Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The whole point is: nutnfancy fixed the rifle.

Let's not lose sight of that.

It looks like he overgassed it to me, but I'm not an expert.

Based on what?

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Based on what?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on what?

Are you purposefully contrarian?

A fan of Nutns?

Or a hater of LaRue?

You have to be one of the three...

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Based on what?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on what?

It would appear that he unnecessarily drilled the gas port out larger, to work around the fact that he insists on incorrectly installing his gas block, such that he's partially blocking the gas port.

I wouldn't have done that, but again - I'm not an expert.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Based on what?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on what?

The fact the every NF video is over-gassed?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Are you purposefully contrarian?

A fan of Nutns?

Or a hater of LaRue?

View Quote

Larue is too mainstream now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]
That explains everything!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on what?

Are you purposefully contrarian? yes a bit

A fan of Nutns? nope

Or a hater of LaRue? sort of? Ive never cared for his drama antics on the board and ive never seen the need for his products, as ive had cheaper products that gave me supreme results. But I'm not sticking up for nutnfancy or blaming larue....

in fact I am saying the same thing mark lrue is saying... there is no way to tell what was wrong with the upper. Or upper/lower/ammo combo.

And when someone says "it looks like it was overgassed" I will question how they determined that.

I fit in no box.  I question everything. I try to be consistent in my ideology.  I try not to make a statement of blame without supporting evidence, based on conjecture.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't you have a gas block to drill?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If he had used a low mass buffer and low mass carrier he might have been able to get it working with his incorrectly installed gasblock.

It would be like having an adjustable gas block set fairly low.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought the point was that if NF tucked the gas blocks all the way back he'd have the same problem no matter which gas block he used.

If he had used a low mass buffer and low mass carrier he might have been able to get it working with his incorrectly installed gasblock.

It would be like having an adjustable gas block set fairly low.

I have chronoed PMC bronze 55gr at 2650fps in 16 inches (5.56 M193 is speced at 3100fps in 16 inches). At temps below freezing a properly gassed gun will need a light buffer, low mass carrier, and or light spring to function with some lots of PMC bronze. Such setups will affect the feeding reliability in cold weather even if allowing the extraction/ ejection stroke.

A gun gassed and sprung/ buffered to run PMC Bronze in cold weather will be gassed pretty stiff or sprung/buffered pretty light with 5.56 ammo in warm weather. Short answer is to skip low powered PMC bronze in cold weather, especially at high altitude (Nutn is in Utah).

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It would appear that he unnecessarily drilled the gas port out larger, to work around the fact that he insists on incorrectly installing his gas block, such that he's partially blocking the gas port.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on what?

Well, he said he had tried other:
-bolt carrier groups
-stocks
-lowers
-buffers
-gas blocks
-cleaning
-mags

Sooo.....after 6 years of other things, he enlarged the gas port... and it works.

So what is the visual observation that shows it is overgassed you guys all see?  Or is it more likely you just said that cause you all hate nutnfancy?

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on it!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm on it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on it!

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Between the LaRue fans and the Nutnfancy haters, this has been a pretty entertaining thread.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nutnfancy has done more for the gun community than just about any other single person that I can think of on youtube. He's had 20 years in the service. He has created a revenue stream that allows him to offset his costs and enjoy his hobbies. He has many memories documented for later viewing (as a Dad I get this). Painted rifles, when you actually use them as much as him, black rifles do actually get very hot in the sun. The guy is more squared away that 98% of everyone complaining in this thread. I see nothing wrong with his videos, and his life philosophy videos are also squared away. He is trying to get you out of the basement, dust off the cheetos and get out outside. Seriously, the mob mentality is just embarrassing.

