Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:06:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Do they have other guns? If not, get them shotguns-maybe a 20 gauge for your brother, you didn't mention the type of shoulder injury he had. Sure, a shotgun's not "ideal" for home defense, but anything that can legally be done with a firearm can be done with a shotgun, so it's perfect for the "one gun" gunowner. To me, SHTF is not just self defense necessities, but the likelihood of having to kill my own food. With only one gun, it's a lot cheaper to get different ammo for different purposed than buy another gun.

ETA-I'd try to find something with 24" or shorter barrel and choke tubes to add to the usefulness. 28+ is great for a hunting gun but a bit much for all around, do-it-all stuff.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:08:00 AM EDT
[#2]
How about a Tavor? It uses 5.56 ammo, it's very reliable, and it's short so it's maneuverable indoors and out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:21:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308

Caliber enough to take any game in the US. 10 round mag. Short barrel won't get in the way but can still reach out and touch someone.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:26:14 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, to answer some of the other questions.  

Yes, they both have guns; brother has a shotgun he hunts deer with and the BIL has a little mouse gun that's about a hundred years old (.25 his grandfather gave him).

No, they don't know about this, which is part of the reason I'd like something they'll enjoy taking to the range (which will make them more comfortable with it and then a better shot).

Shotgun and a good pistol might be a good choice for the BIL, lots of police trade-ins I see around town.  

Again, thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:31:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What rock have you been hiding under?

Supply starts to dry up and demand is still there, prices go up. Simple.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF is going on?
Beater SKS' are over $300? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU ................

The only reason SKS and AKs were cool is because they were dirt cheap and so was the ammo. At these prices I would recommend jumping to a low end AR. PA / PSA / Sporter version, etc.

SKS' used to be "I don't care if it gets stolen" beater truck guns. WTF happened?

How insightful.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:31:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

and strippers.
View All Quotes

Breeding stock?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:36:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Ok, so just what the title says- I'm looking to buy my brother and brother-in-law a rifle in case of an emergency.  I'd like to keep the total cost (rifles and a few magazines each) under $1k.  I've considered ARs and AKs, the kits can be put together with receivers I already own and magazines from my own stash.  I've also looked at the VZ2008s from PSA and at the lower end the Hi Point carbines.  I'm just looking for advice to see if I'm overlooking something.

Things I need to consider.  My brother is a bit of a Fudd, he was in the National Guard (sort of, he didn't finish basic due to a bad shoulder injury) so he has some familiarity with ARs.  My brother-in-law is not a gun guy at all but does occasionally go to the range with his brother and I, so he isn't opposed to them.  I'd like whatever I get them to be as reliable and foolproof as possible. Lastly, if possible, I'd like the rifle to not be terribly intimidating so their wives can operate it if needed.

For the TLDR crowd- I'm looking to spend $1k max on two SHTF rifles for family and I want to know if I've overlooked anything outside of the AR\AK families or the Hi Points.  Both have experience with guns but are not "gun guys".  I want it to be reliable and user friendly enough the wife units can use it.

My angus is peppered, let me have it.

View Quote
If Brother in Law does not OWN a rifle, he probably should not be trusted with firearms in a dangerous or marginal situation.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:52:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How insightful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF is going on?
Beater SKS' are over $300? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU ................

The only reason SKS and AKs were cool is because they were dirt cheap and so was the ammo. At these prices I would recommend jumping to a low end AR. PA / PSA / Sporter version, etc.

SKS' used to be "I don't care if it gets stolen" beater truck guns. WTF happened?

How insightful.

Happy to help
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:11:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OK, to answer some of the other questions.  

Yes, they both have guns; brother has a shotgun he hunts deer with and the BIL has a little mouse gun that's about a hundred years old (.25 his grandfather gave him).

No, they don't know about this, which is part of the reason I'd like something they'll enjoy taking to the range (which will make them more comfortable with it and then a better shot).

Shotgun and a good pistol might be a good choice for the BIL, lots of police trade-ins I see around town.  

Again, thanks for the help.
View Quote

Sent you a PM.  Hope it helps somewhat.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:13:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:28:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Mini14s, even on the used market cost more than entry level ARs now.
There is no way he is getting two of them and mags for a grand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mini 14 Ranch, it'll have enough of a FUDD look it won't scare him and if you just get him the rifle and some mags, no optics.

That way he can use the same ammo you do with your AR's, and 4-6 mags will last him awhile.

1000K does limit you, and SKS's have taken a jump in price to where you might get 2 for that but it would be close.

Mini14s, even on the used market cost more than entry level ARs now.
There is no way he is getting two of them and mags for a grand.

Granted, but if he can get his brother and brother in law to foot the bill then they could get those and not have something that looks like a EBR.

