Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a good thing but it does not cause the earth to move.

I don't need, or want, 75 mags for my Glocks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They need to make 20-30 round glock mags
View Quote

In .45 and 10mm.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing but Glock OEM for my Glocks, no reason to change.  Magpul has some great stuff but mags for Glocks don't appeal to me
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't say they are under half the price of normal glock mags.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#5]

VIRUS WARNING

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy shit. A reputable manufacturer that built it's reputation on manufacturing high quality, highly reliable, battle proven magazines at a great price point for one of the most popular rifles the world has ever known has taken that same approach and applied it to one of the most popular sidearms the world has ever known and some still can't see the logic?

New aftermarket mags that cost at least half as much as new factory mags from a solid company with a stellar reputation. Yeah that sucks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a "game changer" for the LGS and anyone who sells guns. Now if any LGS is smart they could start the magazines at 1 for $15 2-4 $14 5-7 $13 8-9 for $12 and 10+ for $10. Mind you this would depend on how Glock starts pricing their mags. Mind you many used Glock mags go for $15-$20.

Now as for the other companies with metal mags it's a tough call. If the gen4 didn't phase them why would this?  Now this might rattle the cage but mind you a majority of the OEM mags are from Mecgar. If Mecgar decided to make a factory in the states might help into driving the price down but I don't see it anytime soon.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I like Magpul and I like this plan to give me these mags...
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm really interested to see if they have a metal liner.

If they do, great.

If they don't........well....then I'll be interested to see how they
actually perform and hold up. Think about it, even the Koreans use
a metal liner.

I love Magpul stuff, but have not been impressed by their AK mags.

I am looking forward to playing with these as I love Glocks.
Fingers crossed and hope they work as well as factory.....

and hoping they bring out higher capacity models in the future!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#11]
It is nice, but I don't see the point. Glock mags seem to be perfectly reliable as they are. This was not the case with the original AR mag. Maybe they will be a bit cheaper, if they're just a few dollars less, why not get a Glock built mag? We know that works. Unless they can regularly get these down to $12 or so, I don't see it taking off to well. Especially when a lot of people need 15 round mags ect.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The 33 round Glock mags are goofy long. A 20-22 rounder may hit the sweet spot, if it had a built in grip extension type deal on it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They need to make 20-30 round glock mags

The 33 round Glock mags are goofy long. A 20-22 rounder may hit the sweet spot, if it had a built in grip extension type deal on it.

I agree.  I had a couple.  Used them a few times, then sold them in the EE.  No regrets.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#13]
If Costa had stayed with Magpul, they'd be making cheap m&p mags now. Sad panda.jpg
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Another part bringing me closer to my dream of a Glock using no OEM parts.
Unity slide, Lonewolf frame, ZEV internals, and now magpul mags.

If someone REALLY wanted to bring a game-changer to market they'd design a full-cocked striker assembly.
View Quote

Like this?

If pics aren't loading click here.

I really cannot stand Glocks due to the grip angle and Glock people, but recognized reliability, simplicity, and that parts were available for them everywhere. I made this with as few parts possible. I'll probably sell my factory mags for Magpul just so I can keep factory parts out of it.

Lone Wolf Timberwolf frame and slide, storm lake barrel, mix of internals, Storm Lake barrel, and Dawson Precision sights front and rear.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It is nice, but I don't see the point. Glock mags seem to be perfectly reliable as they are. This was not the case with the original AR mag. Maybe they will be a bit cheaper, if they're just a few dollars less, why not get a Glock built mag? We know that works. Unless they can regularly get these down to $12 or so, I don't see it taking off to well. Especially when a lot of people need 15 round mags ect.
View Quote

If they're equally reliable, but half the price they'll sell. It's that simple.

MSRP is $16, which means it will be $10-13 street price. With G17 mags running $22-30, it should be easy to see why a $10-13 mag would do very very well.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree. They just put glock up there with the AR-15 as the gun everyone is going to buy. The 17/19/26 22/23/27 are going to be the 20th century 1911.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Except that 87% of pistol owners will never buy more mags than came with the pistol in the box.
View Quote

There's truth to your statement, but the times are changing, and so is the market.

