Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I attended diversity training through my employer.  The African American speaker ask if there were any questions at the end.  Very first question he had obviously been ask many times.

What is wrong with being called, colored, black, negro?  Why do we have to address you as African American?

His response impressed me, here's what he said.

African American is the first name chosen by blacks.  All other names have been assigned by others (white people).

I respected his answer.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
if you call a black person colored your either ignorant, racist, or both. It just sounds wrong.

It's only wrong because blacks continually seek to change the language and any attempt to describe their appearance. Negro, then colored, then African American, then Black, then person of color, what's next?

What's acceptable, that won't be in 10 or 20 years?

The truth is none of those terms are pejorative, or mean, unless you want them to be. It's a description, void of malice, no different than white, caucasian, euro-skinned, whatever.

You do think it sounds condescending as hell? Maybe I'm way off base here.

Condescending? How? It's just a word that describes people with dark skin....how on earth would it convey superiority that any other word like black or person of color does not? The only way you can think it sounds that way is if you've been conditioned to think it's a sleight or inappropriate - but what about the decades when it was the proper term? That's my fucking point - in 20 years saying "black" will be seen as disrespectful but it isn't, and won't be, unless you want it to be.

I don't think Caucasian is a great descriptor, it's woefully inaccurate to my cultural history - I'm not from the Caucuses nor share anything with anyone who is, but I know it's just a term to describe my racial appearance. Why should I make something of it, unless I'm thin-skinned and looking to be butthurt?

I attended diversity training through my employer.  The African American speaker ask if there were any questions at the end.  Very first question he had obviously been ask many times.

What is wrong with being called, colored, black, negro?  Why do we have to address you as African American?

His response impressed me, here's what he said.

African American is the first name chosen by blacks.  All other names have been assigned by others (white people).

I respected his answer.  

That kind of lessens the message of  the Black Power movement of the 60's, 70's and 80's then. The boundaries were set by whitey still....
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Has he received the Award for Most British Name Ever yet?
View Quote

It does sound kind of Imperialist doesn't it? Should have some title. Or at the least, tortured post nominal lettering.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Are colored people in UK known as African-UKians?  African-Britons?  What if they aren't from Africa?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tell the NAACP.

He should start using "African Americans " lol

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Are colored people in UK known as African-UKians?  African-Britons?  What if they aren't from Africa?

Unpossible. Black people only come from Africa and only left the dark continent through slavery.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They should change to the NAAAAP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tell the NAACP.

They should change to the NAAAAP.

Then it'd be pronounced "Nappy", and we know where that rabbit hole goes....
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Growing up in the South, colored was a term of respect.
View Quote
It beat the only other term in those days.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tell the NAACP.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bene-what Cumber-who?  Never heard of 'er.
View Quote

Sherlock Khan.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What a Crazy Ass Cracker!
View Quote

Technically, that was true of his forefathers.  But I doubt Sherlock is cracking a whip.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tell the NAACP.

View Quote

I do t think European blacks qualify as African "AMERICANS"

Lol people are just sitting around trying to get offended.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You do think it sounds condescending as hell? Maybe I'm way off base here.
View Quote

Not really.

It's an outdated term for sure, the issue is that there's a double standard here.

Why is it socially acceptable for rap and hip-hop artists to use the word "nigga" in their works, but if a white person says anything remotely close to it, they're racist?

There's a woman in my church that's 98 and grew up in Alabama.  She once used the term "darky" to describe someone that worked for her parents. Oh noes.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Through their insecurity, blacks (black "leaders"?) eventually turn any term used to describe their race as derogatory. It's just like the term "Mexican". It's a perfectly descriptive term to describe someone from Mexico, but now it seems like the word is only spoken after a brief, uneasy pause. The racists are the people who try to turn these descriptive terms into racist terms.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Most blacks in the West are actually mixed, so the proper term is mulatto.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He's a great actor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
are you telling me I am the only euro-coloured person lacking afro heritage HERE who has NEVER heard of benedict cumbersnatch?  Seriously?

