Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:53:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Now if magpul were to make 18 round cz75b magazines. .....
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:01:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but with all the PCC that are Glock mag based including several new SHOT designs, maybe magpie has a better way of anticipating future market trends than we can? I mean Nick Leghorn from TTAG has already said "this is the year of the pistol caliber carbine" or something to that effect regarding SHOT show, maybe magpie knows more than we do in terms of 9mm Glock mag compatible carbines and such coming out, besides the huge profits from its "intended" sales of Glock pistol owners.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:01:15 AM EDT
[#3]
ill take some FNP40 mags please... those are 35 a piece
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:24:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a bunch of friends behind enemy lines in Connecticut, New York and New Jersey.  I will be buying these up and shipping them out in bulk.
View Quote

Admitting to such things here is bad for the life of your account.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:04:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but with all the PCC that are Glock mag based including several new SHOT designs, maybe magpie has a better way of anticipating future market trends than we can? I mean Nick Leghorn from TTAG has already said "this is the year of the pistol caliber carbine" or something to that effect regarding SHOT show, maybe magpie knows more than we do in terms of 9mm Glock mag compatible carbines and such coming out, besides the huge profits from its "intended" sales of Glock pistol owners.
View Quote

This is what I was thinking.  And who is it that sells the AR lowers with the magwell specially milled out for Glock mags?  Does anyone make 80% AR lowers for Glock mags?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:19:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have arched mainspring housings in most of my 1911s and they point about the same for me as my Glocks. <shrug>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have arched mainspring housings in most of my 1911s and they point about the same for me as my Glocks. <shrug>
Same here.  The A1 configuration always worked best for me (even before I touched a Glock) and the 1911 norm always pointed low for me.  

We must really suck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:55:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't really like Glocks all that much.  That being said, I've got a G22 on the nightstand next to the bed.  In the safe, I've got goodies to turn it into either a 9mm G17 imposter or a .357sig.  I really hope these new magazines hold up, and that Magpul follows up with G22 mags.  

I just wish they had a factory store, since they just moved in down the street.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:59:58 AM EDT
[#8]
They need to make a replacement frame with a better grip shape and angle, to go with their mags.  Some things about the Lone Wolf frame I don't really like.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

people that have that issue seem to be those that have lots of time behind a 1911.  muscle memory takes over and if you're used to the flat backstrap of a 1911, your hand will fight the palm swell of a glock.  for new shooters or those used to other types of handguns, the glocks tend to point very naturally

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another part bringing me closer to my dream of a Glock using no OEM parts.
Unity slide, Lonewolf frame, ZEV internals, and now magpul mags.

If someone REALLY wanted to bring a game-changer to market they'd design a full-cocked striker assembly.

Like this?

http://i.imgur.com/zDuphi3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QsHbEqe.jpg

I really cannot stand Glocks due to the grip angle and Glock people, but recognized reliability, simplicity, and that parts were available for them everywhere. I made this with as few parts possible. I'll probably sell my factory mags for Magpul just so I can keep factory parts out of it.

Lone Wolf Timberwolf frame and slide, storm lake barrel, mix of internals, Storm Lake barrel, and Dawson Precision sights front and rear.

Yup. I've been wanting to build a G17-type gun for a while, I just can't get over the grip angle. Buddy of mine handed me his reduced G22 he swears is the same angle as a 1911, and it's still an unnatural draw. If Glock offered a frame like the Robar Tri-grip I wouldn't even consider bothering with the LW frame.

people that have that issue seem to be those that have lots of time behind a 1911.  muscle memory takes over and if you're used to the flat backstrap of a 1911, your hand will fight the palm swell of a glock.  for new shooters or those used to other types of handguns, the glocks tend to point very naturally

Sigs, M9s, M&P along with a small bit of 1911s.

As for turning the Glock into a 1911 I figure why not. I would,t use gunshow parts nor would anything be fitted.  Plus it's still half the parts count. I see it more like my ARs not being original colt.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Glock tried the mags without the metal liner.  I had Glock mags with a metal liner that did not go all the way to the top in front eventually chip and crack off.   The current mags with the metal liner that extends to the top in front are the best yet.

Why would I want to go backwards to save a few dollars?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I think you have an overly optimistic view of what "game changing" is, but I won't argue against this being a good thing.

