Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can find St. George Gin in the Terroir variety (green label), it is the best I have had. Looks like this.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Not unless you're buying.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Martini is a fine sundowner drink.

Gin and Tonic is a great summer drink.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I do like gin & tonics in the Summer.

My preference is Seagram's Lime Gin, Hendrick's, and Tanqueray.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Gin and tonic with either Tanqueray or Bombay Saphire depending on what I have a taste for.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is a curious fact, and one to which no one knows quite how much importance to attach, that something like 85% of all known worlds in the Galaxy, be they primitive or highly advanced, have invented a drink called jynnan tonnyx, or gee-N’N-T’N-ix, or jinond-o-nicks, or any one of a thousand or more variations on the same phonetic theme. The drinks themselves are not the same, and vary between the Sivolvian "chinanto/mnigs” which is ordinary water served at slightly above room temperature, and the Gagrakackan "tzjin-anthony-ks” which kills cows at a hundred paces; and in fact the one common factor between all of them, beyond the fact that the names sound the same, is that they were all invented and named before the worlds concerned made contact with any other worlds.

Tanqueray for me.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/cbarzyz/MissiontoAC6.jpg

View Quote

Is that from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or something?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How does one acquire a taste for hard alcohol?  I cannot imagine anyone sitting down and having their first drink of something like whiskey and saying to themselves "man, this taste like the nectar of the gods".  All spirits pretty much taste the same to me, like a mouthful of alcohol.
View Quote

It's not about taste, it's about the memories. Whenever I have a sip of straight Captain I get flashbacks of this shovel-faced Army broad I was banging in Gitmo.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like hendricks

Gin, tonic and a splash of sprite
View Quote

Fixed!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I tend to get Beefeaters. Hendricks is also good, but pricey.

Bombay Sapphire was actually created to woo potential vodka drinkers (it was introduced at a time when boutique vodkas were becoming popular), so its botanicals are toned down. Sure it's smooth, but it lacks the "character" I prefer.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Never could develop a taste for gin.  I keep it on hand for others, but it smells like Pine Sol to me and doesn't taste much better.  

I love whiskey, vodka and tequila, but I'll pass on gin.
View Quote

This.  I love all kinds of spirits but gin is just awful.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#11]
"Ten"

Thread over....
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How does one acquire a taste for hard alcohol?  I cannot imagine anyone sitting down and having their first drink of something like whiskey and saying to themselves "man, this taste like the nectar of the gods".  All spirits pretty much taste the same to me, like a mouthful of alcohol.
View Quote

Amrut - the name means nectar of the gods.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#13]
http://www.drinkupny.com/Silvertip_Gin_p/s0553.htm

The best bet in Gin, not real heavy on the Juniper with a great balance of botanicals. Great in Martinis, Gimlets and G&T.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#14]
The Botanist - Bruichladdich
Aviation Gin - House Spirits

Crater Lake Gin - Bendistillery
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Hendricks, tonic, and a lime wedge.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#16]
My favorite

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Clearly you've never had any Pappy Van Winkle
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Basic Gin would be Gordon's London Dry for an upper end selection Hendrick's. I am not a martini drinker. For me Gin and Tonic with lime.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Hendricks or Sapphire on the rocks with a fresh lime juice
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I prefer Bombay Sapphire with tonic and a twist of lime
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I prefer Bombay Sapphire with tonic and a twist of lime
View Quote

My go-to as well if I'm gonna involve gin
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Gin + sweet vermouth + Campari = Negroni
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#24]
For Gin & Tonic in the summer........Bombay and Schweppes with a big slice of lime!

For Martini........Dingle and vermouth......LARGE spanish olives!!!

That is all you need to know!!!

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Hendricks and Bombay Sapphire

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I am not a big gin drinker but Cardinal Gin is some good stuff. It is made in North Carolina so it is hard to find.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Gin and tonic.  Squeeze a slice of lime and drop it in there.  

I can't stand it without the real lime slice dropped in there.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I only drink New Amsterdam if my dog is with me.
That way I can kiss her in the butt to get the taste out of my mouth.

Hendricks martinis are like tits.
One isn't enough, and three's too many.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Another (former) Plymouth drinker here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Another (former) Plymouth drinker here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Tanq 10 is awesome!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I drink gin, I drink lots of gin....

