User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Obviously a good decision for you, now maybe you should mind your own goddamn business and let other people make their own decisions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get her a car. The money you'll save on gas won't offset the money you'll spend on her health care after she gets hit by a car on her motorcycle.
This is true. No one that drives a car has ever ended up in the hospital.  

I have never been in the hospital from any car accident, but I have been in the hospital 4 times from motorcycle accidents over the last 45 years. I gave up motorcycles.

Obviously a good decision for you, now maybe you should mind your own goddamn business and let other people make their own decisions.

But, he knows what is best or them, maybe he is related to FBHO?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm hardly a basement dweller, and certainly not a gun control "lib". I worked as a road paramedic for 26 years and as a flight medic. I'm no stranger to risking my life or living it and I would fight to the death to preserve your right to live as you wish, but I've seen a LOT of people who don't understand the risks die horribly and young. Just wanted op to know what he was in for. It's not even close to the same risks you face in a car (Cage) and there are risks you can not mitigate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fatality rate per mile driven is THIRTY TIMES higher for motorcycles than for cars. Denial is an awesome tool.

THE FACTS

You sound like a lib who advocates for gun control because someone could get hurt with a firearm. Everything we do in life comes with risk. The amount of risk a person chooses to assume is up to them to decide. You mitigate that risk on a bike with training and the proper protective equipment. Arguing that someone not paying attention might hit you is no different than a crack head popping you in the back with a Lorcin .25 auto for your wallet and his next fix. Yeah it could happen, but a defensive posture and situational awareness can prevent most incidents.

I'm hardly a basement dweller, and certainly not a gun control "lib". I worked as a road paramedic for 26 years and as a flight medic. I'm no stranger to risking my life or living it and I would fight to the death to preserve your right to live as you wish, but I've seen a LOT of people who don't understand the risks die horribly and young. Just wanted op to know what he was in for. It's not even close to the same risks you face in a car (Cage) and there are risks you can not mitigate.

Yup - because the op seems to be clueless about bikes....or was that someone else that seems clueless?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Wife's sister rides.  Wife said get her a bike and she'll take care of the riding class.

Got wife an old GS550L.  Weak, but gets to 70mph.  Got myself an '85 Kz1100.  I love it, but it's a whiney bitch until it warms up.

Both are inop at the moment.  The KZ has a leaky fork seal and the GS has a #4 carb that won't quit overflowing.  I have to get both up to the garage before the riding season and get them done.  ASAP.  

Wife absolutely LOVES riding.  She's a retired Chief, so knows her mind and is still a great wife.  A real country girl that can get things done and be a lady at the same time.  She's ready to get a newer and larger bike.  It would have been nice to get bigger and newer right off, but we didn't know if she'd really be good at it.  She was.  OP, sounds like your chick is ready to rock and roll, so I'd say get her something she'll be able to work her way into and enjoy for at least several years.

My advice?  Get new-ish.  I  enjoyed getting the two bikes right, but would rather not have to keep working on them.  I wished they both had fuel injection, because carbs suck ass.

I learned to ride street and got my license with an '83 CB1100F.  Just because it can go 140 doesn't mean you HAVE to go 140.  You can go at crawl speed, too.  Put time on them and get her riding well and safely.  Safety first, safety last, and safety in between.

Happy Woman, happy life.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Harley bikes are definitely a mindset. There is no "throw - away engineering".  They used the same parts over & over....
View Quote

That's because they went for fantastic marketing rather than anything resembling innovation or development.  EFI didn't even become standard until 2007!
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, I guess it's cheaper than rifles.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Suzuki Sv650.  Cheap, reliable, common, and easy to work on.  Plus, it was sold for a decade with nearly no changes, so parts are easy to find.

Oh, and it's a fantastic bike (I have 4 at the moment)
Well, I guess it's cheaper than rifles.  

ERhh.. uhh... ya.....

Ok, no

To be fair,  2 are dedicated track bikes, 1 is a a basket base I bought for parts,  and 1 I'm fixing up to sell.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#6]
No pics, no care. Just kidding, motorcycles are great fun. Do it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get her a car. The money you'll save on gas won't offset the money you'll spend on her health care after she gets hit by a car on her motorcycle.
This is true. No one that drives a car has ever ended up in the hospital.  

I have never been in the hospital from any car accident, but I have been in the hospital 4 times from motorcycle accidents over the last 45 years. I gave up motorcycles.

LMAO

45 years old, I am.
Have had bikes for 30 of them, I have
Hospital trips due to bikes? None I have

the poster above me, worng he does do it

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Saving gas with a motorcycle is worthless if you are dead.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saving gas with a motorcycle is worthless if you are dead.  

