BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could have her handcuffed and crying about my use of excessive force and telling me she will get me fired in less than 20 seconds.
View Quote

That's what one of the cops I trained thought.

He was a big feller at about 250. Strong, too. I was 6' 175#. I could see in his face that he wasn't buying a technique I was teaching. I always wanted my students to feel they got their money's worth so I asked about his concerns.

"Well, that may work on someone your own size but I don't think it'll work on a guy like me".

"Ok. Come over to the crash pad and you grab me hard as you can and try your dead level best to slam me". (I couldn't have got that big SOB over if he didn't help, er, uh I mean really put effort into it".

He went over with a thud and lost some wind even on the crash pad. I had a loyal, attentive student from then till the end of the course.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Big difference between a guy looking like he's paying attention and a guy really paying attention. A little bit of pain sharpens me right up.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's not that I'm ignorant of the skill and conditioning of a large amount of people here. It's that I'm not ignorant of what it takes to compete at that level which leads me to my next point.

The bully beat down clips were in no way meant to convey that she had the ability of those professional men. It was meant to (and explicitly stated by me) show the massive advantage that level of training and skill gives.

I have no doubt (and have stated so) that there is a point on the graph of size/strength vs skill conditioning where one overcomes the other. There's no doubt that some here are on the other side of that point. At one time I would have been. Now, due to conditioning, I wouldn't be as sure.

I think there are some here who have no first hand appreciation of what good technique, practice and conditioning can overcome.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[I think the Rousey supporters are either blatantly ignorant about the skill and conditioning of a large amount of people, or they are too heavily invested in the Secret Techniques of the Ancients that dispel physics and biology.

And the response to the size weight advantage has been videos of professional male fighters fighting untrained bros.  Not exactly a valid comparison.
I think this is a bit of backpedaling going on here, friend.  The initial claim was not made as you just stated it, and now you're trying to paint everyone who disputes it as some kind of misogynist.  

Watch the Cyborg - Ortiz clip and show me the high-level technique he uses.  The single leg?  The shuck?  The duckunder?  She can't even crossface him off her, and this is considered a top-level contender.  

I'm not knocking these women - I have great respect for their ability and skill.  I just think the hype is approaching the Bruce Lee vs Mike Tyson levels of ridiculousness.

It's not that I'm ignorant of the skill and conditioning of a large amount of people here. It's that I'm not ignorant of what it takes to compete at that level which leads me to my next point.

The bully beat down clips were in no way meant to convey that she had the ability of those professional men. It was meant to (and explicitly stated by me) show the massive advantage that level of training and skill gives.

I have no doubt (and have stated so) that there is a point on the graph of size/strength vs skill conditioning where one overcomes the other. There's no doubt that some here are on the other side of that point. At one time I would have been. Now, due to conditioning, I wouldn't be as sure.

I think there are some here who have no first hand appreciation of what good technique, practice and conditioning can overcome.

Agreed. Except there was never a point in my life where I would have been on the winning side of that scale. That lifetime of practice on her part raises the bar above and beyond anything I have done.  Give me a couple of years of full time training and I might make it a bit closer but she gets better every showing. Who knows what kind of monster she will be in 2 years if she keeps fighting. I think she is going to make the jump to Hollywood though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I didn't say she could beat anybody. I will reiterate what I said earlier. She would destroy 99% of the people here 99% of the time. That might be a minor exaggeration but what difference does that make? She is still a bad bitch that would beat the fuck out of just about everyone here.

Good for you. You might do better than 1% of the time.  

Again background is largely irrelevant. If you aren't training right now you are losing your skill as you age. It doesn't matter if you wrestled in college 10 years ago or if you used to box. She has been training and competing for the last 20 years. Past experience just means you will know the name of the blow/throw/submission that beat you when it is all said and done.

Almost no one here trains BJJ or grappling of any kind. And really she isn't a BJJ fighter so I don't know why you keep harping on BJJ. It isn't her BJJ that will beat people. It is her skill. She is a skilled fighter. She can strike, wrestle, throw, submit, defend, avoid, and last for a full 25 minute fight. There is a reason so many people are getting popped for performance enhancing drugs right now in the sport. It takes a freak to be able to do that and win. She is doing it better than anyone else in the world right now which isn't exactly a small pool and nobodies behind a keyboard think they can handle her because they have a weight advantage or because they wrestled in college or because they can pick heavy things up and put them down 8 or 10 times. Great. You have A to beat her. She has A, B, C, D, E, and F to beat you and she practices all of it full time. Good luck. People in general overestimate their abilities when they don't actually put those abilities to the test. She does it 3 or 4 times a year against the best in the world and comes out on top.

