Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/21/2014 5:21:34 PM EDT
Are you happy being alone, or are you struggling?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm happy. Are you happy?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm happy. He's happy. Are you happy?

In any case don't stop with your dating adventure threads...  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will keep you posted on my struggles
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:26:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Happy is a state of mind. I'm happy. When ever I wonder about this I think of my previous marriage and divorce and it reinforces my decision to be single.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I go where I want, whenever I want.  I am not struggling in the least.  
My home is peaceful and very tidy.  

I don't know why people assume that single people struggle with being alone.  Some of us don't.
People who complain and whine about being alone obviously don't have enough to do.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Happy is a state of mind. I'm happy. When ever I wonder about this I think of my previous marriage and divorce and it reinforces my decision to be single.
View Quote

And then there's that!
+1 to this sentiment.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Been single 2 years. Dating sucks and women these days suck.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm happy. I learned a valuable lesson. Never date a woman that drinks heavily. Things could get real interesting, real fast.

I found out she had a thing for guys that would fight for her. It led to a few interesting situations. The nookie was just too good to leave.

Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I like doing what I want whenever I want to do it
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm 36, the last time I was single was age age 15. Been with the same woman the whole time
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been single my entire 58 years.
Happy as can be and wouldn't want it any other way!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Been single for a while.  I love it.  If I met the right woman it would be one thing, but I am not the type to date someone just for the sake of not being single.

Plus I am young, have a pretty decent job, and my last relationship left a pretty sour taste in my mouth.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Single for 2.5 years. Not happy. Although I did realize recently it is a fairly carefree life being single.

Eta, if I had a fuck buddy I think I would be much much happier
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I am okay , somewhere in the middle , been single a while
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm 36, the last time I was single was age age 15. Been with the same woman the whole time
View Quote

I used to work with a guy like that.  Started dating his current girlfriend (they never got married, but they have two kids together and have been together ever since) when they were 15, and at the time he was just about to turn 30.  He had spent literally half of his life with the same person by the time he was 30, I always thought that was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#16]

I just flat out have no need for a long-term relationship. Nothing against women in particular, I just prefer not to live with anyone or spend that much time with one particular person.

I've been married and divorced twice, had a live-in girlfriend for a few years, and have dated 25 or so other women the last few decades. I can get one anytime I feel like it with minimal effort, but I'm just not in the mood for it these days (I'm talking about relationships, not sex, that's a different subject).

The last four days I have played golf, been deer hunting with my dad and brother, built a fire in the yard and hung out drinking beer with some friends, whipped up two batches of homebrew beer, put up 6 dozen pickled eggs and four quart jars of homemade sauerkraut, picked a load of mustard greens to freeze, shot pool with my son at the American Legion, watched some football last night and right now since it's all rainy and dreary outside I'm enjoying an IPA, surfing the web and shooting some shit on Call of Duty on my son's old XBOX. Right now from my perspective, adding a relationship to that mix is going to cut into all my activities, and honestly I'm having a blast and have embraced and love being single and unattached. If I could describe it in one word it would simply be: FREEDOM
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am okay , somewhere in the middle , been single a while
View Quote

Same for me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#18]
well, i'm happy to be away from my ex-wife, to answer the question.

but in general i'm not very happy. i see all these green, white, and red lights around town and i don't have any of that bullshit "christmas spirit."

granted, i haven't been happy in a very, very long time so to be fair this christmas isn't much different from all the others. sometimes i am in town and i look at people out with their families doing whatever, with these humongous grins and i think to myself "how can anyone be this happy, ever? i mean if i won 10 million fucking dollars i still don't think i'd be this happy." and then reality sets in again. i was at the local burger joint earlier today and saw this middle aged guy in there. his wife is telling him something but he's not paying attention, his kids are on their phones ignoring both of them, and he is just staring out into space with the most blank, disconnected glare i have ever seen, a big frown on his face.

i recognized that guy. i mean, i've never met him in my life, but i recognized the stare. it was the stare of just not caring anymore. it reminded me that at least some real people exist this time of year.  i'm just happy we are wrapping this year up. 2014 was the worst in my 48 years of existence. not like the calendar changing digits will somehow make things better. i can see how 2015 will go and i'm not exactly looking forward to it either.

could be worse, though. wasn't there recently a thread about a guy who lost his child recently? i couldn't imagine that. right around christmas, too. that is awful. poor guy.

i guess good things rarely happen to good people. a good man loses their child, two cops lose their lives for just doing their jobs. whatever other awful shit happened this week.
and our society keeps whining.

for all the wrong reasons.

god bless  america.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#19]
A 5 Solas relationship thread, with poll!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't know why people assume that single people struggle with being alone.  Some of us don't.
People who complain and whine about being alone obviously don't have enough to do.
View Quote

I stay very busy between work, exercising, church, hobbies, friends, and family.

