Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2014 7:29:20 PM EDT
I just had a molar pulled: last one on the left upper side (#16?). Now I'm getting air into my mouth, from my sinuses!

Talked to the doc and he said come in Wednesday if it's still bothering me. I'm still on antibiotics and a nice dose of oxycodone.

Anyone else experience this?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Add a decongestant like Sudafed to your meds.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you may have some bone loss/ degeneration. I may well be wrong, but I don't believe the roots should extend into the sinus cavity.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like you may have some bone loss/ degeneration. I may well be wrong, but I don't believe the roots should extend into the sinus cavity.
View Quote

Doc said I didn't have bone loss. In fact, the roots had fused to the bone; he says this frequently happens with teeth that have had a root canal. No bone loss.

eta He and other dentists have mentioned that my sinuses DO exist unusually close to the teeth roots.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Doc said I didn't have bone loss. In fact, the roots had fused to the bone; he says this frequently happens with teeth that have had a root canal. No bone loss.

eta He and other dentists have mentioned that my sinuses DO exist unusually close to the teeth roots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

All
Purpose

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:03:29 AM EDT
[#5]
You got the molar aids
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:06:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Mouth Breather.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:11:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just had a molar pulled: last one on the left upper side (#16?). Now I'm getting air into my mouth, from my sinuses!

Talked to the doc and he said come in Wednesday if it's still bothering me. I'm still on antibiotics and a nice dose of oxycodone.

View Quote

So you're getting air through the hole they accidentally created upon pulling your molar? So there's a hole from the socket up into your sinuses?

I would be finding a different oral surgeon stat.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:13:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Well it will make flushing the sinuses a hell of a lot easier.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:23:24 AM EDT
[#9]
A sinus exposure is a fairly common complication of a tooth extraction of the upper molars. Don't know your nose hard or hold in any sneezes. Your surgeon will probably just suture the area up and prescribe some meds. Nothing to really worry about.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So you're getting air through the hole they accidentally created upon pulling your molar? So there's a hole from the socket up into your sinuses?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are not going to find any dentist who never had a sinus exposure occur if they do lots of extractions day in and out.  It's a risk and happens in many cases despite even the most skilled efforts to avoid it.  If it is small enough it can heal on its own with proper home care. If it's very large surgical means may be needed for it to close.  If the membrane is not perforated it is a much better situation but it can still heal just fine if it has been.  The fact that air is coming though indicates the sinus membrane was in fact perforated.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 4:17:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, it's healed on its own, I'm not gurgling in either direction now. But it was a pretty strange sensation, to be able to draw air in through my jaw!

I'm seeing him this AM for a checkup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top