Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/1/2015 2:19:37 PM EDT
The Pa State Police had the Glock 45 gap for about 6 years or more and then got g21 gen 4 but sent them all back after about 6month or so . What was their problem ?????????? Now they have Sig 227 that cost a lot more . When I worked for the state they were broke.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#1]
A trooper friend said "there were reports of slides locking back on partially full magazines."

I'm not sure how that can even happen... aside from operator error?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A trooper friend said "there were reports of slides locking back on partially full magazines."

View Quote

That or if someone took it apart and put the slide stop lever in wrong.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I heard it was because they didn't want every trooper issued a grenade
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#4]
We've carried Glock 22 for the past 20 years and they perform well (approx 2000 sworn)

Indiana State Police have used Glock 22, Glock 17 and Glock 21s over the past five years but recently switched to P227

I picked one up and its a solid gun, reliable, accurate Sig quality.

That said I prefer the Glock 21 for a work .45
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#5]
My LGS had a PA police trade in for sale a few weeks back and it was tempting. Gen 4, all 3 mags and accessories, night sights, etc.

But the price was $565 not including tax, background check, etc. And that didn't seem like something I wanted to spend...
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember reading that the Gen4 had teething issues when it was first introduced. See if you can find in references to that. As far as I know, the bugs were eventually worked out.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I remember reading that the Gen4 had teething issues when it was first introduced. See if you can find in references to that. As far as I know, the bugs were eventually worked out.

View Quote

No issues with mine. I've put about 1000 rounds through it so far (it's my EDC, so I shoot it every week or so)...
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like any agency, gun selection is 90% what the guy in charge wants to claim as "his unique decision". Waste of tax payers money but what else is new
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Nashville PD issues Glock 22's. They worked fine for many years until officers started putting lights on them. Now they have separate ammo for the guns with lights and the ones without as far as practice ammo. So far they still issue the same duty ammo, but no one feels so fantastic about it after seeing failures with the practice ammo.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#10]
The trigger bar was somehow locking up the gun.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#11]
All I know is I want to get my hands on one
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I heard it was because they didn't want every trooper issued a grenade
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Now they have separate ammo for the guns with lights and the ones without as far as practice ammo....
View Quote

What fer?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I work for the company that handled the transaction between the PA State Police and Sig.  We purchased all of the Gen 4 21 trade-ins, aside from the guns that were bought back by the individual officers.  Right around 70 percent of the guns were purchased back by the officers, so I am pretty sure there wasn't anything wrong with them.  The whole deal was more or less politics.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My LGS had a PA police trade in for sale a few weeks back and it was tempting. Gen 4, all 3 mags and accessories, night sights, etc.

But the price was $565 not including tax, background check, etc. And that didn't seem like something I wanted to spend...
View Quote

where was the lgs? i wouldnt mind picking up a leo gen 4 trade in but that price seems high.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nashville PD issues Glock 22's. They worked fine for many years until officers started putting lights on them. Now they have separate ammo for the guns with lights and the ones without as far as practice ammo. So far they still issue the same duty ammo, but no one feels so fantastic about it after seeing failures with the practice ammo.
View Quote

I've had a light on a G17.  I never had any failures due to it being attached.  Might just be a G22 thing?  Not that I'm saying what you are saying is false, just that in 9mm, the problem didn't show itself.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I work for the company that handled the transaction between the PA State Police and Sig.  We purchased all of the Gen 4 21 trade-ins, aside from the guns that were bought back by the individual officers.  Right around 70 percent of the guns were purchased back by the officers, so I am pretty sure there wasn't anything wrong with them.  The whole deal was more or less politics.
View Quote

Sounds about right. Never had an issue with my gen4 21.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've had a light on a G17.  I never had any failures due to it being attached.  Might just be a G22 thing?  Not that I'm saying what you are saying is false, just that in 9mm, the problem didn't show itself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are known issues with G22s and G23s with lights attached to them...google has a bunch of hits.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#19]
There were serious issues with the guns. Both the trigger failing to reset and the slide sticking to the rear,(it wasn't locking back, just sticking). The guns issued in the field didn't show any problems because they only fired a few hundred rounds during the transition training. It was the guns issued to the Cadets that were firing upwards of 1,000 rounds that were starting to have problems.