Yes, men in general have a physical advantage over women. Skill can over come a lot of size and strength though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some of you guys are pants-on-the-head delusional if you think there aren't HUNDREDS of members on here who could pound these girls into the dust.  
I don't know if it's just buying into the UFC Rousey hype, or believe too much in the brazilian juju magic, or just think the average arfcommer is a 300lb sack of suet, but come on.
Could Rousey tap out the average untrained man?  Certainly.   Could she defeat a guy with thirty or forty pounds on her who wrestled competitively in college and is in decent shape?  Don't think so.

Here, watch these videos again.

Rousey vs Gegard Mousasi

Cyborg "slams" Tito Ortiz

And yes, I know.  "But those are PROFESSIONAL male fighters!"    
Seriously, watch those videos.  Those guys aren't using anything more than high-school level wrestling stuff.  They're going about 50-60%, and simply out-muscling those girls.  Both Cyborg and Rousey are unable to inflict their will either way - the size and strength difference is just too great.   They're getting manhandled just with casual grappling.  How well would they handle it if those guys mixed in a bunch of uppercuts in the clinch, or heavy elbows on the ground?  How much of that do you think they could take?

It's like people forget that even though Rousey is the best in the world, she's still the best in the world at beating the shit out of 135lb women.   What do think the depth of field is of serious female MMA fighters?  Dozens?  Hundreds?  She's already fighting the same opponents over again. Do you think the field is deeper or harder than becoming high-school state wrestling champ in, say, Pennsylvania?  Do you think the women's Olympic wrestling gold medalist could beat that high-school state champ in her same weight class?  

There are tons of American wrestlers who learn a little stand-up, and just enough jujitsu to avoid the basic submissions, who go on to do great in the UFC.   I'm sure there are plenty of dudes on here with a good wrestling background.   What's Rousey going to do, out wrestle those guys?  Doubt it.  Trade shots with a man who has fifty pounds and a six inch reach on her?  Nope.  The only chance I could see would be hoping that her opponent would be so base ignorant of submissions that he would walk right into an armbar or leglock that he couldn't muscle out of- and then hope he didn't have enough gas left to pick her up and slam her back down, a la Rampage Jackson.  Hey, it worked for Royce Gracie - back when no one understood what the fuck he was doing.  Once everybody learned how NOT to get armbarred and triangled, he wisely called it quits.

Most of us just realize that there is a difference between "i used to wrestle" and "I wrestle, kickbox, grapple, and do strength and conditioning 5-6 times per week."

"Fighting the same opponents over again?" She has had exactly 1 rematch in her career.

"so base ignorant of submissions that he would walk right into an armbar or leglock that he couldn't muscle out of- and then hope he didn't have enough gas left to pick her up and slam her back down." You just described 99% of men. Watching Gracie armbar people didn't teach you how to not get armbarred.

In other words, Rousey can beat anybody, except those who she can't, and we're not talking about them.

I used to wrestle, I used to be a Golden Gloves state champion, I'm in decent shape, and I have sixty pounds of muscle on her after she rehydrates.  I've rolled around with submissions guys enough to recognize the setups. You don't think there are plenty of guys on a forum with active military members who are in great shape and have a combatives background?

11 fights and one rematch.  That doesn't disprove my point that she is the big fish in a very small and shallow pond.   Everything she has done has been against other 135lb females.  I have seen nothing that convinces me that she would be competitive against a large male opponent with a basic familiarity with fighting.  Quite the contrary, in fact.

Jujitsu is not magic.  It takes much less skill to recognize and avoid a submission than it does to apply one.  She would get outmuscled in the clinch.  She would get outmuscled in the scramble.  She'd be at a significant strength and reach disadvantage.  She couldn't take damage the way a male fighter could.  She'd gas out much quicker dealing with the weight alone in guard.

You guys are living in dreamland.

eta: Gracie won fights because he brought something new and unfamiliar to a virgin field of competitors.  Once everybody became familiar with it,  the UFC wasn't dominated by guys trying to imitate Gracie - for a long time it was dominated by wrestlers who controlled the fight, avoided submissions, and beat the shit out of guys in the clinch and on the ground.   They didn't copy his technique, they just negated it.

I didn't say she could beat anybody. I will reiterate what I said earlier. She would destroy 99% of the people here 99% of the time. That might be a minor exaggeration but what difference does that make? She is still a bad bitch that would beat the fuck out of just about everyone here.

Again background is largely irrelevant. If you aren't training right now you are losing your skill as you age. It doesn't matter if you wrestled in college 10 years ago or if you used to box. She has been training and competing for the last 20 years. Past experience just means you will know the name of the blow/throw/submission that beat you when it is all said and done.