Yes, you're the most culturally ignorant person. Congratulations.

After looking him up on google, I was better off not knowing who he was.  

He's a great actor.

What does it mean when a man either doesn't, or can't, keep up with the cutting edge of popular culture?  Maybe I normally do but for a couple of years have gone through some tough times.  Yall keep up with this crap like 16 year old girls.  Go on.   I'll be over here talking with the adults.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What does it mean when a man either doesn't, or can't, keep up with the cutting edge of popular culture?  Maybe I normally do but for a couple of years have gone through some tough times.  Yall keep up with this crap like 16 year old girls.  Go on.   I'll be over here talking with the adults.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

are you telling me I am the only euro-coloured person lacking afro heritage HERE who has NEVER heard of benedict cumbersnatch?  Seriously?

Yes, you're the most culturally ignorant person. Congratulations.

After looking him up on google, I was better off not knowing who he was.  

He's a great actor.

It's not exactly cutting edge culture, he's not an avante garde performance artist - the man has been in a dozen very high profile movies, all over TV in critically acclaimed ADULT-themed television, talk shows, etc, and even mentioned here on this site. He just starred in an outstanding movie about Alan Turing (google that) that may garner him an Oscar (google Oscar while you're at it).

I don't think I've seen a Tyler Perry movie, in fact I'm sure I haven't, but I know who the man is for fuck's sake and if I didn't I wouldn't proudly profess it in a thread about him. I would look it up, if I felt compelled to comment on a story about the guy.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tell the NAACP.

Meh. I'm not from the Caucasus either.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When I was a kid-------a long fucking time ago--------"colored" was the accepted POLITE name for blacks.

Sooo.........does that make me a racist by default??? because I'm old????because I remember???? I really,REALLY don't give a fuck how you label me.
View Quote

I suppose if that makes you and old racist bastard then we should start a club. Your description fits me as well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't know why anyone is surprised.

The word "niggardly," which has a completely different etymology, has basically been proscribed in public speech simply because it is a homophone of the ineffable slur.

Stupidity and indignation reign supreme.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Does anyone know what the most "correct" term used for Black people who are not from the US? (Serious question)
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#22]
This is an example of shooting themselves in the foot.

Race relations will never be good and peaceful until both "sides" no longer have to be walking on egg shells to not offend the other side.

This constant histrionics at every little thing... and things which don't make even the slightest bit of sense... such as being referred to politely... which the term colored is the polite way to refer to these people... sabotages the cause.

There is no longer racism when people are race blind... when descriptions are just that and carry no animosity... when no race is treated any differently than any other...

The constant offense taking perpetuates racism.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Does anyone know what the most "correct" term used for Black people who are not from the US? (Serious question)
View Quote

Black, according to my co-worker who is from Trinidad.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#24]
When I was in the UK 30 years ago Black was fighting words. It was an insult.  N@&&$r was considered cute. The use of Coloured was for mixed race people. Black were referred to as Jamacain or Nigerian whatever the path that led them to the UK.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
what about Wiggers do they have those in UK
View Quote

Chavs.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

African American.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/2015/01/benedict_cumberbatch_apologize.html

But in making his point, Cumberbatch said, "I think as far as colored actors go, it gets really different in the U.K., and a lot of my friends have had more opportunities" in the U.S. than in the U.K., "and that's something that needs to change."

Klan motherfucker!

I'm devastated to have caused offense by using this outmoded terminology. I offer my sincere apologies. I make no excuse for my being an idiot and know the damage is done. I can only hope this incident will highlight the need for correct usage of terminology that is accurate and inoffensive. The most shaming aspect of this for me is that I was talking about racial inequality in the performing arts in the U.K. and the need for rapid improvements in our industry when I used the term."