In the situations the OP is describing I believe those family members will lose their "FUDDNESS" real quick, so if it were me I'd build a couple entry level AR's using PSA kits and teach both how to use them.

I have a family member who is like that, thought EBR's were bad. Ferguson change her mind on that so as weather allows she wants me to teach her how to use a AR or my Mini-14. I have 6 AR's currently and when family asks why I always tell them.....see 5 of them, if the SHTF you will be carrying one
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:38:50 AM EDT
[#12]
A couple spikes ARs from Aim Surplus
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:43:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:45:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Go to AIM Surplus. For a grand you can get two Yugo SKS rifles and a buttload of cheap steelcased ammo for them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:50:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Go with the SKSs. Cheap and reliable.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:51:01 AM EDT
[#16]
AK plain and simple.
They're semi cheap now, ammo is easy to find and cheap and they're fun as hell to shoot.
If a scrawny little tribesman can pick one up and defend his hut with no training, so can you they.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:55:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
AK plain and simple.
They're semi cheap now, ammo is easy to find and cheap and they're fun as hell to shoot.
If a scrawny little tribesman can pick one up and defend his hut with no training, so can you they.
View Quote

He can show them how to go down to the stream, cycle the action with the AK submerged, and say it's clean.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:59:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My brother is a bit of a Fudd, he was in the National Guard (sort of, he didn't finish basic due to a bad shoulder injury) so he has some familiarity with ARs.  My brother-in-law is not a gun guy at all but does occasionally go to the range with his brother and I, so he isn't opposed to them.  I'd like whatever I get them to be as reliable and foolproof as possible. Lastly, if possible, I'd like the rifle to not be terribly intimidating so their wives can operate it if needed.
View Quote

30-30 levergun.

Compact, reliable, simple to operate, inexpensive, uses readily-available ammo.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:00:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

He can show them how to go down to the stream, cycle the action with the AK submerged, and say it's clean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AK plain and simple.

Hey, mud can be a lubricant
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:56:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd have to vote SKS as being the most bang for the buck on this budget, though stripper clips will not make them as user-friendly as an AK, let alone an AR.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:37:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Coupla' used .30-30's from the pawnshop.

Should be around 200 each
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:24:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Two 9mm handguns from a decent manufacturer.  The odds are astronomically low that people are going to be walking around with rifles slung, SHTF or otherwise.  A handgun is light and easy to carry/conceal.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:54:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
1st. Anyone worth having a gun probably already has one.

But if I was dead set on buying them anything with that budget.  2 cheap semi auto pistols. Like a police trade in Glock, P85, etc. And a cheap 12 ga pump for each

100rds of cheap HP each, few boxes of buckshot, few slugs and some bird shot. Toss in  a holster.
View Quote

This, I think, should take care of likely "SHTF" scenarios.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#24]
You know a nice 357, 44, or 45LC lever action wouldn't be a terrible choice if their womens are wanting to be able to use it. Very low recoil, accurate, dependable. It wouldn't be my top choice but would be very versatile. You could take a lot of game with them, and with the levereverlution ammo it would extend your range considerably. Plus you could match pistols and have ammo that goes for both guns. I think there is a lot of advantages to that setup.

Especially in like a Rossi or Marlin, you could get out fairly inexpensive on the rifles. Ammo cost stocking up would be a downside.

Just throwing out a different option than the norm.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Spoken by someone who has never owned or shot one, clearly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only SHTF going on is buying two rifles for under $1k. Good luck with that. lol Also, for the love of god don't buy a hi point. I'm not sure why you even mentioned that here. You may as well get them a pointy stick.

ETA if you're talking Mosins, then yeah you could do that, but not AK's or AR's.

Spoken by someone who has never owned or shot one, clearly.

I know, right?

I fully understand the hate for Hi point, and they are ugly compared to other more popular carbines, but they go bang, are somewhat accurate and take magazines. You can even dress them up a bit so they don't look so fugly.

If a Hi point was all I could afford (for what ever reason) I would not have any second thoughts to defending my life with one. (assuming it's not a melon, which can happen to any gun.)
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Here's what I would go with AK
ammo
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Columbus huh?
Keep an eye out for police trade in hand/long guns at Vance's.

Nothing wrong with Hi-Points... just ugly as sin and made of cast zinc alloy so they are much larger than they need to be.  Their carbines are less fugly than their pistols and have functioned 100% from what I have seen.  Plus they are an Ohio company so you'd be supporting a local company.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Get whatever is compatible with what you have/stock.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
SHTF to me would imply that when things get really bad you want something really good.  If it is the whole 'trunk gun' concept of getting home that's one thing, but if this is THE go to weapon of choice?  Hmm.  
View Quote

I would tend to agree. If it's going to be your only rifle, better make it a decent one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How about a Tavor? It uses 5.56 ammo, it's very reliable, and it's short so it's maneuverable indoors and out.
View Quote

Did you even read (or comprehend) the OP's post?  Where the blue fuck can you get TWO Tavors and mags for under $1000?

