BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's the biggest load of crap I've read in a while !!!! and gets people hurt or killed. If you even look it up or train with some of the best knife fighters in the world they will tell you if someone pulls a knife and you don't have a weapon- Run like hell

View Quote

Even ridgerunner says that.  

I think I would take his advise!

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Bully beat down really does show the vast difference between a trained, experienced fighter and a street tough.

There was one bully who actually had some skills. He tagged the pro pretty good cause the pro was taking it easy. Pro put a foot on the side of the bully's head that he won't likely forget.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"315 all day" versus a professional fighter.

http://youtu.be/Wg35EOJOKMQ

Bully beat down really does show the vast difference between a trained, experienced fighter and a street tough.

There was one bully who actually had some skills. He tagged the pro pretty good cause the pro was taking it easy. Pro put a foot on the side of the bully's head that he won't likely forget.

I remember that one.  Mayham was a little pissed he had to give the money back.  IIRC head kick was illegal move for BBD.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#3]
14 seconds is pretty strong.

Just watched the fight. Nice, fluid technique from start to finish.

She was open for that flying knee, though. Could have been bad if Cat had executed that from a closer range.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are people going to keep shelling out money for a PPV event if Ms, Rousey keeps taking opponents apart in less than 30 seconds? Good question to ponder.

The replay, just as with the last fight, shows why people are talking absolute nonsense. Making one mistake...even for a fraction of a second...is enough to get your arm broke. You don't appreciate what that is until you've actually faced it.
View Quote

I remember when the PPV people were going through that with Tyson.

Here's what I posted in the other RR thread:

Yeah. That was good. Cat made a mistake leaving her arm isolated while trying not to give her back.

Notice Ronda never really contested her strength, directly. She didn't try to out muscle Cat's first throw, she went faster through the throw than Cat was taking her and landed in superior position, eventually rolling on through to one of a few different locks available from that position, using her entire body against one elbow joint.

Now, there's a point where someone with enough strength could have powered out of that but it's one hell of a lot more than the average 180# guy has.

ETA: She may have never done that exact takedown, but I'll guarantee that she'd done the same concept before. Like you implied, it's about general principles and applying them as you feel them in the moment.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah. That was good. Cat made a mistake leaving her arm isolated while trying not to give her back.

Notice Ronda never really contested her strength, directly. She didn't try to out muscle Cat's first throw, she went faster through the throw than Cat was taking her and landed in superior position, eventually rolling on through to one of a few different locks available from that position, using her entire body against one elbow joint.

Now, there's a point where someone with enough strength could have powered out of that but it's one hell of a lot more than the average 180# guy has.

ETA: She may have never done that exact takedown, but I'll guarantee that she'd done the same concept before. Like you implied, it's about general principles and applying them as you feel them in the moment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are people going to keep shelling out money for a PPV event if Ms, Rousey keeps taking opponents apart in less than 30 seconds? Good question to ponder.

The replay, just as with the last fight, shows why people are talking absolute nonsense. Making one mistake...even for a fraction of a second...is enough to get your arm broke. You don't appreciate what that is until you've actually faced it.

Yup. She did exactly what I said would happen to the majority of the guys in this thread. She used Zingano's momentum to put her on her back and took her arm in 15 seconds without Zingano really knowing what hit her. And that is a woman that knows armbars and likely spent 25 hours or more over just the last 8 weeks training armbar defense.

A bigger stronger man might have been able to power out when she first trapped the arm(assuming they even recognized that they were in danger) but I think that was what she was looking for anyway. To me it looks like she was just trapping the arm from the back to set up a back down armbar after a scramble. She has used that a lot in the past. Zingano started to sneak out the backdoor instead of rolling though so she just sat down on it and took it from the top. Once she did that it was tap or snap no matter how strong you are.

Here is the full fight for those that missed it:
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#7]
If she could get a big guy in a ln arm bar? Maybe.

In that last fight, a guy who's 6'0-6'2 would of never been pinned like that. The other chick was on her knees before being arm barred. It'd be easy to just stand up with 135lbs on you from your knees and I don't even work out all the time. Once she's up in the air, no leverage. No pin. Let alone simple reach disadvantage.