After a few months, they pulled guns in from the field and started putting more rounds through them. After around 1,000 rounds, SOME, NOT ALL of them started having problems too. There was also the issue of feeding. Not long after they were issued, we were told to download all of our mags by one round. I heard the State wanted them all replaced and Glock said they would only replace them as they broke. That was not acceptable so we dumped them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I seem to remember that it had to do with NDs.  I may be remembering incorrectly though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Sig > Glock.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Forgot to add, I've been on the job going on 23 years and I've been a Firearms Instructor with the dept. for 17 years so I've seen quite a few rouds put down range by our guys.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I was wondering what the story was on these.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There are known issues with G22s and G23s with lights attached to them...google has a bunch of hits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My G23 has the light issue

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, I had to update the magazine springs in my 23 when I put a light on it.  It had been very reliable until the light was added.  

I've never heard of a problem with the 9mm models.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is odd i have only used my light on my g21. ill have to try it on my g23 and see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got an early G21 Gen4 with about 1200 rounds downrange, much of that during classes. I can only recall 1 FTF that I believe was ammo related, but anything can happen.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#28]
All I know is that I snagged a PA state trooper G21 yrade in for $455 shipped.  3 mags, night sights, everything it came with.  

I have about 20K rounds of 45 stashed so I'll let ya'll know how bad it runs afterI pick it up tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a family member in LE and they switch guns every few years because they can...and they also get pretty damn good deals in buying there service weapons back.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sig > Glock.  
View Quote

This has been clear from the beginning, to all except the fanboys. Glocks are bare-bones, utilitarian, un-ergonomic, blocky, featureless pistols.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

that is odd i have only used my light on my g21. ill have to try it on my g23 and see what happens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was pretty obvious. 100% reliable with no light. Put the light on, multiple malfunctions with multiple ammo types. Remove light, 100% again.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Like any agency, gun selection is 90% what the guy in charge wants to claim as "his unique decision". Waste of tax payers money but what else is new
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winner, their Super didn't like Glock. Now they're having FTE/FTF issues with the P227.

20 OIS incidents since we got the GAP. All have been very positive. Very reliable and accurate. The only people who hate the guns are the ones who haven't shot them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glock stated that the grips thickness was too much for the trooper's with smaller hands. So your Trooper friend doesn't know too much.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Glock stated that the grips thickness was too much for the trooper's with smaller hands. So your Trooper friend doesn't know too much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like Glock would say if PSP was saying it was due to an issue, even if the issue was made up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Like Glock would say if PSP was saying it was due to an issue, even if the issue was made up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt that though, the G21 (all generations) have been very reliable. But, even though they were Gen 4's, some of those with teenage girls hands had issues with offhand grip, which PA trains in various scenario's.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, a PSP firearms instructor confirmed a few posts above yours that there were issues with slides sticking back and triggers not resetting.  You can either believe the guy responsible for teaching troopers how to shoot, or the company that built faulty firearms. I'll leave that choice up to you.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I think the trigger bar issue is true .
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually the guy in charge  wanted to keep the Glock. Glock continually failed to deliver satisfactory pistols.  The malfunction was caused by the trigger bar / cruciform in essence wedging the slide open.  

Indiana State Police had the same problem and subsequently went to the SIG.

Me?  I like my G21s all of them run great.  It's sad to see Glock had QC problems.  I know the troopers I talked to that had 21s that worked, liked them.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The Pa State Police had the Glock 45 gap for about 6 years or more and then got g21 gen 4 but sent them all back after about 6month or so . What was their problem ?????????? Now they have Sig 227 that cost a lot more . When I worked for the state they were broke.
View Quote

My buddy is a ST there and he said that a few females had some malfunctions with the G21 so SIG swooped in and saved the day.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Sig > Glock.  
View Quote

Pfffftttt!

