BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When supernova 1987A blew, you would have absorbed a lethal dose of neutrinos at 1AU.
View Quote
XKCD is good stuff.  https://what-if.xkcd.com/73/

Click on the image in this one to enlarge it.  http://xkcd.com/681/
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a hexagon on Saturn:

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#3]
This is BX442. At 10.7 years ago this is the oldest observed spiral galaxy we know of.  That's right, the light you are seeing in this photo is 10,700,000,000 years old.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My 8 year old daughter just asked me if there is a planet with dragons...

I showed her the Andromada image and let her see for herself that by the numbers... There most likely is a dragon planet...

She is super excited...
View Quote

You didn't tell her about that planet in the Rukbat system?  For shame!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Bump.

Is is gay to bang trannies:  40 pages.

Awesome science:  31 replies.  
View Quote
This explains the popularity of the Kardashians.

Cool thread
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is BX442. At 10.7 years ago this is the oldest observed spiral galaxy we know of.  That's right, the light you are seeing in this photo is 10,700,000,000 years old.

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/.a/6a00d8341bf7f753ef019101a4fb28970c-pi

View Quote

Just to be clear, the left image is what we can resolve currently using Hubble and the right image is an artist's concept of what BX442 and its dwarf companion might look like.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
ok that made me stop and think

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Awesome video.  Do they know what causes the hexagon?

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just to be clear, the left image is what we can resolve currently using Hubble and the right image is an artist's concept of what BX442 and its dwarf companion might look like.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/.a/6a00d8341bf7f753ef019101a4fb28970c-pi

Correct.  I found a better pic without the artists version.  I did the calcs and resolving that galaxy is about equal to spotting a penny at a mile.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It has to do with the fact that gas giants rotate slower at the poles (think length of day, not surface speed)  than they do at the equator:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn's_hexagon

Vid of experiment at Oxford replicating the phenomenon:

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It has to do with the fact that gas giants rotate slower at the poles (think length of day, not surface speed)  than they do at the equator:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn's_hexagon

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that seems a heck of a lot  more fun than my research.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#13]
A Pulsar (highly magnetic neutron star) rotates 716 per second. Think about it. It's about 5 times the size of the earth and spins at 716 full rotations per second!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#14]
For a comparison to the farthest galaxy lets look at the closest, Andromeda.  This image is equivalent to taking a picture of a football field at 1 mile.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A Pulsar (highly magnetic neutron star) rotates 716 per second. Think about it. It's about 5 times the size of the earth and spins at 716 full rotations per second!
View Quote

A pulsar can't get much larger than about 30 miles across.. Any larger and it becomes a black hole..

Most pulsars and varieties of neutron stars are around 15-20 miles across but have the mass of 3-5 suns..

A sugar cube of neutron star material weighs billions of tons..
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fascinating.  And that's practically on our doorstep.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
This is the crab nebula:

High Res

There is a pulsar left over in the center of that big ball of gas.  Here is what it looks like in the X-Ray:

High Res

Size comparison:

What you are looking at is a disk of high energy particles orbiting and falling into the star.  Some of the particles that fall in don't actually hit the star and are shot out in jets perpendicular to the plane of the disk.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
A pulsar can't get much larger than about 30 miles across.. Any larger and it becomes a black hole..

Most pulsars and varieties of neutron stars are around 15-20 miles across but have the mass of 3-5 suns..

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know if thats accurate, but there is a star in the Tarantula Nebula spinning about 100x faster then the sun, and due to the rate of rotation and size is at about the limit, any faster and it will come apart.

IIRC its noticeable flattened due to this. It was a while ago that I read about it. if I find the article I'll post it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#20]
PSR J1748-2446ad is the fastest-spinning pulsar known, at 716 Hz (period being 0.00139595482(6) seconds).[2] This pulsar was discovered by Jason W. T. Hessels of McGill University on November 10, 2004 and confirmed on January 8, 2005.

It has been calculated that the neutron star contains slightly less than two times the mass of the Sun, within the typical range of neutron stars. Its radius is constrained to be less than 16 km. At its equator it is spinning at approximately 24% of the speed of light, or over 70,000 km per second.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
PSR J1748-2446ad is the fastest-spinning pulsar known, at 716 Hz (period being 0.00139595482(6) seconds).[2] This pulsar was discovered by Jason W. T. Hessels of McGill University on November 10, 2004 and confirmed on January 8, 2005.

