User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Speaking of that, how long does that last.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this the shot that leaves the round scar on your shoulder?

Thats smallpox.

Pretty long.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12925846
Not surprisingly, the immunity wanes with time. Though, once vaccinated, you'll likely have some protection until you die.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Pretty long.
Not surprisingly, the immunity wanes with time. Though, once vaccinated, you'll likely have some protection until you die.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats smallpox.

Pretty long.

When I was a kid the measles, chicken pox, mumps and probably a few others were all a part of growing up. The only vaccines I can remember were for polio and smallpox.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Sometimes you can get the series and it just doesn't take.  Happened to my wife with Hep B, she needed a second round of that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
IT VARIES BY DISEASE.

FOR MEASLES: If you had your 2 MMR doses as a child, or had the measles (rubeola), you have >92% chance of being immune 30 years later. This is almost as good as the initial serconversion rates.

Study here
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I turned 50 in October and have the same vax history as you OP.  I had no idea I was at risk, guess I'll be calling a Doc.  

Thank you.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Mine were in 81-82 time frame. Square needle in the left nut was the corpsman favorite way to fuck with us boots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had vaccinations as a kid and upon entering the US Navy received a shit load of vaccinations. What all did the military vaccinate for?

LOL. When I was in Marine boot camp in the middle 60's, we all got vaccinated for about two dozen things, but given the time frame (middle of Viet Nam war), i suspect it was mostly tropical stuff like yellow fever and dengue.

But that brought back memories ... how many of you guys remember walking down the vaccination line with guys on both sides sticking you with needles and shooting you with those air guns? And the double trails of blood drops from it running down your arms dripping off your hands. I lost count that day after about 20 jabs.

Mine were in 81-82 time frame. Square needle in the left nut was the corpsman favorite way to fuck with us boots.

Same time I went in, San Diego, Company 946
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

From what I read, it is mostly due to millions of illegal aliens who have never been vacinated, not the special snowflakes.

The soecial snowflakes do not constitute enough of a % to meet the minimum threashold to fuel an epidemic.

The millions of unvaxed illegals do, fueling the epidemic exposure to people whose vaccine immunity has worn off.

At keast that is what I have read.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was reading up on this yesterday (CDC and Mayo Clinic sites).  Apparently the dead-virus vaccines didn't provide much long range coverage.  Dead Virus was big in the early to mid 60s. Most measles vax have been weakened/attenuated live virus.    

So ya, a lot of people who got their measles vaccine in 60s dead vax era need to reboot.   Me included.

And fuck the pseudo-scientific narcissistic snowflakes who made this necessary.

From what I read, it is mostly due to millions of illegal aliens who have never been vacinated, not the special snowflakes.

The soecial snowflakes do not constitute enough of a % to meet the minimum threashold to fuel an epidemic.

The millions of unvaxed illegals do, fueling the epidemic exposure to people whose vaccine immunity has worn off.

It depends on the area.  Overall vaccination rates in the U.S. are high enough for herd immunity, but that is an overall rate---at one end of the spectrum we have MS at essentiall 100%, but then there's CO, with a rate of only 82% (herd immunity needs about 92%.)

There are also areas with CA with rates lower than CO's overall rate.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It depends on the area.  Overall vaccination rates in the U.S. are high enough for herd immunity, but that is an overall rate---at one end of the spectrum we have MS at essentiall 100%, but then there's CO, with a rate of only 82% (herd immunity needs about 92%.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was reading up on this yesterday (CDC and Mayo Clinic sites).  Apparently the dead-virus vaccines didn't provide much long range coverage.  Dead Virus was big in the early to mid 60s. Most measles vax have been weakened/attenuated live virus.    

So ya, a lot of people who got their measles vaccine in 60s dead vax era need to reboot.   Me included.

Actually... CO is now worse than CA... thanks Boulder. At least we are still better than OR.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I am wondering if I need this. Standard vaccs as a kid in the 70's. USN boot camp in 88. Then more shots for overseas duty in AIT.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For Measles, immunity doesn't wear off much.

For illegals, well, Colorado has a worse vaccination rate than the global average. Actually, Sudan is doing better than Colorado. What does that tell you?

You have to go to Africa if you want to find countries with worse immunization rates than the USA. Hell, Kenya has the USA beat!

I guess the Mexicans don't get the Jenny McCarthy show because their vaccination rate is CONSISTENTLY better than the USA for Measles.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I could probably use it. I didn't get all the shots I was supposed to. I had chicken pox and mumps when I was a kid.

I'll look into it.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:15:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Interesting........... I had all my vaccinations but don't remember when my last ones were for standard stuff - maybe 3rd/4th grade so ~ 53 years ago?. Only thing I've had since is updates to tetanus (and whatever extra they throw in that one) every few years. No one has ever suggested doing measles/mumps again. had mumps (2x on both sides) as a kid, measles and polio,  so hopefully don't need to worry about those again..
View Quote

I think I'd heard that the measles vaccine from that time period wasn't as effective.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#13]
So if I got a Mumps shot not so long ago I should be GTG regarding measles, right?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sometimes you can get the series and it just doesn't take.  Happened to my wife with Hep B, she needed a second round of that.
View Quote

That should not be extrapolated to other vaccines.  The HepB vaccine just sucks.
It is not at all uncommon for one to fail seroconversion after one round.