Almost no one here trains BJJ or grappling of any kind. And really she isn't a BJJ fighter so I don't know why you keep harping on BJJ. It isn't her BJJ that will beat people. It is her skill. She is a skilled fighter. She can strike, wrestle, throw, submit, defend, avoid, and last for a full 25 minute fight. There is a reason so many people are getting popped for performance enhancing drugs right now in the sport. It takes a freak to be able to do that and win. She is doing it better than anyone else in the world right now which isn't exactly a small pool and nobodies behind a keyboard think they can handle her because they have a weight advantage or because they wrestled in college or because they can pick heavy things up and put them down 8 or 10 times. Great. You have A to beat her. She has A, B, C, D, E, and F to beat you and she practices all of it full time. Good luck. People in general overestimate their abilities when they don't actually put those abilities to the test. She does it 3 or 4 times a year against the best in the world and comes out on top.

Yes, men in general have a physical advantage over women. Skill can over come a lot of size and strength though.

she is a phenomenal Olympic Class Athlete. make no mistake and take no offense.
but she is a 150-160lb woman.

fact.

I find it comical that ArfCom wails about the failures of women in Infantry to attain man strength, but yet believes that she can woop 99% of the men here one on one.
I'm just a farm boy. a few years of Tae Kwon Do... 5'10, and even as a Senior in High School at 180 would send her packing.

Apples V Oranges
Man V Woman

skill or no skill.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There is a reason there is a running joke of everyone here thinking they are 6'6" 250 pound behemoths who make $10M/year banging supermodels. They don't realize that the average male is 5'9" with a fit bodyweight of about 150 pounds. It is like we have a bunch of closet NFL players here.

I think Joe Rogan got it right when he said Ronda could probably beat about 50% of the current UFC bantamweight men. As he said there are just physical differences between men and women that affect everything from strength to the ability to take a punch. But that is still an estimated 50% of professional men that weigh the same as her. Her skill beats half of them. The other half at least come close to matching her in skill and the physical difference takes over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would hope so. If she fought a tiger the tiger would probably win too.

And apparently there are a lot of UFC level heavyweight fighters on Arfcom that take her. Who knew? I wonder why the heavyweight division has been so shallow for so long when there are these massive thoroughbreds everywhere.

Reading the newer posts this morning and I think there may be an interesting phenomenon happening in threads like this.

Guys like you or me will mention that someone like Rousey would likely win over an untrained, average man in the 180# range. I believe that is pretty much true.

Then some will show us videos of her going against a 200# highly trained man or mention a 260# man who benches 350 pounds and wrestled in HS or college in an attempt to dispel the possibility of a woman being able to win in a fight against a man.

It's like they're on a team and so long as one guy on their team can whip the female challenger, then things are fine.

That mentality may or may not be the case but it sure comes off like that when such outrageous male challengers are suggested, when the only real commonality they have with the original suggestion is genitalia.

There is a reason there is a running joke of everyone here thinking they are 6'6" 250 pound behemoths who make $10M/year banging supermodels. They don't realize that the average male is 5'9" with a fit bodyweight of about 150 pounds. It is like we have a bunch of closet NFL players here.

I think Joe Rogan got it right when he said Ronda could probably beat about 50% of the current UFC bantamweight men. As he said there are just physical differences between men and women that affect everything from strength to the ability to take a punch. But that is still an estimated 50% of professional men that weigh the same as her. Her skill beats half of them. The other half at least come close to matching her in skill and the physical difference takes over.

If Rogan said that, Rogan's an idiot. Rousey would not beat a single trained male fighter unless they were maybe something like 70 pounds.

Women and men of equal size do NOT (I repeat, DO NOT) have equal size and strength. A 5'7" 135# pound man will be significantly stronger and faster. This is illustrated in every athletic pursuit known to humanity in which both men and women compete. A bantamweight will be at least as strong and fast as Rousey even though she outweighs them, and they will have no skill gap.

Rousey's skill comes against women, and there is simply no depth to the field. I don't care whether it goes back to judo or wrestling - there is simply very little competition. Relatively speaking, she is the best, but the sample size is small and the trials are next to meaningless.

Some here can talk about "the average man" being a rolling ball of flab who gets winded walking up a flight of stairs. Why then don't they consider "the average woman," somebody not far from who Rousey demonstrates her skill against, crying after bumping into a cabinet?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm fine with that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If Rogan said that, Rogan's an idiot. Rousey would not beat a single trained male fighter unless they were maybe something like 70 pounds.

Women and men of equal size do NOT (I repeat, DO NOT) have equal size and strength. A 5'7" 135# pound man will be significantly stronger and faster. This is illustrated in every athletic pursuit known to humanity in which both men and women compete. A bantamweight will be at least as strong and fast as Rousey even though she outweighs them, and they will have no skill gap.

