BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For those who don't believe in God, how can something be made out of nothing? It's scientifically impossible.
View Quote

something had to create god to create everything else...

mind fucked
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

For those who don't believe in God, how can something be made out of nothing? It's scientifically impossible.

mind fucked
Honestly, origins make no sense. Adding god (or gods) does absolutely nothing to solve this problem.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

mind fucked
Honestly, origins make no sense. Adding god (or gods) does absolutely nothing to solve this problem.

makes me believe the big bang for a god for sure...  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe in the Big BANG

God spoke it

BANG , it happened
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#6]
What year did man discover god anyway? Shouldn't we celebrate its centennial by sacrificing some muslim virgins or something?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Both.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

mind fucked

What if the big bang was god's parents' honeymoon?

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
God created everything via science.

Do you know the probably of all this shit just happening?

It's in the fucking trillions.
View Quote

This one always cracks me up.  The misspelling makes it even more precious.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

mind fucked

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

mind fucked

Origins do if you take the fact that time is a property of this universe and doesn't necessarily  exist outside of it. Thus outside here there's no origin to speak off since that requires time. It just is.

St Augustine wrote about this a long time ago in his Confessions . I first encountered it in a book about Hyperspace and multiple dimensions where the physicist author mentioned Augustine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#11]
The Big Bang created the Universe.

Someone else was too busy designing the gas ventricles for Hell.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The two are not mutually exclusive.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

mind fucked
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

mind fucked

It is the Christian belief that God wasn't created from anywhere. He's the eternal, self-existing being.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Coram Deo

God is not bound by the limitations of time and space, for He is not subject to finitude as we are. He can see the end and the beginning, and He is the infinite ground of all reality. This does not mean we cannot distinguish the Lord from creation. He exists in all places, but He cannot be absorbed fully into His creation. And though He transcends time, He can still enter into it in order to accomplish redemption. Meditate on our Father’s infinite character today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those who do believe in God, how can god come from nothing? Its logically impossible.

Coram Deo

God is not bound by the limitations of time and space, for He is not subject to finitude as we are. He can see the end and the beginning, and He is the infinite ground of all reality. This does not mean we cannot distinguish the Lord from creation. He exists in all places, but He cannot be absorbed fully into His creation. And though He transcends time, He can still enter into it in order to accomplish redemption. Meditate on our Father’s infinite character today.

Interesting. They say that at ridiculously microscopic levels, the concepts of time and space become meaningless. Maybe God is down there somewhere between the individual threads of the fabric of space and time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#15]
this thread

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Origins do if you take the fact that time is a property of this universe and doesn't necessarily  exist outside of it. Thus outside here there's no origin to speak off since that requires time. It just is.

St Augustine wrote about this a long time ago in his Confessions . I first encountered it in a book about Hyperspace and multiple dimensions where the physicist author mentioned Augustine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

mind fucked

Still, the human mind isn't good at understanding situations where causality doesn't apply.

Gods or higher dimensions outside of spacetime.  Sure, they sound cool, but really, how many people can fully grasp those concepts?

Id say 99.9% of people can't, myself included.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Interesting. They say that at ridiculously microscopic levels, the concepts of time and space become meaningless. Maybe God is down there somewhere between the individual threads of the fabric of space and time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those who do believe in God, how can god come from nothing? Its logically impossible.

Coram Deo

Shhh...I want to see fatalerror's brain shift gears without the clutch.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#18]
God said 'BANG' , and then it was
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It is the Christian belief that God wasn't created from anywhere. He's the eternal, self-existing being.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

mind fucked

If you can make up an criteria to exclude your God from measurement, why do you even use the word science?

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Coram Deo

Don't need the clutch, its an automatic.

Point is, anyone can propose all sorts of cool fantasies about what could be (gods, other dimensions, whatever).

So what?

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

mind fucked

What if the big bang was god's parents' honeymoon?

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

If there are gods, where did they come from? Were they made out of nothing?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

mind fucked

i know      I'm a good irish catholic boy thats just trying to stir the pot.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Agreed........we need a thread hijack.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

God created everything via science.

Do you know the probably of all this shit just happening?

It's in the fucking trillions.

Hey now, I suck at spelling.

No need to bring out that card.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Still, the human mind isn't good at understanding situations where causality doesn't apply.

Gods or higher dimensions outside of spacetime.  Sure, they sound cool, but really, how many people can fully grasp those concepts?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

mind fucked

It's somewhat hard, yes, at first. First time I read that book on Hyperspace I got a migraine and couldn't sleep. But eventally it makes sense. It actually makes a lot of sense.

