Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2015 10:28:54 AM EDT
Just kidding, engineers. I don't know how many chemical engineers or molecular scientists frequent Arfland, but if you know material properties, feel free to chime in. You're sure to know more than me, hence this post.

I broke my favorite coffee cup. During my drive to work I noticed the deep crack encircling the top of the rim, I wondered what the difference in the materials was that allowed the cup to keep doggedly clinging to its former shape instead of shattering like glass would have. It is made of a material like melamine or some variety of polymer/composite. I broke it by dropping it on the top edge but didn't notice the crack at the time.

On a molecular level, what is holding it together? (I know bonds, but what kind?) What elements is melamine made of, and what kind of bonds does common glass use?

I used to love my science classes, especially the ones that dealt with material properties, but that was eons ago. If you have a general or specific knowledge on this , I'm all ears. Or rather, eyes. I know this post will probably die an ignominious death, but I have to at least ask. I'm curious. :)
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
/ thread

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Cliff notes?

I'm stuck at the office and can't hunt this thing down and digest it till later.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Are molecular magnets like other magnets?  That is, that they work because of magic?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's the thing - ALL materials have cracks.  Period.  The only 2 questions are:
1) How big are they?
2) Where are they?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here's the thing - ALL materials have cracks.  Period.  The only 2 questions are:
1) How big are they?
2) Where are they?
View Quote

It all comes down to how small you can make the inclusions.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Likely all of the little jagged edges and angles on the two broken surfaces are interlocked.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#8]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass

Have at it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Propagation simple propagation,,,propagation is the game we like to play.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Shared hydrogen bonds?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#11]
covenant bonding.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#12]
If you washed the cup every now and then, the interior would not have been coated in an thick layer of coffee shellac.

Find a replacement that is both well-insulated, and can go in the dishwasher.  

http://www.thermos.com/products/vacuum-insulated-16-oz-midnight-blue-travel-tumbler.aspx
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Pics of husband holding cup.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Yes, but how do they work?

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Do you wash your coffee cup?

Also, pics of cup?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Does it leak through the crack?

A proper engineer will keep asking questions until you just go away with no answer.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If you washed the cup every now and then, the interior would not have been coated in an thick layer of coffee shellac.
http://www.thermos.com/products/vacuum-insulated-16-oz-midnight-blue-travel-tumbler.aspx
View Quote
I have one of those, and it works great.

That said, here are the manufacturer's instructions regarding dish-washability: "

• DO NOT place product in the dishwasher to clean. Product is not dishwasher safe (except stainless steel bottle and can insulators)."

Do as you will with that information, but now you know what you are not supposed to do.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh come on! You didn't learn about the millions of tiny little gnomes holding matter together when you were in school?

What is holding your coffee mug together is the same thing that allows Neo to look like the Neo he's used to seeing in the mirror and not look like Morpheus. "Remembered identity." Your coffee mug remembers it was a mug and holds its shape even though it was filled with the red bull instead of the blue hills coffee. It's awake and atrophied but still retains its shape because that's what it remembers it looking like.

Ok, really, it boils down to a nuclear force. Down at the atomic level, the elements that compose your coffee mug have an affinity for each other and share electrons amongst themselves... kind of like sharing a joint but a lot smaller and a lot more joints and a lot faster. There's a crack where you dropped it and the bonds between the atoms at that point were separated but their nuclear force is still holding them together. It's like when you've got a piece of cellophane and it'll stick to your finger like a booger but shake your finger and it'll fall off. Weak nuclear bonds join the electrons in the cellophane's atoms to orbit around in the electron clouds of the atoms making up your fingers. Or it might just be called static electricity. If I'm right, awesome and yay me. If I'm wrong, then boo!

And the stuff holding your mug together is called a monomer. Or a polymer. Or a copolymer. Or an ionomer. Or something 'erish. And it has the remarkable ability to take some massive shearing forces that would shatter a ceramic mug but only crack yours. It's flexible enough at its molecular level to absorb the shock (mostly... it did suffer damage to its coherent matrix of matter)
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

You stay away from my man, you hussy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Polymers have very little in common with glass.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#21]
difficult to say when you cant even give us the material specs
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're an engineer you just make them up anyway, right?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope that was said in jest, or is there some underlying dislike of engineers buried in this thread?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That said, here are the manufacturer's instructions regarding dish-washability: "
  • DO NOT place product in the dishwasher to clean. Product is not dishwasher safe (except stainless steel bottle and can insulators)."
Do as you will with that information, but now you know what you are not supposed to do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, the lid goes on the top rack with all the other materials that the OP would not be able to identify
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1) How big are they?
2) Where are they?

Is this true for even materials that are single crystal?  I think they are homogenous down to the molecular level.  I could be wrong....
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:56:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
1) How big are they?
2) Where are they?
View Quote

What about "What conditions might cause them to propagate?"
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:56:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good one.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:00:32 AM EDT
[#29]
In before the aliens guy?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#30]
"The crack was not deep enough to release the magic smoke" is my professional opinion.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1) How big are they?

2) Where are they?