Rousey's skill comes against women, and there is simply no depth to the field. I don't care whether it goes back to judo or wrestling - there is simply very little competition. Relatively speaking, she is the best, but the sample size is small and the trials are next to meaningless.

Some here can talk about "the average man" being a rolling ball of flab who gets winded walking up a flight of stairs. Why then don't they consider "the average woman," somebody not far from who Rousey demonstrates her skill against, crying after bumping into a cabinet?
View Quote

You have to think about MMA as more like golf than track and field.  There is a huge skill curve that you have to master before size and strength give the male the advantage.  Most arfcom males are not going to beat a female PGA pro.  A female PGA pro is not likely to beat a male PGA pro.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

fact.

I find it comical that ArfCom wails about the failures of women in Infantry to attain man strength, but yet believes that she can woop 99% of the men here one on one.
I'm just a farm boy. a few years of Tae Kwon Do... 5'10, and even as a Senior in High School at 180 would send her packing.

Apples V Oranges
Man V Woman

skill or no skill.
View Quote

Have you ever fought submission type fighting with someone who was very good?

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You have to think about MMA as more like golf than track and field.  There is a huge skill curve that you have to master before size and strength give the male the advantage.  Most arfcom males are not going to beat a female PGA pro.  A female PGA pro is not likely to beat a male PGA pro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The further you get away from physical prowess, the more equal men and women become. Golf and bowling are two good examples.

I do not consider MMA to be anywhere near golf or bowling in terms of skill vs. prowess, however.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The further you get away from physical prowess, the more equal men and women become. Golf and bowling are two good examples.

I do not consider MMA to be anywhere near golf or bowling in terms of skill vs. prowess, however.
View Quote
With Ju Jitsu it is.  I don't see why people have such a problem with this concept.  There are little old Japanese men who would break you in 3 seconds.  It shouldn't be surprising that a handful of females are capable of the same feat.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
With Ju Jitsu it is.  I don't see why people have such a problem with this concept.  There are little old Japanese men who would break you in 3 seconds.  It shouldn't be surprising that a handful of females are capable of the same feat.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the movies? Sure. In real life? No. Or at least it's never happened. Little old Japanese men don't compete in sanctioned tournaments, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

fact.

Apples V Oranges
Man V Woman

skill or no skill.
View Quote

Her game has nothing to do with speed and not much strength either, it's technique and leverage. If you know how to overcome her technique and leverage, then yes, you have a good chance of winning, if you don't you will literally look like a fish out of water. Also, I don't think she could beat 99% of men, but I would bet everything I own that should could indeed beat 40-50% of the male population between 18 & 40. Tae Kwon Do as a background would probably help you no more than wearing blue or red shorts.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

fact.

Apples V Oranges
Man V Woman

skill or no skill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some of you guys are pants-on-the-head delusional if you think there aren't HUNDREDS of members on here who could pound these girls into the dust.  
I don't know if it's just buying into the UFC Rousey hype, or believe too much in the brazilian juju magic, or just think the average arfcommer is a 300lb sack of suet, but come on.
Could Rousey tap out the average untrained man?  Certainly.   Could she defeat a guy with thirty or forty pounds on her who wrestled competitively in college and is in decent shape?  Don't think so.

Rousey vs Gegard Mousasi

Seriously, watch those videos.  Those guys aren't using anything more than high-school level wrestling stuff.  They're going about 50-60%, and simply out-muscling those girls.  Both Cyborg and Rousey are unable to inflict their will either way - the size and strength difference is just too great.   They're getting manhandled just with casual grappling.  How well would they handle it if those guys mixed in a bunch of uppercuts in the clinch, or heavy elbows on the ground?  How much of that do you think they could take?

It's like people forget that even though Rousey is the best in the world, she's still the best in the world at beating the shit out of 135lb women.   What do think the depth of field is of serious female MMA fighters?  Dozens?  Hundreds?  She's already fighting the same opponents over again. Do you think the field is deeper or harder than becoming high-school state wrestling champ in, say, Pennsylvania?  Do you think the women's Olympic wrestling gold medalist could beat that high-school state champ in her same weight class?  

There are tons of American wrestlers who learn a little stand-up, and just enough jujitsu to avoid the basic submissions, who go on to do great in the UFC.   I'm sure there are plenty of dudes on here with a good wrestling background.   What's Rousey going to do, out wrestle those guys?  Doubt it.  Trade shots with a man who has fifty pounds and a six inch reach on her?  Nope.  The only chance I could see would be hoping that her opponent would be so base ignorant of submissions that he would walk right into an armbar or leglock that he couldn't muscle out of- and then hope he didn't have enough gas left to pick her up and slam her back down, a la Rampage Jackson.  Hey, it worked for Royce Gracie - back when no one understood what the fuck he was doing.  Once everybody learned how NOT to get armbarred and triangled, he wisely called it quits.