In a ring fight could she have a chance? Yeah. In a real fight someone who has 100+ lbs on her and is in shape wouldn't give her the chance.  Her only advantage would be tiring the larger person out until she could get them exactly where she wants them, then do damage. But one wrong slip up and its game over. Fair fights are never fair. In this case, her hair would be her biggest disadvantage. Where the head goes, the body goes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems like she's usually a complete bitch to her opponents. Not this time.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks for the.gif

glad I stopped paying for these a long time ago, that was a sick "takedown" though
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#10]
The interview with Cat at the end of the fight was priceless !   Cat's entire comments:

"F(*k, F*(K, my arm F&^K, s*&t, F*&K, she F(&K, Sh(t, F(*K
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In that last fight, a guy who's 6'0-6'2 would of never been pinned like that. The other chick was on her knees before being arm barred. It'd be easy to just stand up with 135lbs on you from your knees and I don't even work out all the time. Once she's up in the air, no leverage. No pin. Let alone simple reach disadvantage.

In a ring fight could she have a chance? Yeah. In a real fight someone who has 100+ lbs on her and is in shape wouldn't give her the chance.  Her only advantage would be tiring the larger person out until she could get them exactly where she wants them, then do damage. But one wrong slip up and its game over. Fair fights are never fair. In this case, her hair would be her biggest disadvantage. Where the head goes, the body goes.
View Quote

So you think "a real fight" with real people involve 255 pound in shape guys? So what you are saying is that it would take a UFC heavyweight to take her on.

Lets see it. Load a barbell to 155, because she doesn't weigh 135, on the floor and record yourself getting on your hands and knees under it and how easy you would just stand up with her from that position. And then show us how easily you would defend your neck with her up in the air because she is just going to strangle you to sleep while you try it. And just for fun show us what you would do with her now that you have wasted all of that energy. Oh and she rode the back for all of 5 seconds so make it quick.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So you think "a real fight" with real people involve 255 pound in shape guys? So what you are saying is that it would take a UFC heavyweight to take her on.

Lets see it. Load a barbell to 155, because she doesn't weigh 135, on the floor and record yourself getting on your hands and knees under it and how easy you would just stand up with her from that position. And then show us how easily you would defend your neck with her up in the air because she is just going to strangle you to sleep while you try it. And just for fun show us what you would do with her now that you have wasted all of that energy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets see it. Load a barbell to 155, because she doesn't weigh 135, on the floor and record yourself getting on your hands and knees under it and how easy you would just stand up with her from that position. And then show us how easily you would defend your neck with her up in the air because she is just going to strangle you to sleep while you try it. And just for fun show us what you would do with her now that you have wasted all of that energy.

I'm saying a UFC heavy weight class person wouldn't even struggle with her, at all - especially in a 'real' fight.  And yes, you're right - people my size aren't probably all that common. I'm a farm boy from Ohio. I used to do push ups with my g/f on my back - 125lbs - and it was fairly easy. 2 80lbs of water softening salt on my shoulders is an easy carry, even up/down stairs. I've dead lifted a 250+lb struggling calf over my shoulders - probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, left me with a ton of bruises.  I don't know about you, but animals are *REALLY* fucking strong, and being kicked by a cow - even a calf, can leave serious injuries and, hooves hurt.  Being kicked in the hip by a full sized heifer left me limping for over a week, how it didn't break any bones is beyond me. (Also launched me about 3 feet into a wall.)

Bluntly, being unskilled? I'd fall on her after being up in the air. A fall from 6+ feet onto something hard, such as concrete would probably stop her from strangling me, for a while, as the intent would be to hurt the opponent as much as possible. But in her regards as a skilled fighter, I doubt she'd even try a take down on me.. I think she'd use her feet and speed, probably trying to take my knees / shins out with kicks.  Not saying she couldn't beat someone my size in a fight - I think she could - but it wouldn't be with arm bars or grappling.  I think she'd change tactics and stay away.  Something like a bear hug from someone my size could easily break ribs, etc. But, as she's faster, she could easily strike my legs - specifically knees/shins. Again, in a real fight - not a ring fight - you're not really concerned about the other person's well being. Take out the knees and game over - and knees, are very easy to hurt. (See any professional sport pretty much.) A hard kick from the side, even at her size, means major knee surgery.  But getting on my back to try to arm bar me, or grapple with me wouldn't be in her best interest, in my opinion.

If I had a bar bell around, I would film it for you, best I got is bags of feed around right now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

You might think you can just stand up from there, until you're there.

Look at where Cat's knees are. That's point of support. Now look at where the center of gravity is.  From that position, you can't get up. If you can get a foot under you, you can. But while you're leaning back to reposition your foot, she's going to be bettering her position, too, the same thing she focused on from the get go.

