Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh Jesus, grow up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you think you are straight and you are still watching this show...

You are lying to yourself.

Oh Jesus, grow up.

Trolls and shit. Moving on.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

look man--i watch 5 shows.

archer, game of thrones, black sails, the walking dead, and vikings.

at least leave me one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just wait til  Ragnar Lothbrok gets it on with a couple male British Isle   peasants over on the History Channel.

at least leave me one.

How is that one working out for you? seems the writers might have an agenda.........really how long til Lothbrook comes out?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How is that one working out for you? seems the writers might have an agenda.........really how long til Lothbrook comes out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just wait til  Ragnar Lothbrok gets it on with a couple male British Isle   peasants over on the History Channel.

at least leave me one.

Heard a rumor it's gonna be Daryl. Seriously.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

at least leave me one.

honestly, it doesn't bother me at all.  TWD has handled it perfectly--one of the characters just happens to be gay.  it astonishes me that everyone freaked out so badly over what amounts to maybe 3 min of screen time.  it isn't gratuitous at all--it's very much like life.  in archer, ray's gayness is a much bigger deal, but it's also part of a great character.  same thing in modern family, which is one of the best shows on TV.  those characters are gay, which brings something new and interesting to the shows.

i can understand why someone might refuse to watch a show like spartacus or GoT for aesthetic or moral reasons.  i have no problem with homosexuality from a moral perspective, but i don't enjoy watching gay physical intimacy on screen.  it isn't a deal-breaker for me though, as long as the characters and story are good.  and thus far, TWD and BS are excellent.  BS is particularly interesting, since the 'big reveal' has no bearing on the current story.  i think the shock value was played really well.  yeah his old love interest was a man, but it really doesn't matter--what matters is what is happening now.

in 'vikings' though, it just wouldn't fit.  i mean, ragnar already invited athelstan into bed to help spit-roast lagertha in season 1, but that's a bit different than trying to shoehorn in a subplot about how floki is conflicted between bloodthirsty pillage and home decor.

some people are gay--that's life.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

honestly, it doesn't bother me at all.  TWD has handled it perfectly--one of the characters just happens to be gay.  it astonishes me that everyone freaked out so badly over what amounts to maybe 3 min of screen time.  it isn't gratuitous at all--it's very much like life.  in archer, ray's gayness is a much bigger deal, but it's also part of a great character.  same thing in modern family, which is one of the best shows on TV.  those characters are gay, which brings something new and interesting to the shows.

i can understand why someone might refuse to watch a show like spartacus or GoT for aesthetic or moral reasons.  i have no problem with homosexuality from a moral perspective, but i don't enjoy watching gay physical intimacy on screen.  it isn't a deal-breaker for me though, as long as the characters and story are good.  and thus far, TWD and BS are excellent.  BS is particularly interesting, since the 'big reveal' has no bearing on the current story.  i think the shock value was played really well.  yeah his old love interest was a man, but it really doesn't matter--what matters is what is happening now.

in 'vikings' though, it just wouldn't fit.  i mean, ragnar already invited athelstan into bed to help spit-roast lagertha in season 1, but that's a bit different than trying to shoehorn in a subplot about how floki is conflicted between bloodthirsty pillage and home decor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

at least leave me one.

I only mentioned it because you seemed to be concerned.........on the subject of Floki, I suspect his interior decoration would tend towards the sadomasochistic......
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I only mentioned it because you seemed to be concerned.........on the subject of Floki, I suspect his interior decoration would tend towards the sadomasochistic......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah--i don't know why the big reveal in BS bothered me.  the morality of homosexuality is a nonissue for me, but it did feel like a big agenda-driven smack in the face (unlike archer or modern family).  i sat there thinking "please not another social consciousness message".

but subsequent episodes have played out well IMO.  instead of being preachy, it's just a part of the plot.  i have no problem with that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 12:24:35 AM EDT
[#7]
So good!

eta- the gay relationship storyline is vindicated and forgiven n my book b/c it matters to the story. That whole bit with Ash working it out in his mind upon seeing Flint made the whole thing cilck into place. Well done.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:47:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

So good!

eta- the gay relationship storyline is vindicated and forgiven n my book b/c it matters to the story. That whole bit with Ash working it out in his mind upon seeing Flint made the whole thing cilck into place. Well done.
View Quote

Agreed. And holy wow is Vane not a serious force to be reckoned with...
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:37:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm confused. Is Vane lurking in the swamp at Charlestown about to take Flint's ship? How did he get there? It seems like a really complicated plan.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:48:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm confused. Is Vane lurking in the swamp at Charlestown about to take Flint's ship? How did he get there? It seems like a really complicated plan.
View Quote

yes--vane got there first.  it's an open question as to how he sailed there (since his ship is still in nassau), but guthrie had told him what flint's plan was.  all he had to do was go to charleston and wait.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Just seems like swimming that distance while clothed and armed would leave even a good swimmer pretty damned tired.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#12]
It'll be interesting to learn how they got there ahead of Flint's crew without everyone knowing. I can't imagine them leaving that question unanswered.