And how long it takes the crack to get to its critical size

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A proper engineer will keep asking questions until you just go away with no answer.
View Quote

This guy is obviously a senior engineer. Maybe even the chief engineer!
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Probably being held together by the factor of safety...
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:19:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Guh I engineer all day, just want to come hope an look at shiny things and read about guns on the intranets but noooo you have to make me think at home too!
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:09:48 AM EDT
[#35]

My wife is a Ceramic Engineer. I could ask her, but I'm not waking her up to do it and I'm sure I won't remember in the morning.

You're welcome.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:38:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I hope that was said in jest, or is there some underlying dislike of engineers buried in this thread?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh that's right, engineers are literal people. Here's your smiley face.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:40:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

All the molecules promise to hold on to each other?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
covenant bonding.

All the molecules promise to hold on to each other?

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:47:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Oh come on! You didn't learn about the millions of tiny little gnomes holding matter together when you were in school?

What is holding your coffee mug together is the same thing that allows Neo to look like the Neo he's used to seeing in the mirror and not look like Morpheus. "Remembered identity." Your coffee mug remembers it was a mug and holds its shape even though it was filled with the red bull instead of the blue hills coffee. It's awake and atrophied but still retains its shape because that's what it remembers it looking like.

Ok, really, it boils down to a nuclear force. Down at the atomic level, the elements that compose your coffee mug have an affinity for each other and share electrons amongst themselves... kind of like sharing a joint but a lot smaller and a lot more joints and a lot faster. There's a crack where you dropped it and the bonds between the atoms at that point were separated but their nuclear force is still holding them together. It's like when you've got a piece of cellophane and it'll stick to your finger like a booger but shake your finger and it'll fall off. Weak nuclear bonds join the electrons in the cellophane's atoms to orbit around in the electron clouds of the atoms making up your fingers. Or it might just be called static electricity. If I'm right, awesome and yay me. If I'm wrong, then boo!

And the stuff holding your mug together is called a monomer. Or a polymer. Or a copolymer. Or an ionomer. Or something 'erish. And it has the remarkable ability to take some massive shearing forces that would shatter a ceramic mug but only crack yours. It's flexible enough at its molecular level to absorb the shock (mostly... it did suffer damage to its coherent matrix of matter)
View Quote

See! THIS is the fascinating thing about materials. Of any kind. For any property there seems to be an opposite force for that property. What you can make, you can unmake. Do and undo. Poison and antidote. It's a ballet of cause and effect, so elegant. SO many factors that go into so many different properties. And states of matter...if glass is a liquid, then it's in a state of flow of some sort, right? ANd is there a timeline associated with it? Is that the concept behind an atomic clock? Is shattering a glass interrupting its timeline?

When I start trying to think about all the different planes of existence it gets complicated, maybe because I haven't taken university level engineering or physics. But looking at these questions like a layman means I think in layman's terms, and that means having to think metaphorically so I can understand concepts foreign to me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1) How big are they?
2) Where are they?

Those *are* the conditions, along with the type of material.  Crack propagation depends on 3 things:
1) Stress - hence the location, as different areas on a part have different stress risers
2) How big it is to start with
3) a coefficient determined experimentally for each material/alloy.

If you have those, you can determine how many load cycles a component can experience at various loads.  It's not a linear relationship - if the crack is small enough to start, or the stress is low enough, it can experience effectively infinite cycles.  Think steel car wheel.  But as the crack size increases, or the stress level does, the number of cycles a part can see before fracture comes down a lot.  It's why the original Oldsmobile diesels would break crankshafts, which was otherwise unheard of at the time. The beancounters figured they just had to slap diesel heads on a gas engine bottom end - including, I believe, a cast crank.  But diesels put a LOT more stress on cranks than gas engines do.  The cast cranks experienced classic fatigue failure, because the casting process inherently leaves larger discontinuities than forgings, and they were above the size that allowed that defacto infinite life we had come to expect.  Olds changed to forged cranks, as well as some other improvements, and the engines became very reliable, but too late.  In the public's mind diesel engines in cars were now "unreliable" and they still haven't recovered from that slander.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My wife is a Ceramic Engineer. I could ask her, but I'm not waking her up to do it and I'm sure I won't remember in the morning.

You're welcome.

View Quote

Alfred grad?  My cousin went there.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

... surprisingly, the ability to construct a formal, Root Cause Analysis is rare
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:23:41 AM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/Old_man_in_Harar2.jpg

Very funny, Ultamagbrion.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#44]
As I understand it, an atomic clock doesn't deal with states of matter. It deals with the decaying of an atom and it's half life and electrons and crap... Like at the end of a football game... One team is beating the tar out of the other and the fans are leaving... Think of the fans as electrons being cast off as the atom changes from whatever it is to a different element... To a different element... To finally become stable... Like cesium to whatever it turns into...

It's not quite as fast as the stands cleared out when one team was getting waxed 75-3 because it takes years for the half life to change... But it's known how many electrons are shed by certain elements as they degrade and slough off into something new.

Remember, there are 4 states if matter: solid, liquid, gas, and plasma. Different planes of existence gets more into a metaphysical discussion...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top