BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Minuteman is a teabagger 1%er racist term, and must be deprecated. It paints an unfair picture of the United States as a bastion of individual rebellion against order. The new series will be Coexist I, and under the new international treaties will have a maximum operating range limited to the borders of the country.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Relacement for the Minuteman III will be the Minuteman IV.

Duh!

Minuteman is a teabagger 1%er racist term, and must be deprecated. It paints an unfair picture of the United States as a bastion of individual rebellion against order. The new series will be Coexist I, and under the new international treaties will have a maximum operating range limited to the borders of the country.

A related funny (, not ) story--one of the refreshes they did was to wash out the old fuel (it was starting to crack after 30 years), and repour the downstages.  

One of the requirements was the fuel had to be environmentally friendly.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

D5 is only around 25 and suppose to serve in to the 2040s
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
scrap 'em all for more D5s.

Won't fit in the current launchers.  Also, the cost to make MM LCCs and ground equipment to hablo Trident is...expensive.

Still doesn't solve the real problem. Trident's damn near 40 years old itself.  So now you're talking a 1980's Mustang.

Unless you go to a new basing system. In which case you might as well start with a blank sheet of paper, instead of trying to get a fish to operate a bicycle.

True, but that's fielded.  Designed, tested and built long before that (design phase started in 1972).

Still doesn't solve the other (really expensive, and potentially insurmountable) retrofit issues.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://images.gizmag.com/inline/stratolaunch-0.jpg

Replace that space launcher on the center pylon with a rotary single warhead ICBM launcher.

You have a half-million pounds to play with, how many midget man type missiles could you load?

Understand, being air-launched, you could likely drop about 5%-10% from each missiles mass and still have the same performance as a ground launch missile.

That thing combines a Bomber, a Sub and an ICBM all in one.

You can keep several airborne over the Pacific and they would be untouchable.

BTW, that 6 engine plane is not just a concept, metal is being bent as of now.  It's called Stratolaunch.
View Quote

That is retarded and expensive. It makes sense to cut the costs of repeated single use boosters or extend their payload by having a reusable first stage, the ONE (or two) aircraft you have to support the launch of dozens or hundreds of boosters.

If you need 500 aircraft, and you have to pay for fuel and maintenance, and a flight crew for EACH ballistic missile? That would be more expensive than Chrome Dome, which we stopped doing because it cost too much. Which means your aircraft end up sitting alert at vulnerable air bases, and wait we are going back back BACK in time!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
With a rotary launcher, you could get many small ICBM's on that thing.  You have a half-million pound payload to play with.

How much does a SSBN cost?  A handful of these could do the same job.  Midgetman weighed 30,000lbs.  You could carry a half a subs worth of missiles on one plane.
View Quote

No.  Knock down one bird, have one lightning strike, for that matter one oil leak, and a significant portion of your deterrent force is grounded.  And that could be the hard way, if it happens in flight.  Easy experiment to prove that Newton is a harsh and angry god and expects to be obeyed.  That never ends well for the nuclear weapons.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Relevant : http://secure.afa.org/CorpMembers/Breakfast-1-20-15-Harencak.asp

Major General Garrett Harencak

Assistant Chief of Staff for Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration

Jan 20th 2015

Edited to add:

I lost my shit when I read "cisgendering rape missiles".    good one LX

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Paging Lima-Xray...Mr. Xray, please pick up the red curiosity phone...

I know we negotiated away the MX ("peacekeeper") during the last treaty with the Russians, but why design yet another new missile when that one seems to be a great system?  And of course spend tons of money doing it.  I'm, all for updating our nukes & delivery systems, but wasn't the MX the greatest delivery system ever created?  Why reinvent the wheel?

War is Boring article
View Quote

Miniaturization is the ticket!  

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
With a rotary launcher, you could get many small ICBM's on that thing.  You have a half-million pound payload to play with.

How much does a SSBN cost?  A handful of these could do the same job.  Midgetman weighed 30,000lbs.  You could carry a half a subs worth of missiles on one plane.
View Quote

Let's assume we build a midgetman

So you put 15 Midgetmen on one of those. You need 20 of those aircraft, 300 missiles, to equal the 1 SSBN's payload. Or 40 planes and 700 missiles to reasonably replace the ICBMs, but you don't get the quick launch because you have to scramble your alert force to get any of the missiles off... and you aren't going to sit all 30 planes on alert. Where are you going to place them? We have 450 aimpoints with the ICBMs. Put 3 squadrons at 3 specialized bases and you have a TINY number of aimpoints.