It's the 10% of the time I wish I had someone to do stuff with and have someone great to be with. I'm starting to think that person doesn't exist for me and it's just a fantasy in my mind. Dating sucks these days.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm fucking awesome.

No worrying if I'm going to upset someone over some trivial bullshit.

I eat what I want, and actually get laid.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I was unhappy single, then happy dating, then unhappy dating, then happy single, now happy dating again.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I stay very busy between work, exercising, church, hobbies, friends, and family.

It's the 10% of the time I wish I had someone to do stuff with and have someone great to be with. I'm starting to think that person doesn't exist for me and it's just a fantasy in my mind. Dating sucks these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dating is hit or miss for me.  I've been out with guys I liked but who aren't done skirt chasing.
I've also been out with guys who want to settle down but who brought little to the table, or guys who were needy and clingy to the point it was a complete turnoff.  
I wont settle.  I'd rather be single than settle.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Hey OP.log out and back in.

Tryin to spread some holiday cheer to a fellow lifer.

I voted long time and very happy.

That is why I have a little money laying around.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#25]
It's not an all or nothing deal.

I was married for a long time. I've now been single for along time.

Some periods of each were awesome. Some were horrible.

Winter is usually more of a "it sucks to be single" time for me. Holidays suck IMHO without someone to make it special with. I have entirely too much time on my hands.

Summers are busy with fishing and shooting. No time for thinking or missing .

The older I get, the more I realize the do whatever I want aspect is awesome. But doing it alone sucks more as well.

It is what you make it .

Life's a garden, dig it
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm single and content with my situation. I've had a few long term relationships and a bunch that were more casual.

I'm going to turn 30 in a couple weeks, I just bought a house and I've got a dog. Life is good.

My last serious relationship put me in a bad spot psychologically and I'm not quite ready to get into another. I'm not lonely, I don't need somebody to snuggle with and I don't need someone else to make me feel complete. When someone comes along and we click it is nice, but I don't need to be with someone to be happy.

I know people, both genders, who really need to be in a relationship in order to feel good about themselves and be happy. I'm just not one of those people. I'd be thrilled to meet a girl that just set my whole world on fire, but I'm going to keep on enjoying my life in the mean time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I am not happy or unhappy really.  Every time I read a arfcom curse thread or hear a friend complain about his wife, then I am happy.

When I want help house shopping, interior decorating tips, travel companion of the opposite sex, a sammich, someone to go out to dinner with, someone to greet me when I come home, then maybe I may feel a little lonely, but not unhappy.

Honestly I think I am one of those men that are checking out of relationships as mentioned in this thread. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1693158_The_Sexodus_Part_1__Men_giving_up_on_Women_and_checking_out_of_Society.html

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been single most my life. I mean sure I have relationships here and there, but most are just a few months long. I will say that being single provides a lot of stability in my life which does make me happy. I have dated some women who make me very happy and improve my life, but then it always ends for one reason or another. It's those types of women that are keepers generally speaking. Then there's the women who I believe make me happy, well they make me happy in the bedroom, but they seem to cause lots of headaches elsewhere and it's not worth the pain. It's these types of women who once I dump them my life becomes better when I'm single again. And of course there's the women who don't effect my life whatsoever, but they just want sex every once in a while, ah yes the friends with benefits. This really is probably an almost ideal situation for me, while I may not have that loving feeling, I am enjoying life very much. But often the girl eventually wants more and has to go. Really you should be happy alone before you throw in a woman. Women can make you happy, but they can also make you miserable, and more often than not both. So be healthy, have a good career, see friends often, and try to be happy for the most part no matter what your relationship status might be.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Someone said they liked me a lot and wanted to go out last Friday.

I told him I'm flattered, but that ain't happening.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Single since Christmas Day 2001.

Very happy. Bitches be crazy yo
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am not happy or unhappy really.  Every time I read a arfcom curse thread or hear a friend complain about his wife, then I am happy.