Most of us just realize that there is a difference between "i used to wrestle" and "I wrestle, kickbox, grapple, and do strength and conditioning 5-6 times per week."

"Fighting the same opponents over again?" She has had exactly 1 rematch in her career.

"so base ignorant of submissions that he would walk right into an armbar or leglock that he couldn't muscle out of- and then hope he didn't have enough gas left to pick her up and slam her back down." You just described 99% of men. Watching Gracie armbar people didn't teach you how to not get armbarred.

In other words, Rousey can beat anybody, except those who she can't, and we're not talking about them.

I used to wrestle, I used to be a Golden Gloves state champion, I'm in decent shape, and I have sixty pounds of muscle on her after she rehydrates.  I've rolled around with submissions guys enough to recognize the setups. You don't think there are plenty of guys on a forum with active military members who are in great shape and have a combatives background?

11 fights and one rematch.  That doesn't disprove my point that she is the big fish in a very small and shallow pond.   Everything she has done has been against other 135lb females.  I have seen nothing that convinces me that she would be competitive against a large male opponent with a basic familiarity with fighting.  Quite the contrary, in fact.

Jujitsu is not magic.  It takes much less skill to recognize and avoid a submission than it does to apply one.  She would get outmuscled in the clinch.  She would get outmuscled in the scramble.  She'd be at a significant strength and reach disadvantage.  She couldn't take damage the way a male fighter could.  She'd gas out much quicker dealing with the weight alone in guard.

eta: Gracie won fights because he brought something new and unfamiliar to a virgin field of competitors.  Once everybody became familiar with it,  the UFC wasn't dominated by guys trying to imitate Gracie - for a long time it was dominated by wrestlers who controlled the fight, avoided submissions, and beat the shit out of guys in the clinch and on the ground.   They didn't copy his technique, they just negated it.

fact.

Apples V Oranges
Man V Woman

skill or no skill.

Stop trying to reason with people peddling an emotional communist agenda.  Women are strong, men are weak comrade.

For those making fun of the fat guys......I played Rugby with a lot of guys the 6 pack crowd would refer to as "fat slobs", a couple of them were incredibly fast and insanely strong.  They could throw the 150-180 pound (in shape) guys around like they were 5 year olds.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Stop trying to reason with people peddling an emotional communist agenda.  Women are strong, men are weak comrade.

For those making fun of the fat guys......I played Rugby with a lot of guys the 6 pack crowd would refer to as "fat slobs", a couple of them were incredibly fast and insanely strong.  They could throw the 150-180 pound (in shape) guys around like they were 5 year olds.
View Quote

Did you watch the video link I posted on page 4 or so? Her grappling with a top 15 UFC fighter at 185#. She submits him twice, in another video she gets Gilbert Melendez in trouble while grappling. I know it's not an actual fight, but some of you guys think that all guys throw straight punches, high kicks and wear a black belt to bed.

The average 160# guy that has been in one fight, maybe two in his entire life, has no cardio to speak of, gets absolutely smashed
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Communist agenda?

Have you ever grappled with someone who is very good at submission fighting?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Communist agenda?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Communist agenda?

I have. Frank Shamrock.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Did you watch the video link I posted on page 4 or so? Her grappling with a top 15 UFC fighter at 185#. She submits him twice, in another video she gets Gilbert Melendez in trouble while grappling. I know it's not an actual fight, but some of you guys think that all guys throw straight punches, high kicks and wear a black belt to bed.

The average 160# guy that has been in one fight, maybe two in his entire life, has no cardio to speak of, gets absolutely smashed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and this is why it's meaningless. Nobody of sound mind could watch that and think she submitted Uriah Hall. She didn't.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

...and this is why it's meaningless. Nobody of sound mind could watch that and think she submitted Uriah Hall. She didn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I thought he tapped?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

fact.

Apples V Oranges
Man V Woman

skill or no skill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rousey vs Gegard Mousasi

fact.

Apples V Oranges
Man V Woman

skill or no skill.

I don't know anything about women in infantry and I have never commented on it so don't attach that to me.

150-160 is bigger than the average fit man of her height. It is more like the average fit man of your height. This isn't a woman that decided to join the marines trying to make it through bootcamp. This is a woman bread from an Olympian to be an Olympian who has trained most of her life to kick ass. If I had to bet I would wager she would do just fine in infantry.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have. Frank Shamrock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Communist agenda?

