Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone who says they are bored with firing MG's is lying
View Quote

Fired them all the time in the Army.. it's just not that big of a deal to me anymore.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing. I have no real desire to own a machine gun.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#4]
No.  I got most of my MG/bang/boom jollies in the military
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't see a personal benefit to owning an MG. They're probably fun but the price of feeding it would offset that positive aspect. Not to mention the initial price of the gun itself.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#6]
At this point, I don't have a huge desire for a MG (beyond an indescribable longing for a BSA .303 Lewis Gun)... that may change, but right now, nah.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#7]
They are fun, but they are not that fun
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#8]
No, my desire for enjoying life is greater than trying to feed the beast.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got one, but being ex-military I have shot many. So, it's not all that exciting to me.
I have let more people that have never handled full auto shoot it more than I have shot it myself.
That's the enjoyment I get out of it. Seeing that grin on a newbs face. That makes me happy.
I wouldn't compromise my lifestyle just to see someone grin.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Full auto is for rich people with nothing better to do with the money or stupid guys who put a gun ahead of family.  I am neither
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I do want a STG44 pretty bad but I like all my other stuff too
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

MGs are way overrated. It's the "want what you can't have" mentality.

Suppressors are way more fun, and way more obtainable.
View Quote

MG's are way more fun that suppressors... of course suppressed machine guns are the best of both worlds.

I wouldn't change my lifestyle much to get a MG now at today's prices but that is because I'm lucky that I got into them back when they were cheap as in a HK sear was $500 and a M-11 was $350.

Looking back, the only thing I'd have done differently was bought more MG's and less suppressors because the guns are worth 10 to 50 times what I paid for them while the suppressors are nearly worthless due to improvements in technology and transfer taxes.

Sure I'd love a MG-42 but at today's ammo prices, I couldn't afford to feed it but the full auto .22's and 9mm's can be shot often without going broke.

Here is a video of me shooting my M11A1 for the first time a few months ago.  It sat new in the box for 15 plus years and only got shot because I was anxious to try out a Lage Suomi upper.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#13]
no.

I've shot machine-guns while I was in .mil so I know what I'm missing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Machine guns are not really my thing from a hobby perspective.  I have however financed some O/U's and SXS's
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I sold some pmags and bought my link in 2013. It can do 9mm, 45, 223, 300, x39 and even belt fed with a shrike. That's a spectacular amount of versatility and probably all I'll ever buy. I compromised another sr25 to get one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#16]
If I knew where to get it and who to sell it to, I'd totally flip some drugs in order to not only acquire a machine gun, but become debt free as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:38:11 PM EDT
[#17]
If Hughes goes away I'll convert my AK47 and my 16"AR15 but that's cheap to do both. That's all the more I ever need, I was never in the military so I've never had the chance to shoot full auto.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

MG's are way more fun that suppressors... of course suppressed machine guns are the best of both worlds.

I wouldn't change my lifestyle much to get a MG now at today's prices but that is because I'm lucky that I got into them back when they were cheap as in a HK sear was $500 and a M-11 was $350.

Looking back, the only thing I'd have done differently was bought more MG's and less suppressors because the guns are worth 10 to 50 times what I paid for them while the suppressors are nearly worthless due to improvements in technology and transfer taxes.

Sure I'd love a MG-42 but at today's ammo prices, I couldn't afford to feed it but the full auto .22's and 9mm's can be shot often without going broke.

Here is a video of me shooting my M11A1 for the first time a few months ago.  It sat new in the box for 15 plus years and only got shot because I was anxious to try out a Lage Suomi upper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwWzwfiIjJk

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MGs are way overrated. It's the "want what you can't have" mentality.

Suppressors are way more fun, and way more obtainable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwWzwfiIjJk

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:58:18 PM EDT
[#19]
It would take three months of net income. Or a couple of vintage guitars. And a ballectomy when my wife found out.

My thought is that if it ever came down to needing one, I am not going to need to care about legality.

I can mill the parts I need.

I won't lie, machine guns are cool.

I could put it on my visa I suppose.

DAMN YOU ARFCOM
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Pretty much nothing.

Full auto is fun.. but the novelty wears off pretty quick.  Then you just have something that is going to cost about $300+ every time you go to the range since it goes through so much ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are you willing to give up to buy that transferrable, pre-ban machine gun?

Pretty much nothing.

Full auto is fun.. but the novelty wears off pretty quick.  Then you just have something that is going to cost about $300+ every time you go to the range since it goes through so much ammo.

"I can't have a thing, without abusing a thing..." - dskeet
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nothing...
View Quote

This
I own a  transferrable, pre-ban machine gun and the only time it comes out of the safe is to get to something behind it.
It doesn't do a thing for me. After always wanting one, I bought it about 10 years or so ago and had almost immediate buyers remorse.