The reasons people buy handguns and the manner in which people shoot handguns is evolving.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Like this?

http://i.imgur.com/zDuphi3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QsHbEqe.jpg

I really cannot stand Glocks due to the grip angle and Glock people, but recognized reliability, simplicity, and that parts were available for them everywhere. I made this with as few parts possible. I'll probably sell my factory mags for Magpul just so I can keep factory parts out of it.

Lone Wolf Timberwolf frame and slide, storm lake barrel, mix of internals, Storm Lake barrel, and Dawson Precision sights front and rear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If someone REALLY wanted to bring a game-changer to market they'd design a full-cocked striker assembly.

Like this?

Yup. I've been wanting to build a G17-type gun for a while, I just can't get over the grip angle. Buddy of mine handed me his reduced G22 he swears is the same angle as a 1911, and it's still an unnatural draw. If Glock offered a frame like the Robar Tri-grip I wouldn't even consider bothering with the LW frame.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I need a 10 pack of 30rd pmaglockazines plzthx!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Good thing you guys came into a Glock thread, then.  Thanks for sharing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They can be $7 a piece and smell like gingerbread for all I care.. they go into Glocks, and Glocks aren't for me.

Agree,  all your points I agree with,  but glocks could ship with 10 free mags,  still would buy something different.

Good thing you guys came into a Glock thread, then.  Thanks for sharing.

It's a valid point for discussion. I'm an M&P fan, but I have owned and shot Glocks in the past. The Gen4 line is good. The grip reduction, however slight, makes a difference for me as does the texture. I have always been a G19 kind of guy, but I'll admit that I'm curious about these magazines. I'll probably grab a few just 'cause, and I don't even own a Glock. Who knows? There might be a G17 in my distant future.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I have had zero problems out of my 8 dollar Korean mags. I carry the Glock mags if I am carrying the Glock, but for range use the Korean mags have been flawless.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There are very few people (in the big picture) who buy many pistol mags

That's why magpul had this so far down there list. Sure, they will sell, but glock has a good, metal lined relatively inexpensive mag. Two mags with the gun (or three) buy 2-4 more. Saving $20-$60. That's not much when it comes down to it.
View Quote

But on the flip side $20-$60 for a "normal" consumer is huge. Sure $20 might not sound big but to that consumer is an extra box of ammo. $60 is a holster. How ever you look at it the consumer is able to buy more for the same price.

As a side note even during the panic when we did get pmags in (rare and around $14) vs a $20 RJF and had a bunch people would wait for the cheaper product even though had the potential to be banned.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I will by some for sure, I like the idea of an orange follower.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:31:16 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My first thought was if I would bite on a 10 pack for $89. I'm not sure how many sidearm magazines I need just now. I'll have to buy more shelving if my Glock mag collection grows to AR proportions.

A ten pack for $89?

It would be on like http://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/6/67/DonkeyKongOriginal-SSBBrawl.png/200px-DonkeyKongOriginal-SSBBrawl.png

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
So your dream is to destroy the Glock in the way that the 1911 was destroyed by Bubba silliness?

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:33:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I can't shoot a glock got shit. I had a 19 for a short time. The forced position of the grip doesn't work for me. Meaning I don't like the finger grooves. Now if I could find a gen 2 at a good price, I'd probably buy it just to buy Magpul mags for it. Therefore, I'll continue to buy Springfield whose mags I can get on sale for right at $20.
View Quote

I've often heard this, and when I put shooters under the microscope more often than not there is no problem, except in the head of the shooter.

Not saying this is the case with you, I am saying that this is probably the case if you are shooting other guns - 1911s, XDs, HK, Beretta, SIG, BHP without issues.

The differences in contemporary handguns are not so great (or even noticeable) where someone can shoot a 1911 ok and not be able to shoot a Glock proficiently.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My VP9 came with 3 magazines and night sights for $650.

That being said, $12 replacement magazines are indeed a bit of a game changer.

