Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most guys here don't wear theirs.
View Quote

Same here..........they apparently want to show off their shaved heads.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Pictures were posted. They were wearing cheap looking mesh vests with various pockets on them. Some had on thigh holsters. They were wearing t-shirts, not polos. Several of them were fat. They basically looked like they came straight from a gun show.

I don't recall which agency it was. I believe the pictures were taken on I-75 or I-285.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had a thread on this a while back. Traffic cops around Atlanta were wearing multi-cam BDU pants, t-shirts with tac-vests over top, and baseball caps. They looked like Joe the rag man.

And was this a verified sighting or just some guy claiming what he "saw"?
I bet they were external plate carriers not "tac vests"
Yes, some agencies have gone to ball caps. Being a southern dept it wouldn't surprise me that some agencies have adopted them over a hotter alternative
I bet the "tee shirt" was a polo

Pictures were posted. They were wearing cheap looking mesh vests with various pockets on them. Some had on thigh holsters. They were wearing t-shirts, not polos. Several of them were fat. They basically looked like they came straight from a gun show.

I don't recall which agency it was. I believe the pictures were taken on I-75 or I-285.

Any cop who does a traffic stop is not a traffic cop. They are just a cop. Or they may be on a swat or tactical team. They may be a k9 unit or neighborhood impact section. They could be an interdiction unit. Any cop can do a traffic stop, regardless of their assignment
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I vote for road cones.  Mototard is the only one that ever got the headwear right.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I vote for road cones.  Mototard is the only one that ever got the headwear right.
View Quote

Safety first.  Anyone that doesn't support high viability headgear wants dead cops.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Safety first.  Anyone that doesn't support high viability headgear wants dead cops.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And reflective vests, 24/7 just to be sure.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Exactly. They have done extensive studies with convicted cop killers. Across the board, they said they picked officers who were sloppily dressed, or out of shape.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been my experience when a warden insisted on staff being properly turned out morale improvimportantst acted more professional despite themselves. Don't think the convicts did not notice a difference too.

You look like slob on the job and that's exactly the way you would be treated.

Exactly. They have done extensive studies with convicted cop killers. Across the board, they said they picked officers who were sloppily dressed, or out of shape.

I would bank on the fact that most of those "sloppily dressed" officers were wearing a class bravo or alpha uniform. You can look sloppy wearing a tux. Uniform standards are about how the uniform is worn. Its also very important that the officer be physically capable of making it look good. Ive known some guys that were great cops. But an overweight cop will never have the command presence of a fit cop, I dont care if the fit cop is wearing bike shorts and a leather horse helmet and and overweight cop is in afull class A.

Same goes for the bean poles that look like they have a cape on because their shirts are so big and they cant keep their gun belt up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had a thread on this a while back. Traffic cops around Atlanta were wearing multi-cam BDU pants, t-shirts with tac-vests over top, and baseball caps. They looked like Joe the rag man.

Yes, some agencies have gone to ball caps. Being a southern dept it wouldn't surprise me that some agencies have adopted them over a hotter alternative

Lies.

http://tvblogs.nationalgeographic.com/files/2014/04/ASTPremiere-590x442.jpg
Tactical vest yo.

So much better on the back.

Wish we used those.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wish we used those.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wish we used those.

Me too. Those would have been great.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Unless it stops bullets, mandatory headgear is kinda dumb.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I really feel for the Rhode Island mounties.
View All Quotes

I don't.  Those uniforms are bad-ass.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I want my trash man to wear slacks and a dress shirt. I mean after all he does work for the city
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:30:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I saw what I think was a bullet resistant vest, but if you looked quickly it looked like a uniform shirt, I think it might have even had a clip on tie and shirt pockets. I think one of the sheriffs around here issues them but I just saw the deputy walking down the hall and didn't really pay attention  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lies.

Tactical vest yo.
I saw what I think was a bullet resistant vest, but if you looked quickly it looked like a uniform shirt, I think it might have even had a clip on tie and shirt pockets. I think one of the sheriffs around here issues them but I just saw the deputy walking down the hall and didn't really pay attention  

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:17:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:22:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Modern cowboy look?                                                                                                                                                          
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:25:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Modern cowboy look?                                                                                                                                                           http://www.cjad.com/Pics/news/chat3.JPG
View Quote

Jeans???!!! Sign me up!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:27:12 AM EDT
[#18]
They should also be required to wear large framed mirrored aviator style sunglasses in the warmer months.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:33:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I want my trash man to wear slacks and a dress shirt. I mean after all he does work for the city
View Quote

I would like fast food employees to be required to wear a belt... they provide a service to the community afterall.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't give a shit what they wear, as long as it is uniform and they aren't fat.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They are either good cops or they arent. What they wear makes no difference. I wear a BDU style uniform unless im on a special detail or court... but it serves a purpose in my assignment. I dont know what the hang up on uniforms is here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my old town in NY they wore black cargos, boots, soft armor that said POLICE on it and black baseball hats with the town police emblem on it. Their idea of professional was looking like a SWAT team waiting for a call at every road block. One guy even pulled me over once and was wearing short sleeves with the body armor on and had a full sleeve on one arm.

