BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would a die grinder help make cutting the profile faster? Would it heat the metal too much while cutting?

Looks like a fun project.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Would a die grinder help make cutting the profile faster? Would it heat the metal too much while cutting?

Looks like a fun project.

Quoted:
Why are you not using a belt sander?

I have a grinder coming this week, but as I said in the OP I want to do this one by hand.   I'm in no hurry and to me its fun.   I'm certainly not going to do them all by hand.  This is nothing more than a time sink for me, its something to relax while doing.    Everything these days is rush rush rush, so its nice to take things slow.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yes many metals will work harden but if you use a die grinder with a carbide burr it will remove material faster.  This can be a good thing or a bad thing.  For a first attempt I try to encourage using a file for the fine work.  But then when a student comes to my shop they have access to my grinder.  Though many want to take their project home to work on it.  

Good Job OP.  you are progressing well.  Keep at it and don't try to rush.  That is what usually trips first time makers up.
View Quote

thanks, I'm in no hurry, I'm enjoying the slower pace, gives me time to think and understand what I'm doing
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Chalk your files to reduce pinning and make the chips that do get stuck easier to brush out.

View Quote

I read someone else mention this online, I think bladeforum, I'll have to look into it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Chalk your files to reduce pinning and make the chips that do get stuck easier to brush out.
View Quote

What is this "chalk your files" you speak of?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I read someone else mention this online, I think bladeforum, I'll have to look into it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I started to do this recently, it actually does make a noticeable difference. I saw it on a Larry Potterfield gunsmithing video oddly enough.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use a soapstone to "chalk" my files often, especially on softer materials. It helps to keep them from clogging with removed material. Just mark up the file with the soapstone prior to filing. A sulfur based cutting oil works as well but is a bit messier.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Neat winter project.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was thinking a cut off wheel to lop off chunks, then going at it with a file. I forgot about carbide burr bits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes many metals will work harden but if you use a die grinder with a carbide burr it will remove material faster.  This can be a good thing or a bad thing.  For a first attempt I try to encourage using a file for the fine work.  But then when a student comes to my shop they have access to my grinder.  Though many want to take their project home to work on it.  

Good Job OP.  you are progressing well.  Keep at it and don't try to rush.  That is what usually trips first time makers up.

I was thinking a cut off wheel to lop off chunks, then going at it with a file. I forgot about carbide burr bits.

Yes cut off wheels will work very well.  Just need to be careful.  The only time i ever went in for stitches was when a cut off wheel kicked back.  This is especially true when there is any angle involved
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#9]
subscribe, I've thought about doing something like this, but I hadn't taken the time to figure out where to start.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
subscribe, I've thought about doing something like this, but I hadn't taken the time to figure out where to start.
View Quote

you should do it.    hell if you have a vice, hacksaw and a few good files you are already there.

just buy some steel and get hacking
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Absolutely,  you need to go for it.  Just make sure you buy knife steel, or high carbon steel.  Do not buy the steel at Home Depot or Lowes.  It is low carbon and will not harden.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Absolutely,  you need to go for it.  Just make sure you buy knife steel, or high carbon steel.  Do not buy the steel at Home Depot or Lowes.  It is low carbon and will not harden.
View Quote

do you have a place you like to order from?   I ordered mine from NJ steel baron, but I'm hoping to find some place local so I can save on shipping.    With shipping it cost me about $52 for two 1.25" x 48"  .125" thick.    If I practice on making knives the same size as what I'm doing now i'll be able to make 12 of them, so about $4.30 a knife.   I can live with that, but I'm always searching for a deal
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Aldo us about the best deal in town.  Especially since your in NY.  I buy some steel from Kelly Cupples.  If you buy $100 or more shipping is free.  If your interested i can pm his contact info.  He does not do cc or pp, just good old cash or check.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You might find other items for your project here (in the Industry section of the site):

KnifeKits.com

www.knifekits.com
View Quote

I have them bookmarked with all my knife related things, good to know they are an industry partner, more reason to buy from them.   I need a few more little items like cutting oil, a decent shop apron (maybe a Kiss the Knifemaker one?), also I want to get a vice for my drill press, I need to wire up my motor for the grinder still.   Little things, but its all part of the fun.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice OP. Looking forward to the next update.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks good OP!  Knife making is fun, it's about as addicting as BRD once you really get going.  I've built several using pre-made knife blanks.  I attach and shape my handle material and give them as gifts mostly.  FWIW, I don't consider that knife making but I didn't have a forge for heat treating but I'm building one out of an old propane tank as we speak so hopefully soon I'll start making my own blades.  Got some 1085 and D2 steel to try out.  If you really get going later on and want some exotic and one of a kind handle material check out this place.  I've found a lot of places that sell unique and interesting stuff for handle materials.  To me building the handles is the most fun.

Ankrom Exotics

They have some cool things to use as handle material.  I like to use more traditional materials like wood, horn, or bone but I sometimes like to use something that stands out.  

