BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get her a car. The money you'll save on gas won't offset the money you'll spend on her health care after she gets hit by a car on her motorcycle.
View Quote

Saving gas with a motorcycle is worthless if you are dead.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Considering she can rock crawl a jeep through Utah, I'm really not too worried about her ability to handle herself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eh, I'm not a huge fan of females riding motorcycles on the street. I would feel much better with my lady riding pillion than on her own bike.

But if you must, get her a 250 rebel or ninja/cbr to start out on

Considering she can rock crawl a jeep through Utah, I'm really not too worried about her ability to handle herself.

Crawl along at 1.5 MPH on a trail, or even off road dirt biking has risks.
Usually you are in control of the bike / jeep, and aware of where you are in space and time.

Much different on the road.

Get her a bike if she wants one, but just be aware that she may be the best rider known, and practicing everything safely, and still turn into a beautiful pink mist when some idiot decides they want to occupy the same space as she does while traveling 75 MPH
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Buy her a Honda rebel 250,it will be easy for her to handle
View Quote

Do not buy a Honda Rebel 250. It's a glorified moped. It does not have enough power to ride safely on a highway.

Neither does the Shadow 650. It has almost no acceleration above 65.

The Shadow 750 is faster and can get away from silly people on the road when you blip the throttle. I'm not familiar with the Yamaha and Suzuki cruisers, but you should be able to find them in that power range for your price. You might also find a Triumph America in your price range.

All of them are solid bikes with excellent reputations. They're all cruisers and fairly low to the ground, so she'll have no problem at traffic lights.

Anything less than 750cc will lose its appeal on a 75 mile commute.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Motards for everybody.

For a gun forum dedicated to evil black rifles, there sure are a lot of "you may get hurt" types.
View Quote

You and I,  we could be friends.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
The SV650s are a solid choice.  Since I'm a Yamaha man, I will suggest the FZ6.

Also, taking a riding class is a great idea before you buy.  I think women who ride are awesome...however, 3 of the 6 women I took a riding class with failed.  One dude laid a Buell blast down twice in practice and still managed to pass, so...yeah.

It's hard not to be sexist sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

From the good ole' days(around 1990)....yep I'm a slow learner

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-y75i-IZMUXU/SlpuD1WzORI/AAAAAAAAEH0/_uGEWeC4bnM/s800/cr500.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get her a car. The money you'll save on gas won't offset the money you'll spend on her health care after she gets hit by a car on her motorcycle.
This is true. No one that drives a car has ever ended up in the hospital.  

I have never been in the hospital from any car accident, but I have been in the hospital 4 times from motorcycle accidents over the last 45 years. I gave up motorcycles.

Sounds like you needed to give up trying to ride about 44.9 years ago.  Slow learner?

From the good ole' days(around 1990)....yep I'm a slow learner

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-y75i-IZMUXU/SlpuD1WzORI/AAAAAAAAEH0/_uGEWeC4bnM/s800/cr500.jpg

This is not a good argument against a street bike.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Motards for everybody.

For a gun forum dedicated to evil black rifles, there sure are a lot of "you may get hurt" types.
View Quote

I have said repeatedly, whilst shaking my head in disappointment, "This forum is loaded to the gunwales with hand-wringing old women."
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
About a month ago she laid down the law so to speak and told me what I will be doing this spring or else!

First that I have to get her old car fixed and sell it.

Then use the money to buy a pair of motorcycles and teach her to ride.

It looks like I will have a budget of about $5-6k so I should be able to get something decent enough for us to each ride to work and take on weekend trips (which is her plan, because she thinks taking bikes are the only way that I will actually go)

So what should I be looking for, ohh wise GD basement dwelling experts of all things?

We each have a daily commute of about 70-75 miles round trip, on the state highway and city streets.

Same brand would be nice for ease of maintenance and spare parts.

She is pretty small, but she teaches fitness classes, so as long as she can get leverage she can pick up most bikes.

Ohh and she wants me to shave my beard into mutton chops too.
View Quote

Were is the pic of her cleverage
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Truth, btw she loved your grom story
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Motards for everybody.

Truth, btw she loved your grom story

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bad idea.
There are two kinds of bikers. The ones that had accidents and the ones that will.
View Quote

Huurrrrrrrrrr!
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have never been in the hospital from any car accident, but I have been in the hospital 4 times from motorcycle accidents over the last 45 years. I gave up motorcycles.
View Quote

So fucking what?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like what you need is a couple of café racers.  I'm not sure how you're going to do that on $6K, though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#13]

You can ride bitch..cause you know why
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've gotta mirror this. I've seen far too many people injured and killed on them. They're great for cruising around on route 66 and other empty highways, but in a city and on a highway? Odds are that she'll end up hamburger. Hell we had one old bastard in our home town who intentionally hit and killed a motorcyclist, and to the judge said "You're goddamn right I hit him! They're nothing but dirty biker criminals"
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sounds like what you need is a couple of café racers.  I'm not sure how you're going to do that on $6K, though.
View Quote

Hence the thread.  

