Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:30:05 AM EDT
[#1]
On my truck there is a panel on the dash that is held in by clips and is easily removed.
I fashioned a tray-box from thin copper sheet and installed the box in the cavity behind the panel.
A small to medium frame pistol fits very nice. Then I replace the panel without snapping the locks back into place.
Great for travel.
It will accommodate an extra mag as well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:45:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not the smartest guy right here.......you want a tweaker thief POS running around with a loaded pistol he found laying under your seat when he was tweaking though your car.

Pull your head out....it's not all about you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh, no conundrum:  long ago I quit worrying about having weapons stolen from vehicles...it's just not that big of a deal and easily replaced...as long as you aren't carrying a First Model Schofield or something like that.

Not the smartest guy right here.......you want a tweaker thief POS running around with a loaded pistol he found laying under your seat when he was tweaking though your car.

Pull your head out....it's not all about you.

I wouldn't care...and why would you?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:50:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
While I won't say you're wrong, this attitude contributes to guns getting into the hands of criminals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh, no conundrum:  long ago I quit worrying about having weapons stolen from vehicles...it's just not that big of a deal and easily replaced...as long as you aren't carrying a First Model Schofield or something like that.
While I won't say you're wrong, this attitude contributes to guns getting into the hands of criminals.

No it doesn't:

Reading is fundamental for both you an what-his-name:

1.  OP clarified that he is worried about his own security guards finding his firearm.

2.  I didn't say I don't hide my weapon(s), what I said was I don't care if a $400 or $500 firearm gets stolen.  Exactly how does that contribute to firearms getting in the hands of bad guys?  I care about it ending up in bad guy hands but there's nothing you are going to do to (i.e. hide it well enough) to prevent that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Look up car hides. You can probably find videos about them or even LEO training material via google on smugglers using them to get some ideas. Basically all cars have spots that would make a great hiding space and with some ingenuity are accessible. In the monthly newsletters I got during my short time as a LEO they often listed popular ones in common vehicles. For example many times the center console storage tray can be popped out and has a large void underneath. Hell I've read about ones where they rigged secret hydraulic opening compartments that only opened if you hit a certain combo of controls simultaneously random made up example down window button and hazard signal. Course that would probably be pretty labor intensive but James Bond level awesome.

Alternatively can you park offsite? Fed govs bitchy about weapons on site but I've worked at FBI, and USCG sites where they just told those who carried to park outside the fence. It's still on the survelliance cameras so no one would screw with it either. Of course the feasibility of that entirely depends on the local traffic/parking climate and the nature of the facilities layout.

I apologize for any glaring typos as I wrote this via phone.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#5]
this got me thinking, I have to have mine" double locked" (DOOR LOCKS COUNT AS ONE) per the main employer, I have a contract employee badge.
I am going to look at the hole in the back of my g21 grip and see about just putting a 6-7 foot cable through it or a small TSA pad lock and then locking the end of the cable to the frame of the car seat.

it is" locked" but accessible

I can always carry another in the locked glove compartment to have one to go.

I am going to look at the actual memo tomorrow to see the language.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#6]
stick it between the seats, or under the dash, there is usually a spot
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:53:16 AM EDT
[#7]
holster on back of glove box

Open glovebox, squeeze in stops to lower glovebox, grab gun.

Free
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, what state are your in?  A few states like Florida and Texas have laws that allow you to have a gun in your vehicle on company property.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP, what state are your in?  A few states like Florida and Texas have laws that allow you to have a gun in your vehicle on company property.  
View Quote

If he's working at a fed gov site those laws don't matter.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good ideas.

Its not theft im worried about. Its nosy security guards where I work. We have a no gun policy. Sometimes they search vehicles.

I have a 25 mile commute that takes me thru crime areas. That doesnt mesh well with that policy.

So im looking for a solution. Currently have an eg makarov stashed. But want something bigger - like an old glock pd trade in beater
View Quote

Leave the guns at home or find a new job. If you didn't like the conditions of employment you should not have accepted the job.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Personally I think leaving a gun in a car is just dumb. Leaving a gun anywhere unsecured is just bad. Why does your car need to be armed if your not in it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aren't there also some states with "hidden compartment" laws that originated with drug-enforcement but could be applied?   There was a thread on it year or two back...Ohio or Michigan or somesuch.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#13]
On my old 2000 Silverado, the rubber cup holder part would easily pop out (presumably for washing).  It made a great stash place.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Nosy Security Guard is going to look under your seat if they are searching for items.  You could use a lock box however dependent on your employment agreement it could also be searched.  Not a lot of good options for your situation.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Look for a panel that pops on and off with no tools.