Here's one I put together for my cousin a couple years ago.  Used sambar stag as the handle.  Brass & buffalo horn as the spacers.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#19]
This thread is relative to my edged tool syndrome.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There is some information and tutorials here that could help you: http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/4_Blades.html
View Quote

I read Fox's tutorial threads at least three times

You should make knives too Ed, give you something to do in retirement between feeding the chickens and surfing Arfcom
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Tag.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Update #2

Didn't get much done today, had some other non fun stuff to do

First thing is my motor showed up!

bad news is I forgot I had to wire a switch and cord into the damn thing

on an unrelated note but I thought you guys might like to see is this little device my grandfather made, I love it.   He was a steelworker by trade and a carpenter in his spare time.    I never got to know his as I was young when he died.   But every time I need some small bolt or nut or screw I say "I bet papa Joe has one I can borrow"  

anyways back to the knife, the tip was really bugging me all day

so it got a bit of file lovin tonight

slowly its coming along though, I'll file file file file file then I'll molest it for a bit, then back to the vice

this area was also pissing me off, I didn't care for the rounded off look

Now I have no idea what the current trend in knives is, but for some reason I wanted to square off the top there, I like the look more.   knife makes I'd like your thoughts on that.

Now I'm not certain how I'm going to shape my bevel.  Watching a lot of videos guys seem to like the total flat grind, but I'm not a huge fan of it.   to each his own though

I'm not sure what I'll end up with

but I do know that I want the tip to drop a bit more, so more filing

Here is where I left it, no radical difference from yesterday, just refining how I want it to look.    

Once I'm set with the basic shape I'll either start the bevel which I'm worried I'll fuck up or I'll drill some holes for the pins.   We'll see
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Meh.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Meh.
View Quote

don't be jealous man, I told you to stop over this weekend.   I'll even give you a chuck of steel you can call your own
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Your off to a good start! Take it slow and you'll be fine.

You said you dont want a full flat grind, are you looking more for a saber grind or a scandi grind?

Good work so far! Any idea on handle material?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You said you dont want a full flat grind, are you looking more for a saber grind or a scandi grind?

View Quote

I'll be honest i do not know the different grind types yet.   I'll look around online to see if i can find a pic of what i'm thinking
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have always liked this look on a blade, i think i've heard it called a high flat but i'm not sure.   I suppose i need to learn my grinds

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

don't be jealous man, I told you to stop over this weekend.   I'll even give you a chuck of steel you can call your own
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh.

Unless it's an architectural model, I won't be fabricating anything this weekend.

But nice start man, I'm looking forward to your progress.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You really need to clean your files.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok here is tonights update.  

Here is what I started off doing, finishing cutting this little bits along the bar

http://i.imgur.com/2f8qXtL.jpg

then hacking them off

http://i.imgur.com/xSJjE7t.jpg

Just checking out my progress while I sing "Sixteen Tons" to myself
http://i.imgur.com/YYx54MY.jpg

annnd I'm filing
http://i.imgur.com/KQrw280.jpg

starting to get some shape
http://i.imgur.com/uH45EpT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uwNr67F.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WF4G1VE.jpg

taking another look
http://i.imgur.com/2kOKcNh.jpg

fixing this pesky spot
http://i.imgur.com/8bGMj0V.jpg

and here is where I left it for tonight.   I've got to say this is pretty damn fun, its sort of mindless work but its nice to get let my mind relax
http://i.imgur.com/8Pih5c9.jpg

I have a few spots I'm really going to focus on next, like the tip.

You really need to clean your files.

And cut off the vice bolts
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have always liked this look on a blade, i think i've heard it called a high flat but i'm not sure.   I suppose i need to learn my grinds

http://www.northamericanknives.com/files/1788248/uploaded/692BKS%20-%20Buck%20Vanguard%20fixed%20blade%20drop%20point%20hunting%20knife.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.northamericanknives.com/files/1788248/uploaded/692BKS%20-%20Buck%20Vanguard%20fixed%20blade%20drop%20point%20hunting%20knife.jpg

That's a hollow grind. You need a contact wheel and a belt grinder to do it. If you cut the flat all the way to the spine you are doing a full flat grind.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:17:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's a hollow grind. You need a contact wheel and a belt grinder to do it. If you cut the flat all the way to the spine you are doing a full flat grind.
View Quote

ok thanks.    I'm going to look at the different grinds today to familiarize myself with them.    If I cut flat say 3/4 of the way up to the spine is that just a variation of a flat grind?   That is most likely what I'll do with this knife.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Here is a good example of the 3 most popular knife grinds:

Top: Flat Grind
Middle: Saber Grind
Bottom: Scandinavian Grind
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

http://store.battlehorseknives.com/assets/images/Brumby/Brumby%20(6).JPG

View Quote

I really like the look of the saber grind, but all three of those are good.  Its not that I hate a full flat grind, its just I prefer other grinds more
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I really like the look of the saber grind, but all three of those are good.  Its not that I hate a full flat grind, its just I prefer other grinds more
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well if I had a vote, I'd vote full-flat grind all day long. Then again it depends on what you're gonna do with the blade. I think the saber and Scandinavian grinds are best for blades that see a lot of bushcrafting and baton work. I just know I prefer the edge of a full-flat grind over the others, particularly in folders. Either way you're doing a great job with this project, OP.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have always been a huge fan of the Scandi grind. Its a very capable grind that really excels in the areas that I use a knife for and its very easy to touch up the edge. My advice would be pick the grind that suits your needs the best.

