[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Probably.
http://i.imgur.com/VfsQpfY.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Good grief.
What's that....like $15,000 laying right there on the ground? What's your secret to getting the "funding approval" for all those nice fucking toys you got there...

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:36:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I built my own. I just took it apart to rebuild it out of aluminum tubing instead of thread all and laser cut plywood. Sorry so lame.
View Quote
I was looking at that.  Seems like a fun project, but it isn't exactly a helmet-mounted monocle.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:37:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was looking at that.  Seems like a fun project, but it isn't exactly a helmet-mounted monocle.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I built my own. I just took it apart to rebuild it out of aluminum tubing instead of thread all and laser cut plywood. Sorry so lame.

No sir, it is not.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:38:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The link I posted above is $500.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it becomes about 1200$ we'll all get some.

The link I posted above is $500.

All I saw on your link was about 8 different optics from 2500$ -6000$
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:39:59 AM EDT
[#7]
saved FOREVER (technically,  embezzled.  Domestically. Domestic Embezzlement FTW) and got a PVS-14.  After reading listening to Katrina,  and talking to a friend of mine who went through Katrina,  I decided I'd rather have a 10/22 with a suppressor and NV than a completely decked AR with all the stuff and no NV>

it's surprising how often I use it now for mundane stuff like checking out what the noise in the back yard is,  hunting racoons and coyotes,  chasing my kids playing fugitive (motorcycle + NV = unfair advantage in fugitive)
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:42:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:42:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I make do by eating a lot of carrots.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:43:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:44:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:44:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
saved FOREVER (technically,  embezzled.  Domestically. Domestic Embezzlement FTW) and got a PVS-14.  After reading listening to Katrina,  and talking to a friend of mine who went through Katrina,  I decided I'd rather have a 10/22 with a suppressor and NV than a completely decked AR with all the stuff and no NV>

it's surprising how often I use it now for mundane stuff like checking out what the noise in the back yard is,  hunting racoons and coyotes,  chasing my kids playing fugitive (motorcycle + NV = unfair advantage in fugitive)
View Quote

People who haven't used NV don't realize just how awesome the ability to see when everyone else can't is. It really is an amazing piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:44:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:46:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:49:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Sometimes I wonder if I have better than most night vision.

I work outside and when it's dark in early pre dawn times, my crew will go out and take a look at their jobsite and stuff.  Inevitably,  they will use headlights and flashlights. I am always telling them to turn that shit off. I can see better without it.

Now, I don't realky mean I can see everything in the dark, but artificial light outside, seems to make it worse for me if it's not blanketing the entire area.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:52:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Because I'm a terrible person that isn't wise with money.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:58:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Because of NFA and all the can BoGo's. I just got set up with body armor. After a couple of more SBr's & a MPX I'm jumping in NV and IR feet first.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:18:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Sometimes I wonder if I have better than most night vision.

I work outside and when it's dark in early pre dawn times, my crew will go out and take a look at their jobsite and stuff.  Inevitably,  they will use headlights and flashlights. I am always telling them to turn that shit off. I can see better without it.

Now, I don't realky mean I can see everything in the dark, but artificial light outside, seems to make it worse for me if it's not blanketing the entire area.
View Quote
Got blue eyes?

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:22:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I love thermal imaging and have used it extensively.  

Can't justify the bucks.

eta I do have some ancient Russian made generation <1 hand held piezoelectric powered toy that is fun to play with.  It's useless for real life. Somewhere in my pile of stuff that I haven't seen in a decade.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:32:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:35:05 AM EDT
[#21]
My legitimate response:

I don't know what to buy. I got out of the Marines in 92. We had old heavy weapon mounted crap that weighed 5 lbs. I have no problem spending the money but I want to do a turnkey thing that gets it done. Buy once, cry once. I don't want to depend on a salesman to help me.

Thermal is fine. I am a bug in kinda guy anyway.

So RustedAce, what do I get?

Jim
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:37:46 AM EDT
[#22]
The night time is the right time.

PVS-14
Crye Airframe
Wilcox Mount
Inforce IR on helmet

PEQ2A on 14.5 AR with NV compatible Eotech and Surefire Scout with Vampire IR head (this is phenomenal for coyote hunting at night)

PVS24 on my KAC/HCS Mk12Mod1 which I'll try out the new TNVC PEQ15 on this year sometime.

I'm to the point of looking at IR driving lights for the Jeep.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:40:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why dont you?