There is more than enough space behind many of them.

It is not a quick access solution, but nobody is ever stumbling upon it.

Also, check your glovebox.  Many open to a set of stops, but by squeezing them, the glove box opens much further for removal.  There is often plenty of space in there for you.
View Quote

This + magnets is your answer.  Lots of room behind your glove box.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:  Personally I think leaving a gun in a car is just dumb. Leaving a gun anywhere unsecured is just bad. Why does your car need to be armed if your not in it?
View Quote

Unless it's a jeep w/o a top, the firearm is secured by locks.  Legally, you can't carry everywhere, so you'd prefer OP be disarmed on his ride to & from work?  
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Concealment and utility (access) oppose each other.   Deep concealment is one thing.   But even having a weapon in a locked box under the seat is going to be difficult to get to in a hurry if you need it... and it is easy to identify by thieves.   Apart from responsibility to try to prevent weapons from falling into the wrong hands, is the value of the weapon more than the cost to repair your vehicle interior when thieves get frustrated and go apeshit on the seats/dash/glass?    

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Edit: Read your second post.

Fuck having some rent a cop search my car.

Find another job that doesn't violate your rights.
View Quote

You have no right to enter another person's property.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Edit: Read your second post.

Fuck having some rent a cop search my car.

Find another job that doesn't violate your rights.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#23]
This was in response to the guys who brought up state laws that prohibit employers from preventing guns in cars. I apparently forgot to hit the quote button.

Then can in a secured federal/military/defense location. State law doesn't trump that. Unfortunately.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Guys,

"Hiding" is not the answer.  Most of these "no guns" companies are utilizing dogs now.  Several companies offer the search dog services.  These dogs can sniff out a single round of .22 short from outside a locked vehicle. (Not to mention a bottle of pills or a roach in the ashtray.)   The dog hits on a vehicle, you are brought out and asked to unlock your vehicle for search,  or you are fired on the spot for refusal.  

Glad Texas finally passed laws to protect us from that crap here.
View Quote
Scatter spent pistol rounds in every compartment and pocket you can find.

Giggle when the dog goes insane and can't focus on a damn thing when your car is opened up.

Bonus points for planting a few in your wheel wells, tail pipe, under the hood...

ETA:  And someone else had an even better idea.  A round stashed in EVERY car's wheel well on the lot.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So, im not going to divulge too much, but where I work we get random searches all the time.  Car searches.... not pat downs.  Although there is no CCW allowed on miltary instalations....

eta ^^^ prev poster gets the point....
View Quote

I've never seen a pat down nor has anyone I know ever seen a pat down entering certain facilities. The flip side is that if you do get caught with an item on your person there is no "oops, sorry, forgot I left it in there" wiggle room.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I sorta like the flat rate box idea.    Maybe add some letters too.   Put it inside something, like a Bible.   Use a small, light gun, so it seems normal.  

Maybe you could hide it inside an old VCR, or Computer.  Stuff you are planning to drop off at GoodWill.     Rig it so it can only be opened by you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sounds like the best thing in that case is to put a pinch of gunpowder in every car that goes there, especially company vehicles.  Dogs will be useless once they continually alert on every vehicle that comes through.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys,
"Hiding" is not the answer.  Most of these "no guns" companies are utilizing dogs now.  Several companies offer the search dog services.  These dogs can sniff out a single round of .22 short from outside a locked vehicle. (Not to mention a bottle of pills or a roach in the ashtray.)   The dog hits on a vehicle, you are brought out and asked to unlock your vehicle for search,  or you are fired on the spot for refusal.  
Glad Texas finally passed laws to protect us from that crap here.

Sounds like the best thing in that case is to put a pinch of gunpowder in every car that goes there, especially company vehicles.  Dogs will be useless once they continually alert on every vehicle that comes through.

The dogs I've had search my vehicle usually suck.... in high school, I ALWAYS had ammo in my vehicle And only got hit about a four or five times out of probably 25 searches they did (10 per year but only 5 senior year I think). They don't hit on centerfire ammo in my experience.  Shotgun shells and rimfire, oh yeah but not centerfire.

I'd just do like the other guy said, pack it in the box, tape it up, then douse it in cologne
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And to be extra neener-neener to TheMan if he should mess with you, have it addressed to a real FFL.  I've used that trick before...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Put it in a flat rate shipping box.  All sealed and addressed like you are going to drop it off after work.
Tear it open to access gun quickly.

