User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Now I have a buddy at the ATF?

The legend is getting larger than life, lol!

View Quote

Well technically, wouldn't any legend (however small) be larger than your life?

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
RockHard13F/Wingnut116ACW

I guess I'm confused here. How is it you're able to legally fill your grenades? Use of  EC Blank Powder as mentioned in this thread or black powder would require an explosives license?

View Quote

This was what initially got my first Form 1 denied- the misconception that I'd need an FEL.  

Per the explosives branch and law, provided no explosives are stored or transported an FEL is not required since it is not for commercial use.  This is the same legal place tannerite falls- it isn't illegal, you just can't store the finished product.

BP and EC Blank Fire are exempted from explosives regulations as small arms propellant. Using them for other than small arms propellant (such as for a filler) may change their classification (ala sig brace) to being regulated explosives.  Still ok as long as you don't store or transport them at that point, but use them on site.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag...That's pretty cool
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'd last 25 minutes after my Form 1 came back, because that's how long it takes to drive to my land.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Made by Rearden Armament, Jacksonville, NC.  XM67A1, SN 001.  Collectible someday? Pictures taken with a potato:

http://oi57.tinypic.com/j5lbwi.jpg

http://oi60.tinypic.com/2nc17r7.jpg

I want to take it out and blow it up so bad...but damn that would be an expensive ($285) thrill.  

and this is why I will never own one.

I'd give myself a month tops till I blew something up.

Three days.

I'd make it three fucking days.  

I'd last 25 minutes after my Form 1 came back, because that's how long it takes to drive to my land.

Pretty sure that adding in the time to get from ffl, +25 min, I've blown more than $285 at a titty bar in that time...

Txl
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There was talk of that, and if acceptable, Wingnut could build bodies and reactivate fuses over and over...  My gut feeling is the ATF is not going to allow "have your cake and eat it too" solutions like that.

Wingnut? What was the consensus on being able to re-use the spoon as the serialized part over and over?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Do you have to inform the ATF prior to blowing it up as a heads up or only inform them once it has been blown up and no longer exists?

The engraved spoon still exists...

There was talk of that, and if acceptable, Wingnut could build bodies and reactivate fuses over and over...  My gut feeling is the ATF is not going to allow "have your cake and eat it too" solutions like that.

Wingnut? What was the consensus on being able to re-use the spoon as the serialized part over and over?

Never was the intended purpose of serializing the spoon, thus it was never pursued and should be left to die as an overall concept.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and the fact he would have a buddy? He has GOT to be the loneliest person on earth rivaled only by the late Kim Jong - il
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Never was the intended purpose of serializing the spoon, thus it was never pursued and should be left to die as an overall concept.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:  Do you have to inform the ATF prior to blowing it up as a heads up or only inform them once it has been blown up and no longer exists?

I really hope it is left to die and isnt going to have the same fate as the sig brace.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

someone should write a letter to the ATF and ask........
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Understood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood.

This is why GD can't have nice things.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Tagged for later.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

and the fact he would have a buddy? He has GOT to be the loneliest person on earth rivaled only by the late Kim Jong - il
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, there is a long and distuinguished line of members here who follow everything I post.

If anything, time alone is a respite from all the attention.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Now that would be an interesting case if you used that in a self defense situation.  Hey guys, it's registered and if deadly force is authorized then the manner used is of no consequence right?......right?

You'd be cleared but that would be national news all day long.

Breaking news, two home invaders were killed today when the home owner threw a fragmentation grenade down his stairs after hearing a commotion.
View Quote
EeeeeEeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#17]

I'm too chickenshit to try some explosive receipes and make hard bodies though
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#18]
One a month...
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wish fuzes were easier to locate.

Sweet build, though!

View Quote

I couldn't find a single one. I am very interested in trying this out.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#21]
So what is the process with the NFA and a DD once it's Kaboom'd??

