Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#1]
my dash cam saved my ass from a scammer that drove into the side of my truck. they we all crying foul that I cut them off. They were all crying injury. I sent the dash cam video to my insurance and to the police. they ended up going to jail for insurance fraud.

save my ass.  well worth the 60 bucks for that camera off ebay.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been using a Genius DVR-FHD568 for well over a year now and very happy with it.
Takes great hi-res video and has a very wide field of view. Not sure how they did it but night video is very very good.
Using a 32GB SD card and setting the resolution @ 720p gives it a loop time of 8 hours.
I leave it on all the time and have yet to see any drain issues on my truck battery, the unit uses very little power.

Got it on sale for $100.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine is old and works fine, nearly paid for itself the first week I got it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
my dash cam saved my ass from a scammer that drove into the side of my truck. they we all crying foul that I cut them off. They were all crying injury. I sent the dash cam video to my insurance and to the police. they ended up going to jail for insurance fraud.

save my ass.  well worth the 60 bucks for that camera off ebay.
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Any of them that can be permanently wired in?    

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty sure you can do that with any of them.
All you need is a 12V source, full time or switched with ACC.

Mine is just plugged in to the lighter port that is live all the time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#7]
just ordered a second G1W from Estore2009 on Ebay and a couple of the Transcend 32gb class 10 micro sd's. I have had my original G1W for about a year now without a hiccup. Bought this second one for the wife.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, ANY of them can be permanently wired.  You can go with the brand specific hardwire kit, or a DIY hardwire kit if the manufacturer doesn't offer one.

I use a BlackVue Power Magic to run my Timtec RoadhawkHD (forward facing) and Mobius ActionCam (rear facing) cameras.  The Mobius requires a 5 volt power input, so I simply installed a LM2596 step-down voltage regulator between the BlackVue Power Magic's 12v supply and the Mobius ActionCam.

Mine is a very clean install.

The only cool thing I've caught on the camera array, is me avoiding a suicidal squirrel, lol.  I need to stitch the front and rear videos together and post it sometime.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes, ANY of them can be permanently wired.  You can go with the brand specific hardwire kit, or a DIY hardwire kit if the manufacturer doesn't offer one.

I use a BlackVue Power Magic to run my Timtec RoadhawkHD (forward facing) and Mobius ActionCam (rear facing) cameras.  The Mobius requires a 5 volt power input, so I simply installed a LM2596 step-down voltage regulator between the BlackVue Power Magic's 12v supply and the Mobius ActionCam.

The only cool thing I've caught on the camera array, is me avoiding a suicidal squirrel, lol.  I need to stitch the front and rear videos together and post it sometime.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.....probably wired for accessory input.     Where to access (on different vehicles)?    Find an un-used fuse?    Where to mount?

(We have 3 active vehicles and 1 inactive..until the older daughter comes home from school).    Had a case recently where it would have come in handy...leaving a parking lot with a green light...the guy turning into the lot ran the red light...fortunately I was able to stop and avoid the accident...but if we had crashed, would have been his word against mine as to what the light was doing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#10]
My g1w started acting up after a month. Do NOT restore it to factory default! Now everything is in Russian and I have no idea how to get it back to English. But after the restore, it began working correctly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread is why I bought a G1W from Spy Tec ($57.95 delivered). I love it. Claims to be the original, not the cheap imitation clone version being sold elsewhere.
I bought a 32 GB class 4 card and have had no problems. Great video and decent sound. I find that at 1080 I can get about 5 hours of loop time.
Now my next project is to hard wire it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife's dashcam caught this incident while recording and we were able to get the footage to the State Troopers working the accident.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
just ordered a second G1W from Estore2009 on Ebay and a couple of the Transcend 32gb class 10 micro sd's. I have had my original G1W for about a year now without a hiccup. Bought this second one for the wife.
View Quote

You may want to do some research on the class 10 card in these cameras. Everything I found said to use class 4 or 6, because 10 sucks in these units.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I have had the LUKAS LK-7900 ACE for the last 14 months and it's working very well. $207

1080P and good evening video. Records audio (or not), GPS, inertia displays, one push button to save off a scene.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KgKq9aghL._SL1000_.jpg
View Quote
I have the same.

A quick clip I took off it to show the dealer the starter noise my truck made. Only happened the one time and has never happened again.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is it normal for the internal battery to only last a few minutes....do I need to keep the cord connected at all times?
View Quote

Yes, the capacitor model should be very little time on. It saves on the size because as long as the hardline is powered it will be running. The nice thing about the battery ones is that you can set them to keep recording for a few minutes after the power is cut, incase the accident kills the car battery connection some how.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My g1w started acting up after a month. Do NOT restore it to factory default! Now everything is in Russian and I have no idea how to get it back to English. But after the restore, it began working correctly.
View Quote

You may have gotten a fake one.

Mine resets to english.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm still debating whether or not to hack my own together with a Raspberry Pi, or just be lazy and buy one that doesn't do everything I wished it did.
View Quote

What do you want one to do that the current versions don't?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I ordered a G1W from an Amazon seller a while back.  Turned out to be a counterfeit that is mediocre at best.  At least they refunded half my money when I complained. Wasn't worth pursuing beyond that.  I still use it, but I want to get a better one at some point.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Apparently the G1W-C is the one for the cold, it uses a capacitor instead of a battery.

