BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I guess he thinks attorney insults work, or something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not about Chris Kyle, it's about the family of the dead... Saying "out of respect for the dead" is the polite way of implying that.

Bullshit.

That money comes from the family if Kyle is breathing or not.  Spare me the lame, half-baked excuses.

You sound like a divorce attorney. Exact same robotic, humanity devoid tone.

I don't think the two guys in your avatar were attorneys.

I'm just sayin'.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You wasted post 24000 on this stupid comment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
An honorable man would let it go.

Further, an honorable man would not make the statements that Ventura has recently made.

Honorable men don't lie.

Then there are no honorable lawyers.

You wasted post 24000 on this stupid comment.

Pretty fair use of it IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not about Chris Kyle, it's about the family of the dead... Saying "out of respect for the dead" is the polite way of implying that.

Bullshit.

That money comes from the family if Kyle is breathing or not.  Spare me the lame, half-baked excuses.

You sound like a divorce attorney. Exact same robotic, humanity devoid tone.

They do. The fact Shakespeare used them is an indicator.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#4]
My dislike for Jesse the Shit Stain has nothing to do with Chris Kyle case. It stems from the fact the Jesse claims to be a SEAL when in fact he was UDT; at the time the two units were separated with different local commands and compounds. The only thing they had in common was the BUDS training. Once BUDS was completed UDT went to the fleet and SEALs started a new and expanded training cycle before they went to the fleet.  Jesse should be proud of his UDT service instead of trying to claim to be something he is not.

Additionally Jesse expounds fruit cake ideas.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#5]
After reading up on Kyle and Ventura over the past year, I have come to the conclusion that I don't believe what either of them has ever said unless there is corroborating evidence.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Location, location, location. The trial was held in an area where Ventura was well liked.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh God they didn't teach you about Shakespeare.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Jesse Ventura and Michael Moore probably blow eachother.

That or they are both amazingly impossible characters created by and acted out by Fred Savage.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Isnt Ventura basically not welcome at any of the SEAL/UDT association gatherings because of this?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#11]
same reason innocent people are in prison, and guilty people arent
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

When someone is murdered it tends to change that dynamic a bit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He made public statements asserting his case before Kyle died,

When someone is murdered it tends to change that dynamic a bit.

why should he have any respect for Kyle after he died?

This notion of hillbilly jurisprudence that a suit should stop because a party dies is hilarious.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
An honorable man would let it go.

Further, an honorable man would not make the statements that Ventura has recently made.

Honorable men don't lie.

You that butthurt about bombing the LSAT?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If it were me, and I had a beef with a guy, if that guy was killed I would NOT go after the guy's widow.

'Ventura' could have hugely improved his market share by making a big deal about how he was right all along, but in respect of the dead and in deference to the grieving widow, dropped the suit entirely.

That he didn't proves he's a shitbag, and I want no part of his movies, TV shows, or any other appearance he may make in the future.

You DON'T go after families.  DON'T.  What part of this is hard to understand?   A beef between men?  Fine.  That's between them.
View Quote

So you'll drop any legal suit (defamation,  battery, negligence,  wrongful death) once the Defendant died?

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Well, she kinda did but then they found out at "ALL" really meant 2% in "kyle-speak" and he and taya pocketed about 3 million dollars.

ETA- Here's the whole article about that debacle, it's kinda long so I'll hide it...
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Actually, having set up a few non-profits, that seems like a perfectly valid excuse to me.  The paperwork is a pain; but getting people to give you the information to fill out the paperwork is like pulling teeth.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If I remeber right there were a half dozen people who testified they had seen the altercation but weren't sure what it was over.  Never trust a jury, they get it wrong lots of times. How much was JV reputation worth or harmed? He was a blow hard before. Can't see his image was damaged to the tune of 1.8 million bucks.
View Quote

All those witnesses could only testify to parts of the incident, most of them contradicted each other and most admitted to drinking.

Then there is CK admitting the story in the book didn't happen the way he wrote.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Know how I know you're illiterate?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#18]
How the fuck did we get to Shakespeare!!??
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Henry VI, part 2 | Act 4, Scene 2
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because of illiteracy.