How will you use the knife?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have always been a huge fan of the Scandi grind. Its a very capable grind that really excels in the areas that I use a knife for and its very easy to touch up the edge. My advice would be pick the grind that suits your needs the best.

How will you use the knife?
View Quote

honestly I'm not sure, if it turns out nice I might take it hunting, the blade length is about right, maybe a tad long.    This knife isn't being made to fill a role, I just wanted to make one.   After I've made a few I plan on making them to fill certain roles, I'd like to make a set of good kitchen knifes at some point
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#40]
If your going to cut it with a "flat" file stay with a "flat" grind, trust me on this one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Update #3

I decided to have a good long look at the thing I've created.   I wasn't too happy.   This just had to get fixed

still looks a bit off in this photo, but trust me, its better

Next thing I wasnt digging the rounded end, so I squared it off a bit

at this point I figured I might as well try my hand at bevels, so I scribed the edge using a 1/8th drill bit to give me a center line.  

getting the double cut bastard file all set for my jig

jig ready to go

I was a bit nervous at this point, I ready didn't want all the filing and hacking to go to hell if I screwed up the bevel, but I'll never learn anything just twiddling my thumbs and whistling dixie

after a few minutes

taking a look before I flip it.

a lot of stuff that I read seems like most guys do one side at a time, but I kept going back and forth, I wanted to take it slow but also make sure I wasn't making huge mistakes

bevel is getting better

here is where I left for tonight.

the tip and edge

now a few things, I don't need a knife maker to tell me that my plunge line is total shit, Its too far down, but I messed up early on or at least I felt like I did so I moved it further down.    I will hopefully be able to clean it up with some patience.    

Also if any of you make this jig one thing I noticed at first is that if the back eye screw is set too high you can't file the tip properly, it ends up thicker than the rest of the blade.   I think I have finally found a good starting point but depending on your dimensions your results may vary.    I'm new at this though so maybe I'm just doing something retarded.  

still got a lot of work to do, but to steal part of Old_Painless's catch phrase, its fun to file stuff
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Your motivated! Patients is key!!! Tuned in.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Update #3

I decided to have a good long look at the thing I've created.   I wasn't too happy.   This just had to get fixed

http://i.imgur.com/V8DbNZv.jpg

still looks a bit off in this photo, but trust me, its better

http://i.imgur.com/KSqjGnf.jpg

Next thing I wasnt digging the rounded end, so I squared it off a bit

http://i.imgur.com/BTsotDm.jpg

at this point I figured I might as well try my hand at bevels, so I scribed the edge using a 1/8th drill bit to give me a center line.  

http://i.imgur.com/k39gLdq.jpg

getting the double cut bastard file all set for my jig

http://i.imgur.com/zNrZ6JX.jpg

jig ready to go

http://i.imgur.com/0Gv99Ys.jpg

I was a bit nervous at this point, I ready didn't want all the filing and hacking to go to hell if I screwed up the bevel, but I'll never learn anything just twiddling my thumbs and whistling dixie

http://i.imgur.com/p4IW5S1.jpg

after a few minutes

http://i.imgur.com/7a4mhAk.jpg

taking a look before I flip it.

http://i.imgur.com/0EXKYaH.jpg

a lot of stuff that I read seems like most guys do one side at a time, but I kept going back and forth, I wanted to take it slow but also make sure I wasn't making huge mistakes

http://i.imgur.com/zUUw2Ry.jpg

bevel is getting better

http://i.imgur.com/s3m83gp.jpg

here is where I left for tonight.

http://i.imgur.com/ZBK5Wsk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4QrofZd.jpg

the tip and edge

http://i.imgur.com/tMAKkSL.jpg
now a few things, I don't need a knife making to tell me that my plunge line is total shit, Its too far down, but I messed up early on or at least I felt like I did so I moved it further down.    I will hopefully be able to clean it up with some patience.    

Also if any of you make this jig one thing I noticed at first is that if the back eye screw is set too high you can't file the tip properly, it ends up thicker than the rest of the blade.   I think I have finally found a good starting point but depending on your dimensions your results may vary.    I'm new at this though so maybe I'm just doing something retarded.  

still got a lot of work to do, but to steal part of Old_Painless's catch phrase, its fun to file stuff

View Quote

Good shit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
  Good shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
  Good shit.

Quoted:
Looks good to me!!

thanks guys, maybe I'll motivate some of you to get filing
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#46]
coming along nicely..  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#47]
the title gave me flashbacks of DI knifehands
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Im liking it , so far
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#49]
I need to fix this, I thought I was happy but every time I look at this image it just glares at me.    

hmmm
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top