As for the Larue rifle, it was sent back to Larue twice according to him. No company is immune to mistakes, even twice. Own up to it and improve your troubleshooting procedures. I personally don't think any other response from Larue is appropriate and will likely cost them money.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nutnfancy has done more for the gun community than just about any other single person that I can think of on youtube. He's had 20 years in the service. He has created a revenue stream that allows him to offset his costs and enjoy his hobbies. He has many memories documented for later viewing (as a Dad I get this). Painted rifles, when you actually use them as much as him, black rifles do actually get very hot in the sun. The guy is more squared away that 98% of everyone complaining in this thread. I see nothing wrong with his videos, and his life philosophy videos are also squared away. He is trying to get you out of the basement, dust off the cheetos and get out outside. Seriously, the mob mentality is just embarrassing.

As for the Larue rifle, it was sent back to Larue twice according to him. No company is immune to mistakes, even twice. Own up to it and improve your troubleshooting procedures. I personally don't think any other response from Larue is appropriate and will likely cost them money.

This.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I don't get why somebody on our side, who posts good info (granted, breezily presented) is a bad guy.

And I don't get why this is contention between him and a manufacturer either.  Product works or does not.  Video shows it working or not working.
View Quote

He's not a bad guy.  But however, he is someone who believes himself far smarter and more capable than he really is, and his faith in that is unshakable.  He's also got several annoying habits, he repeats himself constantly and he never uses 10 words to describe something when 1000 will do.  Also, he's got this weird habit of disassembling everything he gets, painting it, then reassembling it.  And often incorrectly and with parts left over.  But his unshakable belief in is own competency won't let him admit he screwed something up.

Did he screw up the rifle?  My guess is he did, he removed the gas block for it's inevitable duracoat thrashing, and installed a different one incorrectly.  When he got it back from LaRue he admits it ran 100 rounds correctly before malfing again.  If the gas port was too small it wouldn't have run 100 rounds correctly, so why did drilling it larger "fix" it?  I know what I think, I'll let you decide for yourself.

None of that makes him a bad guy, it does make him someone who is not an authority on firearms and shouldn't be pretending to be one.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Would rather make balloon animals with my dick while watching Rachel Maddow than listen to this twat waffle praddle on like a nerd who saw his first side boob.

Eta:  and the side boob was his older sister's
View Quote

Pretty much sums it up.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait; people are bitching about LaRue fanbois?

Even at the best of times, NutNF is a guy on Youtube with a whole lot of opinions formed from his experience being a guy on Youtube and apparently limitless time to talk about them, but if you're going to make a flat out factual claim like XYZ Co. makes the worstest AR EVARRR!!, you need data to back it up.

-Documentation of rifle malfunctioning out of the box?  Hearsay, and afterthought hearsay at that.

-Test ammo?  Cheap shit (PMC is cheap shit), and cheap shit ammo is by definition inconsistent ammo.  Was the stuff chrono'd at the time of the malfunctions?  See my story earlier about idiotically underpowered cheap ammo.

-Rifle modification history?  Swapping parts that very much looks like the modifier didn't understand that different types of barrels have different distances from shoulder to gas port.  Measurement of original gas port diameter?  Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!  Drill that sucker out!  Oh, what size did you drill it out to remedy this?  Didn't write that down either?  Ok.  That kinda shit wouldn't cut it for an intern in a machine shop, let alone someone claiming some form of expertise.

If he'd produced a new-in-box LaRue rifle and documented that it was malfunctioning and ,for bonus points, why, I'd say "Gee, look at that shit!" but this is just he-said she-said.  Even if he was originally correct, he can't prove it now.

I'm not offended because NutNF insulted LaRue; I'm offended because he's insulting my intelligence.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Between the LaRue fans and the Nutnfancy haters, this has been a pretty entertaining thread.
View Quote

That it has...
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

Hmmm, I have 20 years in the service and was a real tool user (SF), not an aviator and I've been an shooter since the 1960s (including service competion and IPSC).  I think I'm in your 2%.  But this douche is a douche.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I didn't have all day to watch the whole video. Did he mention the size of the gas port before and after?
View Quote

no, "just a little bit"...0.001"?  who knows, the piece of rice?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well, he said he had tried other:
-bolt carrier groups
-stocks
-lowers
-buffers
-gas blocks
-cleaning
-mags

Sooo.....after 6 years of other things, he enlarged the gas port... and it works.

