Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/26/2015 6:31:14 PM EDT
Paging Lima-Xray...Mr. Xray, please pick up the red curiosity phone...

I know we negotiated away the MX ("peacekeeper") during the last treaty with the Russians, but why design yet another new missile when that one seems to be a great system?  And of course spend tons of money doing it.  I'm, all for updating our nukes & delivery systems, but wasn't the MX the greatest delivery system ever created?  Why reinvent the wheel?

War is Boring article
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought this one would certainly get a response by now.

Do you even ICBM, bro?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems like the ground facilities are overdue for an upgrade.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Relacement for the Minuteman III will be the Minuteman IV.

Duh!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#4]
One reason for not using the MX booster, is the the Peacekeeper missile is 10 ft longer and 2 feet wider than the MMIII, meaning presumably, that the existing silos would have to be re-done or replaced and that's different in my view than being "rejuventated" as the article states.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I suspect Osama, crap, I mean oBAMA, may just give away our nuclear strike force to the mid-east countries as a form of redistribution of wealth... He just needs to finish replacing enough senior military leadership with his own folk so there won't be any..... unpleasantness...

So, now tell me, who amongst you in 2015 thinks that scenario is totally off the table?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I suspect Osama, crap, I mean oBAMA, may just give away our nuclear strike force to the mid-east countries as a form of redistribution of wealth... He just needs to finish replacing enough senior military leadership with his own folk so there won't be any..... unpleasantness...

So, now tell me, who amongst you in 2015 thinks that scenario is totally off the table?
View Quote

Those among us who aren't idiots...
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#8]
With the accuracy and throw weight of our D5 SLBMs, is there a reason for a continued ground based deterrent other than to stave off the instability that would occur if somehow our sea based deterrent were to become vulnerable overnight?

After all, our target is as likely to be Iran or China in the future as opposed to Russia.

I understand that the ground based option is cheaper to maintain, but if facing a completely new booster, silo, and C3 system, is it still cheaper amortized across the lifespan, or should we be instead investing that into new submarines and new warheads while scrapping the ground based option?

Pointedly, the British and the French rely almost entirely on their sea based deterrent force. The only other country with global reaching triad is Russia.

Do we need a triad for more reason than "we've always done it that way" or "keeping both the Navy and USAF happy?" What leg(s) do we cut if we cut any?

How do new hypersonic technologies play into this decision? Everyone is hellbent on that right now...

These are honest questions.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Your topic got me looking at missiles and shit.

Came across this photo of something I have never seen or heard of.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Your topic got me looking at missiles and shit.

Came across this photo of something I have never seen or heard of.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj220/fshoutowtr/MMIII_C5_airdropOct_1974.jpg
View Quote

^that was filed in the round bin marked "proved we can because AMERICA but boy is this a stupid and expensive idea in practice"
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#13]
In before lima.

My guess is that it's going to take a president very unlike our current one or the likely next one to so much as talk about updating our nuclear arsenal to improve its capabilities.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
With the accuracy and throw weight of our D5 SLBMs, is there a reason for a continued ground based deterrent other than to stave off the instability that would occur if somehow our sea based deterrent were to become vulnerable overnight?

After all, our target is as likely to be Iran or China in the future as opposed to Russia.

I understand that the ground based option is cheaper to maintain, but if facing a completely new booster, silo, and C3 system, is it still cheaper amortized across the lifespan, or should we be instead investing that into new submarines and new warheads while scrapping the ground based option?

Pointedly, the British and the French rely almost entirely on their sea based deterrent force. The only other country with global reaching triad is Russia.

Do we need a triad for more reason than "we've always done it that way" or "keeping both the Navy and USAF happy?" What leg(s) do we cut if we cut any?

How do new hypersonic technologies play into this decision? Everyone is hellbent on that right now...

View Quote

My guess is that ground-based missiles don't have the size constraints of an SLBM, but I'm more or less totally uneducated on the subject. Land-based missiles are probably easier to make sure you always have hit-a-target-anywhere-anytime capability, whereas sub-based missiles likely have shorter range capabilities, and would thus require that our sub fleet be distributed around the globe to maintain a full nuclear deterrent. I suppose that would be based on the assumption, however, that we would ahve to be able to nuke anything at a moment's notice, when the actual target list is likely more constrained. I don't see Cameroon as an important nuclear target that we have to keep under pressure all the time
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I know we negotiated away the MX ("peacekeeper") during the last treaty with the Russians, but why design yet another new missile when that one seems to be a great system?  And of course spend tons of money doing it.  I'm, all for updating our nukes & delivery systems, but wasn't the MX the greatest delivery system ever created?  Why reinvent the wheel?