For how cheap Glock mags are already, though, it doesn't make a ton of sense to buy these at MSRP when the factory mags are utterly reliable and really not that expensive.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:04:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I can't shoot a glock got shit. I had a 19 for a short time. The forced position of the grip doesn't work for me. Meaning I don't like the finger grooves. Now if I could find a gen 2 at a good price, I'd probably buy it just to buy Magpul mags for it. Therefore, I'll continue to buy Springfield whose mags I can get on sale for right at $20.
View Quote

I was staunchly anti-GLOCK for a long time until I dremel-ed up the grip, removing the weird finger grooves and giving it an RTF-like super ugly amateur stippling job. Now it's still ugly but it works "good enough". I don't like how GLOCKs shoot or feel but it's hard for me to pass up something with that cost/reliability ratio.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't think Magpul will make mags for handguns that take metal mags.
View Quote

You mean like the AR did?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:16:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What if they turn out like those Korean Glock mags?
View Quote

my korean mags have been 100%
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Except that 87% of pistol owners will never buy more mags than came with the pistol in the box.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Except that 87% of pistol owners will never buy more mags than came with the pistol in the box.
View Quote

This is true.

But the 87% f arfcommers will make a big dent in that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Glock tried the mags without the metal liner.  I had Glock mags with a metal liner that did not go all the way to the top in front eventually chip and crack off.   The current mags with the metal liner that extends to the top in front are the best yet.

Why would I want to go backwards to save a few dollars?
View Quote

Because materials science
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't really matter if the oringal mag was metal or not. Will the required dimensions allow enough material thickness to make a polymer mag work, that and is there a legit market for it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Ummmm. We need 19 mags not 17 mags as the first ones. Hurry up damnit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Didn't read whole thread, maybe this has been said, but people that buy loads of mags to go with their pistol or rifle are the minority.  Most people buy the pistol, it comes with two mags, they're set.  Arfcom is a minority in the gun world in thinking we need 10+ mags per firearm.  I don't see this giving Glock a significant advantage over other companies.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why, because Magpul didn't make a fortune making mags for a rifle that was designed to use metal mags?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
First, consider the handgun market as it stood before these new mags were announced. There were marginal differences between service pistols, and we argue about those differences on a daily basis here, but for the most part, if you buy a quality pistol from the likes of Glock, Smith and Wesson, Beretta, or CZ, it's most likely going to be just fine. And I say that as a guy that's bought two defective Glock 9mms. The majority of the guns produced by any of these manufacturers will run with excellent reliability, and most experienced shooters won't observe much of a difference in accuracy.

Glocks have below average triggers and below average ergonomics, but mechanical simplicity and brand recognition are strengths. Another selling point often brought up by Glock fans is the availability of holsters and pricing of magazines. Holsters for many if not most major pistols will be available in most places that sell holsters. That leaves magazines...

Before today...
Magazines for Glocks were twenty-something dollars.
Magazines for Beretta 92s were twenty-something dollars.
Magazines for CZ 75s were twenty-something dollars.
Magazines for BHPs were twenty-something dollars.
Magazines for S&W 5906s were twenty-something dollars.

Some were more expensive, but I think you get the idea.

For the sake of this discussion, let's make two assumptions about these new Glock mags:
-Magpul is building a product that will work as advertised.
-These will have a street price around $10-12.

Now, we're looking at a change in market conditions. All of the above statements are still true, except Glock magazines are no longer twenty something dollars like most everything else. They're now under half that price. That's in addition to the fact that Glock ships the Gen4 pistols with three mags instead of two like everyone else. Even in retail terms (as opposed to Blue Label or GSSF), it will soon be possible for a customer to walk out of a gun shop with a brand new Gen4 G17 with 10 magazines for under or around $650. For the first time, Glock pistols have an edge that is objective, measurable, and quite significant. And the best part, from Glock's position, is that it's the investment of a third party that makes it possible.

And that leaves the rest of the industry an interesting decision to make. If you were running things at S&W, Springfield Armory, or Beretta, how would you address this problem? Do you increase the number of magazines that ship with your pistols? Do you find a way to cut costs on magazine production or reduce margins to make your product more affordable if possible? Or do you just stay the course and hope consumers still choose your pistols despite this disadvantage?

This could get interesting.
View Quote

You put so much thought and effort into this post, and yet didn't do the final Maths.

How many Mags does the Average shooter accumulate?        Assuming he's a real aficionado, we'll say 4.    So, two more mags at a savings of $10 each = $20 saved.

How many mags does the ubertactical Arfcommer / TEOTWAWKI prepper "Need"?       20 Perhaps?  30, If he wants enough for his GrandChildren and their Grandchildren?   $200 or $300 difference between Glock Vs. magpul.    Kinda nice, but not exactly life changing.    

Yes, I'm Familiar with people who collect hundreds of mags, but that's more of a Hording issue.   Trust me, it's nothing to be proud of.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

that is pretty much the deal in a nutshell.

for those that are not glock fans it really won't matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They can be $7 a piece and smell like gingerbread for all I care.. they go into Glocks, and Glocks aren't for me.

that is pretty much the deal in a nutshell.

for those that are not glock fans it really won't matter.