Hiding under the bed is worthless if you want to live
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:55:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
$6,000 budget you say?

Buy yourself a $5,500 motorcycle and get her a 1972 Yamaha IT175 for $500!!
View Quote

I had an IT175, loved that bike until I wrecked it to hell with other drivers, I don't trust me enough to ride anymore
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thank you for that insightful and informative post that answered my question and definitely would help me meet the desires of my girlfriend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for that insightful and informative post that answered my question and definitely would help me meet the desires of my girlfriend.

You'll eventually find out he is right.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:09:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Motherfucker. The first rule about FB CW is you don't talk about FB CW

You're from fucking East, aren't you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The very first thing you need to do is follow the rules...

The Colawarriors on FB have seen her. Go peep and puke and so can you

Motherfucker. The first rule about FB CW is you don't talk about FB CW

You're from fucking East, aren't you?

The first thing that crossed my mind...SMH
Kids theses days
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's because they went for fantastic marketing rather than anything resembling innovation or development.  EFI didn't even become standard until 2007!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Harley bikes are definitely a mindset. There is no "throw - away engineering".  They used the same parts over & over....

Thankfully yes.   A single, gravity fed carburetor that just works.  No in-tank electric fuel pump, computer, sensors...  and no 35 page troubleshooting guide with 9 additional pages of flow charts.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Suzuki Sv650.  Cheap, reliable, common, and easy to work on.  Plus, it was sold for a decade with nearly no changes, so parts are easy to find.

View Quote

If they are that good why do you need 3 spares? Parts?

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:34:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thankfully yes.   A single, gravity fed carburetor that just works.  No in-tank electric fuel pump, computer, sensors...  and no 35 page troubleshooting guide with 9 additional pages of flow charts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And goes hand-in-hand with all those racing championships in the 1930s!
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 -His/Hers track bikes.   1 - street bike I'm selling,   1 - old race bike I bought for it's fancy bits
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I need pictures
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet bikes. Diggin the MotoGuzzi. My friends dad has an old '67 one he's building. He has built it to be the most backwards thing ever. It has a Civic alternator on it. Left hand shift, left foot clutch. He's a steel worker and builds a bunch of stuff from scrap he finds at work. Has an old oil tank for the gas tank. He also built a dual carb manifold out of copper pipe. It's crazy. His other bike is an old Triumph that is equally raw built from scrap stuff.

I go by and see him about once a week and we sit on the porch and drink beer and watch "skirts" as he calls them walk by. He loves the Grom.

I need pictures

Yo Dan, you bought any bikes yet?

Finally got by the ol guys place and took some pics. I was wrong about the '67. Guzzi is a '70, and Triumph is a '63. I knew there was a 6 and a 7 in there somewhere.

Civic alternator, lol.

Hand shift and foot clutch. Left lever is for front brake. He has the clutch to where he can push it all the way down and it locks, so he can keep it in gear and take off from a red light easier.

When he got the bike it didn't have any of the rear brake linkage. Which they run from one side to the other. So he made a new setup out of cables and pulleys. He says "I like to see shit move man"

Manifold he built for the single carb.

Dual carb manifold.

The ol Triumph

Leo is a friend that still comes around every now and then. They've been riding since teenagers. Lots of good stories.

And here is his go ped he made from a $100 kit. got the bike for $10 at a yard sale.

The guzzi is wild though. I love how the motor sticks so far out of the frame. He wanted it to be so unorthodox that it was almost un-rideable.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:19:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I ain't bought shit yet cause there is snow and I haven't put all the cash together yet.

And your picks don't work.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I did not go through the thread, but would recommend letting her take a local MSF course.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make sure you point out what a great big ray of sunshine he is!!  LOL
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

These things happen.

Fortunately my girlfriend is content with the one kid I already have

But I might have to buy a Ural or something with a side car at some point.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Buy her a Honda rebel 250,it will be easy for her to handle
View Quote
Don't  do this.

If she HAS to have a 250, for whatever reason, get her something with upright seating position, so she can at least ride it on longer  trips.    Yamaha is still building the XT250.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I ain't bought shit yet cause there is snow and I haven't put all the cash together yet.

View Quote

Work for me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd recommend a CB 750 and 250 Nighthawk.

CB platform, you can still find them that haven't been run into the ground,
and they aren't really collectables so they prices are decent.

I bought my '97 for $1400 a few years ago w/ 35K.

I've put about another 30k on it (300 per week commute) and only changed tires, a battery, chains, and sprockets.

I'll be looking for a 250 for my daughter here shortly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:47:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Work for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Work for me.

Its not my fault you're bad at the internet
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:49:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Suzuki SV 650s

That's all you need to know.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Suzuki SV 650s

That's all you need to know.