Did Old Man Guthrie have a ship and crew? Maybe they hijacked his?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#13]
This is way cool....What is the hand-cranked instrument?

Wish I cold embed.

Black Sails Main Title Theme.....

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Black+sails+theme&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=C92252554C70CE2AB647C92252554C70CE2AB647
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Wish I cold embed.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Black+sails+theme&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=C92252554C70CE2AB647C92252554C70CE2AB647
View Quote

Very cool. No idea what that thing is. BUT, for some reason, I feel the drums and electric guitar kinda ruin it. They should've used an acoustic mandolin or guitar and some bongos or something. I love how it begins though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Very cool. No idea what that thing is. BUT, for some reason, I feel the drums and electric guitar kinda ruin it. They should've used an acoustic mandolin or guitar and some bongos or something. I love how it begins though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wish I cold embed.

It's called a "Hurdy Gurdy".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurdy-gurdy

My Google-fu must have been broke. I could not find it the first time I looked.

LOL...They should have had them dressed-out as pirates when they filmed it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

yeah--i don't know why the big reveal in BS bothered me.  the morality of homosexuality is a nonissue for me, but it did feel like a big agenda-driven smack in the face (unlike archer or modern family).  i sat there thinking "please not another social consciousness message".

but subsequent episodes have played out well IMO.  instead of being preachy, it's just a part of the plot.  i have no problem with that.
View Quote
Well, it bothered me because I thought Flint's motivations were more complex than "I did it for my gay lover."  

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I kinda wasn't paying complete attention this past episode, who was the dude Vane had strung up in the fort?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I kinda wasn't paying complete attention this past episode, who was the dude Vane had strung up in the fort?
View Quote
Guthrie's dad.

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wish I cold embed.

Woulda been awesome.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well, it bothered me because I thought Flint's motivations were more complex than "I did it for my gay lover."    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

meh--if he had done it for the eternal love of the princess or for revenge or for greed, no one would have batted an eyelash.

people do things for very simple motivations.  usually, the simpler the motivation, the more powerful it is.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

meh--if he had done it for the eternal love of the princess or for revenge or for greed, no one would have batted an eyelash.

people do things for very simple motivations.  usually, the simpler the motivation, the more powerful it is.
View Quote
Criminals with a conscience tend to be a bit more complex and interesting characters than average IMHO.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Criminals with a conscience tend to be a bit more complex and interesting characters than average IMHO.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

for just a second, let's force ourselves to look past the whole gayness thing (if that's possible) and consider the situation.

as a young naval officer, flint was initially skeptical of the plan to assimilate nassau and make it a productive part of the empire.  after all, the crown kills pirates, the crown can't afford to look weak by backing off that stance, and anyway, the pirates will never submit to the imperious power of the crown (which he represents as an officer).  over time, he was convinced that the plan could succeed--it would be good for the crown economically, and good for nassau by giving it some control over its own destiny.

then what happens?  all of a sudden, the imperious, arbitrary power of the crown is turned against him and the people he loves.  the person he loves the most is killed for trying to help the crown by bringing nassau into the fold (though in an unconventional way).  so in anger, he becomes a pirate.

and where are we now?  he is in exactly the reverse position as the one where he started.  he's now a pirate as opposed to a naval officer, and though he still hates the crown (or at least the admiralty), he recognizes that assimilation is the only way that nassau can have any control over its own destiny.  so he's still working on the same project, just coming from the opposite direction.  this is complicated by (rather than facilitated by) his beef with the admiralty, but he's willing to sacrifice his own interests (his own life, even) in order to make it happen.

for him to succeed, he either has to die or to submit to those he hates the most.  as he has clearly stated, the latter is worse that the former.  it mirrors the very first thing we saw in episode 1: the pirates have declared war on humanity, and they would have to recant that and submit to the crown...which is exactly the opposite of their inclinations.

it's a really fucking interesting conflict.  too bad people can't see past the icky gay stuff.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

for just a second, let's force ourselves to look past the whole gayness thing (if that's possible) and consider the situation.

as a young naval officer, flint was initially skeptical of the plan to assimilate nassau and make it a productive part of the empire.  after all, the crown kills pirates, the crown can't afford to look weak by backing off that stance, and anyway, the pirates will never submit to the imperious power of the crown (which he represents as an officer).  over time, he was convinced that the plan could succeed--it would be good for the crown economically, and good for nassau by giving it some control over its own destiny.

then what happens?  all of a sudden, the imperious, arbitrary power of the crown is turned against him and the people he loves.  the person he loves the most is killed for trying to help the crown by bringing nassau into the fold (though in an unconventional way).  so in anger, he becomes a pirate.