Do you just call the ATF and tell them to remove it from the registry, the parts are now part of the natural landscape?

I've always wondered about that.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:38:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sadly, it is a heavy cast iron body, not the proper internal dimpled cast steel of thin wall construction like a real M67.  But if you used a higher velocity explosive than the combat safe(er) comp B, the projectiles might be of sufficient number to make it effective.

You see, the predecessor to the M67 was the lemon shaped style, using a coil of notched wire covered by a thin sheet metal case crimped over.  It made hundreds of frags but was expensive.  The 67 uses cast steel and a bit more explosive.
View Quote

M67s cost the Government 34.53 a piece
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Use of any binary explosive filler would require a Federal Explosives License ONLY for storage or transportation.  Storage of black powder or any smokeless powder would fall outside the storage requirements as they are specifically exempt in quantities found in most households.  

In short, it only becomes an explosive DD when it is filled at the site of use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I'm confused here. How is it you're able to legally fill your grenades? Use of  EC Blank Powder as mentioned in this thread or black powder would require an explosives license?

Use of any binary explosive filler would require a Federal Explosives License ONLY for storage or transportation.  Storage of black powder or any smokeless powder would fall outside the storage requirements as they are specifically exempt in quantities found in most households.  

Wingnut116ACW,

I think a binary filler, such as Tannerite is the only way you can go. The fuzes you're using won't have a high enough velocity of detonation to set off something like Kinepac.

Not sure I agree with you assessment on black powder. The ATF has long held that it is an explosive, but has exempt users from the requirements of licensing and storage for certain uses. Building a grenade would not constitute one of those uses in my opinion.
Here's an industry circular from 2014 that has more info:
https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/Explosives/Industry/open-letter-black-powder.pdf

With regards to smokeless powder, it's a similar situation, it's only exempt if it's being used for small arms ammunition. Having it for use in a grenade would require you to have a magazine and licensing.
There's more info in the Federal Explosives Law and Regulations:
http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5400-7.pdf
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  Wingnut116ACW,

I think a binary filler, such as Tannerite is the only way you can go. The fuzes you're using won't have a high enough velocity of detonation to set off something like Kinepac.

Not sure I agree with you assessment on black powder. The ATF has long held that it is an explosive, but has exempt users from the requirements of licensing and storage for certain uses. Building a grenade would not constitute one of those uses in my opinion.
https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/Explosives/Industry/open-letter-black-powder.pdf

With regards to smokeless powder, it's a similar situation, it's only exempt if it's being used for small arms ammunition. Having it for use in a grenade would require you to have a magazine and licensing.
View Quote

It's not for use in his grenade - until the day he wakes up and decides he's going to use it in his grenade.  Until then, he keeps it for all lawful purposes.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#25]
So when are you going to throw it, and when can we expect a hi-res video.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's not for use in his grenade - until the day he wakes up and decides he's going to use it in his grenade.  Until then, he keeps it for all lawful purposes.
View Quote

Which is a lawful purpose as well, but that's exactly it.  Until the blackpowder makes its way into the body and a fuze is set atop the assembly, the blackpowder is exempt from the storage requirements.  Same with smokeless, or any number of binary mixtures that would otherwise be on the explosives list published by the BATFE.  The fact that it can be 'safe' and then 'loaded' in a span of less than 30 seconds is perfectly legal even if it does piss off the powers that be as they see it as exploiting a 'loophole'.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Which is a lawful purpose as well, but that's exactly it.  Until the blackpowder makes its way into the body and a fuze is set atop the assembly, the blackpowder is exempt from the storage requirements.  Same with smokeless, or any number of binary mixtures that would otherwise be on the explosives list published by the BATFE.  The fact that it can be 'safe' and then 'loaded' in a span of less than 30 seconds is perfectly legal even if it does piss off the powers that be as they see it as exploiting a 'loophole'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  It's not for use in his grenade - until the day he wakes up and decides he's going to use it in his grenade.  Until then, he keeps it for all lawful purposes.