No.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
About a month ago she laid down the law so to speak and told me what I will be doing this spring or else!

First that I have to get her old car fixed and sell it.

Then use the money to buy a pair of motorcycles and teach her to ride.

It looks like I will have a budget of about $5-6k so I should be able to get something decent enough for us to each ride to work and take on weekend trips (which is her plan, because she thinks taking bikes are the only way that I will actually go)

So what should I be looking for, ohh wise GD basement dwelling experts of all things?

We each have a daily commute of about 70-75 miles round trip, on the state highway and city streets.

Same brand would be nice for ease of maintenance and spare parts.

She is pretty small, but she teaches fitness classes, so as long as she can get leverage she can pick up most bikes.

Ohh and she wants me to shave my beard into mutton chops too.
View Quote

Say NO to shaving the beard. Always say NO to something especially when it involves you personally like your body. A woman will respect you more for standing up to her.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:05:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Work for me.

You sure it's not you? I have posted a pic or two before.

Also great title. Now look at mine.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
About a month ago she laid down the law ... or else!

First that I have to ....

So what should I be looking for, ohh wise GD basement dwelling experts of all things?

Ohh and she wants me to shave my beard into mutton chops too.
View Quote

A NEW GIRLFRIEND.  How is this even a question?

I'd be like.. Ok, Bye!  
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Anything less than 750cc will lose its appeal on a 75 mile commute.
View Quote

ETA:  Kidding aside, my SO rides (actually got me into riding) and alternates between a 2006 BMW F650GS and an 1998 BMW R1200C. Heated grips are nice in cooler weather.  Heated seat like on my K1600GT is also nice.  Both of hers are great bikes and good used examples could very well fit your budget.  As you may know, the maintenance on bikes is higher than a cheap commuter car, but much more fun.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Go home tonight, shut all the lights off, light a candle, maybe grab a frosty beverage and start Googling.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Go home tonight, shut all the lights off, light a candle, maybe grab a frosty beverage and start Googling.  

He'll need tequila for that.  Lots and lots of tequila.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:47:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Find someone to give you a two gore one deal on WRRs.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Work for me.

Ohh I'm sure, and someday I will summit club, because goals.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#35]
FCC must have imgur blocked for you.

It's happening.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#36]
All right I took a look at your pictures on my laptop, so you aren't a total internet failure.

And I've got a semi for those "gas tanks" that shit is hot.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's happening.
View Quote

Does that mean I'm ahead of or behind you on the FEMA hit list?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's happening.

Depends if RustedAce has something special planned in the swamp this year.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's happening.

I need to get down to the swamp eventually, that could be a fun trip on a bike, but the ride back would be brutal.

Hell CWE is a 9ish hour drive for me. CW itself would be a real hard push.  We need a CW Midwest.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#40]
You mean you let her out of the kitchen and bedroom?

There is your first mistake.....
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

My worst injuries were on street bikes, including a severely broken leg when I was hit by a car.

Anyway, i'll leave it with you guys. But close in saying I would never let a woman I love ride a motorcycle on a 75 mile daily commute. Put her in a car and keep her as safe as possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not a good argument against a street bike.

My worst injuries were on street bikes, including a severely broken leg when I was hit by a car.

Anyway, i'll leave it with you guys. But close in saying I would never let a woman I love ride a motorcycle on a 75 mile daily commute. Put her in a car and keep her as safe as possible.

You don't even have to make the argument about safety.  All you have to do is remind her how much better cars are for commuting 75 miles, especially if that's 1 way.  

Now, I love bikes and I really hate the whole "they are dangerous, nobody should ever ride them" gambit.  But I have to admit that (especially certain types of) bikes are less comfy to ride for distances than cars, especially to commute and have some major drawbacks that one trades for the experience of riding a bike (which no car can duplicate, IMHO).  

For a commuter bike, I'd be looking at a vstrom.  (or other larger bore dual sport).  They offer a more upright seating position, have good storage, and are much easier to find "make my life more comfortable" accessories for (like big windscreens, electric handwarmers, mounts, lights, luggage, etc.  Sure, you can find that stuff for other bikes, but not as easily.

I'm not one to go "for style points" so I think that's the other issue I like about dual sports:  They aren't an identity unto themselves like crotch rockets or cruisers are.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Are you allowed to whimper a bit when she takes the strap -on to you or do you have to remain silent, or get reamed harder?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#43]
So you both will be riding 75 miles per day to and from work. Hmm. What about in bad weather you still have a car?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#44]
I love the responses from the poor reading comprehension crowd, keep em coming!  Do we have any more ARFsharia posts about how women should be cloistered?
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top