Everything is bigger in Texas, even illiteracy rates apparently.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Did that woman's Hoo-Hah really sustain $1 million in damages by getting hot McDonalds coffee dumped on it?

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He won because his lawyers convinced a jury that he should win, which is the ONLY reason anyone ever wins anything in a court of law.

Now, do you think that some harsh words and a punch in the nose is worth $1.8 million?

None of it happened.

I've been punched in the nose more than a few times, had people say some pretty horrible things to me, and have even been lied about many times in my life.

Never did it cost me a single dime.

Let's assume that Ventura is telling the absolute truth and that everything Kyle said was a lie. Is it conceivable to you that Kyle's telling this lie actually damaged Ventura to the tune of $1.345 million? How did Ventura's team figure out that Kyle made $1.345 million by telling that lie?

Did that woman's Hoo-Hah really sustain $1 million in damages by getting hot McDonalds coffee dumped on it?

Yeah it actually did. Look up the case the woman suffered HORRIFIC injury.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Just to play devil's advocate.

I would really like to have the quotes of what Cris said before going forward.  Id he say punched, or punched out, or decked...  Jessie made a living being a "tough guy".  "Tough Guy"'s get punched, but they don't fall down - they just keep going, and going.  The entire event could have happened w/o Jessie going down (or even going down but not staying there), and saying he had a glass jaw would have hurt his reputation (almost as much as the lawsuit advertising what a cunt he is did).

Second, he with the best lawyers wins - and iirc this was a civic case, so Jessie was awarded with a split jury.

Third - the NO issue, every report given that I have heard has been hearsay.      
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't believe he was wrong. I believe the story of punching him was frabricated, unfortunately.

But he remains a giant d-bag.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Guys,

I do not know much about the case.

All I know are the basics and that he won......and that the widow is appealing the decision.

Is all of the Ventura hate due to the fact that the case was filed after Kyle's death?

I do not claim to know.

That's why I'm asking.
View Quote

Take it from me, our justice system isn't always right. I'd say its about 66%. It got this one wrong, apparently.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

lolz

The myths about that case will never die.

Not going to get too much into it, but the woman suffered third degree burns and McDonald's had been ignoring repeated warnings about the temperature of their coffee for years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He won because his lawyers convinced a jury that he should win, which is the ONLY reason anyone ever wins anything in a court of law.

Now, do you think that some harsh words and a punch in the nose is worth $1.8 million?

None of it happened.

I've been punched in the nose more than a few times, had people say some pretty horrible things to me, and have even been lied about many times in my life.

Let's assume that Ventura is telling the absolute truth and that everything Kyle said was a lie. Is it conceivable to you that Kyle's telling this lie actually damaged Ventura to the tune of $1.345 million? How did Ventura's team figure out that Kyle made $1.345 million by telling that lie?

lolz

Not going to get too much into it, but the woman suffered third degree burns and McDonald's had been ignoring repeated warnings about the temperature of their coffee for years.

Not to mention that THAT particular machine when tested was dispensing coffee at an extraordinarily high temperature
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Dude told a lie to sell books. Said lie cost other dude money and resulted in liar gaining more money. Wrong was committed. Regardless of the unfortunate events following the suit, ventura's livelihood still took a hit whether or not you agree with his beliefs. But of course.... this America...where people are only okay if they believe the same shit you do.

I'd say I think Ventura is an idiot...but no one will make it past the first three sentences without their panties getting in a twist and railing off on an emotional outburst about how I'm a bad American because I don't believe the hype on this silly shit. Dude did good shit in country. Tried to do good shit at home.... it's sad.
View Quote

JV being a retarded troofer & damn near incoherent in his ramblings hurt his livelihood long before the general public had ever heard of Chris Kyle.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of it happened.

Yeah she had some terrible burns. As I remember from watching the documentary on it she had originally only asked for coverage for the medical bills, McDonalds refused, and a lawyer talked her and her family into going for gold. Very interesting story in regards to that area of tort law. I assume in JV chase his lawyers, like any lawyer would do, probably shot for an amount that was above the final number but was somewhat attainable and then hashed it out in court. I think it was shitty of him to keep fighting the case with the widow but he had every right to do so. He just comes off as a baby and a jerk.