Eternity is a lot easier to grasp actually when you realize that time simply doesn't always apply to it. It isn't a massive amount of time, it just isn't time.

Just think on it a bit and check out Augustine's Confessions.

But yeah it is hard for people at first because we don't exist there. Just like explaining 3D to a flatlander, or folding up a hyper cube.

ETA: I really really recommend reading Augustine's Confessions. And City of God if you're inclined.

here's a fun article if you'd like a headache: http://www.ericrosenfield.com/time.html

Wait till the part where the past doesn't really exist and nether does the future.

ETA2: I guess since a nearly 2000 year old work isn't under a copyright, here's one translation of the relevant book 11: http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/augconf/aug11.htm
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#28]
How someone can just walk through this world and believe that all existence is just by chance blows my mind.

I'm mean, it's one thing to say that you can't be sure but to blindly say that there is zero chance that a higher being had a hand in it is just
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So all the people stating exactly that in this thread are trying to portray religion in a negative light? Who knew?

We don't have 50 threads per year with "theologians" coming in here and laying out logical proofs, we have 50 threads per year with people saying "we don't know, therefore must be god, its got to be".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe God created all matter. Last time I checked, the universe and all matter associated with it could not just "poof" create itself. That's why the bing bang and other theories are so ridiculous. Not only that, but there is proof of God's existence all around us.
Last time I checked god couldn't do this, that's why religions are more ridiculous than any scientific theories.

"Something can't come from nothing, so clearly this means there was this infinitely powerful, complex, conscious entity that did it."

Yeah, that makes sense.

I can't think of any serious theologian or Christian philosopher who has made such a statement.  The above is a gross oversimplification of the matter meant to portray those who argue in favour of God in a negative light.
So all the people stating exactly that in this thread are trying to portray religion in a negative light? Who knew?

We don't have 50 threads per year with "theologians" coming in here and laying out logical proofs, we have 50 threads per year with people saying "we don't know, therefore must be god, its got to be".

Such statements coming from your crowd, especially from those who ought to know better, can be characterized in the manner stated.  I don't presume to speak for any individual GD posters, but certainly there are plenty of people who make arguments out of ignorance, and in many a subject GD has proven itself to be no exception, to include this subject.

The questions posed by yourself and other atheists were asked many centuries ago and thoroughly discussed and answered by Christian, Jewish, and Islamic philosophers alike (although the answers have not always been the same); even the Greeks (most notably Plato and Aristotle and their disciples) dealt with some of the aspects of the question, influencing the Christians and others later.  It's not a question which can be adequately answered in a forum post; it requires an essay, at least, to provide the slightest modicum of adequacy in response.

Obviously, the veracity of the Word in the scriptures is accepted on Faith.  Christian epistemology involves Divine Revelation as being a means by which Man acquires knowledge and when it comes to some truths, it is the only means Man has to acquire that knowledge because it is something beyond his basic capacity for reason and understanding and also beyond his powers of observation.  Arguments derived principally from scripture will always be rejected out of hand by those who reject them as having anything to do with the Truth (or who reject objective, absolute truth itself).  There will always be a gulf here.  Of course, theologians and philosophers have also approached this question from reason, supplemented by observation of the world, and, for example, have formulated logical proofs, such as the Proofs from Motion, Proof by Efficient Cause, the Proof by Necessary Being, the Proof from Degrees of Being, and the Proof from the Final Cause (using the proofs of St. Thomas Aquinas as the examples here).

One thing that seems to be accepted is the Aristotelian idea that infinite regression is impossible (hence the Proofs from Motion and by Efficient Cause).  At the same time we know from scripture that God is not a finite being in that he does not as an entity have a beginning or end; he is not bound by time because he is the one who created it; time is a concept tied to our physical universe, which is not infinite (something that not only comes from theology and philosophy, but also seems to be theorized by the physical sciences); if it were infinite, we would get back to the problems with the idea of infinite regression.  God reveals His essence most succinctly when he talks to Moses and reveals the name by which He is to be called: I AM WHO AM; that is, his essence is to exist, it is his act-of-being.  This acceptance of this truth, which comes not from reason or observation, but rather, from divine revelation, has considerable consequences with respect to your question, but it has its basis in Faith in the scriptures, which to an atheist is unacceptable as the basis for an answer.

