Page / 13
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:09:13 AM EDT
[#1]
That's awesome e.  Good job,
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was wondering about that. I had originally bought some 16' 4x4s for that purpose, but decided against it.  

The wind can only come from the field, since it's covered in trees on the other three sides.

Think it's worth a re-visit?

<--- not a builder by trade.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
very lucky daughter

Put some cross braces on the legs and make sure you have really good attachment from the posts to the structure.

You don't want all that hard work to blow over in a high wind.

I was wondering about that. I had originally bought some 16' 4x4s for that purpose, but decided against it.  

The wind can only come from the field, since it's covered in trees on the other three sides.

Take a look at this link for a guide for the bottom 1/2
http://www.awc.org/publications/dca/dca6/dca6-09.pdf
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:57:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks cool. I don't see anything actually anchoring the legs to the ground.  Yes in normal winds the weight of the structure should keep it down.  But in high winds such as a tornado or worse a straight line wind that structure would become a kite when the wind got under it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:02:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice deer stand.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:13:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Outstanding!!!! you sir are an excellent dad!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Looks like it could double as a deluxe deer blind for dad
View Quote

I'm sure the tree house will have heat, carpet, tv...

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Awesome thread.

I agree that you need cross bracing, treated lumber, and treated lag bolts. You don't have to go from corner to corner. You can use shorter lumber to go from the center of the platform to the center of the corner post. Do that in both directions. Use lock washers and double nut the bolts anyway. You should have staggered blocks in between the joists to keep them from rolling.

Right now it seems sturdy, because the fasteners are taking all the load for you. The wood will relax around the fasteners over time, and the fasteners will corrode. You need to have everything mechanically/structurally locked into position such that the fasteners' only job is to keep the pieces in alignment.

IE: The brace/blocks keep the joists from rolling, and the fasteners only have to keep the blocks from falling out. The fasteners aren't holding the structure.

Make blocks and bolt them to the vertical posts under your 'beams'. One block on each side. Through bolted. That way the beam is held up by the shear strength of the lag bolt.

Inspect the structure every Sping and Fall. Go up there and shift your weight hard in every direction. You'll find that things have come loose, fasteners need to be replaced, and braces need to be added in order to keep it solid. You have to maintenance it every year or it will become unsafe.

Sorry to give you lots to do, but you'll wish you burnt it down if your daughter were ever to get hurt in it.
View Quote

Good stuff guys.

I'll get on it.

So here's my list.

1. Cross Braces (from 6x6 to 6x6 top to bottom, inside and out, with lags)

2. Blocks between joists

The internal posts are weight bearing.

Also, TRG, you mentioned outriggers, WTF is that?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

very lucky daughter

Put some cross braces on the legs and make sure you have really good attachment from the posts to the structure.

Well according to page 8, I'm all fucked up.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Looks cool. I don't see anything actually anchoring the legs to the ground.  Yes in normal winds the weight of the structure should keep it down.  But in high winds such as a tornado or worse a straight line wind that structure would become a kite when the wind got under it.
View Quote

The four corners are buried 3'.

Not sure if that's enough.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Just mail my hunting permit and I'll see you next fall.  

3 1/2 out

View Quote
Come on out bro!!

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, I could not see the ground but now I see one photo where the corner post is in the ground.  With the cross bracing that the others are suggesting it should help.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
very lucky daughter

Yeah .. you got a couple of things that really need to be addressed.

Outriggers are long boards placed at the corners to transfer the forces further away from the center of the structure.  In effect, they make your 12x12 a 30x30 in terms of its center of gravity.

Like on an outrigger canoe.  Harder to topple.

You should know this Hawaii 5-0...

TRG

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Outriggers are long boards placed at the corners to transfer the forces further away from the center of the structure.  In effect, they make your 12x12 a 30x30 in terms of its center of gravity.

TRG

View Quote

Hell man I'm pleading ignorance on this. I wish my old man could come over here, he knows all of this shit.

