Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2015 10:19:54 AM EDT
Why in the hell did all of you roll over and accept a complete city closure due to a snow storm?

This is by far the dumbest thing I've ever seen, the kind of police state martial law you are all willing to take is astonishing.

How much longer will it be until NYPD is storming the streets at gun point when a thunderstorm hits? How much are you people actually willing to take?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Really OP? You're drunk, go back to sleep in your double wide.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why in the hell did all of you roll over and accept a complete city closure due to a snow storm?

This is by far the dumbest thing I've ever seen, the kind of police state martial law you are all willing to take is astonishing.

How much longer will it be until NYPD is storming the streets at gun point when a thunderstorm hits? How much are you people actually willing to take?
View Quote

lol.

take your meds.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Plowing was great last night. No assholes on the roads or the highway. Shaved hours of the lap time on my route. In fact I got almost twice the work done in the same amount of time. Came home for a nap and im headed back out to salt and button everything up.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was talking to a friend last night about an upcoming visit. She and her friends were out in Manhattan. It's entirely possible that you're talking right out of your ass.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

#BlackLivesMatter

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Plowing was great last night. No assholes on the roads or the highway. Shaved hours of the lap time on my route. In fact I got almost twice the work done in the same amount of time. Came home for a nap and im headed back out to salt and button everything up.

View Quote
This is the correct answer.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#9]
While the premise behind my question is a valid one. Whether or not (every)anyone followed the decree is another thing entirely.

The fact is they actually came out and shut down the entire city for 4 inches of snow. The level of retardation by elected officials  in that act is almost as pronounced as the lack of ability of GD to spot sarcasm when it's blatant.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#10]
i dont know.  i dont live anywhere near NYC nor have i ever been there, nor will i ever go.  :shrug
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Because even with all of the window dressing, the artifice of progressive noblesse oblige
and five generations in a corner of America remote from its mainstream values,  the common NYC
resident is still just the son of a babushka chomping at the bit to elbow anyone
blocking the path between them and the last rotten head of cabbage in a combloc co-op.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
While the premise behind my question is a valid one. Whether or not (every)anyone followed the decree is another thing entirely.

The fact is they actually came out and shut down the entire city for 4 inches of snow. The level of retardation by elected officials  in that act is almost as pronounced as the lack of ability of GD to spot sarcasm when it's blatant.
View Quote

Do you drive a snow plow?
Cn you drive a snow plow down a road with 50 stranded vehicles littering it?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

still haven't taken those meds have you?   go on, we'll wait
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Did NYC get hammered yesterday, we only got about 2 inches?

From my understanding they aren't really used to large snowfalls there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

good grief, GD is full of people that have no idea what they are talking about.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i dont know.  i dont live anywhere near NYC nor have i ever been there, nor will i ever go.  :shrug
View Quote

You mean NY is a big state with more rural area than not? Who'd a thought?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's my understanding too that everyone from California lives in LA  or SF.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

You don't live there so why do you even care?

#snowmenmatter
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is an acceptable response. Growing up they would close highways during bad storms for plowing also. However it was just the highways. Civilization didn't grind to a steaming halt over 4 inches of snow. In fact, they pre planned for storms and would sand the roads prior to it becoming an issue and the highways were open by the time morning came around.

People COULD still go out, the ones with sense didn't. However if the need arose I never faced "arrest" because of it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Because even with all of the window dressing, the artifice of progressive noblesse oblige and five generations in
a corner America remote from its mainstream values,  the common NYC
resident is still just the son of a babushka chomping at the bit to elbow anyone
blocking the path between them and the last rotten head of cabbage
in a combloc co-op.
View Quote

That's almost poetry there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#22]
I used to love to drive my Jeep Wrangler in Manhattan during snowstorms, If I still owed it I would have done it last night too!
#FUAC
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

#BlackLivesMatter

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

#BlackLivesMatter

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because they wanted a day off from work?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Think about it.

It's not about safety or the snow.  It's about declaring it a disaster area and getting federal funding.  

MO' Money!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

News said 6-8 inches. Meteorologist from the National Weather Service was apologizing on Twitter.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#27]
As a born and raised NYer, I'm a bit perplexed myself.  I don't recall such dire warnings during the blizzards of 1993 and 1978.

I just see it as the increased pussification/sheepification of this country.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

News said 6-8 inches. Meteorologist from the National Weather Service was apologizing on Twitter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They had an inch of snow in time square at 0200. The sky was falling!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last night the hype was 30 inches of snow, record breaking snowfalls for NYC...heck, we only got around 5 inches here.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:51:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

its almost 7hrs to NYC from me.  thats too close still.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
This is an acceptable response. Growing up they would close highways during bad storms for plowing also. However it was just the highways. Civilization didn't grind to a steaming halt over 4 inches of snow. In fact, they pre planned for storms and would sand the roads prior to it becoming an issue and the highways were open by the time morning came around.