The only thing a loophole means is someone thinks what you're doing should be against the law, but it isn't.  There are no loopholes.  Something is either legal, or it isn't.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:06:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Oh fuck, Zaminsky's here. Probably already calling his "buddy" at the ATF and scanning for half full beer cans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SN 001?

Somebody Form 1'd a DD.

$200 stamp

$5 dummy greanade

$80 of good time.

Oh fuck, Zaminsky's here. Probably already calling his "buddy" at the ATF and scanning for half full beer cans.

Just don't ask about the Sig brace he put on it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:30:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SN 001?

Somebody Form 1'd a DD.

$200 stamp

$5 dummy greanade

$80 of good time.

As long as there are 13'ers, I'll still have somebody to laugh at.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:40:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Wingnut116ACW,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wingnut116ACW,

You are putting too much thought into this. It is a serialized and registered empty piece of metal. Someday, the empty piece of metal could be filled with an explosive at the time of use. It would not be filled until that time and the items would not be transported as an assembled unit. A FEL is not needed unless he is STORING or transporting a filled piece of metal, which he is not.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Three days.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Made by Rearden Armament, Jacksonville, NC.  XM67A1, SN 001.  Collectible someday? Pictures taken with a potato:

I want to take it out and blow it up so bad...but damn that would be an expensive ($285) thrill.  

Three days.

I'm pretty sure I'd bring the components to the mailbox every day waiting for the approval. Not sure it would make it back up the driveway intact.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:39:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure I'd bring the components to the mailbox every day waiting for the approval. Not sure it would make it back up the driveway intact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three days.

Probably shouldn't efile then.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:42:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three days.

Yeah.  About that.  Last e-file for this grenade I'm aware of took less than 45 days.  You aren't going to want to buy a half-dozen tax stamps for grenades.  If you do, please budget an extra $20 per stamp to fund my follow-on ordnance projects
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:47:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Reminds me of the first time I saw a grenade dropped.....
View Quote

I have zero interest in owning one of these.    

40mm on the other hand...
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#35]
these will have to hold me over till I do a bit more research. .
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:49:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Three days.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three days.

Id make it 10 minutes after getting home with the spoon.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've been doing a hell of a lot of research on grenades this past week so I can add the correct markings. I have 3 dummies right now (M67, Mk 2 Pineapple, and a 40MM HE round) I just need an M26 Lemon grenade to round off the collection. I discovered I have the wrong fuse on the Pineapple, though. It has an M213 fuse from a M67. I'll post a pic when I get home.
View Quote

If your Mkii threads on a M213 then you do not have a real Mkii.  It is either a trainer or a copy.  The thread pitch is different.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
holy shit

I'd save that for a rainy day...
View Quote

+1

Lots of black clouds in these parts these days......
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Cost breakdown:

Tax Stamp $200 (This step included a number of letters back and forth with ATF, and coordination with both the explosives and NFA branch to show that I wouldn't be in violation of any laws.)

Fuze ~$25 (if you can find one- some are classed with UN numbers that make them explosives regulated on their own, though there have been some manufactured as "articles pyrotechnic" and exempted from you needing an FEL to get one), or if you are incredibly stupid OR very confident, reload your own.

Proper filler ~$20 (which I store separately from the grenade, or I would need to meet federal storage requirements and need an FEL), in this case EC Blank Powder as was used in WWII MkII Defensive Grenades (the "pineapple" grenade)

NFA marking engraving $25

Make a mold out of a trainer or dummy and cast your own body $10

So...$285+/-.

ETA I need to give props where it is due, Wingnut116ACW inspired me to do this build.  He was the first guy I know of that did I form 1 for a frag.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does one get a grenade for the cost of $285? I would buy at that price.