War is Boring article
View Quote
if we replaced things when they should be the budget retardation wouldnt be much of an issue.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not for the SLBMs, but IIRC we can put decoys on the MMs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you even ICBM, bro?

We also negotiated away MIRVs, not much new to add.

I believe the MMIII can carry up to three warheads.
MMIII MIRV

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#17]
America’s nuclear weapons stockpile in 2014, accounting for deployed and non-deployed assets, included 698 Minuteman missiles, 56 Peacekeeper missiles, and 411 Trident II missiles
View Quote

That is a shit ton of satellite launchers! Why aren't we converting and using those? Each Titan II can put 4 tons into LEO.

1600 tons to LEO would require a lot of orbital assembly but that's enough booster to get a few Mars missions into LEO (equivalent to what 12 Saturn Vs could do, the MX boosters make it 13 or 14).

The Minutemen boosters wouldn't do much... unless you threw a booster on top and bam you have 698 resupply rockets for multiyear Mars colonies, cheap, with backups if it goes boom.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#18]
scrap 'em all for more D5s.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Duh!
View Quote

Minuteman is a teabagger 1%er racist term, and must be deprecated. It paints an unfair picture of the United States as a bastion of individual rebellion against order. The new series will be Coexist I, and under the new international treaties will have a maximum operating range limited to the borders of the country.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Titan II boosters were used for a few satellite launches--I believe with a perfect record.  Peacekeeper (MX) boosters are used by Orbital Science Corp. for satellite launches currently.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My guess is that ground-based missiles don't have the size constraints of an SLBM, but I'm more or less totally uneducated on the subject. Land-based missiles are probably easier to make sure you always have hit-a-target-anywhere-anytime capability, whereas sub-based missiles likely have shorter range capabilities, and would thus require that our sub fleet be distributed around the globe to maintain a full nuclear deterrent. I suppose that would be based on the assumption, however, that we would ahve to be able to nuke anything at a moment's notice, when the actual target list is likely more constrained. I don't see Cameroon as an important nuclear target that we have to keep under pressure all the time
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The D5 allows us the capability to have a credible survivable and highly accurate second strike capability with up to 14 RVs per D5. It is accurate enough for counter-force or decapitating first strikes...

But if loaded with the same load as a Minutemand III they are capable of striking even farther  intercontinental targets while sitting in port between deterrence cruises! Less survivable than a submerged sub in the open ocean, but they have the range.

Size isn't the argument. The D5 is twice the mass of a Minuteman III.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

War is Boring article
View Quote

Because the stuff we have is the equivalent of expecting a 66 Mustang to do well in the 2030 Daytona 500.  Nice, does what it does VERY well, but it's not up to 2030 standards, parts are now VERY hard to come by...and there's just SO MUCH BETTER technology available, that why would you expect to win with a 60-year old vehicle?

Long pole in the tent is guidance systems.  Over the last 15 years, we've been slowly upgrading ('refreshing' is probably a better word) the MMIII...except for the guidance system. As a cost-cutting measure, we're still using the Pendulous Integrated Gyroscopic Accelerometers (PIGAs) from the 1970's upgrade to the can.  

And we only have spare cans (guidance system, its dimensions give it the appearance of a tuna can) to test-launch through 2030.  Which means that for every test launch (used to determine and verify the reliability of a nuclear weapon, kinda important) after that, we now have to take a sortie off alert...for good.  

The MMIII is a Cold War weapon.  It was designed for a very specific adversary and mission.  (There's a reason all of them are aligned to the north.)  While that mission is kinda still there (jokes about "easy buttons" and 'resets' not withstanding), there are other missions that the ICBM force just isn't as capable of doing, if we had a newer, more flexible missile.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#23]
The next land based ICBM needs to be mobile. Train, truck, whatever. With Pk of modern adversary (I.e. Russian) ICBMs being essentially 1.0, the next system must be survivable.

Having said that, the capability of upgraded Minuteman IIIs is good, their survivability is not.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The D5 allows us the capability to have a credible survivable and highly accurate second strike capability with up to 14 RVs per D5. It is accurate enough for counter-force or decapitating first strikes...

But if loaded with the same load as a Minutemand III they are capable of striking even farther  intercontinental targets while sitting in port between deterrence cruises! Less survivable than a submerged sub in the open ocean, but they have the range.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting!

The more you know
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#25]
What I don't understand is why our military planners always know what the enemy will do and that there will be no surprises or unexpected weapons on their part.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're from the early 60s, so yeah.  But that's one of the problems.  I did the math around 2000, the cost of building a new launch facility adjusted for inflation was.....

$1.6 billion.  Each. We have 450 on alert now.  