And to be extra neener-neener to TheMan if he should mess with you, have it addressed to a real FFL.  I've used that trick before...

wouldn't it have to be unloaded for this to work? if it is unloaded, how does that help ?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Good ideas.

Its not theft im worried about. Its nosy security guards where I work. We have a no gun policy. Sometimes they search vehicles.

I have a 25 mile commute that takes me thru crime areas. That doesnt mesh well with that policy.

So im looking for a solution. Currently have an eg makarov stashed. But want something bigger - like an old glock pd trade in beater
View Quote

But do they search people?

Metal detectors?
Mind reading devices?

If not you could always just carry concealed.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

wouldn't it have to be unloaded for this to work? if it is unloaded, how does that help ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Put it in a flat rate shipping box.  All sealed and addressed like you are going to drop it off after work.

Why would it have to be unloaded?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know. I am not sure of whether or not they could make you open the package. if they did, how could you explain shipping a loaded firearm ?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Unless it's a jeep w/o a top, the firearm is secured by locks.  Legally, you can't carry everywhere, so you'd prefer OP be disarmed on his ride to & from work?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Personally I think leaving a gun in a car is just dumb. Leaving a gun anywhere unsecured is just bad. Why does your car need to be armed if your not in it?

I didn't even leave a can of coke In my cup holder when I had my wrangler.  Anyways... yes I choose to not carry on my ride to and from work because I think it's just a bad practice to leave a gun in a car. If anyone insisted on it I really hope they would spend a Lil on a quality lock box with securing cable for the car. Even as cleaver as you think your hiding place is behind the jack, under the cup/coin bucket, even behind the radio as I've seen once. Crooks check all these in a simple and fast toss of your car. Then it's just another stolen firearm on the streets to add to those statistics the Dems love so much. We in the gun community need to stop supporting each others bad practice cause we just give the other side all the ammo they need to take away ours.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I would think a locked center console would prevent 95% of vehicle burglaries...
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I like the holster zip tied to the bottom of the drivers seat. Its hidden and if u were to look under the seat from a normal angle u can't see it. Quick access if needed as there isn't a lock to manipulate. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would think a locked center console would prevent 95% of vehicle burglaries...
View Quote

You've never given one a hard tug have you? Trust me they are far less secure then you think. If your ever at a junkyard and have the chance to lock one and pull it like you don't give a crud if it broke cause it wasn't your car (much like a thief would not care about your car) you will find very few hold up to more then a few hard pulls.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#36]
A shitty looking yardsale 8 track player. Gut it and put a hinge on one side with a latch. Mount it good to a strong part of the under dash.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Good ideas.

View Quote

wait wait wait

your employer searches your vehicle at will?      
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Can you explain the connection to USAA?  I have USAA but apparently am unaware of what you are referring to.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That law got USAA off our ass.  That was the only thing that sucked about working there.

Can you explain the connection to USAA?  I have USAA but apparently am unaware of what you are referring to.  

Yes.  I used to work at the USAA home office in San Antonio, and at the time employees were forbidden to carry a weapon on USAA secured property (USAA's campus is completely enclosed by a 8' or 10' fence that keeps the general public out).  Until the car carry law passed (which USAA opposed) in 2011 it was a fireable offense to have a firearm in your car in the parking lot (and obviously forbidden on your person).  USAA has their own armed security force and checkpoints at all entrances that check IDs (similar to military bases).  They also would occasionally had dogs patrol the parking lot looking for drugs (and presumably weapons) in vehicles owned by employees.  After the car carry law passed in 2011 employees are now able to carry a gun in their car without worry of getting fired.

For some reason USAA is opposed to employees having guns in their vehicles.  I know that the car carry law is a bit different in Arizona and when I went out there for work a few years ago (2012) I was required to check my pistol with a security guard in a building that was completely separated from the main office.  Basically, I had to tell the guard at the checkpoint I had a pistol, then he instructed me to drive to this storage building where another guard met me and escorted me in.  Inside that building I showed my work ID and checked my pistol.  Upon leaving that day I had to go to the storage building, use the intercom to get a guard to show up, wait 15 minutes for him to get there, show my ID again, and then collect my pistol and be on my way.  It was a real pain in the ass.  

I love USAA and use them for all financial and insurance purposes, but I have their anti-employee-gun in the car on campus policy.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Personally I think leaving a gun in a car is just dumb. Leaving a gun anywhere unsecured is just bad. Why does your car need to be armed if your not in it?
View Quote

bothersome issue for me at the gym...   still haven't come to a happy solution
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have a stout lockbox, just big enough. It has a stout handle. through the handle goes a stout chain. It is secured under the seat through the frame, by a stout lock, so that it can barely be reached. Can't get a bolt cutter in there. only way to get it is to open the lock, with the key. Whole outfit cost me about twenty bucks.