"History is made at night, character is what you are in the dark."

Half of the time is night time, why can't you see during it?

Especially folks with 4-5 nice rifles, why have those but not the ability to see in half the day?

View Quote

Why do you hate poor people???

Side note why are you costing me money. ?????????
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:46:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:48:12 AM EDT
[#25]
My thermal iPhone camera laughs at your NV.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:54:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Because ITAR
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:55:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:57:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Dont worry we will let you look through our America science at Cola Warrior every year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because ITAR

Dont worry we will let you look through our America science at Cola Warrior every year.

I'm thinking aboot adopting a Canadian. If I do it will probably be him. No worries.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:58:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:00:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Can't save money beyond my retirement... Need nods and IR laser for my carbine and a thermal for my bolt gun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:00:22 AM EDT
[#31]
I found a doctor who said for twenty menthol kools he would do a surgical shine job in my eyes, thus negating the need for night vision.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:06:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I found a doctor who said for twenty menthol kools he would do a surgical shine job in my eyes, thus negating the need for night vision.
View Quote
Seems legit, can we trade places?

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:07:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's hard to catch up with.  Stays at a different EconoLodge every night
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:09:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Because money.
View Quote

This. Flashlights are much cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:10:26 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I'm going to have to back out of this one. If he was at a holiday Inn I would leave a generous tip and a Google review.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:16:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Good grief.
What's that....like $15,000 laying right there on the ground? What's your secret to getting the "funding approval" for all those nice fucking toys you got there...

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/26/26852fd59b278931c44c7a8e45db03cd6c113eef0de0ffaeb915dc0921843e6b.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good grief.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/26/26852fd59b278931c44c7a8e45db03cd6c113eef0de0ffaeb915dc0921843e6b.jpg

See that extra pin on the rifle? More like 35K.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:19:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Oh yeah. I have green eyes, good gen 3 even, but they are PVS-7s, not 14s, so I am not a cool kid.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:19:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good grief.

Holy fuck! I was so busy fapping to the rest of the pic I didn't even notice that. RustedAce is a god damn god!

Be back in 10.....
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:21:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Born too late to cash in on the Oil Wars like RA...

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:29:43 AM EDT
[#40]

Day shift.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:32:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Currently saving up. Might at least have the 14 before CW5.

Dunno about the IR laser and torch though. Probably will have to buy 2 of those Surefire 60 rounders to spray at targets or something.

ETA: Used to have a D 300 milspec unit. Wasn't very impressed with it and sold it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 5:33:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 5:53:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Soon.....
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:12:20 AM EDT
[#44]
I have used them in the mil and think they are cool.  Want a PVS-14 but just can't part with the cash for something I doubt I will use much.  Plus, I'm hoping the technology will improve and prices go lower.  I'm thinking eventually electronic night vision will be about as good.

Anyone try one of these:  ATN X-Sight

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:16:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:19:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Cant shoot a couple of SBRs at the same time, can shoot one SBR with NV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After a couple of more SBr's & a MPX I'm jumping in NV and IR feet first.

Cant shoot a couple of SBRs at the same time, can shoot one SBR with NV.

this -- I would have a single rifle with night vision capability (and IR aiming light) before collecting a whole crap ton of rifles
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Because of ITAR. Quality NV is ridiculously expensive here, and spending 5K+ on a stolen/smuggled PVS-14 doesn't appeal to me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:54:31 AM EDT
[#48]
I've got an inexpensive "modern" gen 1 monocle made with a Russian tube that was given to me as a gift. It isn't much good for walking around since it has 5x magnification, but it is surprisingly good in decent low light for observation. Its illuminator is somewhat useful out to 20 yards or so, but combined with an IR torch I can clearly see just about anything in my 20 acre field at night. I may not be able to count the points on the deer, but I can pretty reliably tell you buck or doe

With even a little bit of moonlight I don't really ever even need the IR.

I have played with a friend's PVS-14 so I know just how much better they can be, but until I can finish saving pennies (working on it, also have a bad racing habit) I think it is better than nothing in a lights out situation.

That sciency Gen1+ tube previously discussed is a bit tempting because I could already afford that and the helmet to go with it...Someone with knowledge about such things needs get a hold of one to tell us if it is a worthy stop-gap .
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:54:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Too expensive for me, at least for the stuff that would be of any quality.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:55:12 AM EDT
[#50]
When the SHTF I'm coming to your house o take yours!

Just kidding, I have one.....but i wouldn't mind two...
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top