That's why the MA guys on here always talk position, first. Position is what won her the fight.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#14]

I don't think I've seen anyone that fluid in BJJ ever.  Even the early Gracie fights never seemed to have that kind of flow.  The only fighter I can think of with that kind of sugar was Anderson Silva with his striking.  She's just operating on another level than everyone else.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yup. She did exactly what I said would happen to the majority of the guys in this thread. She used Zingano's momentum to put her on her back and took her arm in 15 seconds without Zingano really knowing what hit her. And that is a woman that knows armbars and likely spent 25 hours or more over just the last 8 weeks training armbar defense.

A bigger stronger man might have been able to power out when she first trapped the arm(assuming they even recognized that they were in danger) but I think that was what she was looking for anyway. To me it looks like she was just trapping the arm from the back to set up a back down armbar after a scramble. She has used that a lot in the past. Zingano started to sneak out the backdoor instead of rolling though so she just sat down on it and took it from the top. Once she did that it was tap or snap no matter how strong you are.

http://giant.gfycat.com/CornyGenuineDove.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://giant.gfycat.com/CornyGenuineDove.gif

fly to the spider. dam that was skill.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I would rather see Rousey/Cyborg than Mayweather/Pacquio. Even if the latter two were in there prime. Im 275 and can bench 5 bills. Ive studied FMA for ten years. I wouldn't fight this freak if I had a bear on a leash.

My dream girl.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I find it amusing that people think they can beat an Olympic athlete at their sport simply because they might be bigger, stronger, etc. Rousey is 5'7 and probably walks around at around 160lbs. You might lift more then her. But at around 60-90 seconds into the fight you'll probably be exhausted and not much stronger then her. If you don't knock her out immediately you won't over-power her for long.

Don't believe me? Do a 400 meter sprint then immediately start doing some deadlifts, even if its as light as 135... You'll be sucking air like crazy.

I know a lot of people have the well why don't Rousey fight men line of logic... Well that's because she's not going to beat a bunch of male professional fighters... Unless you've spent some time on the mat you aren't going to beat her... But then again anyone who's spent enough time grappling isn't going to be arguing on the internet about if they can beat a female Olympic athlete at their sport or not.

I'm guessing the guys here can out pole-valt Allison Stokke too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#18]
She didn't get those shoulders from pounding a keyboard in the basement.

Jus' Sayin'

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Ronda Rousey offers Cat Zingano rematch out of respect, says she feels bad for her.

"I said 'I'm happy to do this again anytime,' you know? It's hard to
feel like you tested yourself when something like that happens, so I
think if we fought again it would be very, very different, just like
when me and Miesha Tate fought again."

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:17:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Former amateur MMA here - wouldn't want to fuck with her.

I wasn't particularly good, though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I walk long distances and do sit ups. I honestly think I could take her out in a match. if she agreed to not move around much. and not be grabbing at my arms.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:11:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Some of you guys are pants-on-the-head delusional if you think there aren't HUNDREDS of members on here who could pound these girls into the dust.  
I don't know if it's just buying into the UFC Rousey hype, or believe too much in the brazilian juju magic, or just think the average arfcommer is a 300lb sack of suet, but come on.
Could Rousey tap out the average untrained man?  Certainly.   Could she defeat a guy with thirty or forty pounds on her who wrestled competitively in college and is in decent shape?  Don't think so.

Here, watch these videos again.

Rousey vs Gegard Mousasi

Cyborg "slams" Tito Ortiz

And yes, I know.  "But those are PROFESSIONAL male fighters!"    
Seriously, watch those videos.  Those guys aren't using anything more than high-school level wrestling stuff.  They're going about 50-60%, and simply out-muscling those girls.  Both Cyborg and Rousey are unable to inflict their will either way - the size and strength difference is just too great.   They're getting manhandled just with casual grappling.  How well would they handle it if those guys mixed in a bunch of uppercuts in the clinch, or heavy elbows on the ground?  How much of that do you think they could take?

It's like people forget that even though Rousey is the best in the world, she's still the best in the world at beating the shit out of 135lb women.   What do think the depth of field is of serious female MMA fighters?  Dozens?  Hundreds?  She's already fighting the same opponents over again. Do you think the field is deeper or harder than becoming high-school state wrestling champ in, say, Pennsylvania?  Do you think the women's Olympic wrestling gold medalist could beat that high-school state champ in her same weight class?  

