your house?  After dark? I would have blown that guy away.

At the very least he would have been giving my rifle a blowjob.

You should sue him.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great advice.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

My mom once wandered off in her old age while staying with my sister and walked into some house. The guys renting it were cool but I do wonder how many people here would end up in prison for shooting some old duffer with dementia if they forgot to lock their front door.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have castle doctrine? Just shoot the fucker next time. Fuck trespassers.

Shoot a process server standing on your porch?  
It makes pefect sense in the arfcom GD fantasy world.  
My mom once wandered off in her old age while staying with my sister and walked into some house. The guys renting it were cool but I do wonder how many people here would end up in prison for shooting some old duffer with dementia if they forgot to lock their front door.  

Some old lady?  Pretty safe.

A working age male after dark?  Good way to die.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#33]
To all the people that do not believe me...whatever helps you sleep at night. I wish it did not happen
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I never said that...but you have to base your use and amount of force on the force being encountered.
The easiest rule of thumb is whether or not you are responding to an amount of force that could result in loss of life or serious bodily injury
The guy at the doorway has not yet displayed any amount of force that would cause you to believe that you the homeowner are dealing with a deadly force incident that you must respond to with deadly force.
Quoted:

You don't have the right to do so if the laws don't say you can use deadly force

Quoted:

We're talking about New York here...... They have a track record of not catering to law abiding citizens!

Actually, most of our use of force laws are pretty straight-forward
Always some aspects to them I don't agree with
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Did you miss the part where the guy who entered at night without permission said, "I almost shot your dog" (thus declaring that he was armed) and "Go fuck yourself?"

While I think that in good conscience I'd refrain from shooting him until he made a move toward me or a weapon, those facts don't really strike me as being "beyond the pale" if one were to have shot him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I understand it, the BG was outside the house proper and on the porch when confronted by the homeowner. You can't shoot a stationary person who has completed a burglary/trespass and is in a place which is open to the mailman, UPS, lost strangers, et al. unless he presents a threat. When he declared himself armed, I'd have overtly covered him with the SG and shot him dead if he'd moved.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You moving my book bag/suitcase/sneakers/rug that gets hung up on the door that was preventing you from fully opening my unlocked door is FORCED entry.  All I have to do is toss a book bag down, or other,  by the door.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm betting it wouldn't fly in Texas either.

http://www.rc123.com/texas_castle_doctrine.html

I doubt opening an unlocked front door qualifies

Doesn't matter if the door is locked or not. He had no lawful reason to enter the house.
Even if he had, there's a good chance OP wouldn't have been charged for shooting him here. People have been no-billed after shooting cops serving actual warrants at the right house.
A process server breaking into the wrong house, especially with a gun, would be a good shoot.

In many jurisdictions, turning the knob or pushing the door open for an unlawful entry makes the entry forcible.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

In many jurisdictions, turning the knob or pushing the door open for an unlawful entry makes the entry forcible.
View Quote

Then I think that's an extreme interpretation. "Force" should require some degree of force beyond simply turning the knob as was intended by the designer or pushing a door open with a normal amount of force
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#39]
You should have just kept your story under your hat and just posted the dog pics. It's making blood boil including mine.

An intruder is in your house telling you to Fuc- yourself and threatens your dog? Should have had a busted face at the least.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
He couldn't have reported your dog if you had just shot him when he came into your house.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
You might want to reread both posts closely before trying to make a smartass comment as is typical in this forum.

Here is what he wrote as I was typing my comment:  "Yes, there was blood in the house which proves he was in the house and not just on the porch. This was immediately shot down by the judge because he kept saying that he was proven to be there although by mistake not illegal intent."

His comment was that the blood proved the guy was in the house.  I asked if the guy was in the house when the OP first saw him. Those are two different issues.

What the heck is "lulz?"   Using asinine words does not make you look educated.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can we get a definitive response from the OP whether the guy was INSIDE your house...meaning he passed through the front door opening...when you first saw him?
Lulz at this right below the OP's last post which answers your question.

You might want to reread both posts closely before trying to make a smartass comment as is typical in this forum.

Here is what he wrote as I was typing my comment:  "Yes, there was blood in the house which proves he was in the house and not just on the porch. This was immediately shot down by the judge because he kept saying that he was proven to be there although by mistake not illegal intent."

His comment was that the blood proved the guy was in the house.  I asked if the guy was in the house when the OP first saw him. Those are two different issues.

What the heck is "lulz?"   Using asinine words does not make you look educated.

Heh.  Your butthurt is funny.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You went to court without a lawyer???
View Quote

This. I would have called the cops and pressed charges for B and E. That would have given you a lot of protection for what happened later.

Server can claim all he wants he was there legally but he wasn't as he was not at the correct address and he didn't have any rights to enter ANY doors.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Did you tell you mom to ....PAY HER FUCKING BILLS!

FSA is FSA...family or not.
View Quote
Wow, idiot posts are idiotic, even if the poster missed being a 13er by several months.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

There are common law definitions of forcible entry as opening a partially open door, but I would be wary of thinking that still held true for new criminal statutes
View Quote
I'm more worried of "good old boy" judge/DA relationships.

I've worked more than a few cases where good, legitimate evidence was tossed over some bullshit.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Dead men tell no tales. You should have shot the intruder.
View Quote
When do the bans start for all the numbskulls advocating murder?

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I thought Virginia was a free state.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Then I think that's an extreme interpretation. "Force" should require some degree of force beyond simply turning the knob as was intended by the designer or pushing a door open with a normal amount of force
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will do in Nebraska
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
He couldn't have reported your dog if you had just shot him when he came into your house.
View Quote

That is the way it works in Texas.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm amazed by dogs.  How incredible is it that the dog, upstairs and out of sight, heard someone come in and knew for a certainty that it was opened by someone who doesn't belong there.  Amazing animals.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, for the dog to get to the asshole from inside the house, the house would have to be open.  Sounds like the chomp was inside the home, or the dude tried to retreat when he saw angry teeth, but only made it to the porch.  
That's what I thought he meant, the process server opened the front door and the dog ran out and bit him on the porch  
I'm amazed by dogs.  How incredible is it that the dog, upstairs and out of sight, heard someone come in and knew for a certainty that it was opened by someone who doesn't belong there.  Amazing animals.  

The Weimeraner does that stuff all the time. Her biggest issue is that she is like an 80 pound Houdini. She can open the gates, or dig under the fence quick as hell. She will run circles around joggers barking like an attack dog. I'm surprised she hasn't been shot yet.

That damn dog did a running face plant against the bay window in the living room. The Sheriff came by to deliver papers, only to be greeted by one hell of a thump and the bark of death. He was tripping over his feet, trying to get his retention strap undone on the holster. He damn near fell off the front porch. It was funny as hell. He was white as a ghost and shaking when he figured out what just happened. The whole event lasted about 3 seconds. Thankfully he was a great guy and very understanding. Slow on the pistol draw, too.

The Weimeraner had obedience training. I'd like to see if my neghibors could go through the same program. The fuckers on both sides have been bit because they stuck their fingers through the fence. Who the fuck sticks their fingers through a fence that is holding back a pissed off 80 dog, barking its ass off? The new implants to the neghiborhood threatened to sue for damages because we didn't have a beware of dog sign on the fence. They quit bitching as soon as the attorney word showed up. Assholes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have castle doctrine? Just shoot the fucker next time. Fuck trespassers.

Shoot a process server standing on your porch?  
It makes pefect sense in the arfcom GD fantasy world.  

I would wager few if any.

Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top