They are either good cops or they arent. What they wear makes no difference. I wear a BDU style uniform unless im on a special detail or court... but it serves a purpose in my assignment. I dont know what the hang up on uniforms is here

Cargo Pockets???  You Militarized SUMBITCH!!!!!!!!!!!    

Apparently my old dept's next chief is a real Hat Guy...which is funny since I dont EVER remember him wearing one as a Patrolman when he didnt absolutely have to.....
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My brother is a Police Chief. He made his patrol guys dump the tactical vests and ball caps. They went back to police hats, ties, and shined shoes.
View Quote

And that is how you lose the support of your officers.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The hat is the most immediately item of recognition for a police office/deputy sheriff.  That said, short of a riot where brain buckets should be mandatory, it should be left to the department's discretion whether its officers are required to wear headgear.
View Quote

The last time  Y dept actually issued helmets was 1989...adn the ones they got were so cheap,  the skirt around the nape of the neck cracked and fell away within a couple of years....
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Apparently my old dept's next chief is a real Hat Guy...which is funny since I dont EVER remember him wearing one as a Patrolman when he didnt absolutely have to.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my old town in NY they wore black cargos, boots, soft armor that said POLICE on it and black baseball hats with the town police emblem on it. Their idea of professional was looking like a SWAT team waiting for a call at every road block. One guy even pulled me over once and was wearing short sleeves with the body armor on and had a full sleeve on one arm.

If only I could have a beard ha... most of the guys here would have a stroke if they saw me... I shave my head too... and have for years before I was on the job.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They had electricity back then?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's what I wore.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=72229

They actually serve a purpose.  In the dark, you can easily identify a police officer by the shape of his hat.  I did it many times.

But, but, but...what about cop impersonators?

To be fair though, back O_P's day they were using flashlights that put out about the same amount of light as a candle.  Hence the original designation of "candle power".  

They had electricity back then?

Hamsters running around inside the light
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Not that I condone it, but I sometimes wonder if an extra-judicial beating was a "Come to Jesus" moment that put some would-be career criminals on the path to becoming productive citizens vs. being burdened with a criminal record hindering their chances at gainful employment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Officer Friendly in the top picture was more likely to beat the shit out of you scot-free for a perceived "attitude" than Team Tacticool in the bottom picture.

Only if you really needed it.

Not that I condone it, but I sometimes wonder if an extra-judicial beating was a "Come to Jesus" moment that put some would-be career criminals on the path to becoming productive citizens vs. being burdened with a criminal record hindering their chances at gainful employment.

All I can say is that our "Regular Customers" from that era (Guys that were in their 30's and early 40's when I was a rook)were almost ALWAYS pretty polite, respectful, and cooperative... the younger shitheads were always more prone to try and fight you...  I also founf that my carrying a wooden straight stick, usually garnered more cooperation that guys from my own series with PR-24's....  it was all about the perception...  Shiny and new they figured you were an easy get-over...once your gear had some wear on it, they were way more wary...  Smarted thing I did was buy a retiring guy's Leather coat.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hey, how about detectives?

They ought to wear fedoras like they're supposed to.
View Quote

Crap...you're gonna make me dig out some of the old pics from my dept from the 60's I found, arent you????
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Makes this funny sound, you know?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back in the day, I was issued a standard 2 cell flashlight.  I didn't think it was bright enough so bought my own flashlight, a 5 cell flashlight.

And let me guess, you saw the light from one end, and perps saw it from the other?

Makes this funny sound, you know?

something like Bonk..Monk...damn i just cant recall it........    

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:24:57 PM EDT
[#30]

No more Oxblood Gauntlets??????
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Where, praytell, are there traffic cops in multi-cam uniform?  I know policing is regional, but I've never seen it here in CA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel cops should have to dress professionally and officially hats and all.   No reason for traffic cops to be in multicam.

Where, praytell, are there traffic cops in multi-cam uniform?  I know policing is regional, but I've never seen it here in CA.

Nor in NJ
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Come on O_P, tell us the other use for those two foot long flashlights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's what I wore.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=72229

They actually serve a purpose.  In the dark, you can easily identify a police officer by the shape of his hat.  I did it many times.

