BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

LOL. This picture pisses me off every time I see it. That guy should feel like a real asshole.....still.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

LOL. This picture pisses me off every time I see it. That guy should feel like a real asshole.....still.

Yes, he chose........poorly.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

My union is prohibited from striking

OP, if it happens, hope things get settled quick and the strike pay holds out.
View Quote

same here.. against the law in my area
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Interesting.  Oil companies are taking a hit because of sub $50 bbl oil.  Fracking industry is laying off thousands and the Union chooses now to strike?
View Quote

• Oil companies always take a hit when the price of oil goes down.

• Oil Service companies always are the first to lay off employees.

• This strike has been months if not years in the making.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The threat of a strike is a better weapon than actually striking.  It's been a long time since I've seen a strike where the workers ended up ahead of the game when the dust finally settles.
View Quote

No kidding. The dust of Detroit is still settling...
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The threat of a strike is a better weapon than actually striking.  It's been a long time since I've seen a strike where the workers ended up ahead of the game when the dust finally settles.

That's how John Deere ended up with a multi-tiered pay schedule. Workers with seniority bargained to their own best interests, and kinda threw the less tenured under the proverbial bus. Can't say I would have done any different, but really shitty deal.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#6]
My employer gave me about a $400 week raise today I have only worked for them about 3.5 months. Why you ask, because 7 guys quit in my area to go work for a company that has better pay, so being the free market they had to fix that problem so now I make more money.

I didn't have to pay One union due to get that raise ether.

Its good to be in a free market with a shortage of labor.

As so.
I hope you union FSA strike your way to the poor house, and that your to white to get government assistance.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Txl
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife made some serious extra bucks on Scab duty back in 2013.  7X10 for about 6 weeks.

Funny thing...with management & engineering in the plant working, they maintained about 70% the normal output, with less rejected work, but they only put in about 40% of the total labor hours per week as normal union crew.

I work in a manufacturing facility and have a hard time believing that. Even with a seasoned crew of Amish Mexicans giving it their all, there's no way in hell they would crank out 70% schedule with just 40% of the man hours.

Txl

This would be true, if the Amish Mexicans were trying to replace people that were actually did an honest day's work for an honest day's pay.  We are talking replacing union workers here...
To make matters worst, we are talking union workers on government contracts.

That said, I've got good friends that are hard working union members and realize there are some circumstances that unions can bring something to the table.  But there are many others where union effectively protect deadbeat employees that would be fired in a open work market.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I work at the same place as OP but as a contractor. I'm being laid off tomorrow until everything is straightened out. Hopefully it doesn't take too long cause my savings isn't as good as I want it to be.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My employer gave me about a $400 week raise today I have only worked for them about 3.5 months. Why you ask, because 7 guys quit in my area to go work for a company that has better pay, so being the free market they had to fix that problem so now I make more money.

As so.
I hope you union FSA strike your way to the poor house, and that your to white to get government assistance.
View Quote

Nice. Union haters gonna hate.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My wife made some serious extra bucks on Scab duty back in 2013.  7X10 for about 6 weeks.

Funny thing...with management & engineering in the plant working, they maintained about 70% the normal output, with less rejected work, but they only put in about 40% of the total labor hours per week as normal union crew.

View Quote

I was a maintenance foreman at WCI Steel in the mid-90s.  We made history, running an integrated steel mill with management (and a few scabs, like crane operators).  We were working seven 12 hour shifts a week, for five weeks.  The plant was finally shut down when union thugs threatened to blow up the railroad that serviced the mill (not owned by us).

When they came back, we laid off a ton of people.  We really learned what it took to run the mill.  The sucky part is that a lot of the people that were laid off were the younger, smarter, more technically educated millwrights and electricians.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

So the union workers she replaced did 30% more work in "about" 40% more time. Doesn't seem like that big of a difference to me. Also, the "scab" workers (your term, not mine) were hired right off the street? Couldn't have been they were working extra hard in hopes of keeping the new job could it? Guarantee in time they, like the workers they were trying to replace, would have slowed down to a more moderate pace. Been there, done that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I belong to a union, and I can assure you that  I and my fellow machinists are far from incompetent. I'll wager you couldn't do our job. Can you set up a six axis Mazak Integrex lathe, or mill? You realize that it is Union labor that manufactures the m119, m198, mk19, m1a1 and m1a2 weapon systems?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone has to protect the incompetent.