There are tons of American wrestlers who learn a little stand-up, and just enough jujitsu to avoid the basic submissions, who go on to do great in the UFC.   I'm sure there are plenty of dudes on here with a good wrestling background.   What's Rousey going to do, out wrestle those guys?  Doubt it.  Trade shots with a man who has fifty pounds and a six inch reach on her?  Nope.  The only chance I could see would be hoping that her opponent would be so base ignorant of submissions that he would walk right into an armbar or leglock that he couldn't muscle out of- and then hope he didn't have enough gas left to pick her up and slam her back down, a la Rampage Jackson.  Hey, it worked for Royce Gracie - back when no one understood what the fuck he was doing.  Once everybody learned how NOT to get armbarred and triangled, he wisely called it quits.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:03:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

She's 135. You've seen too many movies, because in the real world, in a fight, size matters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FYI, this is what happens when a street tough goes up against even a mediocre professional fighter. No one outside of the male professional fighters is beating Ronda these days.

http://youtu.be/tl6ilMpq8hQ

She's 135. You've seen too many movies, because in the real world, in a fight, size matters.

From my experience speed matters but I don't want to turn this in to a 9 versus 45 debate.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:08:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lets see it. Load a barbell to 155, because she doesn't weigh 135, on the floor and record yourself getting on your hands and knees under it and how easy you would just stand up with her from that position. And then show us how easily you would defend your neck with her up in the air because she is just going to strangle you to sleep while you try it. And just for fun show us what you would do with her now that you have wasted all of that energy. Oh and she rode the back for all of 5 seconds so make it quick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buncha leg humpers up in here.

Rousey wouldnt last 5 seconds with a 6'2" 260lb. dude that knew what he was doing.

One punch, game OVA.

Sorry man. Newton wins, every time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:14:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

lol

5' 7

135lb

View Quote
I would pay $500 to watch her rip your arm off and beat you upon the head with it.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:15:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

If she got ahold of me, I think she'd break my arm or leg.  With my reach and size, though, I'm not sure she could get in close enough to grab me without me knocking her out.

View Quote
Lol

You best be a well skilled street fighter.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:26:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If she got ahold of me, I think she'd break my arm or leg.  With my reach and size, though, I'm not sure she could get in close enough to grab me without me knocking her out.

Lol

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:31:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:10:31 AM EDT
[#29]

The question is not "could she beat the crap outta me?"

The question is "how much will it cost?"

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Rousey wouldnt last 5 seconds with a 6'2" 260lb. dude that knew what he was doing.

One punch, game OVA.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One punch, game OVA.

I would hope so. If she fought a tiger the tiger would probably win too.

And apparently there are a lot of UFC level heavyweight fighters on Arfcom that take her. Who knew? I wonder why the heavyweight division has been so shallow for so long when there are these massive thoroughbreds everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Some of you guys are pants-on-the-head delusional if you think there aren't HUNDREDS of members on here who could pound these girls into the dust.  
I don't know if it's just buying into the UFC Rousey hype, or believe too much in the brazilian juju magic, or just think the average arfcommer is a 300lb sack of suet, but come on.
Could Rousey tap out the average untrained man?  Certainly.   Could she defeat a guy with thirty or forty pounds on her who wrestled competitively in college and is in decent shape?  Don't think so.

Rousey vs Gegard Mousasi

Seriously, watch those videos.  Those guys aren't using anything more than high-school level wrestling stuff.  They're going about 50-60%, and simply out-muscling those girls.  Both Cyborg and Rousey are unable to inflict their will either way - the size and strength difference is just too great.   They're getting manhandled just with casual grappling.  How well would they handle it if those guys mixed in a bunch of uppercuts in the clinch, or heavy elbows on the ground?  How much of that do you think they could take?

It's like people forget that even though Rousey is the best in the world, she's still the best in the world at beating the shit out of 135lb women.   What do think the depth of field is of serious female MMA fighters?  Dozens?  Hundreds?  She's already fighting the same opponents over again. Do you think the field is deeper or harder than becoming high-school state wrestling champ in, say, Pennsylvania?  Do you think the women's Olympic wrestling gold medalist could beat that high-school state champ in her same weight class?  

There are tons of American wrestlers who learn a little stand-up, and just enough jujitsu to avoid the basic submissions, who go on to do great in the UFC.   I'm sure there are plenty of dudes on here with a good wrestling background.   What's Rousey going to do, out wrestle those guys?  Doubt it.  Trade shots with a man who has fifty pounds and a six inch reach on her?  Nope.  The only chance I could see would be hoping that her opponent would be so base ignorant of submissions that he would walk right into an armbar or leglock that he couldn't muscle out of- and then hope he didn't have enough gas left to pick her up and slam her back down, a la Rampage Jackson.  Hey, it worked for Royce Gracie - back when no one understood what the fuck he was doing.  Once everybody learned how NOT to get armbarred and triangled, he wisely called it quits.