We have these things made by Surefire, now, that allow you to see the whole person.  Waaaaayyy better than a Kel-Light.

Believe it or not, there are times when you might want to remain in the dark so as not to give yourself away to some bad guys.

Come on O_P, tell us the other use for those two foot long flashlights.

Fungo Bats  
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm reminded of the time I got my balls busted by the Chief for unshined shoes in the morning after I'd worked a night shift in which I'd stuck my patrol car on a muddy road and ran over a quarter mile on the same muddy road to help a deputy who was fighting a suspect.

"Why are your shoes so filthy?"

"Because I work..."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My brother is a Police Chief. He made his patrol guys dump the tactical vests and ball caps. They went back to police hats, ties, and shined shoes.

Chief Buzz Killington?  That had to effectively nuke the morale of the department.

I'm reminded of the time I got my balls busted by the Chief for unshined shoes in the morning after I'd worked a night shift in which I'd stuck my patrol car on a muddy road and ran over a quarter mile on the same muddy road to help a deputy who was fighting a suspect.

"Why are your shoes so filthy?"

"Because I work..."

Been there done that......it was worth the Vacation day
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't care what hat they wear but they should have to drive around with their flashing lights on all the time.  It would be much safer.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Imo Bicycle helmets should be standard for all police officers.

officers wearing bike helmets look less imposing and friendlier.

https://johnsgarret.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/seattle-police-2.jpg?w=900&h=900
View Quote

Bike cops remind me of this, everytime.

"Get your own fucking frisby!"

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Wish we used those.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lies.

Tactical vest yo.

Wish we used those.

As i was getting out Blauer was contemplating bringing back the "Blending' Vest carriers again...... I havent paid attention to see if they went with it or not, but i know my chief was considering authorizing them if they looked decent.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The last time my dept. actually issued helmets was 1989...and the ones they got were so cheap,  the skirt around the nape of the neck cracked and fell away within a couple of years....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The hat is the most immediately item of recognition for a police office/deputy sheriff.  That said, short of a riot where brain buckets should be mandatory, it should be left to the department's discretion whether its officers are required to wear headgear.

The last time my dept. actually issued helmets was 1989...and the ones they got were so cheap,  the skirt around the nape of the neck cracked and fell away within a couple of years....

Right out of the academy I dropped my brand new "riot helmet" two feet onto the ground and the face shield broke into pieces. I'd hate to see what would happen if it was hit with a rock or bottle.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don't care what hat they wear but they should have to drive around with their flashing lights on all the time.  It would be much safer.
View Quote

NYPD did that last summer.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1654817_.html
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some agencies now require officers that are "in service" to drive with their "alley" lights on or some other form of colored non flashing light on. There are also some agencies that mandate that officers wear their traffic vest when out on foot patrols... im guessing the brass at those agencies is prior .mil
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Police officers should wear a pickelhaube. Then they can stab the bad guys with it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#41]
When I was with the Sheriffs we were issued those vests that are supposed to look like a uniform shirt. Problem was that after you washed your shirts a couple times they were a different shade of blue and you looked like a goof. They also issued us campaign-type hats that were so fragile the brims would break off if they fell off your desk. Of course, a clip-on tie was mandatory at all times, even when driving the paddy wagon, searching prisoners, or washing vehicles.

As a Park Narc we patrol with cargo pants, external vest (no MOLLE), and ball caps. Dress uniform has a stetson.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much
If the chief wants to sit in his office or at one of his multitude of meetings and look all pressed that's fine.
Don't make your guys waste time to maintain that standard in a working environment
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taking a page from Japanese LE

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#44]
This hat just screams "FAAAAABULOUS!!!!"

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You really shouldn't. I like it. And if I like it, there's other ladies who do too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You really shouldn't. I like it. And if I like it, there's other ladies who do too.

Irene?

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/08/va-beach-sheriffs-office-changes-its-uniform-colors

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.  Funny how that works.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He also put the veto on changing from the Leather Coat to a modern Blauer parka... again  I get it, we have "Traditions...but traditions dont keep you warm in a snowstorm at 3am on the highway
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#48]

No full sleeve on this happy chief, hell his taxpayers are hugging him.

"Joe, a piece of the Constitution is still stuck to your shoe"

"Sorry boss, was just in the shitter"

Is this a vital part of looking "professional"?

Are you the guy in the light blue shirt?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Nor in NJ
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel cops should have to dress professionally and officially hats and all.   No reason for traffic cops to be in multicam.

Nor in NJ

Nor in Texas.  Maybe he's remembering a porn video?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top