Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/31/2015 4:10:17 PM EDT
Without discussion on the relative merits of sushi as food, FDA guidelines or whether having children is a moral act in today's world.

Help me settle a bet.

At what age would you, personally, allow a child to consume sushi and sashimi? Are the ages different for each?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#1]
My kid is 6.  We have been going for "sushi" since she was 3.  She has only eaten sashimi for just over a year.

She graduated from white rice, miso soup, beef negimaki and spider rolls to white tuna sushi and some rare tuna.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#2]
My kids are 13 and 15.  They have been eating it for years.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Whenever they're ready for solid food is okay.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Took my daughter for the first time when she was 2 and a half, she liked it although I dont remember what all she tried.
My son is eight he still wont try it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Without discussion on the relative merits of sushi as food, FDA guidelines or whether having children is a moral act in today's world.

Help me settle a bet.

At what age would you, personally, allow a child to consume sushi and sashimi? Are the ages different for each?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#6]
What age do Japanese kids start eating it?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#7]
3 or 4 before letting them eat raw sushi.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Whats wrong with sushi for kids?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Help me settle a bet.

Care to expand on that a bit?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#10]
both my kids love sushi they were probably 4 when they first tried it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#11]
My 13 and 7 year old daughters have eaten it since they were 4.       I will not eat it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What age do Japanese kids start eating it?
View Quote

This. I think they got us beat on life expectancy too...
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#13]
John Wayne would have never asked this question.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's your reasoning?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#15]
My kids were eating it as soon as they were old enough to dare each other.  So around 4 or 5.

Same goes for oysters, snails, octopus, and jellyfish.   My kids eat all that stuff. They like to mess with their friends too.

There are no "the peas cant touch the potatoes" neuroses in my family.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#16]
this is the reason why the world is f-ed up,
you wont let your kids eat sushi because it might be bad for them, but you let them drink gallons of soda, eat pounds of candy, with chemicals that rot them from the inside out,
BUT SUSHI?!?!?!? OH GOD NO!! THEY HAVE TO BE ADULTS FOR THAT!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's only because he would never take the dick out of his mouth long enough to put sushi in it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#18]
My son didn't eat raw fish until 4.

Now he's a one dude sashimi wrecking crew at 7
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
this is the reason why the world is f-ed up,
you wont let your kids eat sushi because it might be bad for them, but you let them drink gallons of soda, eat pounds of candy, with chemicals that rot them from the inside out,
BUT SUSHI?!?!?!? OH GOD NO!! THEY HAVE TO BE ADULTS FOR THAT!!
View Quote

At whom are you ranting?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I started eating it when I was a kid of around 6.

My kids have started as young as 2, but usually around 4.  Before that they get the chicken and rice bowls.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

A lot of toxins such as mercury end up concentrating in fish. I wouldn't let them eat it every day but I would let them eat it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's only because he would never take the dick out of his mouth long enough to put sushi in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spoken like a true Texan.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Kids eat it in Japan all the time.  

Any good sushi house/chef will of course deal with fish that was flash frozen, so there should be minimal to no risk of any parasites.  The DHA and EPA and protein that have not been denatured are all great for a child's mind and body.

I'm not certain about giving it to a toddler or younger, but once they start walking and talking, I'd say GTG - but again, only at a good establishment with an experienced chef you know and trust.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#24]
It's fish!

Are modern children so fragile now we have to stop and consider at what age is appropriate for them to eat a damn fish?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#25]
When it fits in their mouth / they can chew?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My kids are 13 and 15.  They have been eating it for years.
View Quote

My son started eating sushi when he got his first teeth.

To my knowledge he's never eaten mcnuggets but he loves Indian, Greek, Mexican, Thai and every vegetable other than mashed potatoes.  The FDA should be more concerned about people feeding their kids corn dogs and fries.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A lot of toxins such as mercury end up concentrating in fish. I wouldn't let them eat it every day but I would let them eat it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mercury is in fish whether you cook it or not.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#28]
As said previously I wouldnt let them eat it daily but that holds for adults as well. I would let my kids eat sushi when they were old enough for solid foods.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#29]
My 5 year old eats it and has for probably since he was 3.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Help me settle a bet.

View Quote

I grew up in WA with 2 Japanese families in my culdesac. I've been eating it since I was a toddler. Why would anyone restrict it?