Most other vaccines have much better efficacy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

LOL. When I was in Marine boot camp in the middle 60's, we all got vaccinated for about two dozen things, but given the time frame (middle of Viet Nam war), i suspect it was mostly tropical stuff like yellow fever and dengue.

But that brought back memories ... how many of you guys remember walking down the vaccination line with guys on both sides sticking you with needles and shooting you with those air guns? And the double trails of blood drops from it running down your arms dripping off your hands. I lost count that day after about 20 jabs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had vaccinations as a kid and upon entering the US Navy received a shit load of vaccinations. What all did the military vaccinate for?

Oh hell yeah...then they marched us to a tiny little unventilated room and some asshole gave a long-ass speech about nothing in particular while us poor recruits got all FUBAR from all those fucking shots...they didn't let us out until a dozen guys hit the floor.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh hell yeah...then they marched us to a tiny little unventilated room and some asshole gave a long-ass speech about nothing in particular while us poor recruits got all FUBAR from all those fucking shots...they didn't let us out until a dozen guys hit the floor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We got the air guns in the shoulders, but just one in each arm (this was in 1984). We walked through a doorway and there were two guys waiting on the other side. As you walked through, they each grabbed an arm and shot you in the shoulder with an air gun. I don't even know what they gave us.

And then there was the shot we got before deploying to the desert. A big needle like a giant pencil in the ass, it went so deep you could feel it hit your knee cap. They wouldn't tell us what it was  for.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Numbers I was reading earlier today as I have a baby at home say that 1 dose of the MMR vaccine only gives 95% of the people immunity to measles. 2 doses ups it to 99%+.
View Quote

Had one as a child.  A second MMR was required to go to college, so I guess they don't trust just one...
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We got the air guns in the shoulders, but just one in each arm (this was in 1984). We walked through a doorway and there were two guys waiting on the other side. As you walked through, they each grabbed an arm and shot you in the shoulder with an air gun. I don't even know what they gave us.

And then there was the shot we got before deploying to the desert. A big needle like a giant pencil in the ass, it went so deep you could feel it hit your knee cap. They wouldn't tell us what it was  for.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ugh, one of those shots..."It's not officially approved yet, but we're SURE it's safe."

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats smallpox.

The rest of your life
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ugh, one of those shots..."It's not officially approved yet, but we're SURE it's safe."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that one was for botulism, rumor, it never showed up in my shot records.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I had the measles as a kid..........am I still immune?

View Quote

In general, a person's immune system will slowly decline as they age, meaning their immunity to all diseases will slowly wane as they get older.  That is why old people die of viral and bacterial infections that would not kill a normal healthy person:  They simply can't fight off the disease anymore.

I am sure that by the time a person gets to their 70s and 80s they are probably vulnerable to measles again.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
IT VARIES BY DISEASE.

FOR MEASLES: If you had your 2 MMR doses as a child, or had the measles (rubeola), you have >92% chance of being immune 30 years later. This is almost as good as the initial serconversion rates.

Study here
View Quote

I've had a negative titer 6 years after receiving the vaccination again as an adult, after having the vaccination twice as a child. Even more reason to check my titers again. I also have a negative titer for Hep B in spite of receiving the entire series 3 times (the maximum amount of times a person is supposed to receive that particular vaccine).

I must just not seroconvert well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:38:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
pretty sure you are suppose to keep up to date on these things no?   I just got my Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis shot a few years ago as an adult. As an update, not my first one.  Was recommended by my doc and nurse and they are all in the same shot now I guess.  Or the one they carried was
View Quote

I don't know about everybody, but if you are working in a hospital i seems like a damn good idea to me.

I know when I was in the reserves, I got a whole slew every couple of years of a whole lot of things.  It did casue consternation at the Blood Bank when they asked what vaccinations I had receinved in the last 6 months.  They had to go dig out one of there dusty guidebooks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

mmr, yellow fever, dengue fever, bubonic/pneumonic plague, typhoid, typhus, small pox for a start.  In my case got out before anthrax hit the troops.  Anti-malarial treatment but that wasn't a vaccination.  (I pulled my shot card the other day, to check on MMR for work.)
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's nice, but it isn't the un-vaxed illegals getting measles in SoCal it's folks from the high income areas that are coming down with it.     Most lower socio-economic folks don't have time to get sick or die.  They get their shots when they can, and can at clinics, many times free.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok, I have to ask.

I was vaccinated and got my booster shots but I still got the measles when I was 10, what went wrong?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I had the measles as a kid..........am I still immune?
View Quote

Humoral immunity is typically life long.  You should be gtg.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm 45, and haven't had a shot since the 70's. I went in two weeks ago and got an MMR booster. Of course we're headed to SoCal and Disneyland this month so...
View Quote

Well it's not going to be an employee at DL.  You do need to remember that it's a place where people all over the world to cough or sneeze or both on you.  And when you see the ticket costs, you'll know it isn't the illegal aliens visiting the parks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I would hate to be cashier at Walmart.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top