If Magpul made VP9 mags that were reliable and worked, I'd probably buy 10 or 20 of them.

That all being said, I have two G23's and a G35…I am transitioning to the VP9 as my EDC…I doubt I will buy any Magpul Glock mags…but they do look nice.

View Quote

Wow! That's a good price. If you're talking about the stock "luminescent" sights, then it's a fair deal. If you're talking about tritium sights, then that is a smoking deal.

Magpul made polymer mags for the AR. It would be interesting to see them make polymer handgun magazines for some of the more popular pistols on the market. The M&P comes to mind in this regard. I'd don't know, though. The M&P frame is tight because the mags are metal so it's a thinner magazine wall to accommodate the 17 rounds. I'm not sure Magpul could fit 17 rounds in a thicker walled magazine. The bulkiness of the Glock frame and magazine due to the thicker magazine wall is an "advantage" in this respect.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:36:26 PM EDT
[#28]
While you can find deals and get factory mags for $20, most stores carry them for $30-$40. Imagine how many people will buy P-Mags at Cabelas when they're a few feet away from their regular price factory mags. They'll  definitely have the "fuck it, why not" appeal that will have them flying off the shelf. Glock might even drop their price on their pistols and only include one mag. They also might cut mag production if they're being undercut by Magpul. I'm curious to see what happens now too.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#29]
sorry, but i will wait and see how they work. no way i would switch right into an unproven mag when the glock mags have a very reliable track record. ill let you other guys try them out, and when the consensus is that they will run over and over without any failures, ill load up. until then, do not want.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

i'll stack them deep, in 20-30 years, my grandkids will need them
View Quote
Or you might in 2-3 . . . .

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So your dream is to destroy the Glock in the way that the 1911 was destroyed by Bubba silliness?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someday, he can have his real dream, an all Tapco Glock.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've often heard this, and when I put shooters under the microscope more often than not there is no problem, except in the head of the shooter.

Not saying this is the case with you, I am saying that this is probably the case if you are shooting other guns - 1911s, XDs, HK, Beretta, SIG, BHP without issues.

The differences in contemporary handguns are not so great (or even noticeable) where someone can shoot a 1911 ok and not be able to shoot a Glock proficiently.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't shoot a glock got shit. I had a 19 for a short time. The forced position of the grip doesn't work for me. Meaning I don't like the finger grooves. Now if I could find a gen 2 at a good price, I'd probably buy it just to buy Magpul mags for it. Therefore, I'll continue to buy Springfield whose mags I can get on sale for right at $20.

I just don't like the forced finger placement with the grooves in the grip. It's just not where my hand naturally falls when picking it up. I would find my fingers to be resting on the tips of the groove versus the valley.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#33]
What if they turn out like those Korean Glock mags?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Yea, but I can save my new OEM mags and use the cheap Magpul mags for the range.

Free

Quoted:

Nothing but Glock OEM for my Glocks, no reason to change.  Magpul has some great stuff but mags for Glocks don't appeal to me
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Instead of complaining, why not use the Magpul mags for the range or classes to save wear and tear on OEM mags? Seems like a no-brainer to me. The lack of a metal liner is a big deal to some but I have 100% confidence in anything made by Magpul. That said, I'll wait for the Gen 3 version to come out.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:41:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Glock has had an edge on competition ever since it burst on the scene.

View Quote

Glocks aren't for the slow learner or dull witted.   They have a habit of hurting themselves with them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
While you can find deals and get factory mags for $20, most stores carry them for $30-$40. Imagine how many people will buy P-Mags at Cabelas when they're a few feet away from their regular price factory mags. They'll  definitely have the "fuck it, why not" appeal that will have them flying off the shelf. Glock might even drop their price on their pistols and only include one mag. They also might cut mag production if they're being undercut by Magpul. I'm curious to see what happens now too.

View Quote

What if Glock turned to Magpul and contracted their mags as OEM?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Like this?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this?

