BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 55
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They are trained to be be proficient with handguns.  Would it have been okay to shoot him because they were trained?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was shown in this thread that that is a trained takedown in quite a few areas.

I don't see how he'll get convicted of a move they are trained to do.If the guy weighed 190lbs there probably wouldn't have been an injury.

I'm not a cop and not defending what happened,just pointing out what I have learned from the cops on this board.I don't think the sweep was necessary either.

They are trained to be be proficient with handguns.  Would it have been okay to shoot him because they were trained?

I was going to try and explain (again) that there wasn't even a need for force at all, but I suppose this is a much more succinct answer.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If a move is useful on 190 pound people but catastrophic on 140 pound people then it shouldn't be used on 140 pound people.  I also find the idea of taking training one time and calling ones self proficient on the task forever to be incredibly disturbing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was shown in this thread that that is a trained takedown in quite a few areas.

I don't see how he'll get convicted of a move they are trained to do.If the guy weighed 190lbs there probably wouldn't have been an injury.

I'm not a cop and not defending what happened,just pointing out what I have learned from the cops on this board.I don't think the sweep was necessary either.

If a move is useful on 190 pound people but catastrophic on 140 pound people then it shouldn't be used on 140 pound people.  I also find the idea of taking training one time and calling ones self proficient on the task forever to be incredibly disturbing.

I'm not saying it was a good move or defending the use of force.

I'm just saying why I don't think he will be found guilty.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I was going to try and explain (again) that there wasn't even a need for force at all, but I suppose this is a much more succinct answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think the use of force was necessary at all either.I'm just agreeing with the guys saying he wont be found guilty.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not guilty in both courts is my prediction.

I agree-they will find he followed procedure/training.

If the procedure/training is that far off, and that bad, that's going to be catastrophic in the civil suit.

Have you ever been in a fight?

I can leg sweep you, give you a shove and have your head/shoulders contact whatever the fuck you land on.

I can leg sweep you, maintain a grip, guide you to the ground & maintain a primary position on you.

I can leg sweep you, wrap my arms around you, elevate and use our combined body weight to royally fuck you up.

Anyone who says they are a cop & were trained in the 3rd option is a lying fuck.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:02:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the Governor of the State already apologized to the Indian Ambassador and advised they would be doing all they could to help bring the officer who committed the illegal act to justice. Does not bode well for the cop, nor should it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:17:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think the Governor of the State already apologized to the Indian Ambassador and advised they would be doing all they could to help bring the officer who committed the illegal act to justice. Does not bode well for the cop, nor should it.
View Quote

Fuck that! This is Murica not the third world! You step to the hammer of justice you get breakfast through a straw.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:37:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I can leg sweep you, give you a shove and have your head/shoulders contact whatever the fuck you land on.

I can leg sweep you, maintain a grip, guide you to the ground & maintain a primary position on you.

I can leg sweep you, wrap my arms around you, elevate and use our combined body weight to royally fuck you up.

Anyone who says they are a cop & were trained in the 3rd option is a lying fuck.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the procedure/training is that far off, and that bad, that's going to be catastrophic in the civil suit.

Well said.  This is a good example of inadequate or poor training.  The advantage of martial arts, as you point out, is it can be measured and scaled to the threat.  If he had produced a knife, then by all mean, slam his shoulder/neck into the ground.  Otherwise, it's possible to take someone down without so much as a bruise.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you.  I do however believe that if the case goes away on "that's how I was trained and it's an approved maneuver" then whoever approved it knowing that doing it on a 140 pound person would have a likely outcome of being catastrophic should be next up.

Although I frankly don't see how the move as the officer did it was ever not likely to cause permanent disability even on a 200 pound guy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The same technique is taught to all officers regardless of size.

In practice they will rotate training partners and so if you are in class with a 110lb female she will get the same take down as the 200 pound guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you.  I do however believe that if the case goes away on "that's how I was trained and it's an approved maneuver" then whoever approved it knowing that doing it on a 140 pound person would have a likely outcome of being catastrophic should be next up.

Although I frankly don't see how the move as the officer did it was ever not likely to cause permanent disability even on a 200 pound guy.

In practice they will rotate training partners and so if you are in class with a 110lb female she will get the same take down as the 200 pound guy.