I don't really enjoy shooting it. I am really into shooting precision groups on paper at longish range. The other big thing about it that sucks is loading the magazines. After the first time I shot it, I loaded a bunch of magazines at home in front of the TV to take out the next day. 10 minutes later when they were gone, I was right back at it. If you have shot an auto pistol very much, you know that loading magazines becomes a pain in the ass (or thumb). Now picture a magazine that holds 32 rounds and is gone in a couple bursts.

If this whole lawsuit thing comes about, and they end up costing about the same as any other gun, I probably still wouldn't buy another one.

I should note that I have a subgun and it really isn't good for anything other than firing full auto. It isn't very accurate. It isn't ergonomic........................ If I had the full auto switch on an M16 I would probably almost never fire it full auto, but at least the gun is something I can use for other things.

I agree with some of the other posts: suppressors are great. SBRs are great. But full auto...............Meh
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Nothing.

Don't really have anywhere I could shoot it frequently. Don't have the wealth to feed a full auto, unless it was maybe .22lr (and neckbeards stop neckbearding all the ammo).

I don't have much desire at all for anything fully automatic.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#23]
No more than I'd give for a nice semi-auto firearm.

FA is a feature - nothing more.

It is not a necessity - or even a particularly important enhancement.

Plenty of non-FA guns have other, better features.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I already gave it all up to live in the country with my family. Poverty sucks. lol
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Nothing I'm waiting on NOLO to win the lawsuit
View Quote

if this happens, MG prices will drop to very reasonable, I won't need to give up or change a damn thing
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:36:47 AM EDT
[#26]
So, let me get this straight: I can give up family members that annoy me and you give me my dream MG?

Done.

I want my M2A1.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:41:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Pretty much nothing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are you willing to give up to buy that transferrable, pre-ban machine gun?

Pretty much nothing.

This. Granted I don't own a full auto but have rented after a few mags it's wow this is expensive.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:47:38 AM EDT
[#28]
As someone who took delivery of his first MG yesterday, and just fired it for the first time today...

I tend to sacrifice somewhat for all of my firearms interests.

I don't buy extravagant things. My house is modest.  I look for good prices on clothes, etc.  I drive an older truck. Now, my wife and child get what they need.  I replaced my wife's vehicle last year with a new car because I wanted the peace of mind that she and my son are safe on the road.

So, I guess you'd say that I sacrificed trying to "keep up with" or "impress" others with a faux lifestyle.  I just have no need to do so.
I've got good friends that share my values, and I have a good and happy family.  I'm good with that.

I joked with my dad today that I'll probably get another MG before I replace my truck.  And I probably will.  One is guaranteed to go down in value.  It isn't the MG-- unless Nola's suit is a success-- and in that case, i am even happier because of what I could get in the future for cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:50:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nothing...
View Quote

Me Either
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:51:22 AM EDT
[#30]
NO, I would not.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:52:45 AM EDT
[#31]
If I wanted one that bad, then I would have one already.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:53:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'd give up waiting for you to show up in the Pit
View Quote

Boom!  
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#33]
No.  I'd love to own a 1918 BAR, and I've notified the wife if we ever hit the powerball I will have one, but barring that, it'll remain a dream.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:58:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Nothing.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:11:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nothing.

Owning a MG would be cool, but the prices of them make them not even desirable for me.  I would rather shoot in semiauto mode anyways.
View Quote

I could go full auto now and then but they're not worth it
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:13:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:14:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:16:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:20:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This is what I'm talking about. I think it's nuts that anyone would pay so much for something like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone who says they are bored with firing MG's is lying

Fired them all the time in the Army.. it's just not that big of a deal to me anymore.

This is what I'm talking about. I think it's nuts that anyone would pay so much for something like that.

Well, it really depends on what MGs you are talking about.

A $60K M60?  Yeah, I get what you are saying.  Even a $16K conversion AR is getting into steep territory.

However.... even with MACs climbing to $5K, there are members here that have not much less than that tied up in top-tier ARs and optics.  I know what I've spent getting my .308 AR to the place I have it, and it isn't very south of that number.

Yesterday, I was offered a Ruger AC556 for $7,500.  If I had the cash available, I would have probably purchased it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#40]
It's hilarious that people actually think this lawsuit has a chance in hell
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:22:47 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a M11, MG34 and an RR m16.

I had a MG42/59 which I sold.

in the end.....I would be happy with just an MG42 again, that was trully a fun gun. But my wife needed money for schooling and I got mines for 3k back in the mid 90's and it needed work...and I sold it for about 29k or so.

my mg34 is nice but it needs maintenance to keep it up and running.

I sound quirky but I really really trully enjoyed firing the Sten....it's just amazing so simple that even the Lage I have doesn't match up to it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:38:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Read the complaint and tell me it doesn't.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:56:32 AM EDT
[#43]
I wouldn't say I have "compromised" my lifestyle to any extent to collect machineguns and I have 15 of them.  Everything from a Mac to an M60.