So what is the visual observation that shows it is overgassed you guys all see?  Or is it more likely you just said that cause you all hate nutnfancy?

View Quote

The point is if he ever decides to install a gas block properly on the barrel, it would be overgassed.  His "solution" was an over compensation for an error that didn't need to happen in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Fuck it.  Only Colt knows how to make an AR and other than that the AK is the best infantry weapon ever created.
Fuck NFP.  He crams 5 minutes of info into 45 minutes.  Sheesh.

I have watched too many of his videos.

I prefer Hickock45.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Did either of you two actually watch the video?

If you guys ever start a company, I'm going to buy one of your products. Change all the parts, put it together incorrectly... and bitch when you dont fix/replace it. Then I will post a video to a popular channel so people dont buy your shit.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If you guys ever start a company, I'm going to buy one of your products. Change all the parts, put it together incorrectly... and bitch when you dont fix/replace it. Then I will post a video to a popular channel so people dont buy your shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Business owner for 18 years . Larue accepted the rifle / upper and performed some sort of service and said the upper was GTG, Twice...

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Business owner for 18 years . Larue accepted the rifle / upper and performed some sort of service and said the upper was GTG, Twice...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

So you're saying you wouldn't have worked on it at all...
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I'm pretty sure it's been established that Larue fixed the upper twice, but after each time it was re-fucked and that's when the problems started.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Which Nutn then decided that they were wrong, and took it apart and switched rails again. Watch the ENTIRE video.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Which Nutn then decided that they were wrong, and took it apart and switched rails again. Watch the ENTIRE video.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

I did. From start to finish.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And none of it stuck out to you???? Let me go dig up some quotes..
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OST for the fun factor.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was there a part where he actually shot it as it was when he got it from Larue? Or was it always after he fucked with it? I really don't want to give him more views.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

He's not a bad guy.  But however, he is someone who believes himself far smarter and more capable than he really is, and his faith in that is unshakable.  He's also got several annoying habits, he repeats himself constantly and he never uses 10 words to describe something when 1000 will do.  Also, he's got this weird habit of disassembling everything he gets, painting it, then reassembling it.  And often incorrectly and with parts left over.  But his unshakable belief in is own competency won't let him admit he screwed something up.

Did he screw up the rifle?  My guess is he did, he removed the gas block for it's inevitable duracoat thrashing, and installed a different one incorrectly.  When he got it back from LaRue he admits it ran 100 rounds correctly before malfing again.  If the gas port was too small it wouldn't have run 100 rounds correctly, so why did drilling it larger "fix" it?  I know what I think, I'll let you decide for yourself.

None of that makes him a bad guy, it does make him someone who is not an authority on firearms and shouldn't be pretending to be one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I find it funny, that some people are posting stupid shit like...."why would someone trade out the OEM gas block...." this website is filled with people doing shit like that to guns in the pursuit of...some perceived improvement which probably only exists in the heads of most of the people swapping the parts. There are people trading out perfectly good trigger guards for another trigger guard, because it looks cooler, people are jacking around with triggers and springs WHEN MOST OF THE OEM GUNS ARE MORE ACCURATE THAN MOST OF THE PEOPLE SWAPPING PARTS.

Either the gun was working or it was not in the OEM form, or it was not. If it was the suxxor in the OEM form then it was the manufacturer dick up.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Posted in the wrong thread... oops

Quoted:
OK... WTF.

19:05-19:31

He's talking about velocity. He takes HIS velocity numbers for his 20" with ATI 77gr Nosler ammo... then randomly grabs some other guy's 18" velocity numbers for 77gr Noslers (who knows what ammo).... The difference is 200fps... and so he claims that he's losing 200fps from going from a 20 to an 18". Which is why he went with a 20" barrel for his long range gun.