I like that damnit.. GF's AR is current project.  Then I guess a copy of this..
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Agree,  all your points I agree with,  but glocks could ship with 10 free mags,  still would buy something different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They can be $7 a piece and smell like gingerbread for all I care.. they go into Glocks, and Glocks aren't for me.

New shooter walks into a shop.  Shop has G17 with 10 mags for $650 OTD or an HK VP9 with 3 mags for $650 OTD (or your handgun flavor of choice).  What do you think will attract the new shooter more?  Hell, they could even think "I don't need that many mags, but I could sell the extras and pocket $50".  

If Glock was shipping with 10 mags, and the competition was just shipping 2 (some even skimp with just 1), how do you think the market share dynamics would change?  Likely it would mean that the competition would have to respond to gain lost share back.  That benefits even those who never buy a Glock in the first place.  

I think the OP has a point though.  How many of us are willing to spend $15-$20 for a USGI mag now?  The price gap isn't that much from PMAGs, and honestly, neither is the performance gap.  And yet, almost every OEM now ships PMAGs with their rifles.  Will Glock start shipping Magpul PMAGs with their guns now?  No.  But someone looking to have 10-12 extra mags, the savings add up.  I also think Magpul will be responsive to the market, so we are more likely to see a unibody mag for things like USPSA.  And that is where real savings could be seen.  $20 Glock mag plus $40 extended base pad vs. a $15 high cap PMAG?  Possible Game Over for the base pad guys......

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd like to think Magpul decided to work everything out before flushing their reputation.

What they've done makes sense. Rake in fat stacks of cash in 2013, presumably spend 2014 re-investing said cash, and start 2015 by announcing an expanded product portfolio.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'd like to think Magpul decided to work everything out before flushing their reputation.

What they've done makes sense. Rake in fat stacks of cash in 2013, presumably spend 2014 re-investing said cash, and start 2015 by announcing an expanded product portfolio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Evil fucking geniuses!

I can imagine a Magpul board meeting would go like this -

Pinky: Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?
Brain: The same thing we do every night, Pinky - try to take over the world!

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It's a good thing but it does not cause the earth to move.

I don't need, or want, 75 mags for my Glocks.
View Quote

They're ultimately disposable end items.  You will eventually wear out a mag.

We all remember the AWB when mags like these were going for $100+.  I don't need all my AR mags.....until I need them and can't get them anymore.  I've seen some people conservatively estimate (IMO) that you need 10 mags per gun.  If you have a few Glocks, that adds up quickly.  Then think long term, buying cheaply because everything gets more expensive.  I'd rather buy more now at a cheaper price, use them until they break, and then go to my box and grab another versus hoping nothing happens politically and being able to buy another mag at a comparable price.

TL/DR - more mags at a cheaper price now = long term happiness
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#43]
I bought 4 s&w metal mags for $12 ea. from PSA.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't think Magpul will make mags for guns that take metal mags.
View Quote

The ar15 took metal mags...
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#45]
If they are as reliable as I expect them to be I'll buy a bunch.  They need to be solid as a rock though that's kind of a point with glocks.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Howzabout some Glock manufactured CZ P09 mags???
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think Magpul will make mags for guns that take metal mags.

Handguns
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I just don't like the forced finger placement with the grooves in the grip. It's just not where my hand naturally falls when picking it up. I would find my fingers to be resting on the tips of the groove versus the valley.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I shoot Glocks almost exclusively and really have to agree with you.  The G3 G19s will rub a blister on my middle finger after a couple hundred rounds.  It's an easy fix, but no pistol is perfect.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this?

Thanks.

Currently I'm considering going one with the G19 frame or going for a VP9.

Considering that this was more expensive than a new Glock I think I'll go VP9 then weigh my options...unless I find a completely boned G19 for super cheap and can just buy the Timberwolf frame.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#50]
I love the pmag and most of Magpuls stuff. I think these new Glock mags will be garbage. I wasn't very impressed with the ranger plates they made for Glock mags. I ran them when I worked armored car, they lasted maybe a few weeks. The plates with my mags looked cool for a little bit, till they fell apart. What a waste of money.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top