I have. Frank Shamrock.

That makes sense. Lion's Den always has placed strength over technique.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Buncha leg humpers up in here.

Rousey wouldnt last 5 seconds with a 6'2" 260lb. dude that knew what he was doing.

One punch, game OVA.

Sorry man. Newton wins, every time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If she could get a big guy in a ln arm bar? Maybe.

In that last fight, a guy who's 6'0-6'2 would of never been pinned like that. The other chick was on her knees before being arm barred. It'd be easy to just stand up with 135lbs on you from your knees and I don't even work out all the time. Once she's up in the air, no leverage. No pin. Let alone simple reach disadvantage.

In a ring fight could she have a chance? Yeah. In a real fight someone who has 100+ lbs on her and is in shape wouldn't give her the chance.  Her only advantage would be tiring the larger person out until she could get them exactly where she wants them, then do damage. But one wrong slip up and its game over. Fair fights are never fair. In this case, her hair would be her biggest disadvantage. Where the head goes, the body goes.

So you think "a real fight" with real people involve 255 pound in shape guys? So what you are saying is that it would take a UFC heavyweight to take her on.

Lets see it. Load a barbell to 155, because she doesn't weigh 135, on the floor and record yourself getting on your hands and knees under it and how easy you would just stand up with her from that position. And then show us how easily you would defend your neck with her up in the air because she is just going to strangle you to sleep while you try it. And just for fun show us what you would do with her now that you have wasted all of that energy. Oh and she rode the back for all of 5 seconds so make it quick.

Buncha leg humpers up in here.

Rousey wouldnt last 5 seconds with a 6'2" 260lb. dude that knew what he was doing.

One punch, game OVA.

Sorry man. Newton wins, every time.

I don't know that many 6'2" 260lb guys.....
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Communist agenda?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Communist agenda?

He has obviously has never competed, nor has he trained a day in his life.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

She's 135. You've seen too many movies, because in the real world, in a fight, size matters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FYI, this is what happens when a street tough goes up against even a mediocre professional fighter. No one outside of the male professional fighters is beating Ronda these days.

http://youtu.be/tl6ilMpq8hQ

She's 135. You've seen too many movies, because in the real world, in a fight, size matters.

This ^^^^^^ Also, there isn't really anything attractive about a broad who looks like a man, and fights like a man hitting someone like a man. Some of her offseason pics are ok, but all of her sex appeal is lost as soon as she steps into a ring, IMHO of course.

I think the vast strength difference is being lost on some of you guys. Its not only weight, but strength. That being said Id love to see it. An amateurish MMA fighter or even just someone who has a little experience versus her. Id take the guy every time.

Its the same argument with any girls sport. Id generally take an above average high school boys team over a pro girls team.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Communist agenda?

I'm just havin' fun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This ^^^^^^ Also, there isn't really anything attractive about a broad who looks like a man, and fights like a man hitting someone like a man. Some of her offseason pics are ok, but all of her sex appeal is lost as soon as she steps into a ring, IMHO of course.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FYI, this is what happens when a street tough goes up against even a mediocre professional fighter. No one outside of the male professional fighters is beating Ronda these days.

I like ones that can toss you around some. Makes it funner if they can resist a little...until they bread out the pepper spray. I hate that shit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Are we talking a fair fight? Or no rules?

Because even if she got me in an armbar, lets see her hold it when I rip a chunk of calf pff her with my teeth and begin to beat her down while she is trying to recover from that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

fact.

Apples V Oranges
Man V Woman

skill or no skill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rousey vs Gegard Mousasi

fact.

Apples V Oranges
Man V Woman

skill or no skill.

I have a problem with Females in USMC infantry because I don't want 100 classes to fail before they find that one Rousey.... Failing an A school almost always means you are one enlistment and done in the USMC.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Because even if she got me in an armbar, lets see her hold it when I rip a chunk of calf pff her with my teeth and begin to beat her down while she is trying to recover from that.
View Quote

lol, you do that while the pain and sound of your arm breaks in 1-2 places. Then, since you're such a badass, she will probably choke you until you no longer have a pulse. Hopefully Wal-Mart will have a band-aid for her recovery.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I like ones that can toss you around some. Makes it funner if they can resist a little...until they bread out the pepper spray. I hate that shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is lots of land whales that can toss you around some.....If thats your thing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

A valid point.

Notice how she was nice and slowly eased into the pressure on the elbow. In a real fight the elbow is immediately popped and then the foot across your face is used to stomp the side of your face/neck while they're jerking around on your dislocated elbow just to keep your attention.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would hope so. If she fought a tiger the tiger would probably win too.