Reason and Faith greatly intertwine for Christians with respect to this question and I'm not sure an adequate response for an atheist can be made on account of this fact.  I know it is beyond my ability to make such a response in such a limited format.  I certainly could post some of the logical proofs, if you like, and you can make of them what you will.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:32:22 PM EDT
[#30]
We don't know exactly... Therefore, everything in the Bible is true.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#31]
My take is this;

There are things we will never understand. We may get closer and discover tiny tidbits, but the universe, especially at quantum levels, is so mind-bogglingly strange, that it is just easier to chalk it up to divinity. Call it "God" or whatever you want, but it doesnt change the fact that the universe is the way it is.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#32]
The Universe recycles. There was no beginning, there is no end.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm at the point in my life where I don't give a fuck what anyone else believes, as long as:

1. You don't talk to me about it, uninvited.
2. You don't use your belief system as an excuse to shoot doctors or crash planes into buildings
3. You keep that stuff out of public schools unless it is in the context of a "history of western/eastern/north pole religions" class
4. You don't mix your belief system so much into politics that you're actively destroying civil equality of other people
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Research the gap theory.

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. [1:2] And the earth wasBECAME without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

The hebrew word "hayah" was mistranslated was instead of what it really means, become/became. When the earth was created the angels shouted for joy, also God does not create things incomplete. The time between verse 1 and 2 could have been million, maybe billions of years before humans were created.

ETA: did God use the big bang to create the universe? I believe science reveals God, so if the science truly shows it was all started by a big bang, then yes I'd believe that God created some kind of universe seed that began it all.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Universe recycles. There was no beginning, there is no end.
View Quote

I think you have figured it out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#37]
God through the Big Bang
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just depends on how big you think God is.  Whoever started this whole thing is big.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Get Both
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

How someone can just walk through this world and believe that all existence is just by chance blows my mind.

I'm mean, it's one thing to say that you can't be sure but to blindly say that there is zero chance that a higher being had a hand in it is just
View Quote
I don't think anyone is saying either of those things.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Those of you that say you can't get something from nothing are suffering from a failure of the imagination. Do a search for Casimir Effect.
And then there's this. "Under the proper conditions, matter and energy can literally be made to materialize out of what we used to think of as nothing."
From "The Quantum Vacuum", by Luciano Boi.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So none of us are here?

mindblown.gif

Gee mr. scientist I never thought of that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Hey guys which of these two unprovable options makes you feel better?

POLL INBOUND!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#44]
God is Science.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Andromeda? The galaxy or the TV show?

PS, nobody ever said that the Big Bang "created" the Universe in the same sense that various religions mean when they say their deity (deities) created the Universe.

The Big Bang is the rapid expansion following the extrapolation to a singularity before which we can know nothing. Science doesn't have anything to say on the philosophical/spiritual WHY of the Universe.
View Quote

Lol, atheist scientists who's worldview is naturalism/materialism conclude from galaxies moving away from each other and background radiation that the conclusion is to hypothesize they all scrunched together into a nothingness that exploded...and that isn't saying anything about how or why the universe exists...wow.  It's really hard to have a logical conversation with the other side with reasoning like that.  Creation is creation, a house is created, a computer is created, a painting is created. The Big Bang idea is like seeing two cars driving away from each other on the highway and concluding that their journey began as an infinitely small point that exploded and developed into cars driving away from each other.  I wish that was hyperbole. A nothingness coming into existence and exploding and everything just happening is the antithesis of a creative process.  

What I have is revelation, truth revealed by the One who created and He didn't take one second, as He could have, and He didn't take billions of years, no, He revealed to man long ago that He took time to create, a short time but far longer than an infinite power required.   He, the Creator who's name is "I AM", He told us that He took 6 days to create and the order that He created in.  What a "day" is as period of time is the period that God took, that a day is then calculated according to our rotation reference to the sun means God set a solar day to the amount of time He took.  He created the day, He set the earth's day according to the period of time, and it was a creative act unlike the processes which govern Creation since then.  Our God's creative power is one of the primary things we give Him credit for, He is the Creator, He has power over His Creation, He raised His Son Jesus from the dead, and He will create a new heavens and earth.  This isn't knowledge your going to find via the process of hypothesis, observation, testing, repetition, and falsification, but then, neither is the "Big Bang".  Not that the the observational evidence doesn't defy naturalist interpretations and fit Creationist ones, and fit much better with the latter.  But ultimately, you have a philosophical starting point, you can follow atheist philosophy that goes against science and plane every day observation that show us blind chance processes aren't creative and spontaneous generation of life or matter doesn't happen.  Or, you can glory at this amazing world, far more amazing than any computer program or physics engine, and recognize it must have been created and seek the One who made you.  

The answer you'll find is far better.  There is hope, you can have hope that you're not space-dust and that 150 years from now you won't be an unconscious skeleton never to live again, but rather you can have life in Him who is life.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This, science is the understanding of God's creation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
God is science. He created science.