I belong to a union, and I can assure you that  I and my fellow machinists are far from incompetent. I'll wager you couldn't do our job. Can you set up a six axis Mazak Integrex lathe, or mill? You realize that it is Union labor that manufactures the m119, m198, mk19, m1a1 and m1a2 weapon systems?
Only because the government mandates union contracts.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:03:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It's true. In some unions, like mine and yours, there are jobs that you really cannot hire people off of the street to do. Laborers you say? We subcontract them out. Our union doesnt have them. We have pipefitters, machinists, electricians, lab workers and even an on sight FD (made up from people of each craft) that are union. It is an extremely volatile environment that we work in. You cant bring in just anyone to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's true. In some unions, like mine and yours, there are jobs that you really cannot hire people off of the street to do. Laborers you say? We subcontract them out. Our union doesnt have them. We have pipefitters, machinists, electricians, lab workers and even an on sight FD (made up from people of each craft) that are union. It is an extremely volatile environment that we work in. You cant bring in just anyone to do it.
I work in petrochem and we hire nonunion folks "off the street" and do just fine

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm pretty ignorant on the whole thing, but i have a question.

If corporations hate unions, why do they hire people that belong to one?
View Quote

Because the NLRB will sue you in Federal District Court for violating the NLRA.

NLRA Cliff Notes
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'll hold off on that info for now. Im trying to see how long I can go before I actually start believing what some people here are saying.

So far- I hate free market, I voted for Obama (twice), I deserve to be fired, I will probably physically, and possibly, sexually assault someone. Im also lazy, incompetent and some other negative stuff.

I do find it interesting how a lot of people form their opinion of unions on how most anti-gunners form their opinion of evil assault rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are you striking for specifically?
This is GD & it's early, we might as well run this 10-15 pages telling you how wrong you are...

I'll hold off on that info for now. Im trying to see how long I can go before I actually start believing what some people here are saying.

So far- I hate free market, I voted for Obama (twice), I deserve to be fired, I will probably physically, and possibly, sexually assault someone. Im also lazy, incompetent and some other negative stuff.

I do find it interesting how a lot of people form their opinion of unions on how most anti-gunners form their opinion of evil assault rifles.

And some of us formed our opinions by interacting directly with unions doing this stuff during strikes.  Threatening to rape the wives of foreman while they are running the mill.  Threatening to blow up the railroad.  Vandalizing cars.  Following people home.  Shooting security guards.  Yep, all of that happened in the strike I worked through.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#16]
For those of you who hate striking, for those of you who love it, whatever, you owe it to yourselves to watch this comedy.

I'm not Rappaport

I don't even have a union & want to strike after it. Walter Matthau is a good actor, Ossie Davis too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And some of us formed our opinions by interacting directly with unions doing this stuff during strikes.  Threatening to rape the wives of foreman while they are running the mill.  Threatening to blow up the railroad.  Vandalizing cars.  Following people home.  Shooting security guards.  Yep, all of that happened in the strike I worked through.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is GD & it's early, we might as well run this 10-15 pages telling you how wrong you are...

But why do you lump all Union workers into that one group you have experience with? Cause me and about 99% of the people I have worked with or around would never do anything like that. There are bad Apples in every profession, Union or not.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:23:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I almost feel bad for Union thugs, with cameras just about everywhere...the odds of them getting caught doing stupid Union thug shit are pretty high.

When I was younger I used to cross picket lines, I made some serious money.
I had a few guys get uppity, made a few threats (but only when there were a bunch of them around), none of them did anything...if they had they would have leaked a little.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#19]
As a former union man I will ask this.

How much will the international prez be making while your making nothing?

Remember the international work for the locals not the other way around, so tell them to pound sand and keep negotiating while working.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:43:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
I run a non union tool and die shop and we do it every day.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:44:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Am I a thug yet?

View Quote

Yes.  Fuck unions and all who belong to them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But why do you lump all Union workers into that one group you have experience with? Cause me and about 99% of the people I have worked with or around would never do anything like that. There are bad Apples in every profession, Union or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was at the violent end of the spectrum.  As a working adult, I've had to deal with half a dozen different unions.  100% of my experience has been negative.  From banal greed, laziness and stupidity, to actual violence and disgusting threats against wives and children.