The sites are actually doing pretty well for being over 50.  The concrete is holding up okay, but it's the supporting and connecting infrastructure (12 baud comm system, for example) that needs a serious refresh.  And nuclear-certified anything costs money.  Lots of it.

Then add the idiocy of (some)Congresscritters saying things like "If we buy you a better missile, you'll just want to use it, and that's destabilizing," and that's why we are in the corner we're in.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

03'r > 14'r
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#29]
An ICBM replacement will, along with a SSBN replacement, take a big chunk out of our military budgets for a decade or so, starting soon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you even ICBM, bro?

We also negotiated away MIRVs, not much new to add.

You're just asking for a recipe, aren't you?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They're from the early 60s, so yeah.  But that's one of the problems.  I did the math around 2000, the cost of building a new launch facility adjusted for inflation was.....

The sites are actually doing pretty well for being over 50.  The concrete is holding up okay, but it's the supporting and connecting infrastructure (12 baud comm system, for example) that needs a serious refresh.  And nuclear-certified anything costs money.  Lots of it.

Then add the idiocy of (some)Congresscritters saying things like "If we buy you a better missile, you'll just want to use it, and that's destabilizing," and that's why we are in the corner we're in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, think of what it would take to get congress to simplify the tax code or balance a budget, then picture a serious discussion about improving our nuclear weapons. Things would have to look a LOT different. My guess is they'd give it serious consideration right after a monumental cock-up or a devastating first strike, but not before then.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#32]
LX about how often have we been launching test MM3?

(I'm not asking him for recipes since the US is treaty bound to announce all launches ahead of time to keep the other countries from confusing planned tests with hostile launches)
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My guess is that ground-based missiles don't have the size constraints of an SLBM, but I'm more or less totally uneducated on the subject. Land-based missiles are probably easier to make sure you always have hit-a-target-anywhere-anytime capability, whereas sub-based missiles likely have shorter range capabilities, and would thus require that our sub fleet be distributed around the globe to maintain a full nuclear deterrent. I suppose that would be based on the assumption, however, that we would ahve to be able to nuke anything at a moment's notice, when the actual target list is likely more constrained.[/img]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My guess is that ground-based missiles don't have the size constraints of an SLBM, but I'm more or less totally uneducated on the subject. Land-based missiles are probably easier to make sure you always have hit-a-target-anywhere-anytime capability, whereas sub-based missiles likely have shorter range capabilities, and would thus require that our sub fleet be distributed around the globe to maintain a full nuclear deterrent. I suppose that would be based on the assumption, however, that we would ahve to be able to nuke anything at a moment's notice, when the actual target list is likely more constrained.[/img]

The current gen of SLBMs are actually on par with the ICs in terms of throw-weight and accuracy.  Remember, the D5 came around about the same time as PK, so they use similar technology.  

Short primer on the Triad:

- Bombers--visibly stageable (for deterrent/saber-rattling effects); recallable AND retargetable in flight right up to release; slow to generate, slow Time on Target, fairly fragile and can be shot down easily; overflight's a problem, not a lot of them or their support bases and EADs are a bitch.
- Subs:  "Hide with pride" (VERY hard to find, therefore survivable); accurate, can get in close to someone's coast (which means warning and assessment has to happen in seconds, not minutes), carry enough cans of sunshine that they're a credible second-strike deterrent threat, but....not recallable, not retargetable after launch, they take a long time to get to launch position, there are only two support bases (easily targetable), they're REALLY expensive, sink one (hell, have one T-bone a sperm whale and sink with all hands) and not only have you just lost a large chunk of your RV count, but you may not even (or ever) know it happened.
- ICs:  Quickest response force (minutes instead of hours); quickly retargetable before launch; flexible, accurate (because of fixed launch facilities); dispersed nature complicates adversary targeting because of the number of aimpoints; heartland/homeland location makes issues of attacks on national sovereignty CRYSTAL clear; cheaper than either of the other two legs, but...not recallable/retargetable after launch, fixed locations are a mixed blessing, and the dispersed nature of the weapons are a security nightmare.

I don't see Cameroon as an important nuclear target that we have to keep under pressure all the time [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

Yet.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:53:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That is a shit ton of satellite launchers! Why aren't we converting and using those? Each Titan II can put 4 tons into LEO.

1600 tons to LEO would require a lot of orbital assembly but that's enough booster to get a few Mars missions into LEO (equivalent to what 12 Saturn Vs could do, the MX boosters make it 13 or 14).