It needs 12,000ft of runway to takeoff and is designed to land WITHOUT its 500,000# payload. That requires a lot of improvements to the few bases that it would be at (again vulnerable) and limits using civilian abort runways... and lets talk about adverse weather operations.... and a crash? Keeping a nuclear weapon protected in a crash is different when you have 200 tons of rocket fuel thrown on the crash.

BTW a Stratolaunch for nuclear deterrrence is going to cost 1 billion per aircraft easy (2-3x the civilian spacelaunch version). So $20 billion of aircraft to match 1 SSBN. The replacement SSBN is estimated to cost ~$4 billion.

You have found something that is actually more expensive than a SSBN and doesn't have the advantages of survivability, dispersion, and quick reaction that the ICBMs have unless you perform high risk high cost orbiting patrols that we abandoned in 1968.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's the more accurate missile
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A related funny (, not ) story--one of the refreshes they did was to wash out the old fuel (it was starting to crack after 30 years), and repour the downstages.  

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/gwlek.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duh!

The next missile upgrades will require zero radioactive waste after detonation.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#11]
LX didn't Northrop Grumman do a guidance upgrade in 2008? http://www.irconnect.com/noc/press/pages/news_releases.html?d=138025

Or is that what you meant by just refreshing the old tech rather than entirely new guidance like GPS or GPS III or something else entirely?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duh!

I was laughing so hard at that picture my wife had to come see what the deal was, absolutely fantastic!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:50:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
LX didn't Northrop Grumman do a guidance upgrade in 2008? http://www.irconnect.com/noc/press/pages/news_releases.html?d=138025  

Or is that what you meant by just refreshing the old tech rather than entirely new guidance like GPS or GPS III or something else entirely?
View Quote

Software update. Parts of the guidance computer upgraded.  New wiring harness.  Didn't touch the accelerometers made when Ford was President.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:31:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:34:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I was fortunate enough to have an opportuniy to tour a launch facility a couple of months ago.....Very cool
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#19]
It would have been a whole lot cheaper to just make a single warhead system for the Peacekeeper.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:55:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LX I miss your old avatar of the MIRV's. just sayin........
View Quote

I kinda do too.  . But it doesn't fit the landscape format avatars very well at all.  Thanks, Goatboy.  

For the record, that was a many moons ago.  Tells me we've both been here too long.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:58:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't think we even completed an MX "Dense Pack" installation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It would have been a whole lot cheaper to just make a single warhead system for the Peacekeeper.

I don't think we even completed an MX "Dense Pack" installation.

Never started.  One of many basing concepts canxed as too expensive.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:59:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duh!

I lol at that Walking Dead funny.    
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:02:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Your topic got me looking at missiles and shit.

Came across this photo of something I have never seen or heard of.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj220/fshoutowtr/MMIII_C5_airdropOct_1974.jpg
View Quote

Yes, let's put not only a nuclear warhead on a plane, but a giant missile, too.

What could possibly wrong?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Sixty thousand pounds of self-oxidizing fuel and a nuke on an airplane, ready to light five seconds after it clears the ramp.  

[Venkman] I love this plan, and I'm excited to be a part of it!  [/Venkman]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:27:58 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'm more surprised from reading the article that the AF has a plan to replace its old UH-1s with used UH-60s for security work in the ICBM fields.
View Quote

I was sitting at the truck stop outside Cheyenne one day, and spent a while watching a Huey with a FLIR camera circle around, got a few pictures. At the last second, I look over in another direction, and saw the missile transporter convoy go past on the freeway. Almost missed it because I was watching the helo

Almost as much fun as realizing that all those funny trucks with .gov plates passing you are an NNSA convoy...

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:21:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:22:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Based on the life extension program, which may or may not work out as planned.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Won't fit in the current launchers.  Also, the cost to make MM LCCs and ground equipment to hablo Trident is...expensive.

Still doesn't solve the real problem. Trident's damn near 40 years old itself.  So now you're talking a 1980's Mustang.

Unless you go to a new basing system. In which case you might as well start with a blank sheet of paper, instead of trying to get a fish to operate a bicycle.

Based on the life extension program, which may or may not work out as planned.

The guys at SSP who run the program don't really agree since they bought 100 plus new boosters and the RVs are already being modernized.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#30]
The concerning part to me is the need for a new warhead design.

