Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 1/27/2015 9:36:25 PM EDT
Poll incoming
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Andromeda? The galaxy or the TV show?

PS, nobody ever said that the Big Bang "created" the Universe in the same sense that various religions mean when they say their deity (deities) created the Universe.

The Big Bang is the rapid expansion following the extrapolation to a singularity before which we can know nothing. Science doesn't have anything to say on the philosophical/spiritual WHY of the Universe.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The two are not mutually exclusive.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to say god before the godless heathens show up
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#6]
God is science. He created science.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I am unsure of how God created the universe.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to say Big Bang before the creationist show up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Science explains the physical nature of the universe God has created, to include possibly some of the mechanisms involved in its creation, but it will always have its limits, which is what philosophy, which can be tied to or emanate from theology to an extent, is for.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#11]
And who exactly arranged  for the big bang?

I'm going with rising up with the Turtle, and leave you Monkeys to fling shit at each other.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#14]
In the beginning was the Word.

John had a better grasp of the Lord's hoodoo than Paul evar imagined.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Andromeda? The galaxy or the TV show?
PS, nobody ever said that the Big Bang "created" the Universe in the same sense that various religions mean when they say their deity (deities) created the Universe.
The Big Bang is the rapid expansion following the extrapolation to a singularity before which we can know nothing. Science doesn't have anything to say on the philosophical/spiritual WHY of the Universe.
View Quote
Bingo.
Science is about facts and what can be observed or inferred from the observations.
Religion and philosophy are about what one can logically argue, suppose, or blindly believe. Facts are optional.  As such, they will always have their limitations.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, science is the understanding of God's creation.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:46:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I believe God created all matter. Last time I checked, the universe and all matter associated with it could not just "poof" create itself. That's why the bing bang and other theories are so ridiculous. Not only that, but there is proof of God's existence all around us.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I believe in a multi-verse.

From a singularity, everything explodes into the universe as we know it.  At some point the universe ceases to expand, and begins to contract.  When it does, it collapses in on itself, setting the stage for the next Big Bang.  This process goes on and on and on.

I call it the Gang Bang Theory.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#20]
No.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#21]
God did create the universe. If man is able to determine that the universe was created through the big bang theory using the wcientific method, all we have done is discovered how God brought creation into existence.

A scientific reason for something does not have to be exclusive of God. It just explains the way God did something or caused something to be. Science gives an explanation for the way His creation works.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#22]
turtles all the way down
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#23]
And we're off again.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Big Bang and God are both bullshit. Pretty much one in the same. Everything was created from nothing? Yeah fucking right.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I believe God created all matter. Last time I checked, the universe and all matter associated with it could not just "poof" create itself. That's why the bing bang and other theories are so ridiculous. Not only that, but there is proof of God's existence all around us.
View Quote
Last time I checked god couldn't do this, that's why religions are more ridiculous than any scientific theories.

"Something can't come from nothing, so clearly this means there was this infinitely powerful, complex, conscious entity that did it."

Yeah, that makes sense.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#26]
For those who don't believe in God, how can something be made out of nothing? It's scientifically impossible.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#27]
God only.  Gen. 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#28]
It helps to understand a bit of the history of science to understand how laughable your question is…

See, it was the common belief among scientists that the universe was both eternal and infinite. It had existed in its present form for all eternity and would continue to exist in its current form for all eternity. Stars might grow old and die but they would be replaced as new hydrogen popped into existence, coalesced, and formed stars. This was known as the steady state theory.

But this couldn’t be made to fit with observation no matter how much the scientists tried. Then someone came up with the “Big Bang” model and it was rejected by a great many in the scientific community on the grounds that it was a bunch of Christian nonsense. It wasn’t Christians who proposed it of course, (Well, they might have been Christians for all I know but it was proposed as a scientific hypothesis based on observation.) and it eventually won out and was accepted by most scientists.

The Big Bang theory claims that the universe was created in the not so distant past. (14 Billion years might seem like a long time but it’s nothing compared to a universe which was infinitely ancient 14 billion times 14 billion times 14 billion years ago.) The Big Bang theory claimed that there as a moment of creation when all existence came into being out of nothingness. And it happened in a flash of light… Well, maybe not as the very early universe would have been too dense for photons to travel very far. But “Let there be light” does seem to describe the event in a metaphorical sense.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#29]
In the beginning there was nothing
Then there was something

Beyond that my brain sez....

