Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2015 11:13:57 PM EDT
The NSA Acknowledges What We All Feared: Iran Learns From US Cyberattacks

BY KIM ZETTER   02.10.15

After the Stuxnet digital weapon was discovered on machines in Iran in 2010, many security researchers warned that US adversaries would learn from this and other US attacks and develop similar techniques to target America and its allies.
A newly published document leaked by Edward Snowden indicates that the NSA feared the same thing and that Iran may already be doing exactly this. The NSA document from April 2013, published today by The Intercept, shows the US intelligence community is worried that Iran has learned from attacks like Stuxnet, Flame and Duqu—all of which were created by the same teams—in order to improve its own capabilities.

The document suggests that such attacks don’t just invite counterattacks but also school adversaries on new techniques and tools to use in their counterattacks, allowing them to increase the sophistication of these assaults. Iran, the document states, “has demonstrated a clear ability to learn from the capabilities and actions of others.”

The document, which was prepared for a meeting between the NSA director and the British spy agency Government Communications Headquarters, doesn’t mention the Stuxnet attack by name, but instead refers to “Western attacks against Iran’s nuclear sector.” Stuxnet targeted machines controlling centrifuges in Iran that were being used to enrich uranium for Iran’s program.

In addition to attacks against Iran’s nuclear sector, however, the document also states that Iran learned from a different attack that struck its oil industry. The report says Iran then replicated the techniques of that attack in a subsequent attack called Shamoon that targeted Saudi Arabia’s oil conglomerate, Saudi Aramco.

“Iran’s destructive cyber attack against Saudi Aramco in August 2012, during which data was destroyed on tens of thousands of computers, was the first such attack NSA has observed from this adversary,” the NSA document states. “Iran, having been a victim of a similar cyber attack against its own oil industry in April 2012, has demonstrated a clear ability to learn from the capabilities and actions of others.”

How Wiper Inspired Copycat Attacks

More at link
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#1]
In before nut huggers scream traitor.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#2]
In other news, plaintiffs were denied standing in a suit against the NSA, as they could not prove they were harmed by NSA's warrantless wiretapping.  I'm pretty sure the NSA is the larger danger to the Constitution than Iran @ this point.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:35:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:37:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In other news, plaintiffs were denied standing in a suit against the NSA, as they could not prove they were harmed by NSA's warrantless wiretapping.  I'm pretty sure the NSA is the larger danger to the Constitution than Iran @ this point.  
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Im sure this means we must give more money and freedom to the government.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Brown people have like brains and like can think and stuff? Who knew! Weird!
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Heh. I think I recognize that extension from something I just cleaned from my computer. (To my knowledge) Anything more and I'm just rambling. lol
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#8]
So you're trying to tell me that war technology still revolves around measure v. countermeasure?

No fucking way!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Meh
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yup. I love to post this quote:
"You can't have your privacy violated if you don't know your privacy is violated." Former Congressman Mike Rogers.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Stuxnet was d-u-m dumb and will bite us in the ass in a big way one day.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Let us know when you're ready to receive funding on anything addressing that post.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

As opposed to bombing and invading, which wouldn't have bit us in the ass at all and definitely wouldn't have pissed off the Russians or Chinese.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So you're trying to tell me that war technology still revolves around measure v. countermeasure?

No fucking way!
View Quote

Yep, in other news...

-Man lands on Moon!

-OP posts usual thread!

-Water is still wet!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As opposed to bombing and invading, which wouldn't have bit us in the ass at all and definitely wouldn't have pissed off the Russians or Chinese.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

America should just sit in the corner and let Russia and China run the world.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yep, in other news...

-Man lands on Moon!

-OP posts usual thread!

-Water is still wet!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No fucking way!

Yep, in other news...

-Man lands on Moon!

-OP posts usual thread!

-Water is still wet!

You realize that this thread is over a month old, right?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why bomb Iran and piss them off when you can leverage them against each other, with Iran being the loser when they do?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why bomb Iran and piss them off when you can leverage them against each other, with Iran being the loser when they do?
View Quote

That's like, immoral and wrong, dude.

How could you expect anyone to trust America as the leader of the free world if we get into underhanded dealings like that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:40:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No fucking way!

Yep, in other news...

-Man lands on Moon!

-OP posts usual thread!

-Water is still wet!

just got linked to it.

Deal with it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Teaching angry furriners how to literally destroy machines with naughty code is bad stuff

I'm no interventionist, but better we bomb than this, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

just got linked to it.

Deal with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No fucking way!

Yep, in other news...

-Man lands on Moon!

-OP posts usual thread!

-Water is still wet!

just got linked to it.

Deal with it.

Was I talking to you? Was that your name in quotes that I directed my comment to? No... Then stfu.

The guy I quoted said I was posting a "usual thread". I was pointing out that the thread wasn't posted recently.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Brown people have like brains and like can think and stuff? Who knew! Weird!
View Quote

Persians are Caucasians

Eta.  Ok. Sarcasm meter.  

Yes.  Only idiots would lump Persians in with the other inhabitants of that region
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top