View Quote

Most of us just realize that there is a difference between "i used to wrestle" and "I wrestle, kickbox, grapple, and do strength and conditioning 5-6 times per week."

"Fighting the same opponents over again?" She has had exactly 1 rematch in her career.

"so base ignorant of submissions that he would walk right into an armbar or leglock that he couldn't muscle out of- and then hope he didn't have enough gas left to pick her up and slam her back down." You just described 99% of men. Watching Gracie armbar people didn't teach you how to not get armbarred.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And apparently there are a lot of UFC level heavyweight fighters on Arfcom that take her. Who knew? I wonder why the heavyweight division has been so shallow for so long when there are these massive thoroughbreds everywhere.
View Quote

Reading the newer posts this morning and I think there may be an interesting phenomenon happening in threads like this.

Guys like you or me will mention that someone like Rousey would likely win over an untrained, average man in the 180# range. I believe that is pretty much true.

Then some will show us videos of her going against a 200# highly trained man or mention a 260# man who benches 350 pounds and wrestled in HS or college in an attempt to dispel the possibility of a woman being able to win in a fight against a man.

It's like they're on a team and so long as one guy on their team can whip the female challenger, then things are fine.

That mentality may or may not be the case but it sure comes off like that when such outrageous male challengers are suggested, when the only real commonality they have with the original suggestion is genitalia.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I don't think I've seen anyone that fluid in BJJ ever.  Even the early Gracie fights never seemed to have that kind of flow.  The only fighter I can think of with that kind of sugar was Anderson Silva with his striking.  She's just operating on another level than everyone else.  

View Quote
Shake her Martial Arts family tree and you'll see she's not so much a Brazilian fighter as a real honest-to-God Kodokan Judoka.  I'm studying under a guy who comes from the same schools as her teachers, and what she's doing is not rocket science.  It is difficult and it requires the skill and dedication of an Olympic contender to do it, which, oddly enough she was.  All these guys on here trying to equate her with a normal 150 pound woman are barking up the wrong tree.  Her technique and speed are what makes her what she is.  She's been trained by some of the best in the game and it shows.  If you really want to see fluid check out some of the YouTube videos of Kyuzo Mifune.  That's the school of thought that created Rhonda Rousey.  

I've been helping train a woman for an upcoming tournament.  I outweigh her, outrank her, and am considerably stronger than her.  She can manage to get the throw she wants on me about half the time if she commits from the start and keeps digging.  The only thing she lacks is all the tools and tricks that I've learned and am now tasked with teaching her.  If I have the misfortune of giving her an arm or letting her get her hands on my throat once we've hit the floor it's all I can do to regain control.  And we're going full-speed during randori.  It is no stretch of the imagination for me to see how Rousey could end a fight quickly against about any man who is not himself a trained martial artist.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rousey vs Gegard Mousasi

View Quote

Most of us just realize that there is a difference between "i used to wrestle" and "I wrestle, kickbox, grapple, and do strength and conditioning 5-6 times per week."

"Fighting the same opponents over again?" She has had exactly 1 rematch in her career.

"so base ignorant of submissions that he would walk right into an armbar or leglock that he couldn't muscle out of- and then hope he didn't have enough gas left to pick her up and slam her back down." You just described 99% of men. Watching Gracie armbar people didn't teach you how to not get armbarred.
View Quote

In other words, Rousey can beat anybody, except those who she can't, and we're not talking about them.

I used to wrestle, I used to be a Golden Gloves state champion, I'm in decent shape, and I have sixty pounds of muscle on her after she rehydrates.  I've rolled around with submissions guys enough to recognize the setups. You don't think there are plenty of guys on a forum with active military members who are in great shape and have a combatives background?

11 fights and one rematch.  That doesn't disprove my point that she is the big fish in a very small and shallow pond.   Everything she has done has been against other 135lb females.  I have seen nothing that convinces me that she would be competitive against a large male opponent with a basic familiarity with fighting.  Quite the contrary, in fact.

Jujitsu is not magic.  It takes much less skill to recognize and avoid a submission than it does to apply one.  She would get outmuscled in the clinch.  She would get outmuscled in the scramble.  She'd be at a significant strength and reach disadvantage.  She couldn't take damage the way a male fighter could.  She'd gas out much quicker dealing with the weight alone in guard.