There's really two options on the move that the officer did:
- He did it wrong which resulted in the guy getting overrotated and ending up with his head and neck supporting two men's weight
- He did it correctly and the move is unsafe, leaving whoever approved it liable for the predictable outcome
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Procedure and training are not defenses to a criminal prosecution. "It was proper procedure. It was in accordance with my training" is another way of saying "I was just following orders."
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Procedure and training are not defenses to a criminal prosecution. "It was proper procedure. It was in accordance with my training" is another way of saying "I was just following orders."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Fourth Amendment "reasonableness" inquiry is whether the officers' actions are "objectively reasonable" in light of the facts and circumstances confronting them, without regard to their underlying intent or motivation. The "reasonableness" of a particular use of force must be judged from the perspective of a reasonable officer on the scene, and its calculus must embody an allowance for the fact that police officers are often forced to make split-second decisions about the amount of force necessary in a particular situation. Pp. 490 U. S. 396-397.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll keep saying it:

I think the bigger issue is that he shouldn't have done it all.  That's why I believe he's going to be convicted.  The move itself, executed right, wrong or indifferent, just wasn't necessary to any reasonable person looking at the video.  

My .02.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Fourth Amendment "reasonableness" inquiry is whether the officers' actions are "objectively reasonable" in light of the facts and circumstances confronting them, without regard to their underlying intent or motivation. The "reasonableness" of a particular use of force must be judged from the perspective of a reasonable officer on the scene, and its calculus must embody an allowance for the fact that police officers are often forced to make split-second decisions about the amount of force necessary in a particular situation. Pp. 490 U. S. 396-397.

Your response was off topic and in any case, you are arguing with a lawyer... which means you have left your lane and entered his.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
So you are good with politicians having sway in the criminal justice system?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean other than police chiefs, DAs, sheriffs, judges, and attorneys general?

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You mean other than police chiefs, DAs, sheriffs, judges, and attorneys general?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that made me giggle too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Yeah that made me giggle too.
View Quote

Wait until he finds out about legislators.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:38:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the instructor actually stops the John Cena highlight DVD to allow practice, or does he wait until afterwards?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
All of the cops in this video were found not guilty in federal court.

http://youtu.be/SzpFheEY6ss

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I still think nothing will come of it.

Oh, he will be convicted, and rightfully so.

I was curious about what happened in the civil trial that resulted from that incident so I looked it up.

The parties settled for $460,000 with $1,000 going to the beaten guy, while his attorneys got $359,000 in fees and $100,000 in expenses. (Apparently civil rights cases are just like divorces in that they settle when the money to pay the lawyers runs out.)

In addition to the $1,000 the beaten guy also got 20 years for his crimes.

I haven't found any criminal trial case for the officers yet.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
- He did it wrong which resulted in the guy getting overrotated and ending up with his head and neck supporting two men's weight
- He did it correctly and the move is unsafe, leaving whoever approved it liable for the predictable outcome
View Quote

Just so we're all clear:  Every single fire & EMS call you've been involved in has had the same exact expected results when a trained technique was applied?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
All of the cops were found not guilty, go their jobs back with promotions and backpay.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I still think nothing will come of it.

Oh, he will be convicted, and rightfully so.

I was curious about what happened in the civil trial that resulted from that incident so I looked it up.

The parties settled for $460,000 with $1,000 going to the beaten guy, while his attorneys got $359,000 in fees and $100,000 in expenses. (Apparently civil rights cases are just like divorces in that they settle when the money to pay the lawyers runs out.)

In addition to the $1,000 the beaten guy also got 20 years for his crimes.

I haven't found any criminal trial case for the officers yet.

All of the cops were found not guilty, go their jobs back with promotions and backpay.

While that outcome is certainly a likely outcome, do you know that as a fact or are you just assuming?

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously?

Or snark?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Seriously?

Or snark?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?

Or snark?

I did some further checking and found:

Only 2 were indicted and tried but they were found not guilty.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/01/two_former_birmingham_police_o.html

All were reinstated. It didn't say anything about back pay but probably got that.  Dunno about promotions.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just so we're all clear:  Every single fire & EMS call you've been involved in has had the same exact expected results when a trained technique was applied?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Irrelevant and won't be answered.

The maneuver that was done on the guy ended up with 400 pounds of people landing on the guy's head and neck.  Was that either performed correctly or incorrectly?

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
the officers will be quickly put back to work and receive full back pay and benefits dating back to May 14, 2009,

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/04/jefferson_county_personnel_boa_5.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?

Or snark?

I did some further checking and found:

Only 2 were indicted and tried but they were found not guilty.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/01/two_former_birmingham_police_o.html

All were reinstated. It didn't say anything about back pay but probably got that.  Dunno about promotions.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2014/05/trial_date_set_for_lawsuit_aga.html

the officers will be quickly put back to work and receive full back pay and benefits dating back to May 14, 2009,

At the reinstatement hearing, 'the city failed to present any evidence in support of termination of the five officers'.