Why he focused on Kyle and then his estate so vigorously doesn't make sense to me either. He is suing the publisher but if he was as pissed as he claims about people making money off the defamatory story suing the publisher makes much more sense. First time authors really don't make that much with the deals they make with publishers Ive heard $1 a book is generous for first time authors with extra incentives paid only if the book sells certain numbers. I could see after paying taxes and book agents, etc, that JV 1.3 million suit, plus the cost of fighting the case, could wipe out most of what Chris Kyle's estate earned from the book's sales. His wife probably earned a decent amount selling the rights and hopefully, not super likely with Hollywood accounting, has made some money from the huge numbers the movie has done.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Where exactly did I say that?

You're delusional.

With or without winning that lawsuit, Ventura is going to eat, drink, have a nice roof over his head, and live a decent life.

Given that, the choice to let the case go after a bloody murder occurs is an easy one, and yes, one I would make.

You're an attorney, aren't you?
I was one for decades, which is how I easily recognize an attempt to avoid answering a question.
View Quote

Answer the question: If you were injured by a reckless driver would you drop the suit and pay your attorney fees if the driver who caused the crash subsequently died?

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not to mention that THAT particular machine when tested was dispensing coffee at an extraordinarily high temperature
View Quote

About 190-200F, IIRC
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#32]
1) The estate could have issued a public apology, offered to cover ALL the legal fees. Then if JV kept pursuing it...

2) JV may have little dignity left, he still has the legal and moral authority to defend whats left. ( he's not the first person to continue a lawsuit after the principals death, he won't be the last either )

3) My opinion of JV has no bearing, as I aint the one walking in his shoes. (he is not the same person I met so many years ago)
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Jesse may have been 100% correct. Chris was dead and Jesse continued the suit against the widow and orphans. If Jesse had a shred of manhood he would have dropped the case when Chris died.

He could have settled for legal fees.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Which line?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which line?

All:
God save your majesty!

Cade:
I thank you, good people—there shall be no money; all shall eat
and drink on my score, and I will apparel them all in one livery,
that they may agree like brothers, and worship me their lord.

Dick:
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Cade:
Nay, that I mean to do.

Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2, 71–78
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Jesse "the mind" Ventura=asshole who made shit up all the time, spoke out of his ass, and demanded special attention because he was a SEAL (or at least felt that his training meant he can call himself one), and sued a widow while her husband's body was still warm.
View Quote

Actually not a SEAL, back in the day, JV went thru BUDS but not SEAL selection. JV was a frog man, not a SEAL. Apparently the SEAL organizations at the time felt that the then positive press the teams were getting from JV was a good thing and did not call him out. Or so I have read.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Jesse may have been 100% correct. Chris was dead and Jesse continued the suit against the widow and orphans. If Jesse had a shred of manhood he would have dropped the case when Chris died.

He could have settled for legal fees.
View Quote

How does continuing the case have any reflection on his manhood?  Ventura didn't "go after a widow", he went after the estate of the man who defamed him, just as if that man were still alive.  Kyle dying didn't make the damage he caused go away, nor did it serve as compensation for that damage.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Answer the question: If you were injured by a reckless driver would you drop the suit and pay your attorney fees if the driver who caused the crash subsequently died?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where exactly did I say that?

You're delusional.

With or without winning that lawsuit, Ventura is going to eat, drink, have a nice roof over his head, and live a decent life.

Given that, the choice to let the case go after a bloody murder occurs is an easy one, and yes, one I would make.

You're an attorney, aren't you?
I was one for decades, which is how I easily recognize an attempt to avoid answering a question.

Might I suggest a presumptuous answer?

Obviously the answer to your question is no but Texas is saying the damages to Ventura do not equal being severely hurt in an auto accident.................and, as a result, he should pony up and not take the entire award, etc.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Seriously?

When I buy a cup of coffee I expect it to be hot.

Being a regular coffee drinker, I see this as a reasonable expectation.

If I expect my coffee to be hot, I shouldn't be surprised of the results if I spill it on myself.