How can you absolutely trust a piece of equipment that complicated and technical when you will never, ever get to actually test it?

Modeling, mock ups and inert core testing are great... But I seem to recall reading about numerous "WTF?" moments in the history of warhead design.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#31]
I seem to recall reading a story where the stabilizing/shock isolation foam in some of our nuclear warheads was beginning to deteriorate and we no longer know how to make it as everyone involved in the development had retired and accurate record weren't kept for security reasons. Off to Google.

ETA: Here's the story, it's the W76 warhead.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2009/03/09/nuclear-warhead-upgrade-delayed-government-labs-forgot-how-to-make-parts/
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't know how dropping the 3 warhead MM for the single warhead has adjusted the throw weight, but the specificity of the mission for which we developed MM no longer applies.  Whether MMIII has the flexibility a multi-polar nuclear environment requires is a key question to which I don't have the answer.  And I know LX would be throwing out some gumbo if i asked, so I ll leave that as a thought problem for the student.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I seem to recall reading a story where the stabilizing/shock isolation foam in some of our nuclear warheads was beginning to deteriorate and we no longer know how to make it as everyone involved in the development had retired and accurate record weren't kept for security reasons. Off to Google.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2009/03/09/nuclear-warhead-upgrade-delayed-government-labs-forgot-how-to-make-parts/
View Quote

Highlights the OTHER problem between waiting too long between refreshes.  The 80lb heads who solved all the engineering problems the last time are all deep in the grip of Alzheimer's, or dead.

During the pours for the downstages, they had a problem getting the fuel right.  Kept getting inconsistent burn rates, etc.  

Same thing with the aerogel, they scoured the engineering notes and spent a lot of money on troubleshooting. They finally found the ONE GUY from Thiokol who was A) still alive and B) still knew who his wife was, and asked him what they did to solve the problem the last time.  Turns out it was something simple like "mix it at 10° higher temp" or "add a cup of baking soda to the mix".  

The intellectual capital needed to design something as significantly complex as an ICBM or SLBM, and especially the warheads for same, is not something you can keep on the shelf and break out every 20 or 30 years.  The interns working on the program today are going to be the project managers the next time around, with no one in between to provide the mid-level engineering and managerial expertise, continuity, and corporate knowledge necessary to do it smoothly, efficiently, or in some cases safely.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Highlights the OTHER problem between waiting too long between refreshes.  The 80lb heads who solved all the engineering problems the last time are all deep in the grip of Alzheimer's, or dead.

During the pours for the downstages, they had a problem getting the fuel right.  Kept getting inconsistent burn rates, etc.  

Same thing with the aerogel, they scoured the engineering notes and spent a lot of money on troubleshooting. They finally found the ONE GUY from Thiokol who was A) still alive and B) still knew who his wife was, and asked him what they did to solve the problem the last time.  Turns out it was something simple like "mix it at 10° higher temp" or "add a cup of baking soda to the mix".  

The intellectual capital needed to design something as significantly complex as an ICBM or SLBM, and especially the warheads for same, is not something you can keep on the shelf and break out every 20 or 30 years.  The interns working on the program today are going to be the project managers the next time around, with no one in between to provide the mid-level engineering and managerial expertise, continuity, and corporate knowledge necessary to do it smoothly, efficiently, or in some cases safely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also applies to nuclear submarines, aircraft, tanks, etc.  

Never mind the theoretical warhead work that we can't even train anymore.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't know how dropping the 3 warhead MM for the single warhead has adjusted the throw weight, but the specificity of the mission for which we developed MM no longer applies.  Whether MMIII has the flexibility a multi-polar nuclear environment requires is a key question to which I don't have the answer.  And I know LX would be throwing out some gumbo if i asked, so I ll leave that as a thought problem for the student.
View Quote

Well, it still does apply, because the target sets from back then are still around (Russia).  The numbers may be smaller all around, but the fact is that we still have a peer competitor in the nuclear world, and that's not going to change soon, as long as Russia keeps producing Topols.

What has changed is the wide variety of new target sets that have emerged over the last, say, 30 years (Topol-M would be just one example).  So in order to remain a credible deterrent, the new ground-based strategic deterrent needs to be able to hold them at risk, too, as much as possible and within the capabilities of that platform (i.e., some targets are just better serviced by an air-breather than an IC).  The MMIII has the flexibility today, but it's like the 78 year old guy still going to the yoga class.  He can do it, but the younger folk can do it better.  Even if it was something as simple as modifying the software to pick a flight path NOT over the Arctic Circle, suddenly you have a much more credible threat to some of the newer and emerging targets.