Cost breakdown:

Tax Stamp $200 (This step included a number of letters back and forth with ATF, and coordination with both the explosives and NFA branch to show that I wouldn't be in violation of any laws.)

Fuze ~$25 (if you can find one- some are classed with UN numbers that make them explosives regulated on their own, though there have been some manufactured as "articles pyrotechnic" and exempted from you needing an FEL to get one), or if you are incredibly stupid OR very confident, reload your own.

Proper filler ~$20 (which I store separately from the grenade, or I would need to meet federal storage requirements and need an FEL), in this case EC Blank Powder as was used in WWII MkII Defensive Grenades (the "pineapple" grenade)

NFA marking engraving $25

Make a mold out of a trainer or dummy and cast your own body $10

So...$285+/-.

ETA I need to give props where it is due, Wingnut116ACW inspired me to do this build.  He was the first guy I know of that did I form 1 for a frag.  

You sir, win.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#40]
You both have way more self control than I.  I'm pretty sure if I had a legit grenade I would have blown it up the same day I got my stamp.

I think I'd want to go buy a cheap car off craigslist and go blow it up or something.  Either that or go fishing like Ned on South Park.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You both have way more self control than I.  I'm pretty sure if I had a legit grenade I would have blown it up the same day I got my stamp.

I think I'd want to go buy a cheap car off craigslist and go blow it up or something.  Either that or go fishing like Ned on South Park.  
View Quote

But then, once it explodes, I am out one hand grenade.  If I keep it unexploded, I get to be reminded that I was right in a bet with a stranger on the Internet!  Actually, I will be getting a glass dome and a tasteful wooden base to keep it in on my desk a'la Ron Swanson's sawed-off shotgun.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If your Mkii threads on a M213 then you do not have a real Mkii.  It is either a trainer or a copy.  The thread pitch is different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been doing a hell of a lot of research on grenades this past week so I can add the correct markings. I have 3 dummies right now (M67, Mk 2 Pineapple, and a 40MM HE round) I just need an M26 Lemon grenade to round off the collection. I discovered I have the wrong fuse on the Pineapple, though. It has an M213 fuse from a M67. I'll post a pic when I get home.

Huh. Would never have known that. They are, indeed, trainers. Horribly made ones at that! The top of the Mk 2 is non concentric and slanted. I bought them from a bin of trainers at my local army surplus store. I happened to see that a couple of them had actual M213 spoons instead of the blue trainer ones so I nabbed them. I've painted the bodies and added the yellow band to the top of the Mk 2. I'm thinking about having a rubber stamp made to do the other markings since that would be the most accurate way AND would give me the capability to churn them out en masse.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Huh. Would never have known that. They are, indeed, trainers. Horribly made ones at that! The top of the Mk 2 is non concentric and slanted. I bought them from a bin of trainers at my local army surplus store. I happened to see that a couple of them had actual M213 spoons instead of the blue trainer ones so I nabbed them. I've painted the bodies and added the yellow band to the top of the Mk 2. I'm thinking about having a rubber stamp made to do the other markings since that would be the most accurate way AND would give me the capability to churn them out en masse.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/image3392.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/image3392.jpg

yeah, your Mkii and the M67 are chinese clones..
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:57:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Are there instructions anywhere?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:06:07 AM EDT
[#46]
lol this is awesome.  interesting stuff you crazy bastards.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:12:41 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

Are you violating the law by even asking that question from IL?

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:21:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Informational purposes only. One day I'll make it to a free state.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:34:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing. "I want one really, really bad...but I want my digits to stay attached more than I want a frag grenade."
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 5:26:40 AM EDT
[#50]
I lost track of Wingnuts thread. I have an overwhelming urge to start having half my check sent to the ATF for form 1s. Seriously a cool idea and I've I wasn't in debt up to my eyeballs with the whole wedding, new house, car, a d medical bills crap I would make one just so I can say I did it.  I wonder if I can make a form 1 Stinger, LAW, or AT4......

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top