You guys are living in dreamland.

eta: Gracie won fights because he brought something new and unfamiliar to a virgin field of competitors.  Once everybody became familiar with it,  the UFC wasn't dominated by guys trying to imitate Gracie - for a long time it was dominated by wrestlers who controlled the fight, avoided submissions, and beat the shit out of guys in the clinch and on the ground.   They didn't copy his technique, they just negated it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#35]
I didn't realize this thread was titled "Yes, Ronda Rousy would destroy anyone"

Fact of the matter is she would snap the average human's arms or legs in a heart beat and if they still had any fight left she could handle it.

*I know GD consists of the baddest of bad, I don't need reminding.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Reading the newer posts this morning and I think there may be an interesting phenomenon happening in threads like this.

Guys like you or me will mention that someone like Rousey would likely win over an untrained, average man in the 180# range. I believe that is pretty much true.

Then some will show us videos of her going against a 200# highly trained man or mention a 260# man who benches 350 pounds and wrestled in HS or college in an attempt to dispel the possibility of a woman being able to win in a fight against a man.

It's like they're on a team and so long as one guy on their team can whip the female challenger, then things are fine.

That mentality may or may not be the case but it sure comes off like that when such outrageous male challengers are suggested, when the only real commonality they have with the original suggestion is genitalia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think anyone really disputes that.   But I think you're mischaracterizing the objection to the thread, which isn't titled "Yes, Ronda Rousey would destroy the average slob", it's titled "Yes, Ronda Rousey would destroy YOU."  
Naturally, one should expect a few folks to pop up and say "Uhh, doubt it."    I think the Rousey supporters are either blatantly ignorant about the skill and conditioning of a large amount of people, or they are too heavily invested in the Secret Techniques of the Ancients that dispel physics and biology.

And the response to the size weight advantage has been videos of professional male fighters fighting untrained bros.  Not exactly a valid comparison.
I think this is a bit of backpedaling going on here, friend.  The initial claim was not made as you just stated it, and now you're trying to paint everyone who disputes it as some kind of misogynist.  

Watch the Cyborg - Ortiz clip and show me the high-level technique he uses.  The single leg?  The shuck?  The duckunder?  She can't even crossface him off her, and this is considered a top-level contender.  

I'm not knocking these women - I have great respect for their ability and skill.  I just think the hype is approaching the Bruce Lee vs Mike Tyson levels of ridiculousness.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

combine a well trained feminine grace and BJJ and you can get that kind of play. I wonder if she does Yoga and has Gymnastic training as well?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

In other words, Rousey can beat anybody, except those who she can't, and we're not talking about them.

I used to wrestle, I used to be a Golden Gloves state champion, I'm in decent shape, and I have sixty pounds of muscle on her after she rehydrates.  I've rolled around with submissions guys enough to recognize the setups. You don't think there are plenty of guys on a forum with active military members who are in great shape and have a combatives background?

11 fights and one rematch.  That doesn't disprove my point that she is the big fish in a very small and shallow pond.   Everything she has done has been against other 135lb females.  I have seen nothing that convinces me that she would be competitive against a large male opponent with a basic familiarity with fighting.  Quite the contrary, in fact.

Jujitsu is not magic.  It takes much less skill to recognize and avoid a submission than it does to apply one.  She would get outmuscled in the clinch.  She would get outmuscled in the scramble.  She'd be at a significant strength and reach disadvantage.  She couldn't take damage the way a male fighter could.  She'd gas out much quicker dealing with the weight alone in guard.

eta: Gracie won fights because he brought something new and unfamiliar to a virgin field of competitors.  Once everybody became familiar with it,  the UFC wasn't dominated by guys trying to imitate Gracie - for a long time it was dominated by wrestlers who controlled the fight, avoided submissions, and beat the shit out of guys in the clinch and on the ground.   They didn't copy his technique, they just negated it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rousey vs Gegard Mousasi

This guy gets it. That makes all of about five people in this thread.

Women's sports in general has very little competition. Even an established sport like women's college basketball has all of about a dozen reasonably competitive teams. Beyond that, you'll see 50+ point margins. Women don't really fight, so that's why you have so few competitors. Rousey has very little competition and there's no way around that. She looks great dominating poorly trained fighters who aren't biologically equipped to be fighters in the first place.