Yeah this guy clearly knows what he is talking about! WTF This guy is a fucking idiot.
View Quote

Quoted:
I know this will get burried in the GD thread so:

@29:26.... He says that the website doesn't talk about the LW-50 Barrels any more, and goes to say that maybe they removed it so they can skimp and buy something cheaper to save money...

@ 30:35 He talked about the LaRue gas block. He then specifically says "LaRue should say, ' Hey guys if you buy a stealth upper, dont change out the gas block, ever for any reason, your gun will be unreliable' "

That quote above sounds like it was reliable until he took it apart..... This guy is clearly a douche and is blaming his fuckups on LaRue.
View Quote

Those quotes alone should prove the guy doesn't know what he is talking about, and should also show he admitted that it worked fine before he initially dicked with the gas block.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Was there a part where he actually shot it as it was when he got it from Larue? Or was it always after he fucked with it? I really don't want to give him more views.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope... and this is the guy who doesn't take a shit without starting up his camera and saying "hey doods" first.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:23:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not watching his video.

If all of that is true, ntnfancy should be ashamed for his idiotic, unfair click bait video.  He must be really desperate for viewers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Well, I'm not in the gun industry. But I would think that if the gun wasn't returned for service in it's original configuration, I would be opening myself up to some headaches. I don't work on guns for a living. I would think that I would only warranty rifles in the original configuration. I would think that if a rifle in it's original configuration had issues, my company would send a RMA cover shipping and fix and guarantee the rifle. If the rifle was seen a second time in it's original configuration, and still had issues, I would send them a new upper or rifle, 100rds of ammo and a personal note of apology. I can tell you what I would not do, I would not bash the customer on the internet. Just because we strive for excellence doesn't mean we are perfect.

Now, this is all in theory as I don't work in the gun industry. But I do guarantee my work and charge a premium for my services.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Ice cream truck does not count..

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
No one deserves to have Mark's Lunaticerati descend on them more than nutnfancy.
View Quote

Hey now!

I prefer LaRuemiNaughty thank you!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Nope... and this is the guy who doesn't take a shit without starting up his camera and saying "hey doods" first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really weird that my 12" Stealth upper has worked flawlessly. Maybe that's because I didn't fuck with it other than putting a muzzle brake on it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Those quotes alone should prove the guy doesn't know what he is talking about, and should also show he admitted that it worked fine before he initially dicked with the gas block.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
OK... WTF.

19:05-19:31

He's talking about velocity. He takes HIS velocity numbers for his 20" with ATI 77gr Nosler ammo... then randomly grabs some other guy's 18" velocity numbers for 77gr Noslers (who knows what ammo).... The difference is 200fps... and so he claims that he's losing 200fps from going from a 20 to an 18". Which is why he went with a 20" barrel for his long range gun.

Yeah this guy clearly knows what he is talking about! WTF This guy is a fucking idiot.

Quoted:
I know this will get burried in the GD thread so:

@29:26.... He says that the website doesn't talk about the LW-50 Barrels any more, and goes to say that maybe they removed it so they can skimp and buy something cheaper to save money...

@ 30:35 He talked about the LaRue gas block. He then specifically says "LaRue should say, ' Hey guys if you buy a stealth upper, dont change out the gas block, ever for any reason, your gun will be unreliable' "

That quote above sounds like it was reliable until he took it apart..... This guy is clearly a douche and is blaming his fuckups on LaRue.

its a litmus test when a customer comes in to the shop and starts quoting that he saw NF doing and want to do it too. Or tells me im doing it wrong because NF does it this way and I need to get on YT to watch how HE does it.. I have a special up charge already keyed into the system for the quote. Because 9 out of 10 times they are a customer from hell.

ETA: ive been a Gunsmith for over 23 years..
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What did he lube it with?

How do we know it wasn't the bushmaster lower with a tolerance stacking issue in the fcg causing drag on the bolt bottom when cycling?
View Quote

lol.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That it has...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That it has...

Indeed
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd like him if he lost the douchy holier than thou vibe.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'd like him if he lost the douchy holier than thou vibe.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#50]

Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top