Satisfied?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My dad went on strike a few times. He was a truck mechanic for the power company and was in the IBEW. He didnt like it and wasn't thrilled to go on strike but didnt want to be a scab either. A lot of guys have that tough decision to make.
View Quote

Houston around 77?

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Seriously? With as much money and per diem as you guys typically get, what possible reason would you have for a strike?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Steel ?

Oil

Seriously? With as much money and per diem as you guys typically get, what possible reason would you have for a strike?

Just moving to the front of the line when the layoffs happen I imagine.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#25]
The issue matters not.  I hope its a long and costly strike and the union loses and the employer prevails.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Is this another one of those, "I'm cool and I'll get brownie points with arfcom bros if I say "I hate union" threads"?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#27]
lol. I love this place.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:31:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I can't confirm that the Union guy that shoved my 74 year old Mother at the supermarket was a thug.  He was running too fast when I showed up.

It's not like I don't have Union chops, I'm a Teamster now whether I want to be or not.  I was a Retail Clerk.  Neither has done me any good.  In fact my particular local is so in bed with the company they almost got married when CA allowed same sex marriages.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm in a union, I bet that the fact that I get a 15 minute coffee break at 10:00am has got to drive you fuckers crazy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Enjoy picket pay while the Union leaders keep their bloated salaries rolling.
View Quote

Picket pay is around $175 a day, and most of the Union guys are still crying.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:41:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm in a union, I bet that the fact that I get a 15 minute coffee break at 10:00am has got to drive you fuckers crazy.
View Quote

Not really.
I can take as many breaks for as long as I like as long as I get my work done.
Working for a small business where the owner is there working beside you has advantages.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

As so.
View Quote

I am guessing communications aren't part of your job description?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Unions.   Fucking hate 'em.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

I have no doubt you do. I will also bet you consider yourself a skilled tradesman. My point wasn't to toot my own horn, just to address the "incompetent" slur levied against all union workers. This debate of union vs. non-union will never be settled on an internet forum. I don't think all unions are the same, just as all union members aren't the same. That is a gross generalization, and not my intention at all. Simply that we have some highly skilled machinists where I work, both union and non-union. We also have some slackers that play the union card whenever they get written up, or disciplined for poor work, whatever. It's just sad how we, in this country are divided by so many issues. Also, currently, outside vendors have the opportunity to bid on just about everything that we currently manufacture. OPSEC won't allow me to say much more, but suffice to say most people here don't really know much about how we as civilian federal employees in the DOD, do business.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:18:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Enjoy picket pay while the Union leaders keep their bloated salaries rolling.

What Union do you work for!!? Ours is nowhere even close to that. Not even a little. Your number is exaggerated.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Then quit.  Since you aren't on the Board - its the way you demonstrate your conviction.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We got fucked and our CEO got a new house in Tahoe and a 100% raise.

Don't feel bad.  Our CEO just got a $2.4 million bonus (around $5.5 million for all the chairmen combined) and its looking more and more everyday like we'll be bankrupt by the end of this year or the first quarter of 2016.

Why didn't you demand the same compensation as the CEO when you accepted your job?

I'm happy with my compensation.  I'm not happy that the men who helped run the company into the ground are still receiving million dollar bonuses.

Then quit.  Since you aren't on the Board - its the way you demonstrate your conviction.

Or I could just keep on working a job I enjoy, receiving compensation that I'm happy with, and hoping the dumbshits who run the company figure out a way to undo the stupid decisions that put us in the current situation.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is this another one of those, "I'm cool and I'll get brownie points with arfcom bros if I say "I hate union" threads"?
View Quote

lol yep
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I a thug yet?

Words of a non-paying member. About typical.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is why I really just feel bad for union members.  They don't know better.  

They brag about the perks they get because the union feeds it to them... not realizing that those are guaranteed by law whether they're in a union or not.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I a thug yet?

But do you support unions by buying/using union made products?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
lol yep
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol yep

According to the OP and thread title it's more of a "I'm cool and I'll get brownie points with the union bros if I strike and stick it to the man!" threads.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#42]
if we don't get every job  handed to us on a silver platter .............

l]    

"................Witnesses also described torching another construction site; attacking nonunion workers and their cars with baseball bats; rumbling over jobs with the rival carpenters union; and flattening tires and causing other "mischief" on an 18-month picket line outside a new apartment complex..........................."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/union-leader-convicted-in-philadelphia-racketeering-case/  

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This is the uncomfortable truth that the "conservatives" who worship corporations refuse to acknowledge. Crony Capitalism gets a pass on it's corruption of government and markets, while labor unions are demonized for taking too big of a bite and destroying the free market.