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There were serious issues with the guns. Both the trigger failing to reset and the slide sticking to the rear,(it wasn't locking back, just sticking). The guns issued in the field didn't show any problems because they only fired a few hundred rounds during the transition training. It was the guns issued to the Cadets that were firing upwards of 1,000 rounds that were starting to have problems.

After a few months, they pulled guns in from the field and started putting more rounds through them. After around 1,000 rounds, SOME, NOT ALL of them started having problems too. There was also the issue of feeding. Not long after they were issued, we were told to download all of our mags by one round. I heard the State wanted them all replaced and Glock said they would only replace them as they broke. That was not acceptable so we dumped them.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

How much did the Officers pay? 70% I'm thinking a sweetheart deal.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Whatever! I shoot 10, no 50 times more than any PSP shoots in a year, and mine is just fine, in fact my favorite go to gun. So, I call B.S., in fact I called Glock awhile back to make sure an upgrade wouldn't violate my warranty. So believe the friend, of a friend, of a friend for all I care. I know the real deal.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think the trigger bar issue is true .
View Quote

NO, it wasn't, because that was an issue with the Glock 30SF's 4-5 years ago. Damn, doesn't anyone research shit before they spout nonsense, and half truths?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Everytime read something like this I call the department and speak to their rangemaster.  I'd guess over the years I'd go with 30% total fabrication,  30% conjecture,  30% combination,  10% retardation.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Whatever! I shoot 10, no 50 times more than any PSP shoots in a year, and mine is just fine, in fact my favorite go to gun. So, I call B.S., in fact I called Glock awhile back to make sure an upgrade wouldn't violate my warranty. So believe the friend, of a friend, of a friend for all I care. I know the real deal.
View Quote
Wow!  I use to shoot around 8k a year.  You must be a reloading fool!

I guess you didn't read psp6785 and my replies?  

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hadn't heard of that on the .45.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm guessing some cousin of the governor sold sigs.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. When the "issues" with Glock 30SF's were first conjured, you know the streaking mark on the trigger bar(I just told them to shoot it more). I told the idiots that wouldn't listen that it wasn't just the trigger bar, it was a factor of parts wearing in together, a need for different trigger assembly parts. I for one prefer the 3.5 connector and a NY1 olive spring. This fixed the large percentage of the problems from people that changed over to that combo. I also learned over time that the Glock favors a metal recoil rod that doesn't allow as much flex as the plastic OEM one. I've also seen that several other products make the Glock a better pistol. I've mentioned a few, but for me another one is the Titanium safety plunger. But like I said these are things I've done since buying my first Glock 17 back in 1997.

Also, if the same question is asked on GlockTalk, you'll hear that a PSP trooper lost their life to an "AD". There are those that know, and those that know jack & shit. I choose not to speculate, but find my information from the source. There will always be stories of why this handgun, or that handgun failed. A percentage of the time is that working parts didn't perform as intended. Another percentage is operator error. You'll get down to that percentage that is just that shit happens.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nope. When the "issues" with Glock 30SF's were first conjured, you know the streaking mark on the trigger bar(I just told them to shoot it more). I told the idiots that wouldn't listen that it wasn't just the trigger bar, it was a factor of parts wearing in together, a need for different trigger assembly parts. I for one prefer the 3.5 connector and a NY1 olive spring. This fixed the large percentage of the problems from people that changed over to that combo. I also learned over time that the Glock favors a metal recoil rod that doesn't allow as much flex as the plastic OEM one. I've also seen that several other products make the Glock a better pistol. I've mentioned a few, but for me another one is the Titanium safety plunger. But like I said these are things I've done since buying my first Glock 17 back in 1997.

Also, if the same question is asked on GlockTalk, you'll hear that a PSP trooper lost their life to an "AD". There are those that know, and those that know jack & shit. I choose not to speculate, but find my information from the source. There will always be stories of why this handgun, or that handgun failed. A percentage of the time is that working parts didn't perform as intended. Another percentage is operator error. You'll get down to that percentage that is just that shit happens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey Dan, nice to see you back, in before you get familiarized.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top