Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:28:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Is someone using an electric space heater that wasn't used last month?

Those can use up a few kWh pretty quicklly.

But 1000 kWh means 1000 hours of operating a 1 kW device (which is about what a space heater uses) which amounts to someone using that kind of heater 24/7 for one month.  Math is not precise, but tells me that something is using lots of electricity continuously and heaters are a likely culprit.

ETA: Desert_AIP got there first.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Had any thunderstorms lately? Nearby power line strikes can demagnetize the braking magnet in the Watt-hour meter, causing it to read very high.

(FWIW, I worked one summer in a meter repair shop. It's a common problem.)
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
1400 watts an hour sounds a lot like a space heater.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Get a amp probe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Electric water heater running.

1000 KWH is a LOT of juice.

Get a amp probe.

Decent one that's not to expensive?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#5]
But hey you mined $8 worth of Litecoin and destroyed a $300 GPU in the process, 'sall good then.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:19:47 AM EDT
[#7]
No grow op
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:22:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Not sure it would consume that much, but how is your fridge? Running constantly? Coils covered in dust and pet hair?. For that kind of extra usage, look at your high-drain items like well, water heater, fridge, electric dryer, any electric heat. If those are fine, look to electric supply for problems. I lost my ground from the street and it did all kinds of whacked out shit until my meter box caught fire. In retrospect, it was messed up for weeks before it went poof. Are your lights dimming excessively when things turn OFF? Brightening when high use items turn on?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:30:31 AM EDT
[#9]
A couple of years ago I got an electric bill for four time the normal amount .
I went crazy looking for the source and turned up nothing , so I called the
utility company to come check the meter .

Tech showed up and looked things over and said everything is working as it should be .
I was pissed but I paid the bill and played energy Nazi for the next two months . I was
determined to avoid another $800 bill . When the bill showed up I cautiously opened
not knowing what to expect .

It said $ -14.37 . That's right a credit !!  I knew it was wrong but I couldn't resist
fucking with the billing dept by asking if they were going to cut me a check .
Then I begrudgingly called the service dept to once again request someone come
and check the meter . Sure enough something was broken in the gearing that let the dials
free wheel . you could shake it and make the dials move which explains the credit from
first meter pull .

After several phone calls up the line they ended up eating the four months the meter was broken
and crediting my account $800 .  Since then I have heard several stories of screwed up mechanical
meters .
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:11:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Never answered whether he is on a well.  I was talking to a well supply outfit last week and they asked me if I had a high electric bill as that can occur if water is leaking past some seal on your in well pump causing the pump to run all the time.  Or a leak in your plumbing that causes the pressure tank to recharge often.

My electric bill was high last month because I have to read my own meter and enter the reading online every month.  Last month I screwed up and put XX660 instead of XX360 accidentally doubling my usual low winter usage. Bill came to about $90.00 instead of my usual $60.00 amount.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:17:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Not on a well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:30:26 AM EDT
[#12]
When I got a surprise $600 electric bill, it ended up being the lugs on my panel worked loose.  Tightened, all better.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Watching my meter today and it runs slow which I would call normal and then all of a sudden it will start spinning for substantially faster for a few seconds then go back to slow.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Watching my meter today and it runs slow which I would call normal and then all of a sudden it will start spinning for substantially faster for a few seconds then go back to slow.
View Quote

If possible, turn every breaker off and see if the meter is still spinning.

Start flipping breakers and see if you can make he behavior stop when a specific breaker is off.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#15]
A leak in your hot water line somewhere?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll assume you're not keeping and breeding snakes, or any other exotic animals that require heat.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'll assume you're not keeping and breeding snakes, or any other exotic animals that require heat.
View Quote

No snakes , no reefer, no industrial vibrators.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do you get you water from a well?
View Quote

This, can be a sign of a water leak and a pump running non-stop.  Check the yard for mushy sinkholes.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any new big ass gaming PC's?  Some of those things have 1000w or larger power supply in them.  Since we all live in the basement, I had to ask.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Any new big ass gaming PC's?  Some of those things have 1000w or larger power supply in them.  Since we all live in the basement, I had to ask.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative i arfcom on a iPad. Never get on the pc.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
grow lamps use a lot of power..
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Heatpump running on emergency heat?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

That sounds like something with a thermal cutout may have failed and the cutout keeps cycling. Maybe a motor with a shorted winding or faulty start relay/switch?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure sounds like a large load cycling on and off.

Well Pump?
Septic Pump?
Hot water recirculator?

Pool pump?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Got one of those HF battery tenders to keep auto batteries up to charge?  And kind of battery chargers going?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top