However, if everybody started taking responsibility for the dumb things they do there would be a lot of unemployed lawyers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lolz

Seriously?

When I buy a cup of coffee I expect it to be hot.

Being a regular coffee drinker, I see this as a reasonable expectation.

If I expect my coffee to be hot, I shouldn't be surprised of the results if I spill it on myself.

However, if everybody started taking responsibility for the dumb things they do there would be a lot of unemployed lawyers.

Read the post above yours, before you start accusing other people of doing dumb things.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My dislike for Jesse the Shit Stain has nothing to do with Chris Kyle case. It stems from the fact the Jesse claims to be a SEAL when in fact he was UDT; at the time the two units were separated with different local commands and compounds. The only thing they had in common was the BUDS training. Once BUDS was completed UDT went to the fleet and SEALs started a new and expanded training cycle before they went to the fleet.  Jesse should be proud of his UDT service instead of trying to claim to be something he is not.

Additionally Jesse expounds fruit cake ideas.  
View Quote

Don Shipley (a known quantity in the SF world and a SEAL who actually had a long and prosperous career) says Jesse absolutely has the right to call himself a SEAL and that he doesn't know any other SEALS who think otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeO1DUtnKsE
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

All:
God save your majesty!

Cade:

Dick:

Cade:
Nay, that I mean to do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which line?

All:
God save your majesty!

Cade:

Dick:

Cade:
Nay, that I mean to do.

IIRC, Mark Twain had some pretty good lines regarding attorneys also.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I don't see her saying "I don't deserve to keep this." and handing it off to anywhere like Wounded Warriors.

Unless I missed something (which could certainly be).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I don't see her saying "I don't deserve to keep this." and handing it off to anywhere like Wounded Warriors.

Unless I missed something (which could certainly be).

Is she under some obligation to do so? Is everyone who inherits something from a deceased spouse or family member wrong if they don't give it away?

Quoted:
Sure they're ridiculous judgments. The numbers aren't intended to represent actual damages though.

So what do they represent? Isn't the point of suing someone the recovery of damages?

I guess what astounds me is how Jesse Ventura can spout all this balderdash about "honor" and then go to the mat (if you'll pardon the pun) to take an incredibly disproportionate amount of money out of a dead man's estate.

And by the way, who in the world is a professional wrestler of the 1980s to talk about lying or misrepresenting the truth?

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which line?

All:
God save your majesty!

Cade:

Dick:

Cade:
Nay, that I mean to do.

The thing NavyDoc posted is saying that in order to accomplish Cade's goal of abolishing money and forcing everyone to rely on Cade exclusively for their well being, they will need to kill all the lawyers.  It's not being presented as an actually good option.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#45]
In this thread we learn about the dangers of hero worship.  The next time you try to discuss Obama's failings with a true believer, think back to this thread and the rationalizations used.  When anyone says "liberals are emotional and conservatives are objective" you should just laugh at such an emotional lie.  

re:  McDonald's & Coffee case.  Read it.  It was not about 'hot' coffee.  McD's knew they were wrong, knew if for years, and did not care.  The woman deserved more that she was awarded, and how about you look at how much she finally got?  Instead, we get emotional responses based on ignorance.  

Also, the lawyers in this thread seem to be the objective ones, and kicking butt as well.

IANAL

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The thing NavyDoc posted is saying that in order to accomplish Cade's goal of abolishing money and forcing everyone to rely on Cade exclusively for their well being, they will need to kill all the lawyers.  It's not being presented as an actually good option.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Here is a decent summary as to what that section in the play was going on about:

Dick the butcher, a character no one remembers, utters one of the few memorable lines from the entire three-part Henry the Sixth cycle. Dick's Utopian idea to kill all England's lawyers is his addition to the promises of the traitorous Jack Cade, who envisions a quasi-communistic social revolution, with himself installed as autocrat. Cade alleges that all lawyers do is shuffle parchments back and forth in a systematic attempt to ruin the common people. His demagoguery is simply a calculated appeal to simple folks' longing to be left alone. Yet one may recognize Cade's moral failings and still sympathize with Dick.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#48]
tag
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was always better at math.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#50]
that whole fabricating stories thing.... that bugs me.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top