Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/27/2015 11:44:25 AM EDT
The weather is getting worse, and the roads are deteriorating in DFW.  Some schools are letting kids out early.

Be safe out there.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Any cars on fire yet?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Any pics of the >1" carnage?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#4]
This is all the wrecks just in Fort Worth right now

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-3MwH0UUAAlG7L.jpg
View Quote

That is crashtacular!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
Dooooooooom

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh wow, cool pics, I've got to go out looking now.

Thanks OP!  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Everything was ok early on this mourning but my boss and my mexican bailed before 9 a.m.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#10]
The stupid people drive even more stupid in this weather from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Huh.

26 wrecks... So far.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The weather is getting worse, and the roads are deteriorating in DFW.  Some schools are letting kids out early.

Be safe out there.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-3H8zTUYAAE1db.jpg
View Quote

That's not even snow, son
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Huh.

26 wrecks... So far.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh.

26 wrecks... So far.
Don't worry we can do better.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be safe out there.

No.  It's ice.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Heh. I was driving in 1-2" of snow/ice/slush the other day in Tyler. Not one single slip or slide. It was fun.

But face it...DFW drivers cant drive for shit.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#16]
We will rebuild.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Getting home today will be fun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We will rebuild.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Buddy is heading out from Midland to Ft Worth right now. I've been looking at the traffic cams on TXDOT's website. Half of the cameras have ice over their lenses.

I'm guessing the 5 hour drive will take him about 10 hours.

Better him than me.

About an inch of snow over ice out here. I'm staying put.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I was going to go to the range but will stay home now.

Glad I went to HEB yesterday !
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:59:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Suddenly a 75 car pile up, in white out conditions in a storm that  dumped 10+ inches of snow isn't that bad eh?

I think Dallas is going for the gold.

Edit:

Last map is 63 wrecks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, my sister lives near DFW Airport, she recently moved from PR to settle in with her BF. I bet she's regretting it now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Buddy is heading out from Midland to Ft Worth right now. I've been looking at the traffic cams on TXDOT's website. Half of the cameras have ice over their lenses.

I'm guessing the 5 hour drive will take him about 10 hours.

Better him than me.

About an inch of snow over ice out here. I'm staying put.

View Quote

Oh man I wouldn't want to be doing that right now.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#25]

No more roads. Only crash.

Flurries and cold in Waco. So far no drama. So far.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Lock it down in 4wd and take it easy if you have to be out in it.  But then I grew up in the north and stuff like that doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#27]

How the hell?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:27:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Lock it down in 4wd and take it easy if you have to be out in it.  But then I grew up in the north and stuff like that doesn't bother me.
View Quote

Why 4wd?

Going isn't the problem. Stopping is.   I rarely use 4wd in my truck, even with 10+ inches of snow on the ground at times.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Why 4wd?

Going isn't the problem. Stopping is.   I rarely use 4wd in my truck, even with 10+ inches of snow on the ground at times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why 4wd?

Yep. Stopping and turning are the tricky bits.

Good tires are the secret.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#31]
okay what did I miss, what is 'southern ice'
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Any cars on fire yet?
View Quote

you're thinking of Michigan.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, now I'm worried about the 25 miles commute that my wife and daughter have to make from south Fort Worth today.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Why 4wd?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why 4wd?

because salt/brine/sand spreading is patchy down here, and the 4WD helps the front tires stay on track thru the slushy ice on those untreatd overpasses over a divided 4 llane highway.
it also tends to slow you down when you lift off of the throttle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Well, now I'm worried about the 25 miles commute that my wife and daughter have to make from south Fort Worth today.
View Quote
Getting back might be the tricky part.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Ooops...double tap.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a joke from last years winter (mostly the snow that hit Atlanta and caused a near apocalypse).

Somebody claimed that ice in the south was worse than ice in the north. I forget who it was, but he seriously said we "Yankees" didn't understand southern ice. He wasn't kidding.

And a meme is born.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No.  It's ice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be safe out there.