She really wanted the new Royal Enfield or a Triumph, but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Your balls; do you have them?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Buy her a Honda rebel 250,it will be easy for her to handle
View Quote

Ninja 300 at the very least...
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This is not a good argument against a street bike.
View Quote

My worst injuries were on street bikes, including a severely broken leg when I was hit by a car.

Anyway, i'll leave it with you guys. But close in saying I would never let a woman I love ride a motorcycle on a 75 mile daily commute. Put her in a car and keep her as safe as possible.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is true. No one that drives a car has ever ended up in the hospital.  

<Clint> "A Man needs to know his limitations"<Clint>
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#20]
If vintage Hondas are what you like, I'd start hitting craigslist.  They would fit in with the rockabilly crowd you mentioned if you chopped, bobed, or cafed one.

I'd make you a deal on a CB350 if you were in Indiana.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Buy some rain gear
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If vintage Hondas are what you like, I'd start hitting craigslist.  They would fit in with the rockabilly crowd you mentioned if you chopped, bobed, or cafed one.

I'd make you a deal on a CB350 if you were in Indiana.
View Quote

Just south of Broadripple
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Page 2 and GF pics still not loading....
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#24]
SV650 for sure

In your price range, bullet proof engines, extremely easy to work on and plentiful parts/knowledge around to fixing them.

Maybe grab a Ninja or CBR 250 for the little lady to learn on the first year...however, if she's a confident woman and knows her boundaries, learning on the SV would be just fine.

IMO, unless you're really into the style and lifestyle of cruisers, don't bother.  They're not ideal commuting bikes...hell, they're really not ideal anything bikes.  Slow, heavy, poor ergonomics, I could go on...
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Motards for everybody.

Just got the Grom. Love it. After the new wears off some I'm gonna look into getting a 450 motard. I'm having a lot of fun with this thing right now though and everything is cheap and super easy to work on. This was my first street bike but I've ridden dirtbikes most of my life, so naturally I gravitate towards a motard.

Dan if you can take back roads all the way in like me, I'd highly recommend the Grom if even just for her. My commute is 30 miles one way. Car + interstate = 30 mins. Grom + backroads = 45 minutes. Totally worth it though, and 100+ mpg.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#26]

If you carry a spare timing chain adjuster and chain guides and a shop manual.
Mrs Dagger had one and it was the most unreliable motorcycle we have ever owned.
Fucking engine had more rattles than a daycare centre and was constantly breaking down.
Got rid of it after 8000Km.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#27]
she's making you shave?  
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#28]
happy girlfriend happy life and all that

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just got the Grom. Love it. After the new wears off some I'm gonna look into getting a 450 motard. I'm having a lot of fun with this thing right now though and everything is cheap and super easy to work on. This was my first street bike but I've ridden dirtbikes most of my life, so naturally I gravitate towards a motard.

Dan if you can take back roads all the way in like me, I'd highly recommend the Grom if even just for her. My commute is 30 miles one way. Car + interstate = 30 mins. Grom + backroads = 45 minutes. Totally worth it though, and 100+ mpg.

http://i.imgur.com/I2Qigkb.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Motards for everybody.

Commute options are 35 miles of interstate or 30 miles of 2 lane state highway. Or 15 miles of state highway and 20 miles of county roads.

That Grom is cool as fuck, but I'm not sure if it will fit her style requirements.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
she's making you shave?  
View Quote

She isn't making me, but she is trying her damdest to convince me.  I did chips this fall fucking around trying to annoy her. It didn't work and now she keeps bringing it up. And gives the stink eye to our friends anyte they compliment my beard.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The very first thing you need to do is follow the rules...
View Quote

And a 13er had to point that out to you.    Good job 13er,
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Usually you are in control of the bike / jeep, and aware of where you are in space and time.

Get her a bike if she wants one, but just be aware that she may be the best rider known, and practicing everything safely, and still turn into a beautiful pink mist when some idiot decides they want to occupy the same space as she does while traveling 75 MPH
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eh, I'm not a huge fan of females riding motorcycles on the street. I would feel much better with my lady riding pillion than on her own bike.

And that is somehow different if the rider in question is a guy? Or if the female is riding pillion?