Stoutness, for the win. It's quick, too. Gun goes in, box locked, shoved under seat, lock through chain.

Two ways it comes back out: 1. Key 2. Cutting torch

They WILL find it. If it ain't locked, they will take it.
View Quote

Pics my friend ???
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A shitty looking yardsale 8 track player. Gut it and put a hinge on one side with a latch. Mount it good to a strong part of the under dash.
View Quote

The 80's tape players had a removable faceplate.     I also had some where you pulled the entire chassis out to take with you.

The FSA must have loved stealing tape players bitd.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:01:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

wait wait wait

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good ideas.

wait wait wait

If his location is anything like mine, then yes. Government facitlity. They do random vehicle searches at the main gate coming in and out and they do 100% checks when you exit the "Limited" area. They aren't looking for shit you bring in, only what you may take out. They make rockets and explosives where I work.

For the people talking about switching employers, yeah, I'll get right on that. I have a good job that pays well. I don't know if I could find another that paid what I make and that I enjoy as much as I do. If that means I have to go to and from work without a gun, well, so be it. But that is why a few of us are looking for alternatives in concealment.

And the few that lack the ability to read, this isn't about leaving a vehicle in a car stored. This isn't about protecting my shit from robery or theft. It's about concealment.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:49:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I didn't even leave a can of coke In my cup holder when I had my wrangler.  Anyways... yes I choose to not carry on my ride to and from work because I think it's just a bad practice to leave a gun in a car. If anyone insisted on it I really hope they would spend a Lil on a quality lock box with securing cable for the car. Even as cleaver as you think your hiding place is behind the jack, under the cup/coin bucket, even behind the radio as I've seen once. Crooks check all these in a simple and fast toss of your car. Then it's just another stolen firearm on the streets to add to those statistics the Dems love so much. We in the gun community need to stop supporting each others bad practice cause we just give the other side all the ammo they need to take away ours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feel free to purchase 6 vehicle lockboxes - 4 long gun, 2 pistol - and send them to me if you're so concerned.  I live in an RV - the guns stay where they are.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:39:23 AM EDT
[#44]
I worked in a federal facility for almost 24 years. To those that do not seem to be able to grasp, I chose to  forgo my rights in order to bring home a good paycheck and take care of my family. It sucked, and I did not like it. What is worse is that I wore a uniform, which would clearly indicate to the interested that I was unarmed.
The payoff is that I was able to retire at 57. I still do not agree with the policy and I no longer have to deal with it. On a cost/benefit basis, I have done well, but every story doesn't have a happy ending.

http://www.lawofficer.com/article/news/odmp-federal-corrections-lieut
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:05:29 AM EDT
[#45]
If I open the glove box in my truck there are hidden tabs you can pop to make it fold down out of the way to access all the computer crap hidden behind it.
I bet nobody would look in there.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:16:00 AM EDT
[#46]
I think OP said he had a wagon. If so, there is fairly convenient access to the rear. Build a small subwoofer box with a cheap sub, you don't even have to wire it completely wire it up, but I would run cables under the carpet to complete the effect (or if you want it to work get a better than cheap sub). I would make it where one panel could come off easily, think like a magnetic latch on in a kitchen cabinet. I would screw or glue some velcro straps or holster inside so your pistol won't slide around. You could do it for an 8" sub and it wouldn't take up too much room. If you make it nonworking you can always say the speaker or amp is blown.

If you like the idea, here's a link for cheap parts.

ETA for link.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:38:10 AM EDT
[#47]

It's not about what's legal. It's about what's moral. It's times like this where you have to just take a step back and ask "WWJCD?"

Of course, that stands for "What Would Jeremy Clarkson Do?"

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry, but that's retarded to say and irresponsible gun ownership. It isn't about how easily it is to replace it, it's about keeping out of the hands of a thief and off the street.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#49]
There are lock boxes that can be tether to the seat frame. Locked in care, locked in the box with a short cable that will barely come out from the seat. It'll protect against a smash and grab, hidden from plain sight, and doesn't look like a "gun" safe either.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Sorry, but that's retarded to say and irresponsible gun ownership. It isn't about how easily it is to replace it, it's about keeping out of the hands of a thief and off the street.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG Sarah Brady. It's a pistol not a nuke. You can go buy one any where, any day.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top