And while I'm not into gumbo, I do have the credible threat of a chocolate-raspberry cheesecake ready in the launch tube.  Don't make me turn that key....  
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#36]
So why was the MX taken offline and removed from service?  Growing up I thought that was the uber missile, super accurate, etc?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So why was the MX taken offline and removed from service?  Growing up I thought that was the uber missile, super accurate, etc?
View Quote

cause commies.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a common problem. A LOT of institutional memory and transfer of expertise is lost when engineering is done as a one-off piece of work. We're suffering from the same problems related to some manufacturing sectors that have recently moved back to the US after being overseas for some time. It's VERY expensive to redesign the wheel from the ground up. Interestingly, while we were on vacation, I picked up a $3 mechanics of materials book published in 1885. It has 4 chapters on stresses in gun barrels, as that industry was the one driving most of the materials development at the time
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're a dying breed. I'm friends with an old timer who graduated from GA Tech and went to work for GM developing their first robotic arms. He then went onto Lockheed and worked on the lifting system for the Polaris missile system to load them into subs. Smartest person I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

cause commies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

cause commies.

Yep.  Got ALL KINDS of concessions in other areas by putting PK on the table.  Then the USSR went away, we never ratified the treaty, but followed it anyway and deactivated them.

They are destabilizing.  If I as Russia can hit 50 launch facilities before they're empty, I can save 500 targets from destruction.  It encourages an adversary to think about preemptive strikes as being more rewarding than "launch on warning".
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yep.  Got ALL KINDS of concessions in other areas by putting PK on the table.  Then the USSR went away, we never ratified the treaty, but followed it anyway and deactivated them.

They are destabilizing.  If I as Russia can hit 50 launch facilities before they're empty, I can save 500 targets from destruction.  It encourages an adversary to think about preemptive strikes as being more rewarding than "launch on warning".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

cause commies.

Still aren't going to get the Ohios, so irrelevent.

More important than inventory is testing and investment.  A nuclear deterrence is an expensive waste if you can't demontrate a political will to use them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Well, it still does apply, because the target sets from back then are still around (Russia).  The numbers may be smaller all around, but the fact is that we still have a peer competitor in the nuclear world, and that's not going to change soon, as long as Russia keeps producing Topols.

What has changed is the wide variety of new target sets that have emerged over the last, say, 30 years (Topol-M would be just one example).  So in order to remain a credible deterrent, the new ground-based strategic deterrent needs to be able to hold them at risk, too, as much as possible and within the capabilities of that platform (i.e., some targets are just better serviced by an air-breather than an IC).  The MMIII has the flexibility today, but it's like the 78 year old guy still going to the yoga class.  He can do it, but the younger folk can do it better.  Even if it was something as simple as modifying the software to pick a flight path NOT over the Arctic Circle, suddenly you have a much more credible threat to some of the newer and emerging targets.

And while I'm not into gumbo, I do have the credible threat of a chocolate-raspberry cheesecake ready in the launch tube.  Don't make me turn that key....  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess the point being our ICBM deterrent was designed for one mission.  Its a much more complex environment now, obviously.  Look at your avatar.  You want A or B?  Cause thats all you get (well, you get the point).

I am not saying Russia has gone away, but it is arguably not even the primary threat in a limited exchange.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Since it's the guys at SSP are the ones directing our activities I'll disagree with you.

Yeah we're "modernizing" (i.e. life extension program), but we're already working on a replacement.
View Quote

That kind of like saying we are working on a replacement for the M16; sure it is always happening but it like the D5 are stilling going to be here for a while
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

On the former we test launch vehicles all the time, I wish that were true of the warheads.

As for the latter, I don't know how you'd do that especially as it varies from administration to administration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More important than inventory is testing and investment.  A nuclear deterrence is an expensive waste if you can't demontrate a political will to use them.

On the former we test launch vehicles all the time, I wish that were true of the warheads.

As for the latter, I don't know how you'd do that especially as it varies from administration to administration.

The FCET for the Tridents have gone extremely well
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't see Cameroon as an important nuclear target that we have to keep under pressure all the time [url]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

Yet.

precisely why I plan to build my secret base there.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

but unlike a sub, everybody who cared, would know where the plane was.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#50]
we need to fund the RRW as well.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top