What about those new to the handgun market?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll wait for Lancers! (And I dont own a glock)

But seriously, with the sig MPX, Lancer is halfway there to making double stack handgun mags.

I am wondering how much thicker the glock mags are.... considering the Gmags dont have metal reinforcement.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Years ago, Glock mags were about half the price of everyone else.

Market did nothing

Glock bumped up their mag price 40% in 2008 IIRC.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#28]

They can be $7 a piece and smell like gingerbread for all I care.. they go into Glocks, and Glocks aren't for me.
View Quote

Me too, but I figure this is the second step in Magpul's plan for world domination in the magazine market. They took
over the AR-15 market, and they just started in the AK market, now they're expanding into handguns. Glock is the biggest
market, but I wouldn't be surprised if they started doing a couple more handguns a year.

I like their ads, BTW. They're a pretty artistic bunch for a redneck capitalist-roader killbot militia.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

It would be great... as would cheap Magpul mags for M&Ps, M9s, H&Ks, etc.

But those guns were built around metal mags to keep the grip as narrow as possible for a double-stack gun.  Going to a plastic magazine (one thick enough to work anyway) would mean losing rounds or completely redesigning the gun.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'll wait for Lancers! (And I dont own a glock)

But seriously, with the sig MPX, Lancer is halfway there to making double stack handgun mags.

I am wondering how much thicker the glock mags are.... considering the Gmags dont have metal reinforcement.
View Quote

I love Lancer AR mags. I think they could do a lancer mag Glock mag with metal feedlips and it would sell. And how sexy would it be in clear smoke with the 3-5 rd extensions?

Lancer is a competition oriented company anyways, so extended Glock mags make sense.

And, when the MPX takes off, I could easily see Magpul making cost competitive mags for it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

They probably can't.  Plastic mags are thick, pistols with metal mags wouldn't have enough room in the mag well for a plastic mag.  Just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#33]
i see it mainly as Magpul's endorsement of the idea that Glock as THE standard when it comes to handguns. An idea which I tend to agree with.

It doesn't mean that it is the best, just the most widely available with the most aftermarket support. The Toyota Camry of guns, if you will.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm ok with this. It'll make the OEMs cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ummmm. We need 19 mags not 17 mags as the first ones. Hurry up damnit.
View Quote

Agreed!

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#37]
n/a
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
They need to make a replacement frame with a better grip shape and angle, to go with their mags.  Some things about the Lone Wolf frame I don't really like.
View Quote

That would be very cool.  A Magpul Glock frame with fully customizable grip like the HKP30....
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That would be very cool.  A Magpul Glock frame with fully customizable grip like the HKP30....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Orrrrrrrrrrrr you could just buy some other gun.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They probably can't.  Plastic mags are thick, pistols with metal mags wouldn't have enough room in the mag well for a plastic mag.  Just my thoughts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like how the plastic 2011 frames are thicker than the steel or alloy 1911 frams?? Wait a minute....
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#41]
2 things

#1 - Did Magpul say these mags were going to sell for 12$?

#2 - I shoot an XDM that takes 40$ mags. I shoot a VP9 that takes 40$ mags. I shoot a KImber that I pay $36 for WIlson ETMs. I try to get about 4-8 for every pistol I own, and replace as needed. Magazine price has never been a deciding factor in gun purchases for me (or most other people), and will continue not to be. There are too many factors more important like how fast/reliable/accurate/ergonomic/comfort/firepower/value, etc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I think you have an overly optimistic view of what "game changing" is, but I won't argue against this being a good thing.

For how cheap Glock mags are already, though, it doesn't make a ton of sense to buy these at MSRP when the factory mags are utterly reliable and really not that expensive.

View Quote

Glock mags are $25+. If these work good for half the price, why not?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You missed a very important word sir.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

But those guns were built around metal mags to keep the grip as narrow as possible for a double-stack gun.  Going to a plastic magazine (one thick enough to work anyway) would mean losing rounds or completely redesigning the gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Meh. Factory mags work great, they are very durable are utterly reliable. A dozen and a few spares will last a loooooooong time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Agreed. Magpul is late to the game on this one.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you know, buy the HK P30.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the deciding factor.

If they are just as good as OE mags, and they're half the price, I will buy many.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, technically.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#49]
So many game changers of late, I can't keep up with them.
But seriously, try finding a comparably priced pistol with a trigger reset as nice as a stock Glock.
I would spend a few extra for a factory magazine unless Magpul comes out with a nice 30 round for the G20
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top