When it comes to female martial artists, she's probably the best in the world. This is judged by her Olympic background, her physical conditioning, and MMA track record. It's also judged by her success against her competition, that being female fighters and judo practitioners. This is the problem because this field is VERY limited. As others have put it, she's a big fish in a mud puddle. There is simply no way to know how she would fare against real competition. Royce Gracie dominated MMA when it was essentially an underground sport. Once established fighters came in and it gained popularity (and it is still nowhere near a mainstream sport), Gracie quit. Women's MMA today is well below the level of UFC circa 1993, which is to say it's basically worthless.

I stand by my contention that the best woman in the world is less skilled than an elite high school male. That is to say that Rousey is equivalent to, say, a 16-year-old state placewinner wrestler in the 135# class. With the question posed that way, how many people think they would get "destroyed" by a 16-year-old boy they outweigh by a significant margin based on skill alone?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

One punch, game OVA.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One punch, game OVA.

she wouldn't win against a 200lb man who is in decent shape. not even a man who is a trained fighter.  I've seen the results of women who train MMA then think they can be badasses or big bull dykes who are strong as ox's and think they can man up and take on a man in a bar. 1-3 solid shots from a man and its over.

testosterone for life wins...everytime.
it should be a Newton Law of hormonal energy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Women's sports in general has very little competition. Even an established sport like women's college basketball has all of about a dozen reasonably competitive teams. Beyond that, you'll see 50+ point margins. Women don't really fight, so that's why you have so few competitors. Rousey has very little competition and there's no way around that. She looks great dominating poorly trained fighters who aren't biologically equipped to be fighters in the first place.

When it comes to female martial artists, she's probably the best in the world. This is judged by her Olympic background, her physical conditioning, and MMA track record. It's also judged by her success against her competition, that being female fighters and judo practitioners. This is the problem because this field is VERY limited. As others have put it, she's a big fish in a mud puddle. There is simply no way to know how she would fare against real competition. Royce Gracie dominated MMA when it was essentially an underground sport. Once established fighters came in and it gained popularity (and it is still nowhere near a mainstream sport), Gracie quit. Women's MMA today is well below the level of UFC circa 1993, which is to say it's basically worthless.

I stand by my contention that the best woman in the world is less skilled than an elite high school male. That is to say that Rousey is equivalent to, say, a 16-year-old state placewinner wrestler in the 135# class. With the question posed that way, how many people think they would get "destroyed" by a 16-year-old boy they outweigh by a significant margin based on skill alone?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rousey vs Gegard Mousasi

There is another thread about a 18 years old Marine out of Boot camp, now this brings it down a notch. 16 year old HS kid now kicks her butt.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Rousey vs Gegard Mousasi

View Quote

Lol.  Tito Ortiz has more than just a "little training."  He's a former UFC Light Heavyweight Champ.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There is another thread about a 18 years old Marine out of Boot camp, now this brings it down a notch. 16 year old HS kid now kicks her butt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rousey vs Gegard Mousasi

Read it again. That's not what I said.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
[I think the Rousey supporters are either blatantly ignorant about the skill and conditioning of a large amount of people, or they are too heavily invested in the Secret Techniques of the Ancients that dispel physics and biology.

And the response to the size weight advantage has been videos of professional male fighters fighting untrained bros.  Not exactly a valid comparison.
I think this is a bit of backpedaling going on here, friend.  The initial claim was not made as you just stated it, and now you're trying to paint everyone who disputes it as some kind of misogynist.  

Watch the Cyborg - Ortiz clip and show me the high-level technique he uses.  The single leg?  The shuck?  The duckunder?  She can't even crossface him off her, and this is considered a top-level contender.  

I'm not knocking these women - I have great respect for their ability and skill.  I just think the hype is approaching the Bruce Lee vs Mike Tyson levels of ridiculousness.
View Quote

It's not that I'm ignorant of the skill and conditioning of a large amount of people here. It's that I'm not ignorant of what it takes to compete at that level which leads me to my next point.

The bully beat down clips were in no way meant to convey that she had the ability of those professional men. It was meant to (and explicitly stated by me) show the massive advantage that level of training and skill gives.

I have no doubt (and have stated so) that there is a point on the graph of size/strength vs skill conditioning where one overcomes the other. There's no doubt that some here are on the other side of that point. At one time I would have been. Now, due to conditioning, I wouldn't be as sure.