I'm going to buy some 2x8 cross braces this weekend.

I'll start with that, and go from there.

I figure an X brace pair on each side, plus the supports between the 2x6s under the platform should keep it from folding up due to winds.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Actually, she will. It's about 500 ft from home, but solar + car battery + POE = wireless bridge.  

Girls gotta watch Netflix.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got wifi in that treestand?
Actually, she will. It's about 500 ft from home, but solar + car battery + POE = wireless bridge.  

Girls gotta watch Netflix.

And here I've got to watch it on my phone when I play in the kid's "tree house" in the fall.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Man, I fail at life - I make a very good salary for my AO and still can't imagine having the money, time, and land required for such a project.

Good on you, though. She'll love it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Hell man I'm pleading ignorance on this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

No need to plead.  We figured it out.  

Here is an example of outriggers.  I used them on my deer blind I built last Christmas.

Adds stability.

You can also see the lag bolts used on each post.

And the X bracing.  These 1x4 lathes are dirt cheap.  pressure treated.  Lots of lumbe yards have the 'warped ones' at big discounts. Works perfectly for lightweight, but rigid bracing.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Do you plan to add any diagonal bracing around the exterior of the poles?
Oops, I see someone has asked that.
You don't want the wind to blow it over, looks nice.
I was always building a tree house when I was a teen in Alabama, mine was always attached to trees.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Do you plan to add any diagonal bracing around the exterior of the poles?

Oops, I see someone has asked that.

You don't want the wind to blow it over, looks nice.

I was always building a tree house when I was a teen in Alabama, mine was always attached to trees.

View Quote
Yea, that was one of the things I wanted to do, but the lack of close together-large trees combined with the long term issues of the trees growing/dying, I figured I was better off building it free-standing next to a tree.

You guys think 2x8 is too much for the X braces?  I figure no such thing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Here is an example of outriggers.  I used them on my deer blind I built last Christmas.

Adds stability.

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv71/TheRedGoat/garden2013/20131129_085519_zps8c1f8d7d.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv71/TheRedGoat/garden2013/20131129_085609_zpsaf4c1ac4.jpg

And the X bracing.  These 1x4 lathes are dirt cheap.  pressure treated.  Lots of lumbe yards have the 'warped ones' at big discounts. Works perfectly for lightweight, but rigid bracing.

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv71/TheRedGoat/garden2013/20131129_085601_zps661d2411.jpg

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Adds stability.

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv71/TheRedGoat/garden2013/20131129_085519_zps8c1f8d7d.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv71/TheRedGoat/garden2013/20131129_085609_zpsaf4c1ac4.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv71/TheRedGoat/garden2013/20131129_085601_zps661d2411.jpg

TRG

You would have shit if you'd seen my original plans.

I don't think 1x4s would work for my bracing, do you?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Adds stability.

TRG

The X's are 1x4 on mine.

When you mean 'bracing' .. 'splain Lucy.

The 1x4's are excellent under tension and compression forces.  They will make the wall 'rock solid' from those loads.  Plywood (also treated) will do the same bracing for you. 1x4s are cheaper than plywood.

NOTE: the plywood 'walls' in my upper stand area serve as X bracing for that area.  The 1x4s cover the bottom frame to save weight and money.

As for the outriggers that I used, those are 2x6.  They needed to be beefier to keep the boards from warping under torque loads.

I see some particle board in that pic, you are not using particle board on that ramp are you?

I know some places will sell you 'water resistant' particle board, but, you would be better served avoiding it like the plague in a water environment. Yes, 'rain' is a water environment.

Use a piece of treated plywood, and some of those end pieces of 1x4 lathes to make a treadway.

If you'll cover the postage and mail me that treehouse, I'll add the braces, supports and materials needed to make it right.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The X's are 1x4 on mine. <--- this is the bracing I was talking about. I was going to 1x8 on the outside Xs.