It has been calculated that the neutron star contains slightly less than two times the mass of the Sun, within the typical range of neutron stars. Its radius is constrained to be less than 16 km. At its equator it is spinning at approximately 24% of the speed of light, or over 70,000 km per second.
View Quote

Sorry about that, I was thinking the size of earth and you're correct, it's mass.   Love this thread
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Very simple video to try to imagine 10 dimensions

http://youtu.be/gg85IH3vghA

View Quote

23 mins in and already mind=blown.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Wonder how those X-Ray images were taken? In order to take an image you need a lens or mirror and lenses and mirrors should absorb the x-rays right?  You use a sires of tapered tubes.  The x-rays coming in at a low angle skip off the surface of the tube like skipping a rock on a pond and get focused like a lens.

XMM-Newton

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just wait till we get closeups of Pluto.  The probe is about as far away from pluto right now as the earth is from the sun:  

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9B39ZzIMAAIWLK.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome photo. Seriously awesome.

As someone else said, I didn't even realize we had photos like this yet. Thank you for sharing.

This.

It's astounding how much progress we've made in astronomy and physics in the last couple decades. When I was in college we still didn't have any direct evidence of exoplanets at all and now we've got pictures like this.
Just wait till we get closeups of Pluto.  The probe is about as far away from pluto right now as the earth is from the sun:  

The Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, the discoverer of Pluto, is having a lot of programs in March in anticipation of the spacecraft's pass.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Butterfly Nebula:

High Res

Not to be confused with M2-9, the wings of a butterfly nebula:

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Comet Ikeya-Zhang:

A different comet picking a fight with the sun:

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:10:11 PM EDT
[#27]
This kind of shit interests the fuck out of me, but the junior level astronomy class I'm taking right now is straight up kicking my stupid ass.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:16:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, the discoverer of Pluto, is having a lot of programs in March in anticipation of the spacecraft's pass.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome photo. Seriously awesome.

As someone else said, I didn't even realize we had photos like this yet. Thank you for sharing.

This.

It's astounding how much progress we've made in astronomy and physics in the last couple decades. When I was in college we still didn't have any direct evidence of exoplanets at all and now we've got pictures like this.

... cool, I'll be in Flagstaff next month
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:49:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Do you know what neutrinos and I have in common?  We're both constantly penetrating your mother.  
View Quote

Ha a scientist bar joke.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:34:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Awesome thread

The size/scope of the known universe is simply mind blowing.

For Amazon Prime subscribers here's a couple good shows/series they currently have streaming for free -

The Fabric of the Cosomos

Cosmic Journeys

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#31]
thanks for the great thread
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
NASA decided it wanted to collect samples of material from a comets tail to see what it was made of.  How did they capture the particles? The worlds most advanced and lightest ballistics gel:

http://stardust.jpl.nasa.gov/images/gallery/aerogel_tracks.jpg

View Quote

Aerogel is some cool shit.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#33]
This one is for Jinxsters.  The Romans said that Phobos and Deimos ruled the battlefield.  For the uniformed Mars is the Roman god of war and Phobos and Deimos are the gods of fear and dread respectively.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Please dont stop, i love this thread
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Very cool thread.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Ever think the universe hates you? Get a big telescope to confirm:

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:16:29 AM EDT
[#37]
My favorite constellation is Orion. It contains 3 Messier objects; M42, M43 and M78

M42 is called the Horsehead Nebula. It's easy to spot with the naked eye and you can see the horse detail with just binoculars. It's located at Alnitak, the first star in Orion's Belt. (contrary to what Zed says in MIB)

With a decent enthusiast telescope, you can get an image close to this:

Step it up to Hubble Infra-red, and you get this:

Like the famous Pillars of Creation in the Eagle Nebula, the Horsehead Nebula is also a star nursery

Next up is M43, AKA the Orion Nebula.

It's located near the middle of the "sword sheath" below Orion's belt. It's said to be the easiest nebula to see with the naked eye.

There are stars being born here too.