And apparently there are a lot of UFC level heavyweight fighters on Arfcom that take her. Who knew? I wonder why the heavyweight division has been so shallow for so long when there are these massive thoroughbreds everywhere.

Reading the newer posts this morning and I think there may be an interesting phenomenon happening in threads like this.

Guys like you or me will mention that someone like Rousey would likely win over an untrained, average man in the 180# range. I believe that is pretty much true.

Then some will show us videos of her going against a 200# highly trained man or mention a 260# man who benches 350 pounds and wrestled in HS or college in an attempt to dispel the possibility of a woman being able to win in a fight against a man.

It's like they're on a team and so long as one guy on their team can whip the female challenger, then things are fine.

That mentality may or may not be the case but it sure comes off like that when such outrageous male challengers are suggested, when the only real commonality they have with the original suggestion is genitalia.

I disagree with you for the most part.

I agree that the depth of the field with women is very different and lacking compared to the professional men though and that she couldn't match any of those men in strength.

Not sure why you think average means flabby. I specifically stated "the average male is 5'9" with a fit bodyweight of about 150 pounds." No flab involved. Fatties are abnormal just like 6'6" 250 pound NFL players.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

lol, you do that while the pain and sound of your arm breaks in 1-2 places. Then, since you're such a badass, she will probably choke you until you no longer have a pulse. Hopefully Wal-Mart will have a band-aid for her recovery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my experience, the arm doesn't break. The elbow pops out of socket, with that lock.

Makes an interesting sensation when it's against your cup when it does.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

In my experience, the arm doesn't break. The elbow pops out of socket, with that lock.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I was speaking of the one she had on Zingano, which could have been a shoulder lock and an armbar, but yes, I consider the elbow dislocating a break because of all the damage it creates... and it's loud
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

He was a big feller at about 250. Strong, too. I was 6' 175#. I could see in his face that he wasn't buying a technique I was teaching. I always wanted my students to feel they got their money's worth so I asked about his concerns.

"Well, that may work on someone your own size but I don't think it'll work on a guy like me".

"Ok. Come over to the crash pad and you grab me hard as you can and try your dead level best to slam me". (I couldn't have got that big SOB over if he didn't help, er, uh I mean really put effort into it".

He went over with a thud and lost some wind even on the crash pad. I had a loyal, attentive student from then till the end of the course.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I could have her handcuffed and crying about my use of excessive force and telling me she will get me fired in less than 20 seconds.

Well she's not your size and I'm not that cop. Just sayin.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well, I was speaking of the one she had on Zingano, which could have been a shoulder lock and an armbar, but yes, I consider the elbow dislocating a break because of all the damage it creates... and it's loud
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She was putting pressure on the shoulder, too, but could have put a lot more. She really was being very sporting about it. That was an extremely strong lock and she had lots of room to go because the wrist was already behind her shoulder. She could have very easily dislocated both joints.

Yes. Elbows are loud.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know anything about golf but I don't think I would go that far.It is probably more accurate of a comparison than the track and field though. That is all physical and women can never measure up. MMA is likely somewhere in between.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't know anything about women in infantry and I have never commented on it so don't attach that to me.

150-160 is bigger than the average fit man of her height. It is more like the average fit man of your height. This isn't a woman that decided to join the marines trying to make it through bootcamp. This is a woman bread from an Olympian to be an Olympian who has trained most of her life to kick ass. If I had to bet I would wager she would do just fine in infantry.
View Quote

You are nuts. I'd like to see a picture of your ideal "fit". 150-160 is the average weight of a long distance runner at 5'10". I am 5'10", just south of 190. I lift 5 days a week and run 3 days a week.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In straight jiu jitsu sure. MMA isn't straight jiu jitsu though. As a lot of fighters have said "you can have a great game plan that works right up until that moment when you start getting hit in the face." MMA fighters are now too good to only be good at 1 thing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is like the 4th time you've said it is communist for a woman to be better than a man. Do you even know what communism is or is it just "that Obama stuff" to you? If anything you are being emotional by trying to bring politics into a nonpolitical discussion. But you knew that right? You are just trolling?

Being fat doesn't mean you aren't strong or even in good condition. Roy Nelson is a fatass in the heavyweight division that still manages to be very competitive. It does mean you are carrying pointless mass. He would do better as a light heavyweight.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not? Urijah isn't an accomplished grappler. Of course if it were a fight and not a grappling contest Hall would probably kill her.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
Judging by the number of disqualifications from foot stomps I've seen over the years, they know all the illegal moves, likely much better than you do.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Communist agenda?

I have. Frank Shamrock.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Communist agenda?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Communist agenda?