The 1x4's are excellent under tension and compression forces.  They will make the wall 'rock solid' from those loads.  Plywood (also treated) will do the same bracing for you. 1x4s are cheaper than plywood.

NOTE: the plywood 'walls' in my upper stand area serve as X bracing for that area.  The 1x4s cover the bottom frame to save weight and money.

As for the outriggers that I used, those are 2x6.  They needed to be beefier to keep the boards from warping under torque loads.

I see some particle board in that pic, you are not using particle board on that ramp are you? The ramp is temporary while we are building. I will be building a ramp with synthetic decking boards across 3 4x4s along with vertical supports under it.

I know some places will sell you 'water resistant' particle board, but, you would be better served avoiding it like the plague in a water environment. Yes, 'rain' is a water environment.

Use a piece of treated plywood, and some of those end pieces of 1x4 lathes to make a treadway.

If you'll cover the postage and mail me that treehouse, I'll add the braces, supports and materials needed to make it right. I WISH.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Adds stability.

TRG

The X's are 1x4 on mine. <--- this is the bracing I was talking about. I was going to 1x8 on the outside Xs.

I see some particle board in that pic, you are not using particle board on that ramp are you? The ramp is temporary while we are building. I will be building a ramp with synthetic decking boards across 3 4x4s along with vertical supports under it.

If you'll cover the postage and mail me that treehouse, I'll add the braces, supports and materials needed to make it right. I WISH.

TRG

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#22]

TRG
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Snipped for brevity.

1x4 is more than enough, if you use treated 1x4 and galvanized screws.  You ARE using hot-dipped galvanized screws and lags, right?

TRG
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Snipped for brevity.

1x4 is more than enough, if you use treated 1x4 and galvanized screws.  You ARE using hot-dipped galvanized screws and lags, right?

TRG
View Quote
I got that part right.

1x4s are much cheaper. I'll take that option.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#25]
       What is the purpose of the yellow plate? I don't see how anything would contact it.

Nevermind, I see it now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#26]
You get a permit for that? Was that approved by zoning?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Think of what your average lattice cell-tower looks like (regarding bracing), then apply that to the treehouse.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You get a permit for that? Was that approved by zoning?
View Quote

I'm not even sure if the county officials know how to find my property.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Think of what your average lattice cell-tower looks like (regarding bracing), then apply that to the treehouse.

https://law.resource.org/pub/eur/ibr/en.1993.3.1.2006/en.1993.3.1.2006_072_01.jpg
View Quote
II or IIA is what I'm going to do.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

you're doing a great thing OP!!  

my little one had many fun days and nights in hers....

now she's grown up with a little one of her own, she still shoots and just bought a 500hp SUV.......

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=72772

View Quote

500hp suv must be nice
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://law.resource.org/pub/eur/ibr/en.1993.3.1.2006/en.1993.3.1.2006_072_01.jpg

Good plan.

You need some structural engineer friends.  Or just post you work to arfcom and everyone here will tear it to shreds.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Good plan.

You need some structural engineer friends.  Or just post you work to arfcom and everyone here will tear it to shreds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good plan.

I've learned .. over many years...that the BEST way to build something is to just do it, post it, and prepare for inevitable onslaught ofinformation that I WISH I had taken the time to learn beforehand, but...

Fire! Fire! Fire! Aim! Fire! ... has been my lifelong motto.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I've learned .. over many years...that the BEST way to build something is to just do it, post it, and prepare for inevitable onslaught ofinformation that I WISH I had taken the time to learn beforehand, but...

TRG

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

haha! I assume I'd get some tough love around here when I posted it. I'm glad I did.

Next time I'm going to just call TRG, so he can warn me ahead of time, and tell me about his previous failures so I can learn from them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Bro, that's not a tree house!

That is an elevated home for 4! Awesome job!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

haha! I assume I'd get some tough love around here when I posted it. I'm glad I did.