I think there are some here who have no first hand appreciation of what good technique, practice and conditioning can overcome.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When it comes to female martial artists, she's probably the best in the world
. This is judged by her Olympic background, her physical conditioning, and MMA track record. It's also judged by her success against her competition, that being female fighters and judo practitioners. This is the problem because this field is VERY limited. As others have put it, she's a big fish in a mud puddle. There is simply no way to know how she would fare against real competition. Royce Gracie dominated MMA when it was essentially an underground sport. Once established fighters came in and it gained popularity (and it is still nowhere near a mainstream sport), Gracie quit. Women's MMA today is well below the level of UFC circa 1993, which is to say it's basically worthless.

My mistake, she would be equal to the 16 year old. all the years of training and fighting and look where it got her
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#46]
In all 1000 of these threads I'm not sure if we're talking a fight with rules in the cage or a fight for your life. Even as a skilled grappler, I don't like the idea of shooting for a leg in a street fight waiting for the elbow that's gonna come down on my spine and make me a quadriplegic.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My mistake, she would be equal to the 16 year old. all the years of training and fighting and look where it got her
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When it comes to female martial artists, she's probably the best in the world
. This is judged by her Olympic background, her physical conditioning, and MMA track record. It's also judged by her success against her competition, that being female fighters and judo practitioners. This is the problem because this field is VERY limited. As others have put it, she's a big fish in a mud puddle. There is simply no way to know how she would fare against real competition. Royce Gracie dominated MMA when it was essentially an underground sport. Once established fighters came in and it gained popularity (and it is still nowhere near a mainstream sport), Gracie quit. Women's MMA today is well below the level of UFC circa 1993, which is to say it's basically worthless.

I'm sure Florence Griffith-Joyner and Amanda Beard dedicated their lives to their respective crafts, but they still, even in their prime, probably wouldn't have won a high school boys' meet. District 11 in PA, last year, had a boys' 100 yard freestyle winner of 45.74. The all-time women's record is 46.29.

I do not see a compelling why this one and only person would be any different when the size, strength, and physical ability of a peak female athlete, regardless of sport, is about equivalent to a good high school male athlete. The facts bear this out.

The answer is not that hard. Ronda Rousey has major obstacles to beating a man. The biggest, of course, is biology, as a 5'7" 135# male athlete will be significantly stronger and faster than she is. How much can skill overcome biology as well as sheer size and strength? That depends on every individual, but the leg-humpers here are out of their damn minds.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a reason there is a running joke of everyone here thinking they are 6'6" 250 pound behemoths who make $10M/year banging supermodels. They don't realize that the average male is 5'9" with a fit bodyweight of about 150 pounds. It is like we have a bunch of closet NFL players here.

I think Joe Rogan got it right when he said Ronda could probably beat about 50% of the current UFC bantamweight men. As he said there are just physical differences between men and women that affect everything from strength to the ability to take a punch. But that is still an estimated 50% of professional men that weigh the same as her. Her skill beats half of them. The other half at least come close to matching her in skill and the physical difference takes over.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I could have her handcuffed and crying about my use of excessive force and telling me she will get me fired in less than 20 seconds.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rousey vs Gegard Mousasi

I didn't say she could beat anybody. I will reiterate what I said earlier. She would destroy 99% of the people here 99% of the time. That might be a minor exaggeration but what difference does that make? She is still a bad bitch that would beat the fuck out of just about everyone here.

Good for you. You might do better than 1% of the time.  

Again background is largely irrelevant. If you aren't training right now you are losing your skill as you age. It doesn't matter if you wrestled in college 10 years ago or if you used to box. She has been training and competing for the last 20 years. Past experience just means you will know the name of the blow/throw/submission that beat you when it is all said and done.

Almost no one here trains BJJ or grappling of any kind. And really she isn't a BJJ fighter so I don't know why you keep harping on BJJ. It isn't her BJJ that will beat people. It is her skill. She is a skilled fighter. She can strike, wrestle, throw, submit, defend, avoid, and last for a full 25 minute fight. There is a reason so many people are getting popped for performance enhancing drugs right now in the sport. It takes a freak to be able to do that and win. She is doing it better than anyone else in the world right now which isn't exactly a small pool and nobodies behind a keyboard think they can handle her because they have a weight advantage or because they wrestled in college or because they can pick heavy things up and put them down 8 or 10 times. Great. You have A to beat her. She has A, B, C, D, E, and F to beat you and she practices all of it full time. Good luck. People in general overestimate their abilities when they don't actually put those abilities to the test. She does it 3 or 4 times a year against the best in the world and comes out on top.

Yes, men in general have a physical advantage over women. Skill can over come a lot of size and strength though.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top