There is certain type of man this sport in America attracts......of which I was not one.

Basically a lot of guys with martial arts, wrestling, football, baseball, weight lighting back grounds, with one thing in common, a bad attitude.

The shit that went on off the field was insane, I will not expand on it.

Feel free to put me down with the rest of the GD fat-slob crowd, never trained, never fought, never "grappled" with an experienced fighter.  

Look I am not disagreeing with the fact that well trained small guys can't beat the shit out of bigger stronger guys, seen it happen many times.  There is a certain look in the eye of a small percentage of guys.  Simply put, women just don't have it.  Big or small, the man with that look comes out on top.

Sometimes certain people are good at things with very little effort.  You can't train in, what God didn't give you.

It's a little like any sport that involves eye hand co-ordination.  You know who stands a chance at going pro when they are 5.  You either got it or you don't got it.  

I don't got it, but I saw guys that just had it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I think ArfCom needs to settle this, by having Rousey come over and beat up half a dozen posters in GD

I would pay to see a couple of experienced street cops try to arrest her at a bar for disorderly.  With any luck at all, it would be an awesome battle:
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I think ArfCom needs to settle this, by having Rousey come over and beat up half a dozen posters in GD

I would pay to see a couple of experienced street cops try to arrest her at a bar for disorderly.  With any luck at all, it would be an awesome battle:
View Quote

Easy.

Officer A unbuckles his equipment belt and removes his jacket as he loudly challenges her to a fair fight.

Officer B sneaks up behind her and hits her with a chair.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm 6'2" and 300 pounds. She could take me apart in 10 seconds I bet.

I don't know why so many people have such huge egos that they couldn't even concede that a professional FEMALE fighter could beat them. It's embarrassing. Then again, I should have figured as much since most guys in GD are hard-core fighting machines and nothing short of Chuck Norris would bring them down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are people going to keep shelling out money for a PPV event if Ms, Rousey keeps taking opponents apart in less than 30 seconds? Good question to ponder.

The replay, just as with the last fight, shows why people are talking absolute nonsense. Making one mistake...even for a fraction of a second...is enough to get your arm broke. You don't appreciate what that is until you've actually faced it.

Ms. Rousey post-fight: "I'd never done a takedown like that before. I just made it up on the spot."

Fighting is a lot like free-form jazz...improvisation. Somebody who has done enough of it that they can come up with shit they've never done before based on position and circumstances right now and then execute it while you're still trying to figure out why your last blow missed is going to be a problem for you no matter how big and strong you believe you are.

I'm 6'2" and 300 pounds. She could take me apart in 10 seconds I bet.

I don't know why so many people have such huge egos that they couldn't even concede that a professional FEMALE fighter could beat them. It's embarrassing. Then again, I should have figured as much since most guys in GD are hard-core fighting machines and nothing short of Chuck Norris would bring them down.

Everybody knows Chuck Norris wears Squatdog pajamas.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We shouldn't overstate the danger of a knife.  When you train, you learn to avoid blows while simultaneously striking your opponent.  Whether they are hitting you empty-handed, with a knife, with a short stick, etc you should be capable of avoiding their strikes.  Getting punched in the throat and having your larynx/trachea crushed can be as bad as a stab wound.  The first step in knife training is simply acclimatising to the fact that there is a knife present.  Most people panic at the sight of a knife and start focusing on the tip without realizing that it's an extension of the opponent's hand.  The knife can only go where the hand makes it go.  If you can avoid a punch, you can avoid the knife.  Class dismissed.
View Quote

You also get hit a lot when you fight someone who is fighting back.

And a knife opens up many targets. Throw a punch, you arm is an excellent target, the result likely being considerable blood loss and a slipper floor.

It isn't simply an extention of an empty hand. It changes the dynamics. What is a block with an empty hand is potentially a major wound with a knife.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You are nuts. I'd like to see a picture of your ideal "fit". 150-160 is the average weight of a long distance runner at 5'10". I am 5'10", just south of 190. I lift 5 days a week and run 3 days a week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lifting a lot tends to put on muscle mass. Or at least it does if you are doing it right. Being fit doesn't mean being strong. Just average in shape dude.  Average not ideal fit. A guy that watches his weight and maybe hits the gym a couple times a week.

Anthony Pettis, the lightweight champion, is 5'10" and walks around at like 175. Super athletic dude who is well above average. Not in muscle size but in pure athleticism which includes some extra non-average muscle mass. IIRC height is usually factored at 5-7 pounds per inch so knock off that and take away 10-15 pounds of muscle and there you go.

For an example of what I don't consider to be average here is Matt Hughes, former welterweight champ, who is 5'9" with a walking weight of around 200 pounds IIRC.

Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top