The thread has turned into 'name a gun, any gun'.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Did you even read (or comprehend) the OP's post?  Where the blue fuck can you get TWO Tavors and mags for under $1000?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They all do.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308

Caliber enough to take any game in the US. 10 round mag. Short barrel won't get in the way but can still reach out and touch someone.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/media/1528647/2035disaster_heggenstaller.jpg
View Quote

Checked three distributers.  Best price so far, $823.86 FOR ONE RIFLE (OP needs TWO).

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#33]
For SHTF?

AR 15..........end of thread.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Have them buy their own damn gun.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#35]
hERE

Just get a couple of Anderson lowers and your set.   Upgrade over time.    Outfit mult people for SHTF.

Win
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
hERE

Just get a couple of Anderson lowers and your set.   Upgrade over time.    Outfit mult people for SHTF.

Win
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#37]
2 beat up Chinese sks, 2 cases of ammo, bunch of stripper clips, 2 cheap sks chest rigs and 2 gallons of gas to help remove the cosmo.  Your welcome

You could do 2 AR's for under $1000 but then not as much ammo.  They need some rounds down range to get comfy with and proficient with. I'm going to say the whole SHTF is too much of a fantasy that we all spend too much time on, me included.  That said I have 4 AR's ready for fo time.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#38]
3rd post
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Get a couple SKS's and ammo.  Mild recoil, good for SHTF and easy for women to shoot.  Use bayonet when ammo is gone.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Columbus huh?
Keep an eye out for police trade in hand/long guns at Vance's.

Nothing wrong with Hi-Points... just ugly as sin and made of cast zinc alloy so they are much larger than they need to be.  Their carbines are less fugly than their pistols and have functioned 100% from what I have seen.  Plus they are an Ohio company so you'd be supporting a local company.

View Quote

I bought a Hi-Point .45 carbine this year, just to have one. Great gun for what it is. And, in the interest of accessorizing, the rail under the barrel makes one of those goofy handgun bayonets fit quite well. I did put the bayonet on my M&P9 first though.

Two Hi-Point carbines in caliber of your choice, two entry level weapon lights, two extra mags for each and two red dot optics should come in well under the $1000 mark too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ok, so just what the title says- I'm looking to buy my brother and brother-in-law a rifle in case of an emergency.  I'd like to keep the total cost (rifles and a few magazines each) under $1k.  I've considered ARs and AKs, the kits can be put together with receivers I already own and magazines from my own stash.  I've also looked at the VZ2008s from PSA and at the lower end the Hi Point carbines.  I'm just looking for advice to see if I'm overlooking something.

Things I need to consider.  My brother is a bit of a Fudd, he was in the National Guard (sort of, he didn't finish basic due to a bad shoulder injury) so he has some familiarity with ARs.  My brother-in-law is not a gun guy at all but does occasionally go to the range with his brother and I, so he isn't opposed to them.  I'd like whatever I get them to be as reliable and foolproof as possible. Lastly, if possible, I'd like the rifle to not be terribly intimidating so their wives can operate it if needed.

For the TLDR crowd- I'm looking to spend $1k max on two SHTF rifles for family and I want to know if I've overlooked anything outside of the AR\AK families or the Hi Points.  Both have experience with guns but are not "gun guys".  I want it to be reliable and user friendly enough the wife units can use it.

My angus is peppered, let me have it.

View Quote

Why are you buying them guns for SHTF? Shouldn't that be their responsibility? If there are any real concerns about SHTF, guns are far down the list of things to take care of....IMHO.

If they are grown men with/out families, that should be THEIR concern.  If for whatever reasons you decide to buy something for them. Find out what they WANT and then go from there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

What kind of SHTF are we talking here?
View Quote
This. For example. My SHTF  scenario is location specific. Meaning for me hurricanes. Meaning most likely an evacuation situation.  That requires something completely different from say a snowpocalypse or a loss of food delivery. While stuck in one place

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#43]
You're over thinking things.
Get each one a 12 gauge pump shotgun.
There are package deals available right now.

They can train the wimmins and kids with reduced recoil ammo.
Very versatile ammo selection. In a real emergency, everybody will have 12 gauge ammo.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought Rem 870's for a couple friends one year thinking that would give me some guys to go throw clays with.  Both tapco fucked them, cut them down to 18", and have only shot them once or twice.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top