This, science is the understanding of God's creation.

Science is the discovery of Gods creation.

Do you even Sir Isaac Newton, Bro?

Do you even Darwin, Bro?

Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Yup!

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Aliens entered our universe via a worm hole from a parallel universe and discovered an endless waste land. As they moved through the universe they discovered a little back water planet ie earth and it showed promise. So they sprinkled it with life and let it grow. They came back billions of years later only to discover a creature they called man was running amok, so they created the theory of God to control us and while hear they built the pyramids.
Bring it!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Such statements coming from your crowd, especially from those who ought
to know better, can be characterized in the manner stated.  I don't
presume to speak for any individual GD posters, but certainly there are
plenty of people who make arguments out of ignorance, and in many a
subject GD has proven itself to be no exception, to include this
subject.

The questions posed by yourself and other atheists were asked many
centuries ago and thoroughly discussed and answered by Christian,
Jewish, and Islamic philosophers alike (although the answers have not
always been the same); even the Greeks (most notably Plato and Aristotle
and their disciples) dealt with some of the aspects of the question,
influencing the Christians and others later.  It's not a question which
can be adequately answered in a forum post; it requires an essay, at
least, to provide the slightest modicum of adequacy in response.

One thing that seems to be accepted is the Aristotelian idea that infinite regression is impossible (hence the Proofs from Motion and by Efficient Cause).  At the same time we know from scripture that God is not a finite being in that he does not as an entity have a beginning or end; he is not bound by time because he is the one who created it; time is a concept tied to our physical universe, which is not infinite (something that not only comes from theology and philosophy, but also seems to be theorized by the physical sciences); if it were infinite, we would get back to the problems with the idea of infinite regression.  God reveals His essence most succinctly when he talks to Moses and reveals the name by which He is to be called: I AM WHO AM; that is, his essence is to exist, it is his act-of-being.  This acceptance of this truth, which comes not from reason or observation, but rather, from divine revelation, has considerable consequences with respect to your question, but it has its basis in Faith in the scriptures, which to an atheist is unacceptable as the basis for an answer.

Reason and Faith greatly intertwine for Christians with respect to this question and I'm not sure an adequate response for an atheist can be made on account of this fact.  I know it is beyond my ability to make such a response in such a limited format.  I certainly could post some of the logical proofs, if you like, and you can make of them what you will.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Such statements coming from your crowd, especially from those who ought
to know better, can be characterized in the manner stated.  I don't
presume to speak for any individual GD posters, but certainly there are
plenty of people who make arguments out of ignorance, and in many a
subject GD has proven itself to be no exception, to include this
subject.

The questions posed by yourself and other atheists were asked many
centuries ago and thoroughly discussed and answered by Christian,
Jewish, and Islamic philosophers alike (although the answers have not
always been the same); even the Greeks (most notably Plato and Aristotle
and their disciples) dealt with some of the aspects of the question,
influencing the Christians and others later.  It's not a question which
can be adequately answered in a forum post; it requires an essay, at
least, to provide the slightest modicum of adequacy in response.

And the problem is, many people find these explanations lacking any practical significance beyond reinforcing the faith of the faithful.

No, this is something that scripture asserts. There is no reason to assume this maps to reality. No philosophical hypothetical that I have ever seen demonstrate it to be true, or likely true. "Hey, this is a cool, logically consistent idea"? Sure. That's what philosophy is about.  The problem comes with assuming this has anything to do with reality. As you rightly point out, this is where "faith" comes in, and "faith" is concept I completely reject as I find it useless.

Look at hard solipsism. You really cannot disprove it in any way. It could be true for all you or anyone else knows. For me, saying "I know its true based on faith" or "I know its not true based on faith" really is a meaningless statement. Having no way to say either way I file it under "cool idea", and move on with living my apparent life in the apparent universe using what appears to be an accurate way of determining what works and what doesn't: skepticism.

Not to mention science can and does describe entities or processes with these properties that do not require the complications placed on them by religions, philosophers, or theologians trying to prove some sort of higher consciousness.  Doesn't mean these entities are actually real, just that they can be conceptualized. Nor does this prove that higher consciousnesses are not possible, just that they are definitely not an absolute necessary to explain things.

What I find in these threads is typically not people trying to actually discuss these real philisophical questions, but rather "oh my god, how stupid can you be if you don't/do believe in gods? Clearly there are/are not gods!"

I can't help but react to these people, especially those who assert god is a clear an obvious fact, and anyone who doesn't see it is an idiot.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Poll incoming
View Quote

They're not even remotely mutually exclusive.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top