It isn't coffee or whiskey.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#31]
My oldest daughter was about 18 months when she took a piece of tuna off of my plate and scarfed it down. She has been eating sushi ever since. She is now 16 and will sit with me and shuck and eat oysters like a champ.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

John Wayne was a fag.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uv_WGEHr4I
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What's your reasoning?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your reasoning?

By that age, their digestive system and immune system is more developed for handling any trace bacteria on the fish.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

By that age, their digestive system and immune system is more developed for handling any trace bacteria on the fish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your reasoning?

Is the trace bacteria on the fish worse than the trace bacteria found on the thousands of foreign objects that found their way to the child's mouth when they were still crawling on those same hands they sucked on?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you apply that to fish in general?  The portion of fish consumed while eating sushi, is tiny compared to a typical fish dinner, also mercury levels vary tremendously by species.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#36]
So, in full disclosure:

I took my wife and children to a sushi joint last night. I was recounting the evening to a friend of mine and his wife went absolutely unhinged about what horrible monsters we were for allowing our children, 2 and 3 years old, to eat raw fish.

I said that I was sure my sensibilities weren't in the minority.

It appears, based on the responses so far, I was right.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#37]
My son was eating sushi by the time he was 4 or 5 (probably earlier).  He was helping us make it within a year or two of that.

Your friend is an idiot and needs to be smacked.  What does she think Japanese children eat?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I spent a summer with my dads Jap friends that lived in La Paz Mexico when I was six.  We dove(well I snorkled) and fished every day.  Ate all kinds of raw fish and Sevechi style snails and urchins.  Id eat shit that would make a billy goat puke when I was a kid.  Stuff 99% of kids woudnt eat.  My dad used to bet his buddies Id eat more muscles or clams then they could the next summer
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Do you apply that to fish in general?  The portion of fish consumed while eating sushi, is tiny compared to a typical fish dinner, also mercury levels vary tremendously by species.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clearly, you've never seen anyone in my family eat sushi. It's an incredibly expensive and time consuming undertaking. I suspect the amount of actual fish consumed is the same or greater than if we went to a fish joint and got a seafood platter.

We waddle out of sushi joints.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Is the trace bacteria on the fish worse than the trace bacteria found on the thousands of foreign objects that found their way to the child's mouth when they were still crawling on those same hands they sucked on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your reasoning?

Most likely not worse but it is different.  The baby grows developing with the strains on the floors of your houses, the dirt outside, carried by your pets etc.  Suddenly throwing a bunch of raw fish bacteria in the mix could upset the balance.   If you eat sushi regularly, and introduce tiny pieces to younger children, and make it a semi regular meal, then I don't see an issue introducing sushi at the same time as any solid food.  

I'll change my response.  If you're eating sushi 2 or 3 three times a year like we do, I wouldn't let a 2 year old eat it as a meal, maybe offer a tiny taste though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My son was eating sushi by the time he was 4 or 5 (probably earlier).  He was helping us make it within a year or two of that.

Your friend is an idiot and needs to be smacked.  What does she think Japanese children eat?
View Quote

My friend is a good and reasonable guy.

His wife, while a mostly lovely lady, is a bit odd.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Clearly, you've never seen anyone in my family eat sushi. It's an incredibly expensive and time consuming undertaking. I suspect the amount of actual fish consumed is the same or greater than if we went to a fish joint and got a seafood platter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My brother-in-law and I have done a few of those nights.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Whenever they're ready for solid food is okay.
View Quote

Yeah.  It's food.  WTF OP?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are some guidelines out there about eating large fish (more toxins and metals accumulate over a longer lifespan) for pregnant women, at least. It might be with checking if you were going to feed them a LOT of sashimi, but otherwise... I'd let my kids eat it, if they were so inclined and if we had a reputable place.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?

We'll wreck a sushi joint.

Hell I don't even eat cooked fish. It's gross
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wild Caught Salmon has very low levels of mercury. So, if you are concerned about mercury in sushi, just get Salmon Sushi.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, then smack her.

Point is, a thermoderplear weapon was detonated, and SOMEBODY has to get smacked.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#48]
I started going with my brother and his kid when he was 5.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#49]
I have been eating it since before I have memories... Of course my parents were stationed in japan when I was toddler.

I would let my kids have it as soon as they could handle solid foods. Not like it is a daily diet item. We currently eat it 1-2 times a month.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

It leads to healthy and smart children. Definitely does sit well with the us food lobby and politicians who are afraid of smart constituents.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top