Next time I'm going to just call TRG, so he can warn me ahead of time, and tell me about his previous failures so I can learn from them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Normally, right after I get the glowing warmth of accomplishment, and decide to post my success ... the ensuing list of mistakes that I have made ... as pointed out by Arfcom leaves me feeling like this...

TRG
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Looks like it could double as a deluxe deer blind for dad
View Quote

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Normally, right after I get the glowing warmth of accomplishment, and decide to post my success ... the ensuing list of mistakes that I have made ... as pointed out by Arfcom leaves me feeling like this...

http://outofregs.com/postImages/1308016110.jpg

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

TRG
Pretty much how it ends for me too!

I think I came out good there, though, since I can unfuck myself pretty easily and cheaply.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:21:06 PM EDT
[#39]
OP, just a few things, stop trying to BS us claiming that's a treehouse for your little girl.
It looks to me like you wanted the Donald Trump version of a deer stand and just didn't want to admit it in GD
I would advise you not to take your lady into that stand during deer season, you might be enticed into "other things" and miss a really good deer.

I encourage you to follow through with the advice of X bracing and some support blocks under your joists as TRG pointed out since you didn't notch your 4X4's.

And I cant help but roll my eyes at people asking about permits and inspections  Where the hell do you people live that you cant do what you want if you own the property?

Way to score major points OP and be a good dad.  When my son was between 1-2 years old we lived in a house with a large living room.  I got some really big cardboard boxes one time and duct taped them together making a huge fort with tunnels and rooms.  We left that stupid thing in our living room for a year.  My friends would come over and after a couple of beers would be crawling through this maze of boxes playing with my son.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

OP, just a few things, stop trying to BS us claiming that's a treehouse for your little girl.

It looks to me like you wanted the Donald Trump version of a deer stand and just didn't want to admit it in GD

I would advise you not to take your lady into that stand during deer season, you might be enticed into "other things" and miss a really good deer.

I encourage you to follow through with the advice of X bracing and some support blocks under your joists as TRG pointed out since you didn't notch your 4X4's.

And I cant help but roll my eyes at people asking about permits and inspections  Where the hell do you people live that you cant do what you want if you own the property?

Way to score major points OP and be a good dad.  When my son was between 1-2 years old we lived in a house with a large living room.  I got some really big cardboard boxes one time and duct taped them together making a huge fort with tunnels and rooms.  We left that stupid thing in our living room for a year.  My friends would come over and after a couple of beers would be crawling through this maze of boxes playing with my son.
View Quote

I'll admit I did have ulterior motives.

I'll have those blocks and X braces up by the end of this coming weekend.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I think I came out good there, though, since I can unfuck myself pretty easily and cheaply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

TRG

Definitely, sounds like all you have to do is add a few things.  As long as you're not totally tearing it down and starting over, that's a win in my book.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#42]
YES! Brace the legs. IM sent.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

YES! Brace the legs. IM sent.
View Quote
Got it, thanks!

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

TRG

A variation of Cunningham's Law:  The fastest way to find the answer to a question on the internet is to not post the question but to post the wrong answer.

OP, what part of AL?  If you need help, give a shout, have cordless drill, will travel!

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

A variation of Cunningham's Law:  The fastest way to find the answer to a question on the internet is to not post the question but to post the wrong answer.

OP, what part of AL?  If you need help, give a shout, have cordless drill, will travel!

Good luck!

View Quote

Sounds great! I think this weekend will be X supports, painting, siding, etc. Door, windows too.

I was going to get a lot done today, but work/cold got in the way.

I'm in Blount CO, a fair hike off of I-65.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Are you going to insulate it so she can use it in the winter?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
He should sound proof it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you going to insulate it so she can use it in the winter?

He should sound proof it.
She better not be doing anything I need to sound proof.

Yep, going to have insulation in the walls. Haven't decided on the floor and roof yet, but it will have electric heat and a/c.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top