My usual goto gins in no particular order are:
Bombay Red
Bombay Saphire
Beefeater
Tanqueray
Hendricks
Gordons (for inexpensive)

Gins I really hate:
New Amsterdam
Seagram's

View Quote

Nice list; but you HAVE TO try Ransom Gin. Its not clear; its amber hued and has such terrific and complex flavors that it puts ALL other Gin to shame. Glass; ice; splash of tonic water; lime. A perfect and refreshing drink for almost anytime. Was once not widely available. Now its at Binny's out here in Illinois.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Generally, Bombay Sapphire is my go-to. There is a local apple / cider producer that opened a distillery and makes a really quite good gin from apples that I've been hitting for a while. They have free tastings if you're (unfortunately) in the neighborhood. They distill Vodka and have several dry ciders as well:

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Generally, Bombay Sapphire is my go-to. There is a local apple / cider producer that opened a distillery and makes a really quite good gin from apples that I've been hitting for a while. They have free tastings if you're (unfortunately) in the neighborhood. They distill Vodka and have several dry ciders as well:

http://www.1911spirits.com/img/bottle-g.png

View Quote

I've been meaning to try it,  their orchard isnt too far from my house
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Sapphire and Hendricks. With Tonic of course, a little lime with the Sapphire and a sliced cucumber with the Hendricks. (Try it!)

My F-I-L, just bought me a bottle of this stuff the other week. Supposedly it was $50 for 375mL so pretty spendy.
It was pretty good. German Gin, whodathunkit?

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Bombay Sapphire
Tanqueray
Tanqueray 10

New Amsterdam is pretty tasty for $10 per bottle.

Gin Martini > Vodka Martini
Gin and tonic
Straight gin with a few drops of lime juice

I've been eyeballing Aviator, I may have to try it after reading this thread. Gin is definitely a hot weather drink for me...G&T with lime juice is better than lemonade in the summer.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Another nod to Bombay Sapphire.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Beefeater for normal mixed drinks, & in bloody mary's...

Hendricks for Gin & Tonic  
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I've been drinking whiskey for a while and I'd like to think I pretty much have it figured out. Looking for a bit of a change, so I'm thinking about getting in to Gin.

I bought a bottle of Hedrick's, it tastes pretty damn good, but I'm not sure how to drink it. Just drinking it neat like I do whiskey not sure if that's the best way.

What brands do you all recommend? How do most of you drink it?

View Quote

in martinis splurge get bombay, tanquray, or beefeaters- they all pretty much taste like pine tree but bombay is the most complex IMO beef eaters is the smoothest IMO if your doing gin and tonics, corvette summers, or other mixed cocktails I say skip the expensive stuff get the cheap stuff and make it strong.  the trick to a great G&T is that you use fresh real tonic with quinine.  NOT SODA  WATER or crappy generic tonic.  and use fresh lime Gin does not bruise easily so it very good shaken with various fruit juices or veremouths.  

Gin is not really meant be drank neat, and a true martini should be about 3 to one not dry like that commie hawkeye says - that was suppose to be a joke ...
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Tanqueray has been my go-to gin for many, many years. I switched to The Botanist about 6 months ago and discovered my new favorite. The Botanist is a little more expensive that Tanqueray, but well worth the price.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did, pretty much. But I started out and still drink only decent stuff.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#42]

Well, thanks assholes.

Nine degrees outside and I'm drinking gin and tonic.

I can't feel my fingers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:55:39 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm far from a connoisseur and indulge very irregularly in Gin but I do like the stuff. Gin + cran + mint wins pool side in the summer. When I'm on it, I can really get down for the crown. Other than that the libation stays lonely and unloved for most of the year.

Gordons and Tanqueray. Haven't had this Bombay label that a few have trumpeted. Then again, I find vodka boring so maybe its for the best.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Tanqueray and tonic. Yum.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#45]
I rotate between Boodles and Beefeaters.  That, some tonic and a lime are all I need.  Love gin.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:07:00 AM EDT
[#46]

Bombay for Gin n Ts and Hendricks for Martinis...

Not a snob, not a fan, so to speak, but I happen to like those.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top