M78 is a reflection nebula. If you draw a line between Alnitak and Betelgeuse, M78 is just outside it to the left. (closer to Alnitak)

It's much harder to see than M42 and M43 but still is fantastic to see with enough magnification and resolution.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#38]
On March 12th NASA is launching a probe to investigate how ejecta from the sun interacts with the Earth's magnetosphere:  http://mms.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Mission overview:

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Fascinating.
View Quote

Indeed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Planets orbits are not circular, they're elliptical, or in other words oval shaped.  These orbits precess over time.  This means that the the point in the orbit farthest from the sun moves over the years:

Earth axis of rotation is also tilted 23° away from the line perpendicular from our plane of orbit.  This tilt which gives us our seasons also precesses:

Earth's axis precession takes 26,000 years a cycle so we won't need a new north star anytime soon.

Due to the Sun's gravity warping space-time Mercury's orbit precession can't be explained through Newton's laws of gravity.  We had to wait for Einstein's law of general relativity for a predictive model.  Calculations predict that Mercury's orbit varies enough that it has a 1% chance of colliding with Venus in the next few billion years.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:39:59 AM EDT
[#41]
I can't wait for this, need to find a remote spot somewhere in SC to observe it.

Total Solar Eclipse 8.21.2017
http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:22:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
NASA decided it wanted to collect samples of material from a comets tail to see what it was made of.  How did they capture the particles? The worlds most advanced and lightest ballistics gel:

http://stardust.jpl.nasa.gov/images/gallery/aerogel_tracks.jpg

View Quote

Aerogels are amazing in about the same way as the Shuttle tiles are.

Ridiculously well insulation combined with very low weight.

They aren't very similar in reality, but they are in the way that they're amazingly weird  materials with extreme properties.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:25:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This makes me laugh way more than it should:

http://youtu.be/LEdYf4SGhuI

View Quote

Didn't know that there was a NASA blooper reel  

But any of those could have been a life-threatening event in reality.

I'm sometimes amazed that the Apollo program never had any casualties during flight.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:51:55 AM EDT
[#44]

"Uranus (2.6 m in diameter) was vandalized and the new model is planned for somewhere in Gävle, 143 km from the Globe."
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:39:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Astronomers have discovered a black hole with 12,000,000,000 solar masses!  The event horizon (Schwartzchild radius) reaches out as far as the distance from the Sun to Pluto!  

This is current news, just released.  Scary Huge Black Hole
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:16:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Has a list been started for anyone who wants to go?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Right now the odds are pointing towards the universe ending in heat death long after the sun dies out.  Basically the the universe will expand faster than gravity can pull matter together.  If humans don't colonize other planets (which is impossible for the foreseeable future) the sun will kill us if we or an impact don't do us in.  

ETA: Evolution could do us in in a number of ways too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since what we see is light years old history, how much warning do we get when our universe has some final ending?

Light seems to lie to us, not telling us what's now - it tells us what was.

Just thinking out loud, actually thought of this last week - but it took this long to get posted.
Right now the odds are pointing towards the universe ending in heat death long after the sun dies out.  Basically the the universe will expand faster than gravity can pull matter together.  If humans don't colonize other planets (which is impossible for the foreseeable future) the sun will kill us if we or an impact don't do us in.  

ETA: Evolution could do us in in a number of ways too.

You mean like a shark-velociraptor-santa hybrid with an inherent zombie virus?  `cause that's the direction I always imagined evolution heading...
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I always wondered about this myself.  If you could place a super powerful telescope 100 light years away, pointed at the earth, you'd be able to see a 'live' view from 100 years ago.  I don't believe time travel is possible, but this makes it theoretically possible to have a window looking at the past.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since what we see is light years old history, how much warning do we get when our universe has some final ending?

Just thinking out loud, actually thought of this last week - but it took this long to get posted.

I always wondered about this myself.  If you could place a super powerful telescope 100 light years away, pointed at the earth, you'd be able to see a 'live' view from 100 years ago.  I don't believe time travel is possible, but this makes it theoretically possible to have a window looking at the past.

Math, you would see 200 years back. 100 years to the telescope, then 100 years from telescope to you on earth. Unless you figure out a way to send the information faster than light.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or better yet, find a unique geometry of space that allows a near 180degree bend in the light incident from earth's AoA.  This way we can keep the telescope local and see back 2x as far...  Resolutions be damned!
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#50]
I need to read this at home so I can see the whole picture

Rather than scroll around on my phone.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top