Have I made choices between buying another machinegun or a new sports/luxury car, another expensive watch, a bass boat,  a whole boatload more of semi-autos, optics/NV, more shotguns, a bunch of Apple bullshit, etc. than sure.  

However, those were all just choices between spending disposable income on one toy vs. another.  Wife and I own our home, max out all of my retirement accounts every year, have no debt, take nice but reasonable vacations every year, and my Grand Cherokee has been a great car.  So my regular life is about as normal and comfortable as I need.

I only take my machineguns out to shoot  three or four times a year, so feeding them isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things.  Maybe a couple thousand rounds per outing.  I maybe spend $2000ish a year on machinegun ammo, which isn't a whole lot compared to a lot of other hobbies like racing cars, being an active clay shooter, or even green fees if you play golf regularly on decent courses.

I guess everyone has their own hobbies but I have enjoyed shooting machineguns ever since I was a kid and while its not as exciting as it was when I was 13 or when I bought my first personal machinegun when I was in my early 20s....it still always bring a smile to let a belt go or dump a mag into some tannerite a couple times a year.

Given where MG pricing is at today and the ever increasing annual cost to insure them I am pretty close to the end of the road of adding new machineguns to the collection (with the exception of a Thompson...one day) unless of course that snowball's chance in hell lawsuit works out....if so I am F1ing a bunch of cool stuff and I wont be as worried about the mileage on my on my current guns anymore.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:07:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This
I own a  transferrable, pre-ban machine gun and the only time it comes out of the safe is to get to something behind it.
It doesn't do a thing for me. After always wanting one, I bought it about 10 years or so ago and had almost immediate buyers remorse.

I don't really enjoy shooting it. I am really into shooting precision groups on paper at longish range. The other big thing about it that sucks is loading the magazines. After the first time I shot it, I loaded a bunch of magazines at home in front of the TV to take out the next day. 10 minutes later when they were gone, I was right back at it. If you have shot an auto pistol very much, you know that loading magazines becomes a pain in the ass (or thumb). Now picture a magazine that holds 32 rounds and is gone in a couple bursts.

If this whole lawsuit thing comes about, and they end up costing about the same as any other gun, I probably still wouldn't buy another one.

I should note that I have a subgun and it really isn't good for anything other than firing full auto. It isn't very accurate. It isn't ergonomic........................ If I had the full auto switch on an M16 I would probably almost never fire it full auto, but at least the gun is something I can use for other things.

I agree with some of the other posts: suppressors are great. SBRs are great. But full auto...............Meh
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing...

This

I honestly think you'd be singing a different tune if you had a different gun.  32 round mag + auto pistol + subgun makes me think you have a Mac 10 or 11.  Honestly, unless you put a Lage upper on them, they're basically useless.  And I can't imagine they're much fun at all.  You're right, the ROF is so fast and the gun is uncontrollable...what fun can you have with it really?

If you had a Sten or an MP40, or an M16, AK, or Uzi I think you'd have a different opinion on how much fun you can have with a mg.  But to each his own.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the complaint and tell me it doesn't.

Read the answer and see if you're just as convinced.

Both sides make interesting and plausible arguments.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:14:43 AM EDT
[#45]
The lage really makes a different gun. Alot of fun but I would still prefer a Sten.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:19:18 AM EDT
[#46]
My dream MG is a nicely refurbed M240.  Given the current going rate of a transferable 240... Yeah right.  Would love to have, but there's no chance in hell I'll be spending that kind of dough on a toy.  A house?  Sure.  A toy?  Nah.

I'm a former infantry machine gunner, and I currently collect a paycheck from a place that allows me more than ample trigger time on multiple beltfeds and the occasional "ooooh, aaaaahhhhh" type of MG, so that keeps my lust and desire quenched enough to realize I couldn't afford to feed the damn thing even if I had it.  A couple thousand rounds only takes a few minutes to blow, and replacing shot-out barrels would be a kick in the teeth by itself.  

So unless this lawsuit actually gets us somewhere, I'll be more than satisfied with semi auto, suppressed SBRs and precision bolt guns.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:38:59 AM EDT
[#47]
I wouldn't change my lifestyle, but a couple years ago I nearly sold most of my collection to buy an M16 lower. Sometimes, I wonder if I made the right choice not to.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:40:57 AM EDT
[#48]
The prices are so insanely high for something that is dirt cheap in every third world shithole that they even have kids waving them around...
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:57:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Nothing...
View Quote

Same here, nothing I'm willing to give up, I'm pretty good at shooting up my ammo as it is...

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a drill press in the shop and a FA LPK in the safe.  I can have one if I wanted one.  

But no, I won't sacrifice 7 months pay for a 1lb chunk of metal.  Then have to drive over an hour away to the public range to shoot....or pay $300/yr and 15hrs labor to the only range around here that allows FA to shoot it...
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top