When it's down below 10 or so mine freezes on start up, if I bring it in the house it works fine. I need to upgrade to the capacitor model.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The G1W is a good little unit.

Doesn't work the best when it super cold out though.

eh...coldest it gets here is the teens...and not very often.

Apparently the G1W-C is the one for the cold, it uses a capacitor instead of a battery.

When it's down below 10 or so mine freezes on start up, if I bring it in the house it works fine. I need to upgrade to the capacitor model.

Nope.  Capacitor is for when it's super hot out so the battery doesn't explode.

I suppose that it's possible that the cap might help in the cold too, but none of my research suggested that.  The capacitor model was always recommended for warm climate use because batts can have issues in the heat.

I've used my G1W-H is weather well below 0, and have had no issues other than the LCD screen getting a bit grainy. Video quality hasn't suffered though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#20]
My wife has the Kim Komando recorder. It records front and rear video. She loves it. She wanted one after a bicyclist cut in front of her and she almost flattened him.

http://shop.komando.com/the-komando-dual-lens-dash-cam-bundle
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is it normal for the internal battery to only last a few minutes....do I need to keep the cord connected at all times?
View Quote

Yes.  The battery just gives it time to save the data, and maybe give you a couple minutes of record time if you need to take it out and record crash damage.  

Generally, the cam should be hooked up in such a way that when you turn on the car,  the camera turns on too, and when you shut off the car the cam shuts off too.  Either plug it into a cig lighter that only has power when the ignition is on, or hardwire it to an ignition power only fuse.  I hardwired mine into my radio fuse.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes.  The battery just gives it time to save the data, and maybe give you a couple minutes of record time if you need to take it out and record crash damage.  

Generally, the cam should be hooked up in such a way that when you turn on the car,  the camera turns on too, and when you shut off the car the cam shuts off too.  Either plug it into a cig lighter that only has power when the ignition is on, or hardwire it to an ignition power only fuse.  I hardwired mine into my radio fuse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well..the car is new..so obviously I need to be careful of what I play with...although the hard wire kit looks like a straight up installation.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

well..the car is new..so obviously I need to be careful of what I play with...although the hard wire kit looks like a straight up installation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You shouldn't need to solder anything. I built my own kit using a step-down, fuse tap, and USB cable.  Bought it all on amazon for about 12 bucks.  Install took maybe 15 minutes.  I can post the stuff I bought if you want.  From that point, all you have to do is find a fuse in the dash that is powered in ACC/ON only.  Anyone with even a tiny bit of mechanical ability can do it no problem.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I use an old GoPro Hero 1. Its less than Ideal but the video quality is high.

I'd like to go with something smaller and less conspicuous.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You shouldn't need to solder anything. I built my own kit using a step-down, fuse tap, and USB cable.  Bought it all on amazon for about 12 bucks.  Install took maybe 15 minutes.  I can post the stuff I bought if you want.  From that point, all you have to do is find a fuse in the dash that is powered in ACC/ON only.  Anyone with even a tiny bit of mechanical ability can do it no problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well...I did spend 20+ years as an ASE Tech.... just unfamiliar with the tech.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's what I did:

This plus this plus this

I followed these instructions HERE.  Of course, I used my own and not theirs, but the idea is the same.

Simple but effective.  And much cheaper than buying a pre-built kit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks.....probably wired for accessory input.     Where to access (on different vehicles)?    Find an un-used fuse?   Where to mount?

(We have 3 active vehicles and 1 inactive..until the older daughter comes home from school).    Had a case recently where it would have come in handy...leaving a parking lot with a green light...the guy turning into the lot ran the red light...fortunately I was able to stop and avoid the accident...but if we had crashed, would have been his word against mine as to what the light was doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.....probably wired for accessory input.     Where to access (on different vehicles)?    Find an un-used fuse?   Where to mount?

The easiest thing to do is get a piggyback fuse setup called "Add A Circuit" or "Add A Fuse".  Just make sure it's got the correct spade terminal for your fuse type.  Newer generally uses "ATO" type, but you could possibly have "ATM".  Compare the types on Google and Amazon.com to what your fuses look like.

The Blackvue Power Magic and Power Magic Pro (there are two outputs on the Power Magic Pro, but I parallel both cam power off a regular Power Magic) has a low voltage cut-off so you don't drain your battery if you have your cam wired into a constant supply, and/or a timer to cut the power off at a specific amount of user selectable timers.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My wife's dashcam caught this incident while recording and we were able to get the footage to the State Troopers working the accident.
View Quote

Well that was useless.   Get your video back up.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Here's what I did:

This plus this plus this

I followed these instructions HERE.  Of course, I used my own and not theirs, but the idea is the same.

View Quote

The vendor I bought the camera from [Spy-Tec] had his hardwire kits on sale for 10 bucks...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The vendor I bought the camera from [Spy-Tec] had his hardwire kits on sale for 10 bucks...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's what I did:

This plus this plus this

Ah, then that's a good deal and worth picking up.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top