and where are we now?  he is in exactly the reverse position as the one where he started.  he's now a pirate as opposed to a naval officer, and though he still hates the crown (or at least the admiralty), he recognizes that assimilation is the only way that nassau can have any control over its own destiny.  so he's still working on the same project, just coming from the opposite direction.  this is complicated by (rather than facilitated by) his beef with the admiralty, but he's willing to sacrifice his own interests (his own life, even) in order to make it happen.

for him to succeed, he either has to die or to submit to those he hates the most.  as he has clearly stated, the latter is worse that the former.  it mirrors the very first thing we saw in episode 1: the pirates have declared war on humanity, and they would have to recant that and submit to the crown...which is exactly the opposite of their inclinations.

it's a really fucking interesting conflict.  too bad people can't see past the icky gay stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, I'm still waiting for Jim Hawkins. Dr. Livesey, Squire Trelawney, and Captain Smollet to make their appearance.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not saying that the "Gay Braveheart" thing isn't logical and consistent, it was just disappointing to me.  In one episode we had Flint thinking with his pecker and Guthrie having daddy issues, which are two overused Hollywood motifs IMHO.  I have no issue with homosexuality from a morality perspective, and certainly someone from the tradition of "Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash" being homosexual is more than plausible.  Maybe if they did it more in depth and not as a shocking reveal it would have sat better with me.  With Loras in GoT the scene was pretty important to the plot and I defended it on these forums.    

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. When they ruined him it reminds me of John McClane throwing every stick of C-4 down the elevator shaft in Die Hard. "Fuck it." Pirate time.

The way they keep peeling back the layers to Flint/McGraw's has been the most interesting part of the entire show. For a moment it really felt like it they were really going to ruin it.

This past episode was about everything finally coming into focus. The irony and tragedy of his situation alone going into this past episode has been intriguing stuff. But when they revealed he murdered the guy who ruined his life it felt like all of the puzzle pieces were finally on the table. It was interesting seeing Ash act out that "oh shit" realization that he wasn't seeing the whole picture, that we as an audience experienced just moments earlier. That Flint's worst sin - the cold-blooded murder of a Lord - is perhaps something Hamilton even deserved at the hands of James McGraw.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Guthrie's dad.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guthrie's dad.  

Her dad's servant.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Her dad's servant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guthrie's dad.  

Her dad's servant.

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Now I'm really confused, who was the dude strung up in the fort?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Eleanor Guthries dad. Final answer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

Excellent breakdown. The homosexual storyline is fitting for a British Naval officer during that time period - this, we've established. It doesn't bother me and we've clearly moved on, or the show has at least.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It doesn't bother me and we've clearly moved on, or the show has at least.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't bother me and we've clearly moved on, or the show has at least.

bingo.  those 5 minutes of screen time came and went.  it took me by surprise, but has no real bearing on the badass story surrounding it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. Sorry for confusion
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just seems like swimming that distance while clothed and armed would leave even a good swimmer pretty damned tired.
View Quote

They're tough, 17th century, when men were men and women walked bow legged.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Holy Shit, great episode!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I like Vain more and more each episode.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

This!

Flint's balance has been removed, he's going to embrace it 100% I bet.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#38]
RIP miranda and her bewbies.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:44:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Shit just got real, yo!
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:56:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Poor Randall.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:01:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!

Yep.What else to live for now? Pure black hearted hatred and revenge.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:15:39 AM EDT
[#42]
I haven't watched an episode since the man love one.  So has every episode had flashbacks to homoerotic man love?

Since this is a movie channel show I am weary there may be some surprise "sword fighting" .
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:27:51 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I haven't watched an episode since the man love one.  So has every episode had flashbacks to homoerotic man love?

Since this is a movie channel show I am weary there may be some surprise "sword fighting" .
View Quote
Good call.  This weeks episode had Vane bent over by Guthrie with a wooden strap-on while he simultaneously sucked Flint's cock.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:32:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Good call.  This weeks episode had Vane bent over by Guthrie with a wooden strap-on while he simultaneously sucked Flint's cock.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the best part of the episode imho
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:43:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can watch a show just fine with gay characters but I don't want to see graphic sex scenes.

I just want to know if is is going in that direction.   Ist obvious you are joking.  Is it really that offense I want to know if there's a bunch of man love?

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truthfully all it was lacking was a fluffer cameo by Billy Bones.........and John Silvers.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#47]
That Miranda scene was really weird. She's usually the calm one.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#48]
It really surprised me when she died. She's never quite acted like that.

However after it happened my girlfriend and I understood it, as the Colonel was waiting outside and had warned them before. She took it a bit far and was dispatched. (Understandably so.)
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#49]
that was a great episode.

Vain is going to rescue Flint...

can't wait for next week
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Truthfully all it was lacking was a fluffer cameo by Billy Boner.........and Long Dong Silvers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Truthfully all it was lacking was a fluffer cameo by Billy Boner.........and Long Dong Silvers.
Fixed.  

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top