When I want help house shopping, interior decorating tips, travel companion of the opposite sex, a sammich, someone to go out to dinner with, someone to greet me when I come home, then maybe I may feel a little lonely, but not unhappy.

Honestly I think I am one of those men that are checking out of relationships as mentioned in this thread. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1693158_The_Sexodus_Part_1__Men_giving_up_on_Women_and_checking_out_of_Society.html

View Quote

I'm right there with you. My last relationship really put a bad taste in my mouth to the point where I'm jaded about getting into another relationship. I'm pretty much convinced what I'm looking for isn't out there for me.

I'm 38, own my home, have dogs, have awesome family and buddies, and now I'm planning on where I want to travel in the future. I'm sure there will be plenty of depressing days ahead, but overall I'm very blessed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Been single since I started school, almost two years ago.
Shagged a couple of gals in school, but nothing too interesting.
Honestly, just not worth the effort or Bullshit unless it falls into my lap.
I'll be interested in reproducing, once I've got a real job again.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Waiting for ilikeporkchops reply......
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, please allow me to put another spin on this matter. I am 70 yo,,,, had a long-time very happy marriage to a wonderful woman, that unfortunately passed away 3 years ago. Met a beautiful woman my age that had been married 48 years until her husband passed away 3 years ago. We both are financially secure, both own nice homes, and are tired of being lonely and not ''having anybody to come home to, share time with''. At this point-- it looks like at the urging of both my daughters, I will ask her to be my bride sometimes this spring.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well, please allow me to put another spin on this matter. I am 70 yo,,,, had a long-time very happy marriage to a wonderful woman, that unfortunately passed away 3 years ago. Met a beautiful woman my age that had been married 48 years until her husband passed away 3 years ago. We both are financially secure, both own nice homes, and are tired of being lonely and not ''having anybody to come home to, share time with''. At this point-- it looks like at the urging of both my daughters, I will ask her to be my bride sometimes this spring.
View Quote

Stories like this keep me somewhat optimistic that I'll meet someone special at some point in my life. Congratulations sir!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#36]
30 years old, have a career, and I work out 4 times a week.

I live in a big city filled with asian girls and thankfully those are the only type I date.

At any time I can create a POF, OKC, or Match profile and have a girlfriend within a week or two. Biggest problem I have is the girls I've found online have daddy issues and get too attached within weeks.

I'm not the best looking guy but if you make an effort and live in a big city, online dating is awesome and fairly easy.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow, good on you sir. . . that's uplifting to hear.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Single since 2006. Wasn't happy then, not happy now. I've always been a miserable fuck.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Not so much as a kiss in over three years.

Life sucks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Life sucks.
View Quote

Hah. I'm at the 6 year mark.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Lovin' it.

I know so many married guys, and probably only 2 are really happy.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been single for 2 years now and I'm as happy as can be.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Life sucks.

Right there with ya. Be 7 yrs come March or April. I can't rememebr exactly when
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm old and single (divorced many years ago and have grand kids) and enjoy my life very much as it is. I'll never marry again, and don't want a live-in relationship at this point in life either; a casual relationship (read fuckbuddy) suits me just fine. I'm not bitter, and I don't "hate" women or think they're inferior in any way, I just prefer my quiet, rather uncomplicated life over the alternative.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm happily married.  however, if my wife ever left me, I'd remain single for my remaining days.  I had a really good run from the age of 14 up til settling down.  I've had my share.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Hmm... In this day & age it's safer to sleep with my weapons than womenz.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#47]
I just realized the shirt I've been wearing since Friday has been inside out the whole time and I haven't had a shower since Thursday afternoon
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Are you happy being alone, or are you struggling?
View Quote

Alone?? I have so many unhappily married friends that come over to hang out that I am never alone!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#49]
i was single for about 15 years between marriages, and swore I'd never get married again. It was feast-or-famine, but in general I was having a pretty good time. Then I met a girl that I knew I couldn't let slip through my fingers. I was actually disappointed because I didn't want to settle down again, but I knew I'd regret it if I didn't. And it's been getting better and better ever since.

But my advice in general is to stay single. A successful man has almost nothing to gain by getting married, and everything to lose. If you absolutely feel the need, at least visit a few other countries first, and meet women who are happy being women. The American factory default is 'alimony bomb looking for a place to go off'.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Been single with zero female contact for several years with no end in sight.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm happy but I'll say I'm resigned to my fate.

Not happy but not unhappy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top