Cumberbatch added, "I feel the complete fool I am and while I am sorry to have offended people and to learn from my mistakes in such a public manner please be assured I have. I apologize again to anyone who I offended for this thoughtless use of inappropriate language about an issue which affects friends of mine and which I care about deeply."

USA Today reported that this was "doubly embarrassing for Cumberbatch" because his family's ancestors include slave owners in Barbados.-SLAVER BASTARD!!!

View Quote

Tumblr based PTSD

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Obama used the term colored too, at least in the context of the NAACP. And his ancestors were likely slave owners (his dad's side certainly has someone who sold slaves to the Europeans).

Where is Obama's apology for being racist?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Obama used the term colored too, at least in the context of the NAACP. And his ancestors were likely slave owners (his dad's side certainly has someone who sold slaves to the Europeans).

View Quote

I thought his dad was from Kenya?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who do you think brought the African Slaves to the coast? Hint: they didn't look like a Swede. The Luo people of his father we're know slavers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Who do you think brought the African Slaves to the coast? Hint: they didn't look like a Swede. The Luo people of his father we're know slavers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought most American slaves came from the west coast?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did.

What is Kenya today was part of the continent supplying the Arab slave trade. The one that preceded the Trans-Atlantic slave trade route by a thousand years.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They did.

What is Kenya today was part of the continent supplying the Arab slave trade. The one that preceded the Trans-Atlantic slave trade route by a thousand years.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did.

True, although most of the Arab traders got their slaves further north.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Nobody  called to apologize  for calling me Crackah, or Honky, or HeyWhiteBoy....
Whiteman's  burden I guess..
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#36]
so,

black entertainment television

united negro college fund

national association for the advancement of colored people  

are all also racist?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:02:13 PM EDT
[#37]
National Association for the Advancement of Can't Say That Word People.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:27:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

if you call a black person colored your either ignorant, racist, or both. It just sounds wrong.
View Quote

What am I supposed to do when colored people decide that being called "black" is the worst thing ever? I can't fucking keep up with this shit, and I don't really care to either.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:57:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
But it WOULDN'T be racist if I, as a Caucasian, started referring to myself as "Uncolored," right?

I'm taking it back!
View Quote

It's the wrong way round if you think about it - black is the absence of color, white is made up of all the colors, so white people are really the "People of Color"
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's the wrong way round if you think about it - black is the absence of color, white is made up of all the colors, so white people are really the "People of Color"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But it WOULDN'T be racist if I, as a Caucasian, started referring to myself as "Uncolored," right?

I'm taking it back!

In light, white is the presence of all colors, in pigment, it is the absence of color.  I think light would take precedence, yes.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Webster now says "sometimes offensive."  I did not know that. Is that because it implies the subject may be an inky?

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Has anyone made a meme out of this yet? I can't help but literally laugh out loud that he was white knighting about the oppression of black people and got e-lynched for using the wrong descriptive term.

What a shit show we live in these days.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Once again, only black people can say it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#46]
On that note.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#47]
This is one of those "who cares" subjects.

Technically  BLACK IS NOT a color.

Black is the complete absence of color.
White is the presence of all colors simultaneously.

Nobody is really Black or White.
But shades of different Primary Colors combined.
Black and White, ARE NOT Primary Colors.

So There! Argue about something that really matters!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm a color. I prefer it to being colorless.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

This is one of those "who cares" subjects.

Technically  BLACK IS NOT a color.

Black is the complete absence of color.

White is the presence of all colors simultaneously.

Nobody is really Black or White.

But shades of different Primary Colors combined.

Black and White, ARE NOT Primary Colors.

So There! Argue about something that really matters!

View Quote
They aren't proper nouns, either.  Even when referring to race.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, and much better than what they were called by a lot of people.

Family had a lot of slaves back in the day, was told one time by my ultra-liberal/feminist/socialist/obummer-loving history professor that I should feel guilty and ashamed because of it. I laughed at her and I think her head nearly exploded.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top