The Minutemen boosters wouldn't do much... unless you threw a booster on top and bam you have 698 resupply rockets for multiyear Mars colonies, cheap, with backups if it goes boom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
America’s nuclear weapons stockpile in 2014, accounting for deployed and non-deployed assets, included 698 Minuteman missiles, 56 Peacekeeper missiles, and 411 Trident II missiles

That's total # of boosters.  450 of those Minuteman are on alert. Some of those are MMII, not III downstages.  And we test launch three a year (ish).
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm more surprised from reading the article that the AF has a plan to replace its old UH-1s with used UH-60s for security work in the ICBM fields.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Won't fit in the current launchers.  Also, the cost to make MM LCCs and ground equipment to hablo Trident is...expensive.

Still doesn't solve the real problem. Trident's damn near 40 years old itself.  So now you're talking a 1980's Mustang.

Unless you go to a new basing system. In which case you might as well start with a blank sheet of paper, instead of trying to get a fish to operate a bicycle.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Minuteman is a teabagger 1%er racist term, and must be deprecated. It paints an unfair picture of the United States as a bastion of individual rebellion against order. The new series will be Coexist I, and under the new international treaties will have a maximum operating range limited to the borders of the country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duh!

And since they're all shaped like giant phalluses (phallii?) that they want to put into deep, dark holes, it's just another example of the patriarchy raping the world with their cisgendering rape missiles.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

[snip]

Yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

[snip]

I don't see Cameroon as an important nuclear target that we have to keep under pressure all the time [url]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

Yet.

From what I learned over there, you could bribe your way straight to the top levels of their government, and they wouldn't even bat an eye. Save the nukes. Bribe foreign politicians
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And since they're all shaped like giant phalluses (phallii?) that they want to put into deep, dark holes, it's just another example of the patriarchy raping the world with their cisgendering rape missiles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duh!

Coexist I carrying Mk. IV Heterocage warheads?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He'd be very happy with getting rid of our nuclear force...and #3 on 45 steps to communist take over of America is?

3. Develop the illusion that total disarmament [by] the
   United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The next land based ICBM needs to be mobile. Train, truck, whatever. With Pk of modern adversary (I.e. Russian) ICBMs being essentially 1.0, the next system must be survivable.

Having said that, the capability of upgraded Minuteman IIIs is good, their survivability is not.
View Quote

Looked into that.  Mobile is a security nightmare, and they have to be based out of somewhere. Now you're no better off than having the three bomber or two sub bases.  Nuke, slime or bug a single base--heck, blow up the road/rail  leading OUT of the base, and you've just made a significant chunk of our deterrent forces a sitting duck.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
An ICBM replacement will, along with a SSBN replacement, take a big chunk out of our military budgets for a decade or so, starting soon.
View Quote

Eh, who needs military superiority, anyways?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
LX about how often have we been launching test MM3?

(I'm not asking him for recipes since the US is treaty bound to announce all launches ahead of time to keep the other countries from confusing planned tests with hostile launches)
View Quote

Like I said, about three-ish a year now.  Used to be closer to 5 or six back when we had 1K on alert.

Glory Trips.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm more surprised from reading the article that the AF has a plan to replace its old UH-1s with used UH-60s for security work in the ICBM fields.
View Quote

They (security forces and the helo squadrons) have been asking for UH1 replacements for twenty years.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

From what I learned over there, you could bribe your way straight to the top levels of their government, and they wouldn't even bat an eye. Save the nukes. Bribe foreign politicians
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[snip]

I don't see Cameroon as an important nuclear target that we have to keep under pressure all the time [url]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

Yet.

Definitely cheaper.  And you get to save the plutonium for our more...valued customers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Definitely cheaper.  And you get to save the plutonium for our more...valued customers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[snip]

Yet.

Gives a whole new meaning to rolling out the red carpet...
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

War is Boring article
View Quote

Great System, but there have been quantum leaps in processors and guidance technology since then.
These newer systems would result in a smaller CEP (Circular Error Probability) which would increase the probability
of taking out a hardened silo or bunker.

BUILD new missiles and warheads, put them on armored trains, and trucks instead of in stationary silos.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Won't fit in the current launchers.  Also, the cost to make MM LCCs and ground equipment to hablo Trident is...expensive.

Still doesn't solve the real problem. Trident's damn near 40 years old itself.  So now you're talking a 1980's Mustang.

Unless you go to a new basing system. In which case you might as well start with a blank sheet of paper, instead of trying to get a fish to operate a bicycle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

D5 is only around 25 and suppose to serve in to the 2040s
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Great System, but there have been quantum leaps in processors and guidance technology since then.
These newer systems would result in a smaller CEP (Circular Error Probability) which would increase the probability

BUILD new missiles and warheads, put them on armored trains, and trucks instead of in stationary silos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

War is Boring article

AF and NNSA have enough problems with security of fixed sites.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top