Reading between the lines, with a civil suit against the city coming up for trial, the city made a choice to not defend the firing of the cops so as not to increase the evidence against the city in the civil suit.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Reading between the lines, with a civil suit against the city coming up for trial, the city made a choice to not defend the firing of the cops so as not to increase the evidence against the city in the civil suit.
View Quote

That makes it a bit different than it seems on the surface.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The maneuver that was done on the guy ended up with 400 pounds of people landing on the guy's head and neck.  Was that either performed correctly or incorrectly?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Nope.

Chief Roper was fairly new on the job and wanted to make a name for himself so he knee jerked fired these guys. I called it way back when it happened.

BPD paid a six figure payout on a shoot that was ruled a good shoot by everyone.

BPD also paid out major bucks to two officers fired for arresting the then mayors daughter. They got fired, rehired and fired again and were basically told we will keep firing you even though we know the board will keep making us hire you back. How much for you to just walk away? My understanding is those were 7 figure payouts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At the reinstatement hearing, 'the city failed to present any evidence in support of termination of the five officers'.

Nope.

Chief Roper was fairly new on the job and wanted to make a name for himself so he knee jerked fired these guys. I called it way back when it happened.

BPD paid a six figure payout on a shoot that was ruled a good shoot by everyone.

BPD also paid out major bucks to two officers fired for arresting the then mayors daughter. They got fired, rehired and fired again and were basically told we will keep firing you even though we know the board will keep making us hire you back. How much for you to just walk away? My understanding is those were 7 figure payouts.

5 guys beating on a motionless and unconscious perp is a knee jerk firing?

What was the justification for hitting the guy as he lay on the ground? Maybe he is faking it after being ejected from a roll over crash and he was resisting by not putting his hands behind his back when ordered?

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I too thought your question was ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What was the justification for hitting the guy as he lay on the ground? Maybe he is faking it after being ejected from a roll over crash and he was resisting by not putting his hands behind his back when ordered?
View Quote

And since every cop on scene did it then it's obviously what a reasonable cop would do.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I imagine once he's back on the job he'll get a cool nickname like the Kolkata crippler or something clever befitting his accomplishments
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Desi Destroyer

Gujarati Slayer

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I imagine once he's back on the job he'll get a cool nickname like the Kolkata crippler or something clever befitting his accomplishments

Desi Destroyer

Gujarati Slayer

Nursing home nightmare
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Typical condescension.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:52:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Typical condescension.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Typical condescension.

Typical GD ignorance
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:50:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:47:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

He was brand new in the job and wanted to make a splash. He fired them without doing it the proper way, that is why he did not appear before the board because he knew he was wrong.

Officers were cleared by federal trial jury.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

He was brand new in the job and wanted to make a splash. He fired them without doing it the proper way, that is why he did not appear before the board because he knew he was wrong.

Ridiculously difficult to convict cops no matter how wrong they were.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:17:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

That whole "beyond a reasonable doubt" thing is a mother fucker.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:27:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

More than that, the standards for convicting an officer are very high and the standard in a civil rights case is incredibly high.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:14:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack
More than that, the standards for convicting an officer are very high and the standard in a civil rights case is incredibly high.
View Quote

umm.....the standard for civil court it a "preponderance of evidence",,,which is incredibly low.  Like a 51% probability that what was alleged happened.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

So what you are saying is that the cop that was punching the unconcious non-resisting guy in the head was doing the right thing?  

I thought that the excuse at the time was that they were just amp'd up from the pursuit and the fact that they thought he killed the cop he almost ran over.  Getting amp'd up and emotional (angry) isn't an excuse for throwing punches, if it is then most domestic violence arrests are pure hypocrisy.  I'm sure we agree that those arrests are good.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

So what you are saying is that the cop that was punching the unconcious non-resisting guy in the head was doing the right thing?  

I thought that the excuse at the time was that they were just amp'd up from the pursuit and the fact that they thought he killed the cop he almost ran over.  Getting amp'd up and emotional (angry) isn't an excuse for throwing punches, if it is then most domestic violence arrests are pure hypocrisy.  I'm sure we agree that those arrests are good.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.

I took Bama's "he knew he was wrong" comment to mean that the chief knew he fired the officers without going through the proper process, not that beating the guy was doing the right thing.

So if the chief didn't do it right the first time, can he fire them properly once they were rehired back or is it too late?

Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top