No.  It's ice.

Is TX ice bigger and badder than the usual dreaded southern ice?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I was almost in one on the way to work today.

My normal 30 minute commute took me 1.5 hours.   I was driving 40 on I-20 in the left middle lane (closest to the passing lane) and some guy in a 4x4 pickup blows by me doing 70ish.  He hits a bit of ice on the bridge and spins out and crashes into the left guardrail and stops.  Instead of just sitting there, he puts it in reverse and tries to back up but punches the gas, so he spins out again and back into the right guardrail, where he is promply hit by 2 semi's in the right 2 lanes.  

I lucked out and was going slow enough to avoid his ass-hattery
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My normal 30 minute commute took me 1.5 hours.   I was driving 40 on I-20 in the left middle lane (closest to the passing lane) and some guy in a 4x4 pickup blows by me doing 70ish.  He hits a bit of ice on the bridge and spins out and crashes into the left guardrail and stops.  Instead of just sitting there, he puts it in reverse and tries to back up but punches the gas, so he spins out again and back into the right guardrail, where he is promply hit by 2 semi's in the right 2 lanes.  

View Quote

This fascinates me.

Maybe it's because I'm used to driving a car where you can actually feel what the tires are doing under you,  but what in God's name would possess somebody to drive that fast on an untreated road? His truck should have been shouting warnings at him, though the steering wheel.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#41]
yeah fuck that, I changed my flight and left Dallas late last night so I wouldn't get stuck there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why 4wd?

Yep. I try and replace my tires in October if needed.  (I Typically get 30k-35k miles ~Ish out of a set of Duratracs on my F250.)  A good tire = no need for 4wd majority of the time.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yep. I try and replace my tires in October if needed.  (I Typically get 30k-35k miles ~Ish out of a set of Duratracs on my F250.)  A good tire = no need for 4wd majority of the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why 4wd?

I put dedicated snows on in October (General Altimax Arctics at the moment), and take them off in late March or early April, depending. I keep them on cheap Craigslist steel wheels.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Your welcome for the cold weather, enjoy but be safe ice is a non discriminate bitch.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Somebody claimed that ice in the south was worse than ice in the north.

View Quote

Oh boy.  Arfcom delivers.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

And a lot of us run around on summer tires year-round down here.  These are the days you should just stay home, or hitch a ride.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

This fascinates me.

Maybe it's because I'm used to driving a car where you can actually feel what the tires are doing under you,  but what in God's name would possess somebody to drive that fast on an untreated road? His truck should have been shouting warnings at him, though the steering wheel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This fascinates me.

I don't know what he was thinking.   Maybe he thought 4x4 means you can't spin out?    I saw a ton of wrecks on the way in.   The majority were single car accidents and every one of them was a huge truck or suv.   I think people have taken those "like a rock" commercials to heart and think their truck somehow ignores the laws of physics.

I can tell through the steering wheel when I'm going too fast on a slick surface.   Its why I was going 40 in that spot.   Snow in the south really points out how bad some drivers are.  I haven't driven a truck regularly for a decade, but I seem to recall the same 'feel' through the steering wheel, so I'm assuming he had the same warning signs everyone he blew by did.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why 4wd?

people here drive 20 under in the snow, but still stack up bumper to bumper, and want to make sharp turns at normal speed because that's already "slow" compared to the speed limit.

basically, people are morons.

ETA: I realize that some may be confused about where "here" is. I am "in djibouti" a small suburb of DFW
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And a lot of us run around on summer tires year-round down here.  These are the days you should just stay home, or hitch a ride.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

If I lived there, I'd be running summer performance tires (on my car anyway) all year. On days like this, it would stay in the garage. It's pretty much impossible to drive in this stuff on summer rubber, and I don't care how good a driver you are.

Really good all seasons (car) or all terrains (truck) will work in a pinch, if you slow way the fuck down.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Southern Ice™ is slippery, as opposed to the velcro-like Northern Ice
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top