It's ridiculous, but you'll never convince the people who love the delusion of the "free market" that crony capitalism exists. They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does it feel to hate free markets?

The carteling of skilled labor is not anti free market. In fact it is very definition of free market economics.

The majority is GD's hatred for Unions is borne out of labor's alignment with Democrats who are anti gun and the co-oping of labor by commies and progressives which started in the 1920s.

It is a bit disingenuous to argue that Union greed (which certainly exists same as corporate greed) has had an effect on the American economy in the last 30 years. Union membership is like 11% if you take out public sector civil service unions I bet it is less than 5%.

The irony to me is a lack of pensions is going to herald in more socialist federal spending programs in the long run. I am in my 30s. I know plenty of people in their 50s and 60s who have little to no savings. They sure as hell are going to vote for whomever promises them money when they have none.

Your first statement is a lie.

It's specifically that.  Only someone brainwashed or with an agenda would say that.  If it wasn't, it would not take the power of the government to keep it happening.

Txl

What am I lying about? The government is elbow deep in interfering with free markets. Including special protections for Unions but also special protections for certian industries. It goes both ways. Corporations are people now.

The truth isn't black and white. Corporations = Good. Unions = Evil. Unions can be as greedy as corporations and vice versa. Mostly it is just about making money.

This is the uncomfortable truth that the "conservatives" who worship corporations refuse to acknowledge. Crony Capitalism gets a pass on it's corruption of government and markets, while labor unions are demonized for taking too big of a bite and destroying the free market.

It's ridiculous, but you'll never convince the people who love the delusion of the "free market" that crony capitalism exists. They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Steve, you're full of shit.

EVERY person I know that feels the same about unions KNOWS crony capitalism is almost as bad as unions.
And we fucking criticize it the same.  Below those 2 distortions of the free market, comes rent seeking.
Please keep your bs to yourself.  You sound like an ignorant liberal.

Oh wait.

Txl
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Two ways to handle it I've seen used.

1. Friends father was an air traffic controller in the mid-80's.  He knew PATCO was going to strike so he took a LONG vacation out of the country.  Reagan of course fired the strikers.

2. A friend with a unique job in the machinists union always (three different strikes) just told his co-unionists he was going to cross the line and to hell with the strike.  Blatant, upfront about it.  Never was any retribution.  He's happy and retired early with tons of money from a high-grade level job and undoubtedly a lot of OT during strikes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Thats what happened 3 years ago. We got a call about 5 till midnight saying report to work Monday. I expect more of the same this time around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a strike. Only teachers unions strike anymore.  It's hard to outsource a school to Mexico. It never works out good for plant managers or the bargaining unit if there is not an tentative. Most contracts are agreed apon in the eleventh hour anyway in my experience.

Thats what happened 3 years ago. We got a call about 5 till midnight saying report to work Monday. I expect more of the same this time around.

I'm sure that's a great feeling to have someone else do your thinking for you.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You are involved in the oil industry and you are going on strike?  That doesn't seem very wise with the current price of oil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Steel ?

Oil

You are involved in the oil industry and you are going on strike?  That doesn't seem very wise with the current price of oil.

No shit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#47]
BP Whiting?  Are you guys to blame for gas jumping .30 cents a gallon in 2 hours in Michigan City 3 days ago?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

lol yep
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol yep

So it is your guys contention that if someone hates unions, it's solely because they are trying to be cool and can no way be driven be repeated shitty experiences with unions?

14 years pulling a flatbed has given me more then enough reasons to hate unions, fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#49]
We moved facilities 18 months ago. Due to the move, no more union.

Our former union toured the building today. They were not well received by the rank and file worker. It was awesome to see.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They brag about the perks they get because the union feeds it to them... not realizing that those are guaranteed by law whether they're in a union or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suuure guy.  Try this, breaks are not required by law in Iowa. I didn't have any for two years before I switched over, aside from lunch. But what the hell do I know, huh?
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top