People COULD still go out, the ones with sense didn't. However if the need arose I never faced "arrest" because of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've actually had to work road patrol during one of those total travel ban snow storms.  Of course since my Crown Victoria was not exactly good in such conditions I was given a Humvee with two Ohio National Guardsmen to chauffeur me around in style.  They were great guys to work with, a definite can-do attitude and a burning desire to make that truck go places where mere mortals would have probably just called it quits.  I can't say enough good about those guys.  We drove around doing welfare checks on old people who were in danger of freezing because power was out, delivered lots of prescription medications, made more than a couple of milk runs, and generally passed out peace on Earth and good will to men.  I didn't arrest anyone for driving but when they got stuck in a ditch they were screwed because we weren't going to call out a wrecker in those conditions.  Oh, and at a minimum you were getting a failure to control ticket no matter what.  Ain't nobody got time for arresting a guy who just ran his dad's Blazer into a creek.  Most of the people I encountered out on the roads had a fairly reasonable explanation about what they were doing and were doing it in a sensible manner.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#32]

I think I'm supposed to bitch about there being a NYHTF aren't I?

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Awesome lol
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I lived in NYC for over 30 years. I don't think any other city handles snow better than NYC and the DSNY.

I'm also pretty sure they were expecting a major snowstorm that didn't produce. Better to error on the side of caution than have a bunch of idiots stranded everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've actually had to work road patrol during one of those total travel ban snow storms.  Of course since my Crown Victoria was not exactly good in such conditions I was given a Humvee with two Ohio National Guardsmen to chauffeur me around in style.  They were great guys to work with, a definite can-do attitude and a burning desire to make that truck go places where mere mortals would have probably just called it quits.  I can't say enough good about those guys.  We drove around doing welfare checks on old people who were in danger of freezing because power was out, delivered lots of prescription medications, made more than a couple of milk runs, and generally passed out peace on Earth and good will to men.  I didn't arrest anyone for driving but when they got stuck in a ditch they were screwed because we weren't going to call out a wrecker in those conditions. Oh, and at a minimum you were getting a failure to control ticket no matter what.  Ain't nobody got time for arresting a guy who just ran his dad's Blazer into a creek.  Most of the people I encountered out on the roads had a fairly reasonable explanation about what they were doing and were doing it in a sensible manner.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've actually had to work road patrol during one of those total travel ban snow storms.  Of course since my Crown Victoria was not exactly good in such conditions I was given a Humvee with two Ohio National Guardsmen to chauffeur me around in style.  They were great guys to work with, a definite can-do attitude and a burning desire to make that truck go places where mere mortals would have probably just called it quits.  I can't say enough good about those guys.  We drove around doing welfare checks on old people who were in danger of freezing because power was out, delivered lots of prescription medications, made more than a couple of milk runs, and generally passed out peace on Earth and good will to men.  I didn't arrest anyone for driving but when they got stuck in a ditch they were screwed because we weren't going to call out a wrecker in those conditions. Oh, and at a minimum you were getting a failure to control ticket no matter what.  Ain't nobody got time for arresting a guy who just ran his dad's Blazer into a creek.  Most of the people I encountered out on the roads had a fairly reasonable explanation about what they were doing and were doing it in a sensible manner.  

This was always my experience growing up as well. No one ever had the audacity to go on the news and tell us we'd be arrested for going out in a storm. They would be run the fuck out of town if they even hinted at it.

The real point I was trying to make with the OP with the grotesquely obvious sarcasm was how much of this bullshit is New york State going to put up with and accept before putting their foot down?

Hell, Boston got a foot and a half of snow and that shit wasn't shut down. It was only New York and New Jersey. Emperor Quomo was just on saying the roads are now open, but he will smack your peepee if you are out and don't have a darn good reason to be.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#36]
You suck at sarcasm.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#37]

It's for the children........

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Hit my bodega for coffee @ 0600a, they had newspapers and the day's baked goods delivered.

Taxis and gypsy cabs and delivery trucks and POV's driving down b'way.

OP is retarded.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because even with all of the window dressing, the artifice of progressive noblesse oblige and five generations in
a corner America remote from its mainstream values,  the common NYC
blocking the path between them and the last rotten head of cabbage
in a combloc co-op.

Indeed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Fuck driving a Town Car in the snow.

ETA: and the Escalades are 2wd.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#41]
The most deserted I've ever seen Lower Manhattan was the day after hurricane Irene in '11.

Very little traffic, few cops, almost no pedestrians.

Very weird feeling.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#42]
We didn't close down.  Got a few inches last night, roads weren't bad today.  Saw one tractor holding up traffic in the other direction, but hey, farmers gotta farm, right?

New York is a big state, no idea what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Did anyone catch the fact that this commie mayor banned food delivery bicycles stating they are not emergency vehicles.
All an excercise to see if the sheep will comply.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why did you roll over and accept Harry Reid as your senator ?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We didn't close down.  Got a few inches last night, roads weren't bad today.  Saw one tractor holding up traffic in the other direction, but hey, farmers gotta farm, right?

View Quote

Skip to 1:00

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:02:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/RnsO3ZuyOQI
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/RnsO3ZuyOQI
No.  I'm not tied to a chair with my eyes taped open.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

zing
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Meh, if I had an important enough reason to drive around in that shitshow, I would have.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hindsight being 20/20 and all that.  I'm about 12 miles east of the city and I have 18 inches.  The city was projected to get much more than it did.  Do us all a favor and STFU.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#50]
because the prediction a day before the storm hit was 24-36" plus crazy high winds.  the storm moved a little east so it didnt turn out as bad.

and people could still walk (which is how most people there get around)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top