Ooooh, cookies!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#30]
there is absolutely no way this thread turns out poorly.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

For those who don't believe in God, how can something be made out of nothing? It's scientifically impossible.
View Quote
For those who do believe in God, how can god come from nothing? Its logically impossible.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Genesis 1:1
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Dude, I have no fucking clue.

Either way, if someone discovered absolute proof of either one, then laid it out directly in front of me, then carefully and painstakingly explained in great detail every facet of every aspect of that proof...

I still wouldn't get it.  I know my limits and one of those is the understanding that I'm not Stephen Hawking or Buddha.

edited for spelling.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Science explains the physical nature of the universe God has created, to include possibly some of the mechanisms involved in its creation, but it will always have its limits, which is what philosophy, which can be tied to or emanate from theology to an extent, is for.
View Quote

Ok, whatever he said, as long as it means God did it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

For those who believe in God, how can something be made out of nothing?

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I believe in a multi-verse.

View Quote

Interestingly, the idea of a multi-verse was discussed by theologians and philosophers centuries ago.  St. Thomas Aquinas, for example, addresses it.  He essentially states that there are not multiple universes, but rather, to the extent there may be other realms which one might call a universe or something along those lines, they all constitute parts of one single universe.  They are all pieces of the puzzle just like those pieces in our observable universe which when combined serve as a display of the perfection of God.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#37]
God said "Let There Be Light"

*bang*
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#38]
God created everything via science.

Do you know the probably of all this shit just happening?

It's in the fucking trillions.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm going to say god before the godless heathens show up
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Oh, is this the weekly "rabid atheists vs religious zealots" slug-fest thread?

I'll be back in a second, need to go grab some popcorn.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For those who do believe in God, how can god come from nothing? Its logically impossible.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coram Deo

God is not bound by the limitations of time and space, for He is not subject to finitude as we are. He can see the end and the beginning, and He is the infinite ground of all reality. This does not mean we cannot distinguish the Lord from creation. He exists in all places, but He cannot be absorbed fully into His creation. And though He transcends time, He can still enter into it in order to accomplish redemption. Meditate on our Father’s infinite character today.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
No, its not.

No such calculation can be done.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
And we're off again.
View Quote

Aint it grand.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Last time I checked god couldn't do this, that's why religions are more ridiculous than any scientific theories.

"Something can't come from nothing, so clearly this means there was this infinitely powerful, complex, conscious entity that did it."

Yeah, that makes sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that makes sense.

I can't think of any serious theologian or Christian philosopher who has made such a statement.  The above is a gross oversimplification of the matter meant to portray those who argue in favour of God in a negative light.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

And yet here we are, with nothing to indicate your, or any other, deity was involved in the process.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Coram Deo

God is not bound by the limitations of time and space, for He is not subject to finitude as we are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Coram Deo

God is not bound by the limitations of time and space, for He is not subject to finitude as we are.
And neither would be the event that "caused" the singularity at the beginning of the big bang, even if that "event" was simply a quantum flucuation, or a collision of hyperdimensional branes.

You can't say "god is not constrained by the laws of the universe" and pretend that "god" is the only entity that could fit this definition.  Infact, god is an unnecessarily complex "outside" entity, just looking at it logically.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Gods had nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:01:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Oh, is this the weekly "rabid atheists vs religious zealots" slug-fest thread?

I'll be back in a second, need to go grab some popcorn.
View Quote

It never really gets old.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I can't think of any serious theologian or Christian philosopher who has made such a statement.  The above is a gross oversimplification of the matter meant to portray those who argue in favour of God in a negative light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that makes sense.

So all the people stating exactly that in this thread are trying to portray religion in a negative light? Who knew?

We don't have 50 threads per year with "theologians" coming in here and laying out logical proofs, we have 50 threads per year with people saying "we don't know, therefore must be god, its got to be".

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Aint it grand.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And we're off again.

Aint it grand.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top