ETA: n/m, two different posters.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

And that is somehow different if the rider in question is a guy? Or if the female is riding pillion?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I broke my wrist last year on a trail at 10mph

Watched a girl get dumped off of a Harley in the middle of the road at ~25mph on Sunday.  Too many women place wayyy to much trust in the guys they ride with...
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Cuz otherwise I'm not really sure where you're coming from with the "females shouldn't ride their own bikes."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cuz otherwise I'm not really sure where you're coming from with the "females shouldn't ride their own bikes."

Yep. I've never been completely comfe with a second person on a bike. Solo seat is where its at.

Besides a chick that teaches kick boxing and Tia chi probably has better balance than I do.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Not what I was expecting to see when I hit on this thread
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#37]
The fatality rate per mile driven is THIRTY TIMES higher for motorcycles than for cars. Denial is an awesome tool.

THE FACTS
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I wouldn't want to commute on a bike and wouldn't want my wife on a bike every day. One for a weekend cruise is fine, but I'd like her to be in a cage the rest of he time... And by cage, I mean a 4x4 SUV or truck.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Two used DRZ400's or 650's and MSF courses for both of you. You can commute...as well as go on weekend rides...and not just on asphalt.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I wouldn't want to commute on a bike and wouldn't want my wife on a bike every day. One for a weekend cruise is fine, but I'd like her to be in a cage the rest of he time... And by cage, I mean a 4x4 SUV or truck.
View Quote

He daily driver is a 4wd Xterra that she is in love with, she wants to be able to ride the bike to work, not do it everyday. We do get snow and rain here after all.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The fatality rate per mile driven is THIRTY TIMES higher for motorcycles than for cars. Denial is an awesome tool.

THE FACTS
View Quote

Still don't see the point. Yes there are  risks involved with riding motorcycles. We all know that. Everyone in my family has been involved in some type of wreck so I'm no stranger to it either. Still enjoy riding it though even if I am a target
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A girl that would rather have her own cycle?  I'd eject on that.  You are the beta.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A girl that would rather have her own cycle?  I'd eject on that.  You are the beta.

Not all of us prefer sissified women that need to cling to our leg
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

THE FACTS
View Quote

If I die living it's not you're fucking problem.

Seal your ass back in the basement.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

THE FACTS
View Quote

You sound like a lib who advocates for gun control because someone could get hurt with a firearm. Everything we do in life comes with risk. The amount of risk a person chooses to assume is up to them to decide. You mitigate that risk on a bike with training and the proper protective equipment. Arguing that someone not paying attention might hit you is no different than a crack head popping you in the back with a Lorcin .25 auto for your wallet and his next fix. Yeah it could happen, but a defensive posture and situational awareness can prevent most incidents.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Occasional riding is probably more dangerous than commuting daily on a bike. Too many weekend warriors out there that forget how to ride a bike defensively and anticipate what other idiots might do. I've commuted daily on a bike for 4 years now. It's a perishable skill that needs to be practiced to maintain proficiency.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.   If you care about her, don't do it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Motards for everybody.

This my wife on her first bike out practicing in the court across from our house,

She got a MotoGuzzi also because she wanted to ride to work every once in a while and she just loved this thing when she saw it at the dealer.

She wrecked the little Kawasaki so I picked up a Husky TE250 to replace her poor little KLX250,  the supermoto conversion kit is on it's way now from Toxic Moto,  ( yes she still likes to ride you pussies )

This is my tard, KTM 525mxc

Whom ever mentioned the DRZ400sm for the OP is on the right track,  they'll do highway at 70mph all day long.   Good reliable bikes.  A little heavy but that's not a bad thing if you are going to spend time on the highway.   For him ( not her ) I'd pass on the DRZ and go right to a plated Yamaha WR450 if you can swing it in your state.   Still a reliable bike with more frequent maintenance intervals ( but not ridiculous ) and you'll love the 50lb less weight and 15 more HP than a DRZ.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Sometimes you have to take charge, and make your woman see the error of their ways. A woman Anyone riding a motorcycle 75 miles day during rush hour traffic is not a wise decision.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you for that insightful and informative post that answered my question and definitely would help me meet the desires of my girlfriend.

Sometimes you have to take charge, and make your woman see the error of their ways. A woman Anyone riding a motorcycle 75 miles day during rush hour traffic is not a wise decision.
FIFY.

And he has a solid point OP. Especially an inexperienced rider.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

THE FACTS
View Quote

Well, it's a good thing I ride my motorcycle 30,000 miles a year, yes, that's more than twice what the average American DRIVES per year.

What is LIFE if you don't LIVE in a way that makes you happy?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may be different where you live, but where I live there's no way I would commute on a motorcycle.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top